Visa Run To Laos What Do I Need & Any Advice?

Hi all,

i have had a search but couldnt seem to find relevant info.

next week my Tourise Multiple Entry Visa expires, so am planning a trip to Laos for a 60 day Tourist Visa. Im going to get the train from bangkok.

i have a few questions,

1. can i purchase a Laos visa on the border or do i have to get one from bangkok?

2. how long does the Visa process take once im there?

3. Is it ok to book the train (return leg) once im back in los, or do i have to do this in advance?

4. what paperwork do i need bring?

many thanks and if anyone wants to let me know where to stay in vientienne then all the better.

kopite

1. can i purchase a Laos visa on the border or do i have to get one from bangkok?

Easily done at the border , just bring 2 photos.

2. how long does the Visa process take once im there?

It is quick , you can process your visa and cross within an hour

3. Is it ok to book the train (return leg) once im back in los, or do i have to do this in advance?

If you want a sleeper better to book in advance , these tickets can be refunded or changed for a small fee

4. what paperwork do i need bring?

Passport , photos and MONEY!

many thanks and if anyone wants to let me know where to stay in vientienne then all the better.

There are gluts of hotels around the river front.

Edited by JimmyTheMook

It is quick , you can process your visa and cross within an hour

is that a one hour process for the laos visa (entering laos) or is it for entering laos obtaining THAI VISA then back into LOS

thanks for help jimmy

That's the process for the Lao visa on arrival, even though, you would be very unlucky if it would take that long, more like 10 minutes.

From the Bridge it's another half hour into town, the process to obtain the Thai tourist visa would be submitting on day 1, get passport on day 2.

That's the process for the Lao visa on arrival, even though, you would be very unlucky if it would take that long, more like 10 minutes.

From the Bridge it's another half hour into town, the process to obtain the Thai tourist visa would be submitting on day 1, get passport on day 2.

thats what i thought.

cheers lads

You actually only need 1 picture. Don't listen to the tuktuk drivers on the Thai side. YOu don't need a visa before you cross the bridge. That is a scam. YOu get a visa IN Laos after crossing the bridge on a bus for 20 baht. Go to VIsa on arrival. Pay$35 plus $1 if no picture and another $1 if holday.

It is an official requirement to obtain the tourist vsia , but I would be surprised if they will actually ask for it.

Otherwise get a cheapo ticket, or better yet a full fare ticket, which is changable each time, you need to apply.

edit:

Here is the visa application form, http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

They don't mention the onward ticket requirement, so I wouldn't worry, just fill in the form, give them the photo's and the money.

Enjoy Vientiane, I really love this city, as it's quiet but has character. For great food, do try the restaurants at the river (open air restaurants) dirt cheap and fabulous Lao Food.

Edited by sjaak327