craighj

I've posted this in the Issan forum, I'm not certain maybe I should have posted here.

Hi guys

My name is Craig and I'm a Newbie to this forum.

I'm travel to Mukdahan in a weeks time to see a friend.

I have a couple of questions, maybe someone can help?

I have an international drivers licence, can you rent a car in Mukdahan?

What are Taxi's like there, easy to get, cost, etc.

Where can a fella get a good beer in Mukdahan, are there any places someone would recommend?

Are there any reasonable places to eat, would someone be able to recommend a place?

I'm staying at the Ploy Palace, I believe this is OK.

If there is anyone interested in having a beer and a chat, please let me know I would be happy to hear about local experiences.

Craig :o

>I have an international drivers licence, can you rent a car in Mukdahan?

I'm sure you could, however I doubt there is much choice, you would probably be getting something via the hotel. If you are safe on the road I would suggest getting a car from Bangkok or Pattaya and enjoy the countryside as you drive up there, it would take about a day.

>What are Taxi's like there, easy to get, cost, etc.

Mukdahan is not a big place, you will not find Bangkok style taxis cruisin' the streets looking for a fare. There are enough motorcy taxis and a normal number of Songthaews (neither a Bangkok or Pattaya excess) for local use. You are more likely to pay the local rates rather than be ripped off.

>Where can a fella get a good beer in Mukdahan, are there any places someone would recommend?

Some tourist focused places to eat/drink dotted around town, I don't recall anything special.

>Are there any reasonable places to eat, would someone be able to recommend a place?

There is a night market that takes over a section of one of the central roads, running East-West near the hospital if I recall correctly, the food there is fine. There is also a strip of market stalls some of which offer food running along the road that is beside the river.

>I'm staying at the Ploy Palace, I believe this is OK.

I don't recall the name of the place I stayed locally some years ago, looking at the pictures of the PP all I can say is that many larger hotels in Thailand look the same having been built from the same blueprints. I do recall there were two larger hotels in the town, the better looking of which was full.

I offer the following links to some maps, printing them out before your trip may prove useful later.

Mukdahan Map 1 and Mukdahan Map 2.

I live about 80 kms fromMukdahan and go there quite often for daytrips (shopping etc). I have stayed at the Ploy Palace once a couple of years ago and it was quite a nice hotel. I think about 900 baht per night with good rooms but from memory the breakfast was pretty average. There is a restaurant close by that does have farang food which Im told is quite good. As you leave the front of the hotel turn left along the road out front and then first corner turn right. About 50 m down is this restaurant. Next to this is a coffee shop run by an american guy called Ralph. He would know more about the nightlife in Mukdahan.

There are a lot of nice restaurant along the river bank as you coninue another 500 m past the riverside markets. Very nice places and excellant Thai food.

Enjoy the area

...another thought.

I seem to remember reading some time ago that the passenger ferry here over to Laos was closed for farang travel, and they were being directed over the new Friendship Bridge.

The 50 Baht crossing was a nice divertion for an afternoon while I was in the area some time ago.

...another thought.

I seem to remember reading some time ago that the passenger ferry here over to Laos was closed for farang travel, and they were being directed over the new Friendship Bridge.

The 50 Baht crossing was a nice divertion for an afternoon while I was in the area some time ago.

That certainly is correct. The new bridge opened in Dec and Im pretty sure the ferry for visa runs finished the same time. The ferrys are still being used to take cargo across the river but all human cargo go via the bridge on busses at a small charge. There is a new immigration office on either side of the river now and Ive been told there is a new building for buying duty free type stuff on the Lao side.

Thanks guys, some good information.

After I been there I will post a report on the hotel and Mukdahan itself.

I must say I'm looking forward to getting up there I've never been up north into Issan.

What type of beers do they have up there?

I quite like Loas beer, is that available ?

Craig

I must say I'm looking forward to getting up there I've never been up north into Issan.

Craig

Hi Craig,

if I can bia Hieneken in a tiny little village in the middle of nowhere you will sure be able to get it there for bht45 or 50 - big bottle.

If you get over to Laos or can get it in Mukdahan, there is a dark bia Lao that is very good.

I tried it over the border at Chong Mek.

Cheap to, only cost Lao kip 9000 per bia.

We got Lao kip 185000 for US20.

Craig

Hi Craig,

if I can bia Hieneken in a tiny little village in the middle of nowhere you will sure be able to get it there for bht45 or 50 - big bottle.

If you get over to Laos or can get it in Mukdahan, there is a dark bia Lao that is very good.

I tried it over the border at Chong Mek.

Cheap to, only cost Lao kip 9000 per bia.

We got Lao kip 185000 for US20.

Thanks Vegimite

The Hienies would not be my first choice but the dark beer sounds good. Not knowing Mukdahan at all it will be an experience. Nothing like having a cold beer on a warm evening.

Craig

> Not knowing Mukdahan at all it will be an experience.

Re. Beer. I seem to remember a Tesco on the road into Mukdahan, but doing a quick online search and Tesco's web site I can't confirm that - I'm probably thinking about another town maybe UR, I don't get down that way often these days.

> Not knowing Mukdahan at all it will be an experience.

Re. Beer. I seem to remember a Tesco on the road into Mukdahan, but doing a quick online search and Tesco's web site I can't confirm that - I'm probably thinking about another town maybe UR, I don't get down that way often these days.

There is definately a Tesco in Mukdahan, albeit a smaller version of the ones in bigger regional centres.