O.k. Major Help Needed.

O.K....I have visited Thailand 5 times, have a few contacts spread out from Krabi, to Chiang Mai..

I don't know squat about what I have to do to move here. I want to live in Chiang Mai. I am over 50 years old, dont have a huge nest egg to fall back on. I have found housing and possible job opportunities but the jobs are NOT offers.

What do I need to do to get this done?...I want to move in January or early february.

Please help if you can.

Sincerely...Rob

O.K....I have visited Thailand 5 times, have a few contacts spread out from Krabi, to Chiang Mai..

I don't know squat about what I have to do to move here. I want to live in Chiang Mai. I am over 50 years old, dont have a huge nest egg to fall back on. I have found housing and possible job opportunities but the jobs are NOT offers.

What do I need to do to get this done?...I want to move in January or early february.

Please help if you can.

Sincerely...Rob

As you are over 50 you can go the retirement route but you cannot work

Just get yourself legaly in Thailand (even a 30 days stamp is ok)

Open a bank account and credit at least 800k baht

Goto your local immigration with copy of bank book, bank statement and ask to have your stamp converted into an Non-Im O status. It will be valid for 90 days.

before the end of the 90days aplly with same documents for an extension of 1 year, repeat every year.

If you want to work, others will post the requirements but I don't think it is easy unlessyou have a Thai wife or child

Good luck

Please help if you can.

Sincerely...Rob

As you are over 50 you can go the retirement route but you cannot work

Just get yourself legaly in Thailand (even a 30 days stamp is ok)

Open a bank account and credit at least 800k baht

Goto your local immigration with copy of bank book, bank statement and ask to have your stamp converted into an Non-Im O status. It will be valid for 90 days.

before the end of the 90days aplly with same documents for an extension of 1 year, repeat every year.

If you want to work, others will post the requirements but I don't think it is easy unlessyou have a Thai wife or child

Good luck

Wow...thatks for the quick response....800k Baht...thats like about $20,000 us dollars correct?

Actually, 800K is about 15% more than $20K US. At 34 baht to the US$, it's $23,529.

If you want to work, an American honorary consulate might grant you a long term (6 or 12 month) B non-immigrant business visa. The only work you're likely to find is to teach English, for which you really should be a native speaker of English, have any bachelor's degree, and be very patient, hard working, energetic, and tolerant of students. In Chiang Mai, you'd be extremely lucky even under those circumstances (and a TEFL certificate) to be legal within 6 to 12 months. You might start out earning 25,000 baht per mont, 10 months max in your first year in Thailand.

You need a work permit to do any work legally, and you cannot work on a retirement visa.

Good luck. Any more questions?

Actually, 800K is about 15% more than $20K US. At 34 baht to the US$, it's $23,529.

If you want to work, an American honorary consulate might grant you a long term (6 or 12 month) B non-immigrant business visa. The only work you're likely to find is to teach English, for which you really should be a native speaker of English, have any bachelor's degree, and be very patient, hard working, energetic, and tolerant of students. In Chiang Mai, you'd be extremely lucky even under those circumstances (and a TEFL certificate) to be legal within 6 to 12 months. You might start out earning 25,000 baht per mont, 10 months max in your first year in Thailand.

You need a work permit to do any work legally, and you cannot work on a retirement visa.

To be fair to myself...I hold no BA in anything. I have played and taught drums and guitar for MANY years and I guarantee you, if I move to CM, I will be the best drummer in town. So, if that is an option, then I have that to fall back on. AS of this moment I only have $10,000 saved up. If I need $20,000 plus I will have no nest egg to fall back on.

I just want a simple life, and do not require all things western. also have many skills in construction, shipping, forklift, driving, boat building, and too many other to list.

Will this be of any help......also I have a thai gal that wants to marry me....thanks

I have a thai gal that wants to marry me...

Does she know your net worth is only $10,000? :o

Seriuosly, although you've only provided a brief sketch of your situation, I think it's clear that you are not in a position to move to Thailand. It's inevitable that within a few months you would be broke and in big trouble. You'll be stuck here as an illegal alien, without enough money to leave and possibly nowhere to go.

That may seem like a harsh assessment, but we see it happen all the time.

I'll make that unanimous, so far. We can surely find somebody who will say you can live an extremely simple life with no electricity or running water for 8,000 baht a month, but you probably cannot work legally, cannot qualify for a legal visa, ....so we think in real time, it can't be done. Even if you're a better drummer and vocalist than Phil Collins and Don Henley combined.

......also I have a thai gal that wants to marry me....thanks[/i]

I'm not sure if that would be classed as an opportunity or a threat to your survival in LOS. I think that most board members have several general Thai gals who'd jump at the possibility of marriage. Selectivity is the key.

Good luck

Just to prevent any misunderstandings......having a Thai wife or a child, does not give you the right to work in Thailand. (That's probably not what Krub meant anyway). If you have a job offer, you can apply for a work permit, actually the employer should do this for you. First step towards getting a work permit is a non immigrant B (business) visa.

First step towards getting a work permit is a non immigrant B (business) visa.

