The Heat Is On!

Pepe'

Pepe' can you clarify what heat rash is?

is it the chaffing that sometimes occurs around the tops of your legs where your undies are not smooth enough?

I have heard a lot about heat rash but not sure if I have ever suffered from it, as I am not sure what it is.

is it the chaffing that sometimes occurs around the tops of your legs where your undies are not smooth enough?

I have heard a lot about heat rash but not sure if I have ever suffered from it, as I am not sure what it is.

-------------------------

Heat rash can really show up anywhere. But the area you describe is one of the worst spots. Heat rash is usually a type of contact dermatitis. That is irritation from some allergen or other irritating substance.

Put that together with intense heat, moisture, friction and darkness it's common to get secondary bacterial infections that if go untreated can become quite serious staph, strep etc.

I was just wondering if there are any uncommon remedies that may have been used in Thailand.

-------------------------

Heat rash can really show up anywhere. But the area you describe is one of the worst spots. Heat rash is usually a type of contact dermatitis. That is irritation from some allergen or other irritating substance.

Put that together with intense heat, moisture, friction and darkness it's common to get secondary bacterial infections that if go untreated can become quite serious staph, strep etc.

I was just wondering if there are any uncommon remedies that may have been used in Thailand.

shower frequintly ,stay in the shade ...........

I have had a problem with chafing and heat rash all of my life and have never found a solution. I shower regularly but I have always been prone to excessive sweating (No matter where my fitness level is at) which is a major factor in this problem. Loose cotton clothing never worked for me. I have used powders with varying levels of success. Fitted trunk style underwear with longer legs delay the onset but it still comes.

Experienced soldiers in jungle environments seldom use underclothes under their fatigues, this allows for more air circulation, less direct friction and less dark places for bacteria to flourish. Worked for them.

Do not shower with hot water (first suggested by my physician)....this aggravates it...the colder the better...I love hot showers...oh well...

Maybe try changing the soap you shower with (first suggested by my physician) to eliminate possible allergic reactions to perfume, color, etc....Dove?...

I've found medicated nappy rash cream works wonders for me whenever i get heat rash and chafing on my inner thighs. Shower in cool water and dry thoroughly before applying the cream.

Wear loose fitting light pants and no underwear.

My magical remedy in Thailand is to avoid sweating by staying in air conditioned places for 95% of the day (and night).

My exercise is swimming, which is fantastic in tropical conditions because you don't sweat no matter how hard you push yourself.

My magical remedy in Thailand is to avoid sweating by staying in air conditioned places for 95% of the day (and night).

My exercise is swimming, which is fantastic in tropical conditions because you don't sweat no matter how hard you push yourself.

When I was younger and swam laps in our local heated pool in winter it was quite common (and quite unpleasant) to sweat whilst swimming. Granted it's hard to tell what is sweat and what is pool water.

I personally can't stand A/C and I do a lot of walking which is often unavoidable. Anybody have solutions that don't require you to remove yourself from society?

Gold Bond, yes I'm using it here.

Actually reducing alcohol and greasy foods in the diet seems to help.

TCM says that these kind of foods and drink create additional toxic heat internally that aggravates any kind of skin condition especially prickly heat.

Eat more cool foods cucumber watermelon salads etc...

Normally this is not a problem and it clears right up with a few applications of Gold Bond.

I just started applying a light coat of triple antibiotic ointment to the affected areas then putting on the gold bond and I seem to be gaining on it.

The problem is I been spending a lot of time landscaping my place. The movement, heat, sweat and all the dirt just keep aggravating it.

Well back to the powder room. What was that antibiotic powder one of you guys was talking about? :o

When I was younger and swam laps in our local heated pool in winter it was quite common (and quite unpleasant) to sweat whilst swimming. Granted it's hard to tell what is sweat and what is pool water.

It must have been a very hot pool to sweat whilst swimming. It's not recommended to lap swim in pools over about 29°C - I have done it before when I had no choice, but it's not very pleasant because the body can't cool down in hot water as it can in air through perspiration.

I swim 3 - 4 km at a good pace, and never sweat. Sure, if I get out quickly after a hard swim, I sweat until my body cools down from the vigorous exercise, but the water takes care of the cooling of the body while you're submerged.

Are you thirsty after swimming? If so then it is because you have lost some of you body's store of water while in the pool. Have you been sweating?...or.... have you been urinating?

Sweating is not the only way to lose body fluids you know. Water is required for every biochemical process in your body. You'll lose water without sweating.

If your theory was correct, then people in cold climates would never need to drink.

I can swim for 90 minutes vigorously and require only a few hundred mls of fluid (while swimming) and I'm not thirsty afterwards.

What does urinating have to do with it?..or...are you just being facetious? Once the fluid passes the kidneys, then it's as good as out...it aint coming back baby.

The fact that a swimmer would need to urinate would indicate that he's not eliminating much fluid. If you do vigorous exercise on land while sweating profusely, then not too much water enters the bladder.

Edited by tropo

Here's one way to keep cool in Thailand

post-18822-1187346816_thumb.jpg

Japan shirt maker sews in fan to beat summer heat

Self-cooling clothes may seem like the stuff of science fiction, but for one Japanese company they are not only good business but a way to help the environment.

Shirts and jackets made by Kuchou-fuku — literally "air-conditioned clothes" — keep the wearer comfortable even in sweltering heat while using one-50th of the energy of a small air conditioner, said Hiroshi Ichigaya, the company's CEO.

"Until now, air-conditioning implied cooling the entire room. Now, we can cool just the body," Ichigaya said.

Two small fans sewn into the back of each garment and powered by a pocket-sized rechargeable battery pack circulate air across the wearer's skin, evaporating perspiration and keeping temperatures down — a welcome respite from Japan's mid-summer humidity and record-breaking heat in recent days.

The self-cooling clothes come in 10 styles and a variety of colours, all priced at 11,000 yen ($110) and sold on the internet and at limited retailers.

But however cool the clothes, they seem unlikely to catch on any time soon. Because the fans puff out the garments with air, they give wearers a deceptively portly look.

"My daughter won't wear them because the shape is no good," Ichigaya admitted.

Cooked Oatmeal   :D   Well yes,  it really works, the "juice" is the best for dermatolgical topical application.  Here, I've found the best stuff is the local mentholated talc. "Snake Brand"  (same same "Snake Oil")  Works for me!.  

CAUTION  Do Not Inhale

Also  Try laying around in shade under fan with cool beer.  Most skin conditions are stress related. :o

Most skin conditions are stress related. :o

That's going a bit far. Maybe some are stress related, but not most.

It's like when the doctor can't work out the cause of something and falls back on the old "must be stress" standby.

"Prickly Heat" is what we called heat rash in Far North Queensland - best old wives treatment was a paste made of cornflour and water.

Had the same problem recently here in Thailand and found out by accident - whilst treating a sprained elbow that the 'Green Herb Oil' which smells like what was called ' wintergreen' in the UK worked wonders and problem solved in less tha a few days and it was driving me mad with the itching.