Where Will You Go When Thailand Does Not Want You?

12call

Indonesia in my opinion is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and the people some of the friendliest. They are a bit grabby though. One thing I like about Thais is that they don't grab on to you and pull you around, unless of course you're in Nana or Patpong.

Indo is so vast, it would take a lifetime to see all the islands. The surfing there is unbelievable as well, if you're a surfer that is, it's paradise. If my Thai wife ever decides she's through with me (doubtful, I love her madly), I'll live in a shack in Indo off an isolated reef with perfect waves, fresh fruit, and an island girl.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not Malaysia! It's safe and we won't put you in jail or call police for tiny small

offence like take a towel from your hotel. They will have a price list in your room

of every items that you might like to take home as a gift.

It's really rediculious for a towel and they put you in jail or stop you from visiting again. This mistake it happen when we acidently package in our laugage.

We are criminal already . Welcome to Amazing Thailand and you will be amazed!

I think we have to give RDN his due....the very least we can say is that his postings do have a sort of even-handedness about them. I would call him an equal opportunity a-hole. And there's many worse things. And he's generally right. :o

I think we have to give RDN his due....the very least we can say is that his postings do have a sort of even-handedness about them. I would call him an equal opportunity a-hole.  And there's many worse things.  And he's generally right. :o

A "generally right, even-handed, equal opportunity, a-hole"? Hmmm, OK, I'll settle for that. :D

Why not Malaysia! It's safe and we won't put you in jail or call police for tiny small

offence like take a towel from your hotel. They will have a price list in your room

of every items that you might like to take home as a gift.

It's really rediculious for a towel and they put you in jail or stop you from visiting again. This mistake it happen when we acidently package in our laugage.

We are criminal already . Welcome to Amazing Thailand and you will be amazed!

Yep Malaysia , it's a blast! :o

im 51 and a single guy --can anyone give me any advice ?

Yes.

First, stay single, do not on any account take up morris dancing, try to cross the road in Bangkok without making a will, go to live in the UK (unless you are reall hard) and most importantly take everything you see on here with a large shovel full of salt.

Samosir Isalnd in Sumatra used to be my fave place outside Los , haven't been in over 8 years though... :o

Lake Toba is very nice, I've met many farang there spending years in retirement. The same problem as in Thailand applies however, one has to leave the country every ninety days. Lake Toba is nice, cool climate, very cheap, friendly people. I've met a German who spent 4000 euro there per year. Lakeview resort rooms can be rented from one dollar up. Don't think it won't be good for that price... there are too many resorts, hotels and no tourists since years.

Sarawudt

Samosir Isalnd in Sumatra used to be my fave place outside Los , haven't been in over 8 years though... :o

Lake Toba is very nice, I've met many farang there spending years in retirement. The same problem as in Thailand applies however, one has to leave the country every ninety days. Lake Toba is nice, cool climate, very cheap, friendly people. I've met a German who spent 4000 euro there per year. Lakeview resort rooms can be rented from one dollar up. Don't think it won't be good for that price... there are too many resorts, hotels and no tourists since years.

Sarawudt

Absolutely , still the cheapest place I have visited on this earth , the Batak are amongst the friendliest also , did some great fishing in Lake Toba.

I met a nice girl in Parapat who worked in the Hotel Niagara , that's a different story.

Jetman was another character on Samosir , I'll go back one day...... :D

I'll be hiding in the threads of Thaivisa.com :D

I'm thinking of Cambodia.

I went to Brasil and discovered a very interesting night life. It was great especially as I'm a Latino but renting an appartment in Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro, I found it very unsafe. The inflation also was astonishing. It's better to get there when you're single...too many beautiful and hot blooded girls.

I went to Sumatra which is abolutely wonderful, spent some time in Lake Toba but definitely prefer Bukitlawan as it is in the jungle. Made wonderful Muslim friends and lived with the orang outangs. No electricity, drinking and singing every night. Counterpart: no girl at all. But that was about 15 years ago, it has changed and being white in Muslim countries in my opinion is not so safe. I've got a family now so things are different.

North India (Kashmir and Laddakh) made me older in my mind so I don't really want to get back there.

I didn't like Malaysia.

Laos is nice but I find it boring.

Myanmar, for some reasons should be my destination but can't with the actual regime.

I've never been to Philippines even I've always heard about that was a nice country. I'd like to see one day.

As I sailed and cross the Atlantic ocean in a small catamaran, also the Mediterannean sea; I've loved the sea and since have dreamt about living on a 17 metre aluminium race-cruiser spashing about around the South-east Asia and Pacific Islands, but unfortunately I think this will remain a dream... :D

So, As I don't want to live in Europe anymore (the last time I went there was 7 and a half years ago), as I can't afford to buy a boat (even less than 10 metres :o ) and as I love Thaïland and South-east Asia, being not too young and fed up with for the border runs, I think Cambodia which is not too far from my actual living place remains a reasonable choice for me.

Let's wait and see.

Sarawudt

Absolutely , still the cheapest place I have visited on this earth , the Batak are amongst the friendliest also , did some great fishing in Lake Toba.