You, respectively your employer for you, can apply for a work permit regardless of the visa with which you enter Thailand. If and when you find employment and have a work permit, and if the employer meets certain criteria, you can then apply for an extension of stay, and if necessary apply first for a change of visa status to non-immigrant.

--

Maestro

Wow....thanks you all for the great responses, altho, I have to admit, I am a bit depressed at the inabilities to move there with such a small amount of money. Getting people into the us is not easy these days since the president has created hatred for its people worldwide.

I do have a friend in Bkk that might be willing to open a shop in Chiang Mai and have me run it, This is another possibility.

So, any more ideas will help, and thank you so much,,,humor included.

what do some of you do for work besides teaching.?

I did meet one teacher from England while there (recently returned from 2 months there)

Hust curious, I have many construction skillsm computer skills etc.

any help will be rewarded with a pair of my award winning earrings.

Thanks

Since you are only 50 y.o, bank on about $100,000 to help you survive the next 10 or so years until you can start collecting Social Security. Even then, the $100K might not be enough for you to live on forever. SS does not pay much these days.

If your net worth is only $10K, then you should perhaps just continue working and forget about retirement until you are of the proper age (in the US). Until then, just save, save, save your money.

Btw, I pulled the $100K figure out of the air. However when you think about it, you will need $20K+ just to qualify for the Thai retirement visa, which will leave you with approximately $77K.... for 10 years! Think of housing, food, medical, transportation, visa runs, companions, beer, etc $77K is not much. And if I understood it correctly, every year you have to reapply for the Thai retirement visa... thus you have to show that you have the $20K+ in the bank!

Anyhow, think about everything with your brain... not your head.

Edited by Gumballl

You don't need a "big"amount of money - but you need enough to satisfy immigration and the rules and as for working many jobs are protected and cannot be undertaken by farangs - teaching English is one that is available but without a degree and experience it is not easy to find anything that will be secure and allow you to stay without any hassles. My advice is take another trip and spend the time carefully investigation work options as well as undertaking some form of English teaching training if you feel are are suited to this.

You need to show immigration 20,000 dollars per year coming into the country from abroad.

Therefore you need 200,000 dollars for a ten year period.

This doesn't help the original poster who won't be retiring to Thailand unless he comes into a windfall.

That info is just wrong.

The requirement for retirement visa is to prove a pension of 65K baht per month and/or a bank account of 800K baht. Or combo.

That converts to currrent rates 23,500 dollars, not 20,000.

But you do not need to transfer any of your pension into Thailand or prove you have. And the bank account method does not require you to transfer in a FRESH 800K annually. There is no minimum SPENDING requirement. Of course you will spend, but the amount is up to you.

There are minimum SHOWING the money requirements, indeed, annually.

Your interpretation of the rules does not reflect the actual rules.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the best visa to get here would be to get the multiple entry visa issued in a thai consulate office in the states. You will have to do the border run every 90 days. For living here. Then you don't need to have 800K in a thai bank or proof of your income. If you have limited funds. Living in a tourist area in LOS you might not survive with your funds. Your best bet is, living at the TG's village. You will have to fix up the place your living at. Or maybe be able to rent a place cheap. I rented a couple place up north. A house for 3,000 baht & 2,000 for a apartment. Both were in good shape. So you can loook around. At first you will put out a lot of cash. For personal things you need. Probably buy at Lotus, BigC or CarreFour. You will also consider transportation, health care and other items required. One other thing is. If you smoke cigarette and drink a lot. I would recommend to quit those habits. It can be done living under 20K a month. If it doesn't work out you can always go back to the states.

Edited by Larryst

Or maybe be able to rent a place cheap. I rented a couple place up north.

A house for 3,000 baht & 2,000 for a apartment. Both were in good shape.

You will also consider transportation, health care and other items required.

One other thing is. If you smoke cigarette and drink a lot.

I would recommend to quit those habits. It can be done living under 20K a month.

Does the OP want to live in Thailand, or just exist there...........................

I would recommend to quit those habits. It can be done living under 20K a month.

Does the OP want to live in Thailand, or just exist there...........................

With $20,000 per year it will only be existing.

$20,000 US a year is more than enough but the op doesn`t have any where near that amount. So yes he will struggle unless he can find an income from somewhere.

20,000 a year is plenty, you can live a comfortable middle class lifestyle for 20,000 a year. At 34baht to the dollar that is 56,000 baht a month. Thats about what I spend every month and for that I get a 2 bedroom townhouse with all of the amenities like A/C, UBC(cable), wireless internet access, car payment, motorcycle payment, gas for both, all of my food for the month and still have a little bit of spending cash left over for the little things here and there. Granted I don't smoke and drink, if I did it would most definately cost me more.

To be fair to myself...I hold no BA in anything. I have played and taught drums and guitar for MANY years and I guarantee you, if I move to CM, I will be the best drummer in town. So, if that is an option, then I have that to fall back on. AS of this moment I only have $10,000 saved up. If I need $20,000 plus I will have no nest egg to fall back on.

I just want a simple life, and do not require all things western. also have many skills in construction, shipping, forklift, driving, boat building, and too many other to list.

Will this be of any help......also I have a thai gal that wants to marry me....thanks

More cannon fodder for the wenches of CM. Do yourself a favor and save your nest egg and stay home.