O.k. Major Help Needed.

I wouldn't call that amount a nest egg. A twig maybe with a speck of tepid omelette perhaps.

Poverty sucks in any country.

I say come over for a long holiday, enjoy a honeymoon with the Thai lady, and then fly back to reality.

Then in your twilight years you can reflect, "at least we had Nakhon Nowhere ..."

Edited by Jingthing

TROLL ALARM....?

Robeetle:

* Male; 54 years of age; November 30 he will be 55.

* Been to Thailand 5 times

* Managed to save US$ 10.000

* Thai gal wants to marry him

* Wants to live in Chiang Mai

* Can't meet Visa regulations

Hmmmm... :D

* maybe his topic should have been called: "O.k. Major Help & Cash Needed"

I'm going to have a :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

TROLL ALARM....?

Robeetle:

LaoPo

Thanks for labeling me a troll......I just had a legit question, so maybe it is out of line to you, but, I actually do have people in Thailand that I have known for 5 years. Kindly refrain from slamming me ...but if you must, make yourself feel better and flame on ....its easy to do from half a world away., because obviously you are no help to anybody else. So, I dont have a lot of money...does that mean I can't have a dream to get out of this hel_l hole called the USA?...Thanks...Pal

If you want to retire to SE Asia and you aren't coming into a windfall, you might start dreaming of the Philippines instead. When you reach social security age, you are likely to be able to well qualify for and afford a retirement there. I never thought you were a troll and sorry if anything I said sounds rude. It just ain't easy, buddy.

You could also stay on business visas right now in Cambodia. But you have to figure out a way to actually start a business that makes money pretty quickly to be able to really live there long term. And you don't have much capital to start much of a business. Maybe your business friends in Thailand will have an idea or help with that.

Edited by Jingthing

No it doesn't mean that you can't dream of getting out of the US. It just means that it may be difficult for you if you come. You job prospects are probably less appealing here than they are in the US and if you end up coming here you could find most of your savings disapearing fairly quickly.

You may be able to take a TEFL course and find work as a teacher and make just enough to get by and many people are ok with that.

I think people are trying to warn you that it will not be an easy life in paradise, but then again it just depends on what your looking for.

I remeber a news story my wife told me about a westerner who bought a piece of land with his wife in Isarn and basically lives the life of a poor Thai farmer. She said in the interview when asked about being poor he said, "I'm not poor, I have a house to keep me dry when it rains and I have food to eat everyday."

So like I said, it all depends on what type of lifestyle you are looking for...

But you also need to make sure that if you are thinking about a life style as simple as the one stated above, you might want to check with the Thai girl who wants to marry you to ensure she would be ok with the same...

Edited by CWMcMurray

You can dream all you want, but let's just summarize your situation:

50 years

10.000 USD.

No regular income (or do you get any pension ?)

You could go to thailand on excempt stamps and tourist visas, as you don't qualify for non immigrant O visa. Anyway, there is no way you could retire with that kind of cash. It won't last long in Thailand. So maybe you might be better off to work a few more years back in the US, build up your saving account, and try this adventure say 10 years later. Alternatively you could try to get employment locally, but it's going to be hard, that way at least you have regular income.

Good luck, you are going to need it on these terms.

Gosh darn it you guys, would you pause for a moment before suggesting seriously that a guy who's never (apparently) taught before, and has worked in trades such as drumming and construction, to teach English in Thailand? Most of us who have done it, bitched and moaned like cats being run over by a motorbike! Could you please refer to my prior post about how unsuitable most folks are, how difficult the work is, how lousy it pays, how the OP is not qualified, and how unlikely he'll be legal in Chiang Mai of all places? Gee whiz, the only employment I ever got (when I was overqualified) in Chiang Mai proper, was at 7,200 baht per month!!

