Suvarnabhumi: The World's Most Uncomfortable Airport

danone

first i was excited about suvarnabhumi.

beautiful. the minimalistic design with the minimalistic use of colours.

goodness me, no every minute spent there is a torture.

having to wait for a plane to leave, what can you do in those cold prison-like boarding-gates?

grab a coffee? you'll walk miles.

stopovers in singapore are such a nice thing - its cosy, warm, even as an anti-shopper once in a while i drop into a shop.

king power? mafia.

i try to avoid every unnecessary minute at suvarnabhumi

the functionality of the airport is a desaster.

what a shame. so much money. so much expected prestige. and such an anti-human place.

having to wait for a plane to leave, what can you do in those cold prison-like boarding-gates?

I have to agree with this point. The holding pen area for travelers is a big let down. I cannot figure out how that design was decided as something to compete with other airports in the region. A big airy waiting area like Hong Kong would have been sweet.

TheWalkingMan

the same was with the old airport, there was only one little shop that would sell a thing or two.

Yeah, that is true too and I thought about it after I posted. But one would have expected to see some sort of "blending" of the best parts of the best regarded airports in the region... Hong Kong, Singapore heck even... gasp! Narita. Even though I hate going to Narita, the gate layout is user friendly.

TheWalkingMan

the original design of murphy jahn had been changed several times.

the whole human unfriendliness was not part of helmut jahn's design.

this whole unfriendliness comes from that thai approach of trying to impress without considering real practicability factors.

Mmmmmm, the title of this thread: "The World's most uncomfortable airport"

I thought i'd take a look and see if they mentioned some of the ones i've been to that i feel were uncomfortable.

Delhi in India, or Llasa in Tibet, for larger ones, Lukla in Nepal or perhaps Cusco in Peru for smaller ones.

But no, the poster is talking about the modern, air conditioned, computerized Suvarnabhumi airport where they had to walk too far for a coffee? Coffee? try getting one at those other places (above)

I guess it's human nature to complain and my friend tells me i get that way on a hangover sometimes. Maybe that's the problem: take it easy on the booze the night before complaining about walking too far to get your coffee.

" Every minute is torture?" Does that compare to waiting 8 days for 38 people to crowd into and old Russian helicopter with 16 seats that must run off and seemingly leap off a 3,000' cliff to get airborne leaving the Lukla airport which was running out of food in the town because so many were stranded there by the snowstorms?

Maybe but i certainly didn't have that experience when i flew out of (or into) Suvarnabhumi. Lighten up, aye?

Mmmmmm, the title of this thread: "The World's most uncomfortable airport"

I thought i'd take a look and see if they mentioned some of the ones i've been to that i feel were uncomfortable.

Delhi in India, or Llasa in Tibet, for larger ones, Lukla in Nepal or perhaps Cusco in Peru for smaller ones.

lol, yes you hold your life in your hands if you want to go for a pee in Kathmandu or Rangoon's airports.

i've flown with the khmer rouge in russian helicopters, i flew out of burning east timor from a cramped dili airport and so forth.

in the former sowjet union, well, you better dont wanna know what kind of airports i've seen.

i am not complaining and not talking about third world airports.

i am complaining about the short sightedness of such a multi billion project that pretends to be the cream of the cream.

have you ever had a delayed flight at suvarnabhumi? and walking back all the way to get a, yes, coffee? or just a simple snack?

in singapore you just go upstairs and can get a decent, not even overpriced subway sandwich. can you believe it? suvarnabhumi though pretends to be for the richest of the rich.

it is just sad how much money has gone down the drain and thailand does not achieve, what it wanted: to become a regional air hub.

logistics do not work, importers and exporters are still complaining.

sorry, no reason to lighten up.

Edited by danone

As I have said many times, the place was not built with the comfort of the traveller in mind.

Obviousely there were other priorities.

Most people on this board fail to recognize this and just go on praising Thailand, but really, the new airport is a missfit.

Ok, it's functioning, nothing more nothing less, no prizes to win, ever.

I remember in 1999 waiting 3 days to get a flight out of Lukla airport when I was waiting out on the tarmac, I mean mud, the plane coming in before mine slammed into the runway destroying itself in the process. It another day to pull the plane off the runway with yaks and locals and push it into a ravine. I really don't think the amenities at this Nepalese aerodrome were superior to those at Suwannabhumi. I don't recall a Starbucks conveniently located 200 feet from where I park my car like here in Thailand.

