And Finally..... The Indian Restaurant On Beach Road, By Soi 11

Mobi

It looked all right from the outside, and the wife had a hankering for Indian dosh.

It looked OK from the inside. Friendly staff etc.

We ordered Mutton masala, Chicken vindaloo, and a vegetable dish, plus some nan bread.

Nothing special, but OK..ish. Filled a hole, I suppose you could say.

As soon as we left the restaurant my wife came out in rashes all over her body, which she only gets if she eats sea food that is not fresh. But we didn't have any sea food. Hm... maybe the sauces had all been mixed up together???

The rashes responded to anti histamine, but about three hours later my wife was puking up all over the house. She didn't stop throwing up for 24 hours.

I was OK - but I've probably got a cast iron stomach - or I was just plain lucky.

Bad dose of food poisoning for the missus - not to be recommended. I bet they'd been keeping those curries simmering for several days.

Can anyone recommend a good, safe and clean Indian restaurant in Pattaya?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an allergy because of the hives and response to antihistamine, not food poisoning. Allergic people can develop new allergies.

I once developed anaphylactic shock (hives and severe wheezing) from a Mexican place, and I used to eat Mexican all the time (and still do when I can). At the ER I had a doctor from Cajun Country and he said he used to get similar spice reaction cases all the time.

The standard of Indian food here is not high, except for the luxury places. If price isn't an object, I would imagine the Indian restaurant at the Royal Cliff Hotel would be clean enough. Also, I have the impression that most restaurants on Beach Road are tourist traps that don't really have to offer great food or great value.

Edited by Jingthing

I've always enjoyed Kohindoor Indian buffet on Pratamnack but closer to Walking across from The Bayoke hotel.

Is the buffet on at special times ?

What is the cost per person ?

:o Wiley Coyote

The dinner buffet is on from 18:00-23:00. The cost is 160-180. The nan bread is fresh and delicious. There's many meat and veggy choices. Great aircon and very clean. Maybe they like my smile but I've been given a free ice cream cup each time I've gone. Free parking in The Bayoke hotel's parking lot.

http://www.dininginthailand.com/kohinoor-pattaya.asp

http://www.diningbazaar.net/Kohinoor_Indian_Pattaya.html

http://www.pattayamail.com/507/dining.shtml

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=3349

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=3244

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2939...ya-Pattaya.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99555

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28226

That buffet is every night and goes till late. I find the food mediocre at best. Someone who knows good Indian food would not be impressed. Something under 200 baht. The nan bread is not cooked properly. I doubt they have a real tandoor oven.

The "free" ice cream is on offer to ALL buffet customers! That is the desert. I would prefer an Indian desert. It is cheap ice cream.

Sounds like I don't like that place? True.

I find the buffet across the street at the Beverly Hotel more flavorful. Nothing to write home to Bombay about either, but they always have spicy yellow dal and I love that stuff. That one is nightly 8 to 10, for 200 baht. No ice cream.

Edited by Jingthing

Sounds like an allergy because of the hives and response to antihistamine, not food poisoning. Allergic people can develop new allergies.

No, she has eaten Indian food extensively in BKK and abroad - never had any problems. The vomiting, fever etc was classic food poisoning, and developed after we had dealt with her KNOWN allergy.

The hives were her sea food alergy which cleared up immediately with her standard medication. Clearly the sauces were tainted with sea food.

I've always enjoyed Kohindoor Indian buffet on Pratamnack but closer to Walking across from The Bayoke hotel.

Is the buffet on at special times ?

What is the cost per person ?

:o Wiley Coyote

The dinner buffet is on from 18:00-23:00. The cost is 160-180. The nan bread is fresh and delicious. There's many meat and veggy choices. Great aircon and very clean. Maybe they like my smile but I've been given a free ice cream cup each time I've gone. Free parking in The Bayoke hotel's parking lot.

http://www.dininginthailand.com/kohinoor-pattaya.asp

http://www.diningbazaar.net/Kohinoor_Indian_Pattaya.html

http://www.pattayamail.com/507/dining.shtml

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=3349

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=3244

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2939...ya-Pattaya.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99555

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28226

I am not a fan of the buffet there I think its a pretty poor selection, but ordering off the menu is very good , they are very slow at bringing out the food but I look at that as a good sign that everything is made fresh.

Hi Mobi, it's me!!!........I recommend that you try "Indian By Nature" on the left hand side of the road going down into Jomtien. It's close to "Bruno's" and "Gianne's". I think that it provides the best tasting and most authentic Indian food around and the best service and the atmosphere is spot on.....and it's just a little bit more expensive than those other scruffy curry places around the town.

Edited by Taijitu

Sorry OP, OK it was poisoning. Sounds awful no matter what it was, and thanks for warning the masses.

No, Indian by Nature a LOT more expensive. I think their concept is flawed. It is the most elegant Indian restaurant in Thailand. How many people want to pay that much more for ambience? It seems to be empty alot. How much longer do you think they will be in business? If they were smart, they would scrap the idea and do a high class buffet concept for 400 or 500 baht where you could taste many high quality dishes. That is a lot less than a full dinner costs there now, and I think they would have a possible hit.

Have heard good things about Raj, haven't tried it yet.

There is a new dive type place in South Pattaya that is quite interesting. It is a Muslim/Indian/Pakistani place with a real old fashioned tandoor oven and the chef is a Thai lady who has many years Indian cooking experience. Just tried it once and it was quite good for that rustic style. The nan was some of the best I have had in Thailand.

Now, how to get there. OK, I will do my best. You are on Pratumnak near the Beverly Hotel heading north towards Pattaya Tai. So you are walking north, then turn right at the next soi (away from Walking Street). It is the first Indian food dive on the right. There is another one further on that is not as good. Not for the fussy!

