What Thai Beer Do You Prefer?

Bluecat

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer lao for me! I love the stuff so much, I even bought the t-shirt. But then again, I don't even pretend to have a discerning palate (I am American, and easily hungover - enough said). The taste seems great to me, and I can indulge myself in feeling so macho when I drink it because I never wake up with a hangover!

Other than that, it's usually vodka on the rocks for me, or Guinness. And the occassional Singha.

Never had a Changover from a Singha, so it's Singha for me if there's no Heiniken in the doo yen.

I would not comment on a typo (do myself too many) but I feel you did this on purpose.

Changover

:D:o

Met up with Blonco in KK on Friday lunchtime. Only beers on sale in the bar were Singha and Heineken in mouthwash size bottles. Given that Singha gives me headaches, I opted for the Heineken. Some 30 bottles later (between us), it was beginning to taste like water. I was grateful for a change of venue and to get back to a beer I could taste - *Chang*.

If for no other reason then out of a long, 20 year habit, Kloster. But I prefer either Mae Khong or Sang Som mixed with soda.

I'd forgotten about Kloster - it's not that common but it's much nicer than Singha or Chang, let alone Leo or Thai Beer.

Yes, my favourite has to be Kloster also - chilled without ice obviously.

Ice and soda is for Red Label and Coke.

I have to disagree here chaps. I loathe Chang beer. If I drink beer it's imported.

Chang is the worst sh*t in the world. I'd rather drink a pint of my own piss on the hour every hour than have to consume Chang.

I'm a G and T man myself. Sounds pompous I know but I'm from a mining family who drank crap beer for breakfast.

Also it gives you a demon hangover. :o

Sexy Beast

Other than that, it's usually vodka on the rocks for me, or Guinness.  And the occassional Singha.

Guinness is lovely in the U.K. but I tried it once in Bangkok and it tasted like a vinegar and cost about 300 bht a pint.

Not at O'Reiley's. The Guinness there is great and costs about 165 baht.

I LOVE GUINNESS ,but guiness ANYWHERE outside ireland is <deleted> !!!(compared to the real thing )i spent 3 years in belfast , the guinness was like nectar . as for people complaining about certain beers being too strong ,well you know the answer .

Beer Lao tastes like stale catspiss to the discerning palate! :o

Makes me wonder (again): how come you know what catpiss tasts like? Seems that drinking beer is a SM kind of thing for some people.....

If for no other reason then out of a long, 20 year habit, Kloster.  But I prefer either Mae Khong or Sang Som mixed with soda.

I'd forgotten about Kloster - it's not that common but it's much nicer than Singha or Chang, let alone Leo or Thai Beer.

Yes, my favourite has to be Kloster also - chilled without ice obviously.

Ice and soda is for Red Label and Coke.

I did know Klosters was thai beer. I thought it was german. But I like it better than any other beerin Thailand

Chang is the worst sh*t in the world. I'd rather drink a pint of my own piss on the hour every hour than have to consume Chang.

Sexy Beast, I once typed the very same words here on another post a month or two ago. I'm sreious too; I'd drink my own piss before Chang. It is not beer.

Thai beer is an oxymoron if you ask me. The only decently made Thai beer has a

foreign label on its bottle, Heineken, Kloster, Carlsburg ect...

I've heard that Thai made beer like Chang and Singha have formaldehyde in them, but not sure if this in an urban legend or not. One thing Thai made beers have in common is a rancid taste and a pounding hangover the next morning.

I'd rather drink a pint of my own piss on the hour every hour than have to consume Chang.

Makes me wonder how you came to this conclusion.....

I've drunk my own piss before (a friendly wager that I won) and it is not as bad as Chang beer. If anybody wants to take me on for another wager if you don't believe me, I'll be there at Christmas time. I guess I am an experienced,

'piss head.'

Imported beer: Guinness if it's kept OK.....bizarrely, I'd say some of the pubs around Sukhumvit keep it better than certain Sarf ov Ingerlund establishments I've frequented.

Failing that Heineken.

Thai beer, if I'm in the mood or maybe if I'm scoffing smelly street food: Leo, followed by Chang (but in a different glass)

Don't like Singha. Mate of mine (who is a chemist.....no, really) told me it is chemical beer......they make up some 'brown water', then add alcohol. Ie. no fermentation involved.

True? No idea.....but I still don't like it very much :o

Don't like Singha. Mate of mine (who is a chemist.....no, really) told me it is chemical beer......they make up some 'brown water', then add alcohol. Ie. no fermentation involved.

True? No idea.....but I still don't like it very much :o

All Beers have chemicals in them ,

(some cask conditioned being the exception)

If there were no chemicals you would never get a clear beer .

Geez, some harsh critics of Thai beers. I really do not see what all the fuss is about . I hear all the stories about Chang and Singha having chemicals in them ,but i am sure most commerically brewed beers everywhere have the same .

From what i understand, Heineken , Klosters, Amstad etc, are brewed under ' supervision' in Thailand so probably use similair ingredients to local beers, whether using wheat or hops.

Anyways, after 1 or 2 beers it doesn't matter in regards to taste buds .

Just for the record, i drink Chang or Singha , with ice . But being Australian my insight into beers is a bit rough around the edges :o

Singha is just fine, but I think it is technically a malt liquor. They also make an export version that I have tried (Gold) in the US ($$$) and it was decent quality.

On a hot day a cold Chang or Leo will not be turned away! :o

I've drunk my own piss before (a friendly wager that I won) and it is not as bad as Chang beer.

Ouch, what kinda take home did you pull on that bet? :o

Chang (with ice to smoothen the nasty hit) somehow sounds like the better deal... :D

mbkudu...what can I say...you still have my respect but dang, man! :D

/// dfw

Twenty lousy bucks (US$). The stupidity of youth; I should have at least got fifty

out of the deal.

When I was in the army I hooked up with some British paratroopers who drank their own piss just about every time we went to the bars.

To the best of my knowledge I never did that, but there were alot of black out nights back then.

That was one event we did not mind loosing to the brits. :o