Sub-prime Meltdown Hits Thailand With Force

george

highdiver, come on, the world's richest, most powerful nation by a huge margin, and with one of the most sophisticated agro-mega economies in the world can't figure out how to feed its people?

You can do better than that if you want to American bash.

I don't think we're US bashing here, no need for that.

In my previous post #229 I asked a question HOW America would survive, on it's own, and I supplied the US Import & Export statistics as well...

But, nobody answered and I didn't expect an answer as well, since nobody is able to answer such a question, since such a situation (Isolation/Protectionism) never occurred and probably never will.

Chintee: where & when did I criticize the Americans ? I am posting articles and sometimes give my own comment & view, like we all do, thats all.

Read my signature...if I'm wrong :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

", I often wonder if they ever think about the consequences of what would happen to the worlds' economies if any of these scenarios that they seem to wish on the U.S. so regularly actually happened. The old saying "be careful what you wish for young lady, for you may surely get it" ohmy.gif comes to mind!"

an example of US arrogance?

Arrogant or not, The US has the most and the best of every conceivable thing. including debt.

highdiver, come on, the world's richest, most powerful nation by a huge margin, and with one of the most sophisticated agro-mega economies in the world can't figure out how to feed its people?

You can do better than that if you want to American bash.

I don't think we're US bashing here, no need for that.

In my previous post #229 I asked a question HOW America would survive, on it's own, and I supplied the US Import & Export statistics as well...

But, nobody answered and I didn't expect an answer as well, since nobody is able to answer such a question, since such a situation (Isolation/Protectionism) never occurred and probably never will.

Chintee: where & when did I criticize the Americans ? I am posting articles and sometimes give my own comment & view, like we all do, thats all.

Read my signature...if I'm wrong :o

LaoPo

LaoPo, your views are cool and well documented. Let's let the others speak for themselves.

", I often wonder if they ever think about the consequences of what would happen to the worlds' economies if any of these scenarios that they seem to wish on the U.S. so regularly actually happened. The old saying "be careful what you wish for young lady, for you may surely get it" ohmy.gif comes to mind!"

One mans view of reality is another mans arrogance!

or denial... :D

USA has over 300 million residence and it can not produce enough food to feed them...

if the US economy does fall how will you feed those people when no one will sell you food for worthless dollars?

Highdiver you really need to think (or do some research) before you post :D The U.S. is the breadbasket of the world, it can feed its entire population 2-3 times over! Ther are farmers in the U.S. that get paid not to grow so that grain, wheat, corn or soybeans can increase their price for export.

as per energy and oil...

Oil reserves have declined to the point that annual US oil consumption is now equivalent to about 1/4 of total proven reserves. This means that, if the USA had to supply its own oil, and no new discoveries occurred, its oil would be gone in four years! By importing over 60% of its oil, the inevitable is being postponed. But for how long can this continue?

a nice site that can give you perspective ..http://www.energycrisis.org/US/

only please spare us that they are liberal left wing blah blah...

as per food production.

if america is self sufficiant in food growth why is it importing so much agricultural produce? do they do it just to keep the local prices down? or do they need food?

where are those farms in the USA that are paid not to grow....???? i will be happy to invest in a farm that is paid not to grow... :o

or denial... :D

USA has over 300 million residence and it can not produce enough food to feed them...

if the US economy does fall how will you feed those people when no one will sell you food for worthless dollars?

Highdiver you really need to think (or do some research) before you post :D The U.S. is the breadbasket of the world, it can feed its entire population 2-3 times over! Ther are farmers in the U.S. that get paid not to grow so that grain, wheat, corn or soybeans can increase their price for export.

as per energy and oil...

Oil reserves have declined to the point that annual US oil consumption is now equivalent to about 1/4 of total proven reserves. This means that, if the USA had to supply its own oil, and no new discoveries occurred, its oil would be gone in four years! By importing over 60% of its oil, the inevitable is being postponed. But for how long can this continue?

a nice site that can give you perspective ..http://www.energycrisis.org/US/

only please spare us that they are liberal left wing blah blah...

as per food production.

if america is self sufficiant in food growth why is it importing so much agricultural produce? do they do it just to keep the local prices down? or do they need food?

where are those farms in the USA that are paid not to grow....???? i will be happy to invest in a farm that is paid not to grow... :o

But you don't understand. The US will buy or take whatever it needs in excess oil production. And the preference is to buy....

