Do You Hold Your Wifes Hand In Public?

bangkoksingapore

Holding Hands  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i noticed in another thread that our beloved and well respected poster ratchabuild claimed that he has never held his wifes hand in public because it would offend thais. do you agree or disagree with his assessment of the thai persona?

I would never hold rachabuild's hand

i noticed in another thread that our beloved and well respected poster ratchabuild claimed that he has never held his wifes hand in public because it would offend thais. do you agree or disagree with his assessment of the thai persona?
Disagree, saw a few thais and their boyfriends holding hands in jomtien :o

Those of you who live here and are with a partner with some amount of decorum know that Thai people don't do this much in public, and especially with a foreign man. Having said that, it does slip through occasionally, yes, and is not the end of the world when it happens. But, it is not every day.

But, this is not Paris, where passionate couples slip each other the tongue in dark alleys. Different deal.

I voted yes as i "sometimes" do hold her hand and too be frank I couldn't give a monkey's what anybody whether its Thai or farang thinks about it.

I'm quite comfortable with my marriage and being in public with my wife :o

Edited by davethailand

She often reaches for my hand, and I enjoy holding her hand when we walk. Sometimes we get more cuddly than that She really doesn't care what others think.

did'nt do it in england and dont do it in thailand ,besides how would you smoke ,hold your fags and lighter ,you'd need 3 hands..

Generally speaking - rarely.

It depends on the social setting and environment. Outside of Pattaya and the assorted tourist ghettos Thailand is a rather conservative society. Which suits us fine, in this aspect, as we both are not so keen on public displays of affection.

Things change though here, and in many settings it is perfectly alright to hold hands.

Ten years together and we still hold hands, hug and even smooch, occasionally, in public. Always have and always will. It is more about how you look doing it.

I did do a little shock therapy with the wife early on by laying a big romantic kiss on her in a very public place in Hawaii. As she stood there a little confused I asked her to look around. Nobody was paying any attention so she kissed me right back.

Many of the women in our upper class health club in Bangkok expressed envy at the affection we obviously have for each other.

If the wife is not comfortable with holding hands, me and my suspicious mind, would question where you found her. It is the socially insecure that worry excessively about what other people think. Even then, enough love will overcome such insecurities, normally.

My wife will often take my arm in public for a few minutes, not really into hand holding though... I suppose we're getting a bit past it age wise.

She often giggle at elderly tourists holding hands with their new "girlfriends" in the main street in Chiang Rai though. Doesn't bother me, she's the snob in the family.

i don't hold my wife's hand except perhaps when crossing a busy street. but if i wanted to hold her hand i'd care a flying <deleted> whether somebody agrees or disagrees.

i don't hold my wife's hand except perhaps when crossing a busy street. but if i wanted to hold her hand i'd care a flying <deleted> whether somebody agrees or disagrees.

Why don't you say what you mean Dr Naam, you're always skirting around the point.

The bit about holding hands being disrespectful to Thais is rubbish - gave my missus a good laugh though. Her words were "Who say that - eedeat."

She often reaches for my hand, and I enjoy holding her hand when we walk. Sometimes we get more cuddly than that She really doesn't care what others think.

did'nt do it in england and dont do it in thailand ,besides how would you smoke ,hold your fags and lighter ,you'd need 3 hands..

cigarette in your left hand, lighter in her right

lots of my friends who are thai hold eachothers hands in public. i think a BIG thing regarding this is the age factor. Thais i know under 30 are quite different then more hardcore thais. Most of my friends are 18-25, all of them are very westernized and laugh at the how closedminded some older thais are. If your in an inappropriate place for hand holding then it is understandable, but if you refuse to hold your wifes hand (.. is she actually your wife? or did you meet her in a money for sex scenario ? i know i know touchy topic here, but plz.. realism first) on the basis that you would offend thai people, then following that type of mindset, you think that you would not be marrying a thai person, as that would offend a certain type of thai people. another ridiculous thread.. jesus all these people sitting around here with out jobs ( or with jobs where they just hang out online on thai visa all day?) need to get their shit together!

I don't think this has ever been about offending other Thais, but more of what other Thais would think about your Thai wife. In the early days of my marriage (Viet Nam war era), just standing next to each other in Bangkok would have other Thais misunderstanding our relationship. Now, it is no longer an issue and any Thai having problems with a foreigner/Thai couple holding hands in public has never been to a mall.