There is another place that was pretty good the few times I tried it. It is off 2nd Road between Boyztown and Royal Garden (on the corner, one floor up). There is a big sign, hard to miss. Appears to be a serious kitchen so I would be surprised if there are serious hygiene issues there.

Bottom line, I am not happy with the Indian choices in Pattaya. But we have to deal what we've got, better than nothing. Hey. and how about some real Balti like you could find in a high class London Balti place (and I don't mean Neeroys)?

Edited by Jingthing

The only good curry house in town is the Lindian ( not sure on the spelling)

In Jomtien, its about uk prices, but the food is consistently good.

The others in town are hit and miss and some are just 100% crap.

:o

Ps Niroys comes in secound.

Edited by cubes2

Some good recommendations here, and thanks.

Price is not that important, but quality of food, ambience, and fresh healthy food are of the utmost importance.

My wife developed a taste for Indian food during a 3 week trip where we ate almost exclusively on Thai, Indian, and Chinese. Her tastes in non Thai food are now a bit broader, but we do like a good Indian now and then.

india by nature gets my vote, yes a bit more expensive but well worth it, we always visit this restaurant when we are over in pattaya. staff are friendly and attentive. menu is very good plenty of choice. flavours mmmmmmmmmm and the nan bread is spot on can taste it as i write :o

The only good curry house in town is the Lindian ( not sure on the spelling)

In Jomtien, its about uk prices, but the food is consistently good.

The others in town are hit and miss and some are just 100% crap.

:o

Ps Niroys comes in secound.

Not sure where you mean?

Do you mean Indian by Nature in Jomtien or another place? If so, where is it in Jomtien?

There's an Indian restaurant east-end of Soi Postoffice (same side as the post office, #2 Road end, the last fully enclosed, airconditioned etablishment on that side, next to the Wild Chicken) that seems to have a steady flow of Indian diners, individuals, groups of blokes and families. I personally have not tried it but in keeping with the reasoning that if ethnic Indians are eating there in droves...?

I would tell you the name but if I never look up while walking in Pattaya ("Farang Association of Resident Tourists" Rule #8)

If any of you curry house aficionados have time to check it out and post please.

• 1 month later...
The Raj on 3rd road now a French? restaraunt, but another the Taj, opened up a while back, also on 3rd road, looks nice but never tried it.

It used to be a fantastic French restaurant but it is also closed now. A true loss!

For Britsh style curries try also Tropical Bert's in Soi 6/1!

It looked all right from the outside, and the wife had a hankering for Indian dosh.

We ordered Mutton masala, Chicken vindaloo, and a vegetable dish, plus some nan bread.

As soon as we left the restaurant my wife came out in rashes all over her body, which she only gets if she eats sea food that is not fresh. But we didn't have any sea food. Hm... maybe the sauces had all been mixed up together???

The rashes responded to anti histamine, but about three hours later my wife was puking up all over the house. She didn't stop throwing up for 24 hours.

I was OK - but I've probably got a cast iron stomach - or I was just plain lucky.

Bad dose of food poisoning for the missus - not to be recommended. I bet they'd been keeping those curries simmering for several days.

Now,now....be careful you don't jump to conclusions here.....you both ate the same food.....and you were OK so it might be something else - cast iron stomachs are a bit of a myth.

Now if it was an allergic reaction then that could make sense...BUT food poisoning can take between 12 ans 72 hours to make itself felt......so it might be possible that your wife was reacting to something she'd eaten anytime in the last few days....NB your comment about seafood....is she allergic to oyster sauce or fish sauce...ingredients Thai cookery uses in everything. they even put prawns into veggie dishes.

Having said that I have never had a really good Indian meal in Thailand - and I grew up on Indian/Pakistani food.

some of the restaurants are OK some of the time, but essentially you take your life in your own hands eating Indian food in Pattaya.

If you want an impressive location for Indian food in Pattaya there's one at the Royal Cliffe.

If you want a really impressive location with music etc etc go to the one one the 27th or 37th floor of the Rembrandt Hotel in Bkk, off Sukumvit.....take your credit card!

Now,now....be careful you don't jump to conclusions here.....you both ate the same food.....and you were OK so it might be something else - cast iron stomachs are a bit of a myth.

Now if it was an allergic reaction then that could make sense...BUT food poisoning can take between 12 ans 72 hours to make itself felt......so it might be possible that your wife was reacting to something she'd eaten anytime in the last few days....NB your comment about seafood....is she allergic to oyster sauce or fish sauce...ingredients Thai cookery uses in everything. they even put prawns into veggie dishes.

Having said that I have never had a really good Indian meal in Thailand - and I grew up on Indian/Pakistani food.

some of the restaurants are OK some of the time, but essentially you take your life in your own hands eating Indian food in Pattaya.

If you want an impressive location for Indian food in Pattaya there's one at the Royal Cliffe.

If you want a really impressive location with music etc etc go to the one one the 27th or 37th floor of the Rembrandt Hotel in Bkk, off Sukumvit.....take your credit card!

I think we debated the likelihood of food poisoning and the wife's sea food allergies at some length before in this thread, so i will not belabour the points further. Needless to say I won't be going back there.

I tried the Rembrandt Indian Buffet some years ago - Sunday lunchtime isn't it? Very impressive, a very tasty, with an enormous variety of food, and quite expensive. There seemed to be the 'cream' of Thai-Indian society there.

But I'm not going to Bangkok just to have an 'Indian', so Pattaya recommendations are welcome.

INDIAN BY NATURE, on the way to jomtien just before view talay, very nice, you can also see the chef cooking,very unusual in an indian,.