Last year, I believe, the USA became a net food importer for the first time in it's history. It's not good news for America, but it's far from an irreversible trend. As far as energy is concerned, it still has a great deal of onshore and offshore oil, about 20 bbil bbl equivalent of tarsands, the worlds largest deposits of oil bearing shale, and is the world leader in alternative energy discovery and development (and cost reduction. Here's one I just sold 10 minutes ago.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=FSLR&...id=p41364373537

Yes, we're sometimes arrogant (even when we agree with you), but we've been listening to this crap for years.

I found some of the post of our american friends to be in com;ete denial to what realy going on.

U.S. NATIONAL DEBT CLOCK

The Outstanding Public Debt as of 04 Sep 2007 at 03:38:26 PM GMT is:

USD 8,996,443,170,246.85

The estimated population of the United States is 302,893,375

so each citizen's share of this debt is $29,701.68.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of

$1.44 billion per day since September 29, 2006!

Americans are in complete denial of the situation... they are so in debt it can never be repaid. yet the shopping spree continues...

The amusing thing is the Vegas Vic along with many americans belive that the rest of the world will keep buying this increasing debt as they have no other option.. i wonder what will happen when the world will stop...???

If you notice the original post of mine that statrted all of this banter this morning (or evening over there) , you will see that I adressed this debt situation. Quite simply if push comes to shove and America turns inwards and goes isolationist then this huge debt goes to $0, because America could renig, just as other countries have done on war debts and world bank loans in the past century :D As I have said many times here on TV, be very careful what you wish for :o Now as much as I love this give and take here, I need to head out to the country club to work on my short game as it was my downfall this weekend in the labor day tournament :D Everyone have a good day, or evening as the case may be.

If you notice the original post of mine that statrted all of this banter this morning (or evening over there) , you will see that I adressed this debt situation. Quite simply if push comes to shove and America turns inwards and goes isolationist then this huge debt goes to $0, because America could renig, just as other countries have done on war debts and world bank loans in the past century :D As I have said many times here on TV, be very careful what you wish for :o Now as much as I love this give and take here, I need to head out to the country club to work on my short game as it was my downfall this weekend in the labor day tournament :D Everyone have a good day, or evening as the case may be.

That's a fairly child like view, Its not quite as simple as that - America trades in trust, I mean really I don't think you've thought that through at all. The USA could probably feed itself and perhaps manufacture medicine, but thats about it. America's whole economy is built upon the fact that it DOESN'T do things like what you are suggesting.

That's a fairly child like view, Its not quite as simple as that - America trades in trust, I mean really I don't think you've thought that through at all. The USA could probably feed itself and perhaps manufacture medicine, but thats about it. America's whole economy is built upon the fact that it DOESN'T do things like what you are suggesting.

I agree. The US would never ever renege on treasury debt. Never. It would debase it's currency first.

Also, for the record. The US Federal reserve has said it would buy up all T-Bills that couldn't find a bid.

Is the worst over ? :o

LaoPo

Other promising signs from this article here

Be wary of scary headlines

Commentary: Buy banks now

By John P. Dessauer, John Dessauer's Investor's World

Editor's note: John P. Dessauer writes John Dessauer's Investor's World, a monthly investment advisory newsletter he started in 1980, and is president of John Dessauer Investments. Dessauer owns shares in Citigroup, Countrywide Financial, IndyMac and Wachovia. (dessauerinvestorsworld.com)

NEW YORK (MarketWatch.com) -- The crowd hungers for bad news. Anything that smacks of good news is ignored. Over and over again we have seen that one-sided crowds are soon blindsided.

Here is an example of how headlines feed the appetite for bad news. The Mortgage Bankers Association, MBA, reports weekly on applications for home mortgages. Recently applications for mortgages have been declining. That's no surprise. What's ignored is that applications are still double digits better than a year ago.

snip

A key element in the pessimists' view is that there is no hope for the secondary mortgage market.

Is that right?

Not everyone in the game agrees.