I met a nice girl in Parapat who worked in the Hotel Niagara , that's a different story.

Jetman was another character on Samosir , I'll go back one day...... :D

Lake Toba is also my cheapest place on earth, it's apart from being cheap just wonderful. I ate a lot of magic mushroom pancakes, I saw the grass growing faster than a dog could run.

It comes closest to heaven on earth than anything else I know,

however,

don't fool around with the ladies. A friend of mine who slept with two ladies was forced to marry one of them after her brother found out. They won't let you go off the island before getting married.

Lake Toba is also my cheapest place on earth, it's apart from being cheap just wonderful. I ate a lot of magic mushroom pancakes, I saw the grass growing faster than a dog could run.

It comes closest to heaven on earth than anything else I know,

however,

don't fool around with the ladies. A friend of mine who slept with two ladies was forced to marry one of them after her brother found out. They won't let you go off the island before getting married.

Ahh the Mushroom omelettes/pancakes , regards the ladies , I "fooled around" like a biatch on heat , but always made sure the family was non the wiser... :o

Maybe I shouldn't go back for a while :D

In the northern climes of Sumatra ( Indo) a 3 hour boat ride from Penang will take you to the capital of Sumatra , Medan , another 3 hour taxi ride will take you to Parapat , this is on the shores of Danu Toba , the worlds largest Volcanic lake.

In the centre of Lake Toba is Samosir Isalnd.

Wiser yet? :o

In the northern climes of Sumatra ( Indo) a 3 hour boat ride from Penang will take you to the capital of Sumatra , Medan , another 3 hour taxi ride will take you to Parapat , this is on the shores of Danu Toba , the worlds largest Volcanic lake.

In the centre of Lake Toba is Samosir Isalnd.

Wiser yet? :D

Am now thanks :o

Sounds an interesting place .

Hi,

Try Malaysia....... it is not perfect, nothing is perfect. Give it a try.

Some important info about Malaysia.

A multi-racial, multi-culutural, multi-religious nation.

Islam is the official religion. Freedom of worship for all other races.

Population, the majority Malays, then Chinese, Indians and other ethnic

races in East Malaysia, that is Sabah and Sarawak.

Malay is the offical language and English is the second language of this nation.

English is very widely spoken in this nation.

Parliament is based on British type of Parliament.

Laws are written in Malay (official) and also in English.

High court, Appeal court and Federal court (the supreme court) could

be conducted in English with special consent.

Most of the TV programs are in English.

You will be surprised to know that the Chinese and Indians speak English

with one another. I, being Chinese speaks English and Chinese at the same

time to my wife and with other Chinese friends. It may sound strange to you, but

it is a normal system of life here. After all, we were under British rule,

until Malaysia got its independence from Britian in 31 August, 1957.

As I have said, nothing is perfect over here. Give it a try.

I am a regular traveller to Thailand, a five hours drive from my home.

I can tell you this. I feel much safer over here (Malaysia)..... when law and order is concerned.

The laws here is based on English jurisprudence.

Try the New Super (non-stop/six lane) highway, from Danok,Thailand/Bukit Kayu Hitam, Malaysia

right up to the Singapore border..... non-stop if you want to. Three lanes up and three lanes down.

You have to pay toll fees, of course.

Nothing is perfect here. But life still has to go on.

Have a pleasant trip. You will be given a 30 days visa on arrival. No problem.

One final word of advice. For drugs smugglers, the death penalty is mandatory.

Try this website : http://www.tourism.gov.my/

Malaysia also has an interesting retirement scheme, Singapore just launched a new visa program that welcomes entrepreneurs based on ideas, businessplans and not on money in the bank. Both countries actually make people feel welcome.

Try this website: http://www.retiringinmalaysia.com/aboutus.html

This is for those who wants to retire in Malaysia.

It is called: Malaysia, My Second Home.

I for one like Malaysia a lot.

I have been going there regularly for the last 15 years.

Nice country with nice people.

Very friendly and most of them speaking english.

Quite cheap.

Actually, I do not think it it more expensive than Thailand.

I like Thailand but I sure would not mind living in Malaysia.

I spend lots of time in Thailand and in Brasil. I am an early retiree of age 35. It is so amazing how many people I ran into in streets of thailand who I met before on the beaches in Brasil. There are lots of long time world vacationers like me and I guess Thailand and Brasil are very much top 2 destinations.

Could it have something to do with....the hot chicks in the respective countries?

And the music, beaches as been mentioned, mountians & friendly women! Portuguese is easier to learn than Thai but #1 will always be LOS.

Sexy Beast and anyone living in Cambodia...

I've visited Cambodian now five times and enjoyed myself every time...I've thought about possibly relocating there but am hesitant because of the lack of medical facilities.

Can anyone give me an idea of what life is like for a retiree/expat in Cambodia...Is Phnom Phen the place to be? S'ville? What to do? There doesn't seem to be much going on that I could see and I think after a week or so I might get bored...the infrastructure here in Pattay is good, lots to do, easy to travel, etc.