Thanks For The Party Thai Visa/my Phuket

LivinginKata

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an infrequent poster, but have been a member for some time and was curious to put some faces to screen names. I did meet some of the movers-and-shakers as well as frequent posters (even spotting livinginkata). For me it was an enjoyable evening. :o

Hi there mfiskong, you should have said hello to me. I had a bit of a problem seeing the names as I need reading glasses. I tried to 'work' the room, but I got a few odd looks when I peered at name badges trying to identify regular posters.

Here are some more photos from the party:

http://myphuketmag.com/gallery/

Hope to see you all again soon!

Very nice pics, mrsouza ! Thanks for sharing them for the non-goers.

Is it by any chance possible to explain some of the photos, as WHO the people are ?

For instance, are you the gentleman in black/white trousers on photos 41/44, holding a speech ?

Cheers.

LaoPo

Here are some more photos from the party:

Hope to see you all again soon!

Is it by any chance possible to explain some of the photos, as WHO the people are ?

For instance, are you the gentleman in black/white trousers on photos 41/44, holding a speech ?

Cheers.

LaoPo

That is Alistair Forbes, editor-in-chief of My Phuket Magazine

Maybe members can identify themselfs by photo number. I am way in the background of photo 34 with my wife Wallee.

Edited by LivinginKata

Cheers.

LaoPo

I have updated some pictures with the names I know of, I am lousy with names so forgive me for the persons I don't know or remember. :o

well i dont know what people are complaining about. it was a lovely night, with great company. ratri is a beautiful restaurant and the music was very appropriate for such a venue. buckwheats ribs were delicious as usual and the rest of the food was too.

i got my couple of glasses of wine, and did not bat an eyelid at having to pay for more once the freeflow stopped. in fact, even if i had to pay for the party i would have gone anyway.

come on people. lighten up a bit. sheesh.

I thought the best bit was the throwing the t-shirts. It was good to see all the Thai gf's lose their cool and join the fray squealing and grabbing.

That Ratri is a seriously beautiful place. Only open for dinner though so that view goes to waste during the day.

But what I want to know about the party is...what happened to all the bones? Do they just get thrown out with the rubbish are are they separated and given to Soi Dog Foundation or something?

As for future events, how about a beach bbq with games and things like volleyball, bring the kids... and dogs...and beer. Or how about that Oktoberfest place on the edge of Patong? I haven't been but it might be good if we could get a bunch of people and strike a deal on prices.

I thought the best bit was the throwing the t-shirts. It was good to see all the Thai gf's lose their cool and join the fray squealing and grabbing.

That Ratri is a seriously beautiful place. Only open for dinner though so that view goes to waste during the day.

But what I want to know about the party is...what happened to all the bones? Do they just get thrown out with the rubbish are are they separated and given to Soi Dog Foundation or something?

As for future events, how about a beach bbq with games and things like volleyball, bring the kids... and dogs...and beer. Or how about that Oktoberfest place on the edge of Patong? I haven't been but it might be good if we could get a bunch of people and strike a deal on prices.

As this appears to have mainly been a PR Party to launch a new magazine

Where can the New Product be purchased?

the volleyball etc sounds like a great idea, but it is quite difficult to arrange. the TV people have 'real' jobs too (including myself) which does not really allow much spare time to arrange it.

gimme some time and i will try to arrange something.

remember, too, that you guys are always free to arrange something yourselves you know. i did it in bkk - just said 'i will be at such and such a pub at such and such a time' and people just turned up. its easy.

As this appears to have mainly been a PR Party to launch a new magazine

Where can the New Product be purchased?

The magazine will arrive from Bangkok tomorrow and distribution starts this week.

I don't have the complete list of sales outlets yet, as we are given those after it has been sold by the distribution company.

It will however be available in all major book stores in Phuket and selected 7-Eleven, Family Mart etc. We are also working

on a completely new system for distribution and sales that will be ready this month, more about that later.

The first issue will also be distributed for free at over 400 locations around Phuket.

Edited by mrsouza

How much is it?

100 bath (sic)

Oh dear...bad marketing.

You should make it 99 baht. A two figure number is OK. Three figure number makes it look terribly expensive.