Hey, it's a German designed airport. Of course, it's sterile and bleak; they put a lot of effort in to get it that way.

wat a nonsense ! only the building structrure was created by ONE German person. and its not bad at all. what the Thais make of it, is another story.....

by the way, are u rascist ?

i've flown with the khmer rouge in russian helicopters, i flew out of burning east timor from a cramped dili airport and so forth.

in the former sowjet union, well, you better dont wanna know what kind of airports i've seen.

oh go on ....... we do , honest we do.

please tell.

what happen to the state of the art transport hub ??

'tis a long way down , to be arguing as to whether or not it's the worlds most uncomfortable airport ....................................

smoke and mirror vendors have a bright future ,

Why all the whining about this airport .

I think everything was pretty easy to find and reach .

Domestic and international departures checkins in the same hall is a big plus ,

compared with the former . The only thing right is the distance and available transport

to the main city 'Bangkok'. As if you have to spend days in the airport .

Sat in a very comfortable bar (Light Bar) right next to "E" liquids check. Beer is a not so comfortable 180 for a 250ml Heineken.

Just going to go and sit on the prison chairs at the gate, hopefully not for too long :o

Edited by Crossy

I don't think it's bad or good! though my parents had more to say about the layout they are in their seventies and the amount of walking required to reach you departure gates can become an issue for elderly people. Personally I like the walk as it allows the blood to circulate after a long haul flight.

Duty Free - no comment as most people have pointed out it's as good as the old airpport (5 out of 10)

I have yet to see a worth-while duty free shop in any airport, so I'll let this one pass. King-whatever or another crap overpriced duty free shop, I don't care.

I think Suvannaphum could very easily become an example of what not to do in Airport design. Just like Amsterdam Schipol is an example of how to do it.

And I am absolutely a fan of raw concrete and industrial looks. Love it. It's just that it went horribly wrong in S...

Small examples, but symptomatic for the whole thing: There are parasols over the little passport control booths because it's too hot - sun coming through the glass roof. Parasols all over the place, actually. There are no toilets. These are mistakes that would get you a failed grade in Architecture 101, mistakes that should never, ever happen to professional architects / builders.

I work in the Oil Industry in various parts of the World and have been to some awfull, especially West African Airports.

As I live in Phuket and use it as a base I am lucky that I fly direct to Changai Singapore and get in and out of Thailand that way, great.

Subiv Airport I agree is the most uncomfortable NEW STATE OF THE ART AIRPORT in the world.

As a dying breed (Smoker) they have area,s in a certain Bar but you now cannot take food or drink in CRAZY, sit inside an Airconditioned Glass room and look out at your Drink & Sandwich on another table.

German Design Thai management??????

Adding to the feeling of discomfort is the inadequate lighting. Most of my arrivals/departures are early morning or late at night when the airport truly has a gloomy feel. However, my last arrival was at 1500h (3:00pm) and walking from the gate to Immigrations I noticed that all the places with overhead walkways had no lighting underneath so that it was still a bit gloomy even in broad daylight. The raw/exposed concrete does not reflect light.

Also, those white floor tiles are already looking a decade older than they should. They are chipped around the edges, badly scuffed and just plain dirty. The areas where they have colored tiles in a pattern look MUCH better.

Using the Changi airport again as a comparison: cheerily lit (but not over-bright) with clean, colored carpets and orchids everyplace. Not gloomy or uncomfortable feeling at all.

They also need to beef up the window washing detail to be working non-stop. Lots of dirty glass, and I didn't notice a single window washer. The many times I passed through Incheon airport (Seoul), I noticed frequently a pair of window washers working their way around the terminal.

oh go on ....... we do , honest we do.

please tell.

how flatterted i feel.

honestly.

Odd to single out Suwannaphum as I try to avoid every unnecessary minute at any and every airport. I have yet to find an airport on the planet that would entice me to linger, or to purchase an over priced gift at a "duty free" shop. As for grossly overpriced food and drink, it is just part of international travel.

I've got ~ 30 arrivals/departures from Suvarnabhumi. Mostly international departures and arrivals, with maybe 8 domestic hops. I flew out the first day. I like just about everything about the new airport, it serves my purposes well. Departing, I spend my time in one of the nice TG lounges (good coffee, plenty of toilets) and then get to the gate area as the aircraft boarding has begun. Upon arrival, I clear immigration/customs and get a taxi home. What's the big deal? It's an airport not my home. Maybe it's not quite as nice as Changi (SIN) but I think it's on par with or better than KUL, NRT, HKG, MUC, DEN (all newish airports, or add-ons in the case of NRT and MUC) and certainly better than older, more established hubs like CDG/LHR/FRA/JFK/ORD/SFO/LAX. Some complain about the sun/heat while others complain about the darkness and dreariness, go figure.