What is this guy who only has about $10K now, supposed to do after 12 or 15 months, when his original B visa runs out? Spend $3,000 more running home to get another 12 month visa on which he won't get a work permit, either?

robeetle, if you're sitting at age 54 in the USA with no more than 12 or 13 thousand dollars, and don't possess the skills to teach English well, your chances of surviving here (in Chiang Mai, the only place you mentioned) are virtually nil. But if you're in love, true love as in Princess Bride, nothing else matters. Can you eat somtam for 3 meals per day?

TROLL ALARM....?

Robeetle:

LaoPo

Thanks for labeling me a troll......I just had a legit question, so maybe it is out of line to you, but, I actually do have people in Thailand that I have known for 5 years. Kindly refrain from slamming me ...but if you must, make yourself feel better and flame on ....its easy to do from half a world away., because obviously you are no help to anybody else. So, I dont have a lot of money...does that mean I can't have a dream to get out of this hel_l hole called the USA?...Thanks...Pal

I didn't mean to offend you...look at the BIG question mark.

I summed the facts that you posted yourself and those facts aren't prosperous.

You're new here and nothing wrong with that, but your post just smelled like a troll and Thaivisa has seen a LOT of them in the past.

OK, so you're not a troll and for my part, yes of course you can dream to get the hel_l out of your own environment, but maybe it's better to be more realistic and listen to the advise of other people in Thailand that your facts aren't exactly worth dreaming of living a [better] life...in Thailand.

That's what you asked: help, but HOW can people help you if you can't meet the standards, set up by the Thai government ? (read: visa rules)

Wish you luck though and maybe you can manage to live in LOS after all, who knows, but you ?

LaoPo :D

Gosh darn it you guys, would you pause for a moment before suggesting seriously that a guy who's never (apparently) taught before, and has worked in trades such as drumming and construction, to teach English in Thailand? Most of us who have done it, bitched and moaned like cats being run over by a motorbike! Could you please refer to my prior post about how unsuitable most folks are, how difficult the work is, how lousy it pays, how the OP is not qualified, and how unlikely he'll be legal in Chiang Mai of all places? Gee whiz, the only employment I ever got (when I was overqualified) in Chiang Mai proper, was at 7,200 baht per month!!

What is this guy who only has about $10K now, supposed to do after 12 or 15 months, when his original B visa runs out? Spend $3,000 more running home to get another 12 month visa on which he won't get a work permit, either?

robeetle, if you're sitting at age 54 in the USA with no more than 12 or 13 thousand dollars, and don't possess the skills to teach English well, your chances of surviving here (in Chiang Mai, the only place you mentioned) are virtually nil. But if you're in love, true love as in Princess Bride, nothing else matters. Can you eat somtam for 3 meals per day?

I wasn't trying to say he should, would be qualified to or enjoy teaching. I just am saying that is about te only job he can realistically even attempt. He is not going to be hired by any MNC or Thai company, he doesn't have enough money to open any sort of business of his own and all of the work he has previously done he can't do here. I am just saying his options are slim... Just because he has never taught doesn't mean he can't ,it just means the percentage is low. If he does come he should just hope that he can teach, he loves it, and he can find a job with his qualifications in CM because he is absolutely going to need to find work. He will also face dificulty on the visa front at a time when it is getting more difficult to stay if you are not legal.I hope this better qualifies my above statement; I am in no way calling for unqualified teachers to come to Thailand or that it is an easy job that anyone can or should do.

Wow, wasn't there a recent advertisement for a poor older drummer somewhere.

Must of been a nightclub in the U.S. though.

A more productive retirement plan may be best for now but good luck and most of the

down and outs I met in Thailand, bad luck was a good thing. Seems all of them hated where

they come from also, can only wonder why.

Thanks to all that participated in my query. Teaching English is O U T for me...boring, I teach music...Rock drums to be exact, and I saw many fine bands while there for 2 months.

I find it hard to beleive there isnt a need for a good music teacher there, but its thailand. My gal Is fro Sakon Nakon, and knows that I don t have money so, thats not the issue.

I guesss Ill just stay here and dream.