As a very ex-marketing man, I agree

Better still, make it 50 bht, more affordable!

Oh dear...bad marketing.

You should make it 99 baht. A two figure number is OK. Three figure number makes it look terribly expensive.

As a very ex-marketing man, I agree

Better still, make it 50 bht, more affordable!

Yeah, maybe you guys are right. I just thought 100 baht is a practical even number and you don't have to wait to get the change, which always takes forever. :o

As for future events, I would suggest that you have sneak previews of every issue a couple of days before it hit the stores. It should be exclusive for advertisers (present and potential), co-workers, freelancers etc.

Throw quarterly parties for the readers, VIPs and self acclaimed VIPs.

Change is no problem because it is a single coin and Thais won't need a calculator.

:o

As for future events, I would suggest that you have sneak previews of every issue a couple of days before it hit the stores. It should be exclusive for advertisers (present and potential), co-workers, freelancers etc.

Sure. Actually, this is exactly what we did with the last party since the magazine is not out yet. We also offered it for download as an exclusive for Thaivisa-members.

Quarterly parties is not a bad idea. All we need now is more advertisers so we can afford them. :o

Hi,

I would be happy to supply some more inputs/ideas, as I have plenty of experince of this kind of magazine concept. And no, I am not looking for work...

If needed; Let me know and I will give you some inputs/ideas.

Sure. Actually, this is exactly what we did with the last party since the magazine is not out yet. We also offered it for download as an exclusive for Thaivisa-members.

Quarterly parties is not a bad idea. All we need now is more advertisers so we can afford them. :o

How do they work out how many ribs 100 people are going to eat ,, I had 5 ( and was still bloody hungry)does that mean I ate 4 other peoples ribs?

If I have any criticism it was that the wine glasses were ridiculouly small; was that done intentionally to make people feel guilty for make too many trips to the bar. or is it a new trend to serve red wine in an egg cup. I'm damned sure more people might have stayed if either the glasses were of a normal size or sold at a reasonable price.

i like the idea of of a party that incorporates a few games to get people mixing a little.. I was under the weather that night and didnt really have it in me to work the room nor did many others judging by the number of people I spoke too.

perhaps if people free loading is the concern here, which it shouldn't be, as it was a launch party and the more people that turned up regardless of free drinks or not is the measure of sucess , if they went early after the drinks ran out at least they came in the 1st place; why not in the future do drinks at cost price , that way everbody is happy. the host wont be out of pocket and the guests will be able to enjoy a drink at the same price as if they had stayed at home. everyones a winner...

Hello & sorry

for it seems me as also quite new member started the discussion about the foods, drinks & people leave early, even it seems to be in many peoples thoughts.

We (my girlfriend & me) arrived by taxi from Phuket-Town just in time (18:15h).

Just arrived I speak with some people I know before, have a drink at the bar and give us the advice that the drinks are very expensive at this restaurant.

O.k. - we just arrived and walked around a little meet some early arriving friends, enjoy the view on Kata and then ordered 2 glass of white wine, which were really very small, so I also ordered a second (half) glass for myself.

The buffet (with the snacks) started about, I am not shure because we speak with friends, eat before at home and so not really waited for the food, at about 19:00-19:30h.

We both not like each kinds of ribbs, but also not see where can get them - so we tried the delicious oysters (one each !).

At about 20:15h (about 1 hour after the buffet started) my girlfriend asked me for a glass of water and even this was really not easy to get downstairs, because the staff told me the free drinks finished already (even the water in a glass ?). O.k. - I could buy the drinks, but it was an invitation for BBQ & drinks from 18:30-20:30h and at 20:15h it´s not possible to get a glas of water for free ? Hmm......at the end the staff find water.......

In Germany we say "Einem geschenktem Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul" - after we read Australian slang already, this is slang from Germany but I try to translate : It means "You not have to look in the mouth of a horse you received as a present".

But today I see many people here speak about this, much thanks to the organizers and sponsors for this party, but I also think the foods and drinks were not enough for feeding 100 people and at least in Germany an invitation to a BBQ means the guests find enough foods and drinks for not stay hungry and not have to eat before or after.

