I Saw A Rat Today... In Bangkok.... Right Near...

Weho

near Ekamai bus station...

There is a 7-11 directly next to the Ekamai bus station, on Sukumvit... it's sort of on a corner, cause there's a curb there adjacent to the bus station. Directly in front of the 7-11, on the EXACT corner (about 1 meter from the 7-11's door), there is a food stand... the ground is a bit uneven there, and as my bus was exiting Ekamai station, I observed a BIG HEALTHY RAT come out from her her food cart, take a peek around for about 10 seconds, then go back under the food cart, where the pavement/sidewalk is quite uneven there (a good hiding place for a rat).

Unrelated to this, I saw a guy, possibly affiliated with that food cart there, show great kindness to two soi dogs... when he went by them, they were just licking all over his feet (in thongs), very affectionately, like they know him, and he then opened some bin, and get them both some food. He didn't strike me as a very wealthy guy, but it was a bit heart-warming to see this.

If you've seen a rat, I'd be curious to know where it was.

I have seen rats big enough for a saddle around the On Nut food stands. What can one expect when the floor is covered in food.

Let's move the topic inside where there should be fewer critters. I saw a couple of small rats, or big mice, in Big C food hall.

How does one tell between a small rat and a large mouse?

Good to hear from you WeHo. Where have you been? Did you earn a Mod funded holiday per chance?

rats have tails as long as their body and are darker than mice

mice have hair on their tails, rats have skin.

I see rats all the time, especially after a rain when the sewers are full.

saw two the other night on soi 11 in 2 different locations. not very big though. biggest rat i have ever seen was walking up a busy street in hat yai. i must have seen 10 that night.

I have heard it said that all cities have more rats than people, but I just don't see them as much in other places, for some reason tey just seem to strut around so blatantly here. Mind you, if you look around Sukhumvit, it is a bloody filthy area, considering the amount of tourists that visit it surprises me why they don't clean it up. How people live there is beyond me, and some of them pay a premium for doing so.

If you've seen a rat, I'd be curious to know where it was.

True story of many years ago:

Sitting on the inside terrace of the Oriental Hotel, facing the river, a friend of mine and myself saw a HUGE rat, running and hiding between two cabinets along a wall.

I mean it was really HUGE... :D

We called the chef and told him...

He said: Solly sir, not possible, no have rats in Oriental Hotel.... :D

Well, they called a special guy who was trying to catch it and it was laughable how scared all the waiters were.

Finally we didn't wait for the outcome but the chef asked us: "please do not tell anybody you saw big Lat in Oriental... :o

LaoPo

I once saw a cockroach on the wall at the Benihana Restaurant in Honolulu...

I saw a busboy lift up a rubber floor mat, and about 1,000 cockroaches scurried around... (I cancelled my "to go" order)...

I saw a whole bunch of cockroaches outside on a waterfront restaurant deck in Key West, Florida...

I do not recall seeing any in any restaurants in Thailand... I haven't really looked... and hope there aren't many...

Of course other than the deep fried cockroaches in those vats of oil, they sell along Surawongese, near the infamous Patpong night market.

Oh, I once saw a few rats in the window of a Paris bakery, like at 1 AM, when all was quiet... they were running around the windown, INSIDE the bakery.

BKK is absolutely alive with rats at night. A shorter thread would be where you have not seen them. Strangest thing I ever saw and I swear its true was a rat come out of a hole, lie on its back in the sun with its forepaws tucked behind its head and its hind legs crossed at the ankles. I stared at it in absolute amazment with my by now slack jaw and bulging eyes. I would not have been surprised to see it put on sunglasses and rub in sun cream. It did it on the grassy area outside tralee town hall after there had been several weeks of rain. I guess like the rest of us it was desperate to top up its tan.

Do the rats ever bite people? I like to walk around in sandals with skin exposed... should I wear shoes instead? Do they carry rabies?

I once saw a snake on a road in Phuket. It was big too.

And I see a one-eyed gila monster every day... scary stuff.

Edited by Weho

incidently you are aware that rat is on the menu in Thailand?

I saw a mouse – where? There on the stair

Where on the stair? Right there

A little mouse with clogs on – well, I declare

Going clip-clippety-clop on the stair - oh yeah

delicious with a splash of maggi sauce...

This has nothing to do with the Rat, But kind of funny i think same way, Walking thur thr market in Rasi with my wife , Saw Frogs in a tub. I wa sask if i ate frogs being for the south US i replyed yes I ate Frog legs . started when i wa sa boy , I then recevied a fuuny look and was ask what you do with rest of Frog. In Issan waste not want not :o

rats have tails as long as their body and are darker than mice

mice have hair on their tails, rats have skin.

I see rats all the time, especially after a rain when the sewers are full.

saw two the other night on soi 11 in 2 different locations. not very big though. biggest rat i have ever seen was walking up a busy street in hat yai. i must have seen 10 that night.

I was gonna tell you about when I saw hundreds of rats in hat yai about fifteen years ago but someones got their first,in chaiyaphum they sell them with their guts open for display,tasted like fish to me !...the night market they eat the scraps you throw to them, :o