In a press release on Aug. 27, IndyMac Bank (IMB:IndyMac Bancorp Inc) said: "Last Friday, we traded $240 million of AAA bonds backed by Prime Jumbo fixed rate mortgage loans and $350 million of AAA bonds backed by Prime Jumbo adjustable-rate mortgage loans. These are the first bonds we have traded in 36 days, since July 19, 2007, right before fear-induced illiquidity froze the market." IndyMac Chief Michael Perry added that this is the first small sign that the ice is beginning to melt in the secondary mortgage market.

snip

Really how so?

I agree. The US would never ever renege on treasury debt. Never. It would debase it's currency first.

Also, for the record. The US Federal reserve has said it would buy up all T-Bills that couldn't find a bid.

Yes, but reading posts from such economic-Neanderthals is what makes reading TV so entertaining. :D

LaoPo

Editor's note: John P. Dessauer writes John Dessauer's Investor's World, a monthly investment advisory newsletter he started in 1980, and is president of John Dessauer Investments. Dessauer owns shares in Citigroup, Countrywide Financial, IndyMac and Wachovia. (dessauerinvestorsworld.com)

NEW YORK (MarketWatch.com) -- The crowd hungers for bad news. Anything that smacks of good news is ignored. Over and over again we have seen that one-sided crowds are soon blindsided.

Here is an example of how headlines feed the appetite for bad news. The Mortgage Bankers Association, MBA, reports weekly on applications for home mortgages. Recently applications for mortgages have been declining. That's no surprise. What's ignored is that applications are still double digits better than a year ago.

An investment letter editor/owner has to write positive; I get several investment letters every single day and they ALL promise diamonds and gold if you invest with them...

The rise in applications is probably true; what it doesn't say is that a large number of those applications are from people who apply and re-apply several applications at the same time for a new or a re-mortgaging for their present one.

Buying banks now is still risky IMHO.

Interesting to learn that Mr. Dessauer holds Countrywide shares. There's commotion in the US because Mr. Mozilla, CEO and Co-founder of Countrywide is selling and selling his shares and options in his own company making him more wealthy and promoting to buy Countrywide stocks amongst his own staff.... :D

Also interesting is that Mr. Mozilla never ever bought one single share himself in Countrywide; he just granted himself large portions of stock options, apart from his huge income.

The question remains WHY he's constantly selling if he still believes so strong in Countrywide...

LaoPo

APEC Business leaders deny sub-prime is a crisis

"...Defaults on home loans by Americans with bad credit have forced more than 100 mortgage companies to close, while Australian markets have suffered heavy losses from growing concerns about the sub-prime mortgage market."

:o"Business leaders from the Asia Pacific say the US sub-prime credit boilover is serious but not a crisis"

They're probably right since 'serious' has a different meaning than 'crisis'.

It's not a crisis, since a crisis is much worse than serious...

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

"...Defaults on home loans by Americans with bad credit have forced more than 100 mortgage companies to close, while Australian markets have suffered heavy losses from growing concerns about the sub-prime mortgage market."

:o"Business leaders from the Asia Pacific say the US sub-prime credit boilover is serious but not a crisis"

LaoPo

when business leaders say its not a crisis it realy is one!!!

most of them are trying to buy time... :D

LaoPo

That's why I posted it. Thought it was humorous. :D

LaoPo

If there's anything there, watch to see if international funds get repatriated. That will be the tell. What with the Yen carry trade in place, that could make for huge, rapid, currency swings, and huge opportunities. I think that benefits the $USD, but I could be wrong about that.

LaoPo

If there's anything there, watch to see if international funds get repatriated. That will be the tell. What with the Yen carry trade in place, that could make for huge, rapid, currency swings, and huge opportunities. I think that benefits the $USD, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyone happen to notice that Bonds and the Yen both bottomed at the same time in mid June?

:D"Business leaders from the Asia Pacific say the US sub-prime credit boilover is serious but not a crisis"

LaoPo

Maybe so, maybe not. The subprime crisis is strongly related to the low Yen and in my view the same Yen is highly undervalued, maybe even up to 30-50%.

The problem these 'subprime'-days is that the public/investors is/are overwhelmed with avalanches of financial news, investment letters, statements from Central Banks & Governments, volatile markets, currency markets, and-so-on, both positive and not so positive.