I read that the Thai-Staff was surprised that the food was finished so fast - shure they were surprised. I think the reason was not the people were almost starved but it was not enough for 100 people and I am also shure the organizers know the Thai-mentality very well - in Thailand it´s a shame if the guests eat the table empty, because it means the host not serve enough and not the people eat to much and only come for eat - in Thailand the host would "loose his face".........and may be they call him "kiniau".......but shure it´s a different mentality.

So my second improvement suggestion is :

If the budget may be is to small to invite 100 people to a real BBQ-Party, then better invite them to a meating with some snacks, then everybody know, is not an invitation for have dinner.

So sorry once more for the clear words and neverless much thanks for the invitation, the foods & drinks even if it was not a BBQ-Party but a nice meeting with snacks.

I think if we all see it from this vantage point, there will not be any reason for critizise anything anymore.

Bagsida

Hello & sorry

for it seems me as also quite new member started the discussion about the foods, drinks & people leave early, even it seems to be in many peoples thoughts.

We (my girlfriend & me) arrived by taxi from Phuket-Town just in time (18:15h).

Just arrived I speak with some people I know before, have a drink at the bar and give us the advice that the drinks are very expensive at this restaurant.

O.k. - we just arrived and walked around a little meet some early arriving friends, enjoy the view on Kata and then ordered 2 glass of white wine, which were really very small, so I also ordered a second (half) glass for myself.

The buffet (with the snacks) started about, I am not shure because we speak with friends, eat before at home and so not really waited for the food, at about 19:00-19:30h.

We both not like each kinds of ribbs, but also not see where can get them - so we tried the delicious oysters (one each !).

At about 20:15h (about 1 hour after the buffet started) my girlfriend asked me for a glass of water and even this was really not easy to get downstairs, because the staff told me the free drinks finished already (even the water in a glass ?). O.k. - I

could buy the drinks, but it was an invitation for BBQ & drinks from 18:30-20:30h and at 20:15h it´s not possible to get a glas

of water for free ? Hmm......at the end the staff find water.......

In Germany we say "Einem geschenktem Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul" - after we read Australian slang already, this is slang from Germany but I try to translate : It means "You not have to look in the mouth of a horse you received as a present".

But today I see many people here speak about this, much thanks to the organizers and sponsors for this party, but I also think the foods and drinks were not enough for feeding 100 people and at least in Germany an invitation to a BBQ means the guests find enough foods and drinks for not stay hungry and not have to eat before or after.

I read that the Thai-Staff was surprised that the food was finished so fast - shure they were surprised. I think the reason was not the people were almost starved but it was not enough for 100 people and I am also shure the organizers know the Thai-mentality very well - in Thailand it´s a shame if the guests eat the table empty, because it means the host not serve enough and not the people eat to much and only come for eat - in Thailand the host would "loose his face".........and may be they call him "kiniau".......but shure it´s a different mentality.

So my second improvement suggestion is :

If the budget may be is to small to invite 100 people to a real BBQ-Party, then better invite them to a meating with some snacks, then everybody know, is not an invitation for have dinner.

So sorry once more for the clear words and neverless much thanks for the invitation, the foods & drinks even if it was not a BBQ-Party but a nice meeting with snacks.

I think if we all see it from this vantage point, there will not be any reason for critizise anything anymore.

Bagsida

Very interesting comments here........It would appear Ratri has a nice view but overprices drinks ........had heard this before.........perhaps reason we've never wanted to go there.

Wow, feels like we are under review for the Michelin Guide. :o

I would like to add that dinner was never on the invitation, we offered free drinks and nibble food. It is, of course, a little mishap if the nibble food (and water?) was finished prematurely.

All comments noted and will be considered for the next party.

i think that many people are missing the point.

the party was free. a full on feed was not promised. the setting was lovely, as was the entertainment and the company.

please stop the complaining guys. the invite stated to get there early. the size of the wine glasses - well, thats a normal thing to do when the wine is FREE to you.

i would say that the reason buckwheats ribs finished so early was because they tasted so ###### good! there could have been double the amount and they would have all gone!