What Thai Beer Do You Prefer?

Bluecat

I used to drink Kloster, but it became so hard to find a bar that sold it, and then it was always far more expensive than Singha, that I eventually gave up.

I'm now a Singha man. :o

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think we'd like to know is 'what' chemicals are in beers like Singha and Chang that give them that sh#t taste and make them so hard on the head in the morning.

What is the name of the chemical that used to be put in beer as a preservative... started with a "p" I think.... just can't remember the name of it :o

Many Thais add ice to their beer. Are there any of you here who have adopted this odd practice? I could never do it.

Never ever.

Even when I was in Africa, in remote places and the beer was 20 deg.+, I did not put any ice in it.

But of course, I did not have any ice available,... :o:D

Many Thais add ice to their beer. Are there any of you here who have adopted this odd practice? I could never do it.

Add water! Are you <deleted> crazy? That stuff will really screw you up! Fish <deleted> in water urghh :o

When in Bkk or other towns/cities there is no need to add ice because they are properly chilled and have the "condoms" to keep them cool... however when in "the bush" I have to admit I will put ice in my beer... it's just that I can't stand warm beer.. and I'm english too...!! :o

I used to laugh at the idea of ice in beer, sure my mates back in aussie would take the piss as well . But, I got used to it . I don't think it changes the taste, beer is mostly water anyways. I guess it depends what size beer u drink, a 630ml bottle loses cold quick smart. I think ice in a beer sure beats the ###### out of warm beer:P

I used to laugh at the idea of ice in beer, sure my mates back in aussie would take the piss as well . But, I got used to it . I don't think it changes the taste, beer is mostly water anyways. I guess it depends what size beer u drink, a 630ml bottle loses cold quick smart. I think ice in a beer sure beats the ###### out of warm beer:P

I think it surely depends on the beer. Putting ice in a light beer like most Thai beers, I could understand, but I could not put ice in a good ale or stout.

I used to like Amarit, but it's been gone too long for me to remember what it really tasted like. I've never really liked Singha, and have lately gone for Chang. I also like Thai Beer when I want to sink a lot without feeling it (I'm at an age now when I like most things in moderation and don't see the point of waking up with a bad head - life can be enough of a challenge as it is!). Outside of Thailand, I really look forward to my trips to Indonesia for the Bintang. Good stuff.

Only when I am in LOS. That's mainly because the sister-inlaws watch my glass like a hawk and either have it refilled or add more ice before i set it down. I can't complain to them, I would not want to hurt their feelings. So I just drink the watered down beer.

Good to see the "Beer Chang Love" around here. After you get over the fact that your lovely Beer Sing is like 10cents more (ie. not the fancy shit you think it is) then beer is just beer. Drink more than 2 bottles and does it really matter what the price ...was?

I think beer Sing is really "dry" and "skunky", the same reason I cant stand Heiniken. If they raised the price of Beer Chang by 15Baht everyone would all the sudden be cool if they drank it right?

I hate whiskey though, some sorta asian thing. Only old farts back in the states drink that crap.

Edited by Mr.StickyRice

There are only certain bars here where you can buy ice cold beer, mainly because of the Khmer fondness for putting ice in beer and the misinformation that fridges cost a fortune to run. I was once told by a Thai bar owner that her fridges (normal Coca Cola size) costs Bht 600.00 per month each therefore she never turned them on.

:o