It's extremely hard to determine where the economy, world wide, is going. Corrections will come and occur in various Industries (now: Mortgage industry, tomorrow maybe the Currency Industry), Markets and Countries.... but if a Global Recession is on the way ? Hmmmm...I hope not.

The overall world economy has strong fundamentals and is able to handle some 'punches' from various sources and sides; it depends how many punches are still on the way...

That's why I still stay -mainly- cash for the time being and wait, relaxed, in the Lounge...sipping a beer :o and sell some (EU country) real estate.

But, I admit, it's hard to tell if the bottom is there already; I don't think so though.

One thing is for sure: whatever happens, the Global 'economy and finance' will revive and survive but, like always, it'll take some time though and will cost a few bucks here and there. :bah:

I like the following quote:

"The most common cause of low prices is pessimism – some times pervasive, some times specific to a company or industry. We want to do business in such an environment, not because we like pessimism but because we like the prices it produces. It's optimism that is the enemy of the rational buyer. None of this means, however, that a business or stock is an intelligent purchase simply because it is unpopular; a contrarian approach is just as foolish as a follow-the-crowd strategy. What's required is thinking rather than polling.

Unfortunately, Bertrand Russell's observation about life in general applies with unusual force in the financial world:

"Most men would rather die than think. Many do."

The first one who guesses who said that, I'll buy him a beer next time... :D

LaoPo

LaoPo

An investment letter editor/owner has to write positive; I get several investment letters every single day and they ALL promise diamonds and gold if you invest with them...

The rise in applications is probably true; what it doesn't say is that a large number of those applications are from people who apply and re-apply several applications at the same time for a new or a re-mortgaging for their present one.

Buying banks now is still risky IMHO.

Interesting to learn that Mr. Dessauer holds Countrywide shares. There's commotion in the US because Mr. Mozilla, CEO and Co-founder of Countrywide is selling and selling his shares and options in his own company making him more wealthy and promoting to buy Countrywide stocks amongst his own staff.... :D

Also interesting is that Mr. Mozilla never ever bought one single share himself in Countrywide; he just granted himself large portions of stock options, apart from his huge income.

The question remains WHY he's constantly selling if he still believes so strong in Countrywide...

LaoPo

Carmine6: don't let yourself fool by these investment letters' Gurus:

From: "..Reuters Before the Bell news mail": just received

"Mortgage applications rose last week, mostly on demand for refinancings, according to an industry group."

LaoPo

you know my wife? :o

:D :D No, sorry....so, no beer with your Lady than... :D

LaoPo

:D"Business leaders from the Asia Pacific say the US sub-prime credit boilover is serious but not a crisis"

LaoPo

Maybe so, maybe not. The subprime crisis is strongly related to the low Yen and in my view the same Yen is highly undervalued, maybe even up to 30-50%.

The problem these 'subprime'-days is that the public/investors is/are overwhelmed with avalanches of financial news, investment letters, statements from Central Banks & Governments, volatile markets, currency markets, and-so-on, both positive and not so positive.

It's extremely hard to determine where the economy, world wide, is going. Corrections will come and occur in various Industries (now: Mortgage industry, tomorrow maybe the Currency Industry), Markets and Countries.... but if a Global Recession is on the way ? Hmmmm...I hope not.

The overall world economy has strong fundamentals and is able to handle some 'punches' from various sources and sides; it depends how many punches are still on the way...

That's why I still stay -mainly- cash for the time being and wait, relaxed, in the Lounge...sipping a beer :o and sell some (EU country) real estate.

But, I admit, it's hard to tell if the bottom is there already; I don't think so though.

One thing is for sure: whatever happens, the Global 'economy and finance' will revive and survive but, like always, it'll take some time though and will cost a few bucks here and there. :bah:

I like the following quote:

"The most common cause of low prices is pessimism – some times pervasive, some times specific to a company or industry. We want to do business in such an environment, not because we like pessimism but because we like the prices it produces. It's optimism that is the enemy of the rational buyer. None of this means, however, that a business or stock is an intelligent purchase simply because it is unpopular; a contrarian approach is just as foolish as a follow-the-crowd strategy. What's required is thinking rather than polling.

