Attacked By A Begging Farang

rainman

How did you pay your taxi fare - plastic?

Can't you spare a hundred baht or so for someone in need?

Maybe one day you will fall on hard times.

I've given large amounts of money to people in need knowing very well I won't ever see it again. That's not the problem. Its the fact that this guy was obviously lying to me and not needing the money for his airport tax. Otherwise he could go to the embassy and tell them that he ran out of money and they will arrange for his flight back, accommodation and food for the next 2-3 days until they can get him on a flight. Once back in his home country, the homeless shelter will take care of him if needed.

Even if you go to the Thai police and tell them you ran out of money, they will deport you back to your home country.

By his aggressiveness, I am thinking he was a drug addict.

Drug addicts are not bad people, but sick people.

The British Embassy will NOT give everyone a flight home if they don't have money.

The Thai police don't deport you unless you commit a serious crime.

The British Embassy will NOT give ANYONE a flight home if they don't have money!!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been approached by street beggars in most cities in the world and usually I respond with a quick sharp no ,break eye contact and walk on,don't get into a conversation of any sort.

If cornered by an aggresive beggar who is drunk or high I pull out a handful of coins/small bills from my decoy pocket and say here you are and make sure I drop some of them,whilst he goes for them I am away from there at speed (only had to do this twice).

those lazy sows who si on the BTS stations around Sukhumvit with their babies, bloody disgusting.

Maybe you should suggest they take a trip to the local Social Security Office next time you pass them.

I know you are just trolling but come on. They are not forced to beg for money, they are hustling. The kids have a new puppy every single month. Mom are Dad are around the corner consuming whiskey. Begging in Bangkok is controled by gangs. You claim to have lived in Thailand for years. Either you have done very little learning while you are here or you just enjoy winding people up.

If cornered by an aggresive beggar who is drunk or high I pull out a handful of coins/small bills from my decoy pocket and say here you are and make sure I drop some of them,whilst he goes for them I am away from there at speed (only had to do this twice).

This is more fun with two or more drunken, aggresive beggars! :o

Most begging is controlled by organized crime. But certainly not all of it, some (locals, Europeans, Africans, etc.) slip through the net and manage to scam/beg until they annoy or cross paths with the wrong person.

:o

I've given large amounts of money to people in need knowing very well I won't ever see it again. That's not the problem. Its the fact that this guy was obviously lying to me and not needing the money for his airport tax. Otherwise he could go to the embassy and tell them that he ran out of money and they will arrange for his flight back, accommodation and food for the next 2-3 days until they can get him on a flight. Once back in his home country, the homeless shelter will take care of him if needed.

Even if you go to the Thai police and tell them you ran out of money, they will deport you back to your home country.

By his aggressiveness, I am thinking he was a drug addict.

Sounds like a sure scam!!!

2-3 years ago, a similar scam by 3-4 foreigners, who for roughly 6 months were walking along various bkk hotspots for other foreigners, ie, plon chit, suk, sil, ksan etc, and asking foreigners, first question, do you speak english? then once the foots in the door, the story comes out, back then it was, that they had lost their wallet, or it was stolen, and could they help them out with 100-200 baht, as they had no where to stay blah blah

i know this, as many times they would take it in turns on some areas, and come back to the same area on a monthly basis, forgetting that some of the guys they were stopping in the street, were some of the same guys they asked the month before

they always were by themselves when trying to scam someone, but one guy who was a regular at the bulls head, told me that their meeting point used to be the thai rerstaurant 2 doors away from the bulls head pub

sounds like a new breed of guys are trying the same scam!!!

:D Your becoming more trollish by the day, Neeranam.

This guy is in the 'undesirable' bracket and, along with other scummy undesirables like him, is no doubt one of the driving forces behind Immigration's tougher policies toward us. The prick should be hung, drawn and quartered, or at the very least be strapped to a device like this:

:o

i've met this guy before at chidlom bts - he asked me for taxi money to get to samitivej hospital where his lost wallet was going to be returned - i offered to kick him in the goolies and call him an ambulance... :o

:D:D:D

Sawadee cap neeranam ,

you had better hope some certain ferrang who like to scam and beg dont find out your real name and address mate because from this post that I'm replying to you've got MUG written on your forehead :o:D

The quality of Scum in Thailand gets better everyday. For the OP, sorry you got harassed. Thailand is a beautiful country with fantastic and loving people, its only natural it would also attract some real dirt bags and create a few local ones too. In this case a few rotten apples does not spoil the barrel, they only need sorting.

those lazy sows who si on the BTS stations around Sukhumvit with their babies, bloody disgusting.

Maybe you should suggest they take a trip to the local Social Security Office next time you pass them.

I know you are just trolling but come on. They are not forced to beg for money, they are hustling. The kids have a new puppy every single month. Mom are Dad are around the corner consuming whiskey. Begging in Bangkok is controled by gangs. You claim to have lived in Thailand for years. Either you have done very little learning while you are here or you just enjoy winding people up.

Who's post are you talking about?

im sure this was a quality tourist at one point in his travels...