I find it quite comfortable.

first i was excited about suvarnabhumi.

beautiful. the minimalistic design with the minimalistic use of colours.

goodness me, no every minute spent there is a torture.

grab a coffee? you'll walk miles.

stopovers in singapore are such a nice thing - its cosy, warm, even as an anti-shopper once in a while i drop into a shop.

king power? mafia.

the functionality of the airport is a desaster.

what a shame. so much money. so much expected prestige. and such an anti-human place.

:o I hoped you never expected Suvarnabhumi to be like Chiangi.

Let's face it the purpose of the new airport was to get tourists forced to stay there to catch a flight into the overpriced shops selling stuff you could buy at a better price in Bangkok. That is why the airport was located far enough from Bangkok only a determined tourist would travel to the city.

The last time I was there (in June 2007) they were not opening the departure lounges until 30 minutes before the departure time. If you went to the departure gate before that (and had to pass through the security checks) you had to sit on the walkways until they opened the departure lounge. What a stupid idea! Hope that has been changed by now.

:D

Really, we've already argued this issue 6 feet under in several threads in the airport subforum. Can't the Moderators merge these into one thread?

Oops, sorry Mods, I know discussion of moderators is forbidden on this forum and I don't want to be suspended. I withdraw my comment.

* Again, please accept my apologies for discussing moderation on the forum. Maybe we can just delete the whole thread if unacceptable.

Thanks.

Edited by chinthee

I've got ~ 30 arrivals/departures from Suvarnabhumi. Mostly international departures and arrivals, with maybe 8 domestic hops. I flew out the first day. I like just about everything about the new airport, it serves my purposes well. Departing, I spend my time in one of the nice TG lounges (good coffee, plenty of toilets) and then get to the gate area as the aircraft boarding has begun. Upon arrival, I clear immigration/customs and get a taxi home. What's the big deal? It's an airport not my home. Maybe it's not quite as nice as Changi (SIN) but I think it's on par with or better than KUL, NRT, HKG, MUC, DEN (all newish airports, or add-ons in the case of NRT and MUC) and certainly better than older, more established hubs like CDG/LHR/FRA/JFK/ORD/SFO/LAX. Some complain about the sun/heat while others complain about the darkness and dreariness, go figure.

I find it quite comfortable.

I agree...I have about 20 arrivals/departures so far (all international--no domestic connections).... it serves my purposes very well....but it will be nice when a high speed rail link finishes....the premium TG departure Rows A & B (and fast lane immigration desks) are great! I havent tried the Star Gold check-in at Row H? but I heard that particular check-in can get crowded because of all the golds from other Star airlines like United, Luthansa etc...

The five TG business lounges are OK, but it would be nice if they had more internet terminals (and if they changed caterers)....... I havent checked the promised entertainment zones on Concourse G...anyone know if that area has opened??

but the main TG First Class lounge is very nice (plus a stop in the free TG Spa lounge across the hall for complimentary massages is excellent to put you in a relaxed mood for the flight).... (I dont shop at King Power duty free shops, so that doesnt bother me at all)....the other lounges like Cathay Pacific's are fine (although the food is a bit limited if compared to HK's homebase lounges)....even the private lounges like the CIP lounges are fine to kick back with a glss of whisky (you can get in free with a Priority Pass card, which they give you for free with a local Central Dept store Mastercard) ...

I never have a problem with incoming immigration because I just join the Thai line (because I have a PR book now).....if you happen to fly First class, they will put you in the diplomatic line (if there is any line at all at other immigration counters).....baggage claim is still a bit slow, but ALOT better than before....I don't have any problems with the taxis or touts...

I enjoy Bangkok's airport more than Singapore's Changi actually...the lounges at Changi (even First class) are WAAY too crowded.... BKK's experience is about the same for me as HK's airport, but I actually buy things in HK's airport from time to time (and HK's intra-airport tram is great)....KL's airport is OK and their homebase lounge for Malaysia Air is great! (but the distance to the city is ridiculous) .....I rate the top airports in Asia generally higher than the ones in North America or Europe...(lets not even mention the ones in Africa or South America).....

BKK airport has had more than its share of problems, but overall for me its been fine.....departures great! arrivals fast....that's all I want....