Unfortunately, Bertrand Russell's observation about life in general applies with unusual force in the financial world:

LaoPo

I'm not at all sure what any of that means for the $USD, but if it does turn, you don't want to throw yourself in front of that train. As for TV, newsletters, etc, etc. You just have to avoid all that stuff. Charts will tell you the market is making a 4.5 year cycle bottom. It either already did, or will soon. It will probably have a successful retest in the spring. Watch this friday and next monday.

I'm not at all sure what any of that means for the $USD, but if it does turn, you don't want to throw yourself in front of that train.

As for TV, newsletters, etc, etc. You just have to avoid all that stuff. Charts will tell you the market is making a 4.5 year cycle bottom. It either already did, or will soon. It will probably have a successful retest in the spring. Watch this friday and next monday.

A_Traveller: No, not Bertrand Russell. :D

Lannarebirth: Yes, I know and have read that you block out all news and just focus on Charts, but without news and info, no Charts, right ?

And, yes, the markets are waiting for coming Friday (so: you do read some news... :D )

"Reuters Before the Bell news mail.

The economic data that had Wall Street fearing the worst yesterday turned out to be benign, but no one's taking anything for granted this morning. Stock futures are pointing down ahead of more figures.

Investors will pay attention to the Fed's Beige Book on economic conditions because it may provide indications of what the central bank will do about interest rates later this month.

Cut them, urges the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which has reduced its forecast for U.S. growth and isn't ruling out the possibility of a recession.

And the ADP National Employment figures, which are due momentarily, is seen as a preview of Friday's jobs report, which the Fed looks at when it's considering rate changes.

Speaking of jobs, or a lack of them, Challenger Gray & Christmas says announced U.S. layoffs jumped 85 percent last month, with much of the increase in the financial sector.

Mortgage applications rose last week, mostly on demand for refinancings, according to an industry group."

Just if you missed it... :o

LaoPo

I'm not at all sure what any of that means for the $USD, but if it does turn, you don't want to throw yourself in front of that train.

As for TV, newsletters, etc, etc. You just have to avoid all that stuff. Charts will tell you the market is making a 4.5 year cycle bottom. It either already did, or will soon. It will probably have a successful retest in the spring. Watch this friday and next monday.

A_Traveller: No, not Bertrand Russell. :D

Lannarebirth: Yes, I know and have read that you block out all news and just focus on Charts, but without news and info, no Charts, right ?

And, yes, the markets are waiting for coming Friday (so: you do read some news... :D )

"Reuters Before the Bell news mail.

The economic data that had Wall Street fearing the worst yesterday turned out to be benign, but no one's taking anything for granted this morning. Stock futures are pointing down ahead of more figures.

Investors will pay attention to the Fed's Beige Book on economic conditions because it may provide indications of what the central bank will do about interest rates later this month.

Cut them, urges the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which has reduced its forecast for U.S. growth and isn't ruling out the possibility of a recession.

And the ADP National Employment figures, which are due momentarily, is seen as a preview of Friday's jobs report, which the Fed looks at when it's considering rate changes.

Speaking of jobs, or a lack of them, Challenger Gray & Christmas says announced U.S. layoffs jumped 85 percent last month, with much of the increase in the financial sector.

Mortgage applications rose last week, mostly on demand for refinancings, according to an industry group."

Just if you missed it... :o

LaoPo

Hi LP.

Charts are comprised of time and price, nothing else. I didn't know there was any news due on Friday, but I have a turn scheduled in the fri-mon window.

Now I'm confused. if the sidebar question is who said "Most men would rather die than think. Many do" then the answer is Bertrand Russell, stated in the context of the First World War and his refusal to fight, his involvement in pacifist activities leading to a conviction.

Maybe I missed the hidden question.

Regards

/edit tense//

Edited by A_Traveller

Hi LP.

Charts are comprised of time and price, nothing else. I didn't know there was any news due on Friday, but I have a turn scheduled in the fri-mon window.

I'm interested/fascinated by your Charts-view. What interests me most is the difference in Global economy since, let's say, 10-15 years with the rise of the economy in the Far East, and China, India, Vietnam and others in particular, which weren't there, not so long ago, economically spoken.

How do your charts interpret that ?

I mean, your charts probably show a long history in the US and EU, Australia, NZ and such, but the total picture can't be compared, can it ?

LaoPo