:o:D:D

In regard to the ENglish Embassy, my understanding was that they would help you contact folks back home to obtain money for a ticket home and if you had no one to call upon would as a very last resort pay for your flight home - provided you surrender your passport until the debt was repaid...........and possible as long as you pawned a kidney :D

When I was in the Embassy 12 years ago (lost passport!) I saw a sign saying they would hand out something like 27B a day (or something equally crazy) for food and board, but only as a loan......would not surprise me if this was no longer on offer - I never saw a similar sign during my trip to the Embassy last May (Marriage stuff).

Sawadee cap neeranam ,

you had better hope some certain ferrang who like to scam and beg dont find out your real name and address mate because from this post that I'm replying to you've got MUG written on your forehead :o:D

-----------------

That would be krap. And I was ashamed to admit it but the beggar was me. I am trying to rehabilitate...

nobody should ever give these people so much as one baht , if they are addicts then they will just use it to feed their destuctive habits , if they are not addicts then they are scamsters.

if you feel charitable towards these people then give something to eat or drink (.... and just see how much you are thanked ... not)

there are many worthwhile charities in this country to donate to in order to help those unable to help themselves , but direct handouts of cash to street people do little to alleviate the genuine or not so genuine hardships that they display.

food and drink excepted.

Edited by taxexile

The quality of Scum in Thailand gets better everyday. For the OP, sorry you got harassed. Thailand is a beautiful country with fantastic and loving people, its only natural it would also attract some real dirt bags and create a few local ones too. In this case a few rotten apples does not spoil the barrel, they only need sorting.

Don't you mean they only need shooting? :o

Was this the dutch guy you see standing with the menu sign?

I would have just told him that you don't pay tax on departure at the airport anymore.

We need beggars. Poor people don't feel so bad when there are baggars around. They also provide a social saftey net. I can rest assured that if I get some terible disease, my wife leaves me etc and I become hooked on drugs, at least there will be one last option to keep me alive - begging.

I wonder how many get mad at this guy but really quite enjoy the superior feeling he gives them, the chosen ones.

Give the guy 50 baht and thank God it's not you! Thank him for letting you know how lucky you are

Edited by Neeranam

Nah neeram, the chosen ones can give food and drink. Thats being charitable while not being a mug. Give money and you risk being taken for a ride, give nothing and its bad for those that are deserving.

These farang beggars are either the low grade, bottom of the food chain scammers or downtrodden souls that need a leg-up to get home. Embassy, food and drink, contact home, get a flight sorted :o Bye Bye, come back when you've made cash to live off.:D

Edited by JimsKnight

We need beggars. Poor people don't feel so bad when there are baggars around. They also provide a social saftey net. I can rest assured that if I get some terible disease, my wife leaves me etc and I become hooked on drugs, at least there will be one last option to keep me alive - begging.

I wonder how many get mad at this guy but really quite enjoy the superior feeling he gives them, the chosen ones.

Give the guy 50 baht and thank God it's not you! Thank him for letting you know how lucky you are

As I recall from a golf thread, you think giving a caddy, someone who actually does a job, a 200 baht tip is outrageous, yet you want to give these ######s cash? Strange set of priorities.

Dr. B

Nah neeram, the chosen ones can give food and drink. Thats being charitable while not being a mug. Give money and you risk being taken for a ride, give nothing and its bad for those that are deserving.

Agreed and I understand that esteemed Mod Buckwheat will be handing out food and drink to some needy beggers in Chiang Mai in the near future. :o

Agreed and I understand that esteemed Mod Buckwheat will be handing out food and drink to some needy beggers in Chiang Mai in the near future. :o

I knew it might come to that, that's what's kept me around so long! :D

The thread title is misleading. I was expecting blood and guts.

You will find crazies in all big cities and Bangkok certainly has it's crazy farangs as well as locals. It's usually entertaining at most and rarely causes you harm.

OK why don't you go and hang about his stalking area and give him some money - it will not help only make him worse

Edited by The Philosopher

...I told him yes I had money but I wouldn't give him anything and told him if he had money problems he should go visit his embassy and they would arrange for his trip back home. He then said that he had already tried that and they wouldn't give him any money. So I knew this guy was lying. Every embassy around the world will arrange for their citizens to get back home...

I saw a documentary a few years back about the UK embassy in BKK. I seem to remember that the line given by them at the time was that they will allow you to use the embassy phone for free to phone friends and family back in the UK to send you money for a ticket, but they won't actually give you the money themselves. This was presumably to prevent a stream of people arriving at the embassy at the end of their stay asking for return tickets back to Blighty. Maybe in special circumstances the embassy would actually pay for the ticket themselves though.

I was at the embassy one morning and a drunk brit off his head was cursing and swearing at the guards that he was entitled to money off the embassy blah blah blah,.it reminded me of when i was in my youth at the dhs office one time when these idiots would throw chairs at the staff for being refused money, sometimes im honestly ashamed to admit im english, i know im going to sound like my father ,.but why did they abolish national service ? Edited by mikethevigoman

I would like a mod to change the title, as has been suggested to "Harassed" v. "Attacked" . I generally don't give a flying, but that may get it past my " view latest posts" deal, which is my M.O of viewing TV. Not a lot of new info for us rusty nails, AIW (my new internet acronym for as it were).

Thanks

Edited by calibanjr.