Prague Powder #1 In Bkk?

gregb

Does anyone know where in Bangkok someone would go to buy Prague Powder #1, or else a reasonable size of sodium nitrite so I can mix it myself?

I'm trying to learn how to cure meats, (especially pastrami), and I'd like to find a source for this locally rather than having to ask my sister to send it to me from the states.

Anyone know a shop that sells it in retail quantities?

As I buy a lot of other related curing materials, I get mine from the states. Suggest you get a good digital scale, and S.Nitrite and mix your own. I remember one time someone telling me I could get it at any large pharmacy, but never tried, much easier to just bring it in, also think I saw it available at one of the culinary trade shows via distributors, I'm sure it here thru them, but I currently don't have a connection, if you find one, please post it!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

yes you can make it yourself but need a very accurate scale

Prague powder #1 consists of 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt if you are using Prague Powder #1 - 2.5 g/kg of meat is ok - I would advise against using pure sodium nitrite unless you are well trained in this subject and have a laboratory scale - 2g of pure sodium nitrite (depending on your body mass) can kill ya

We buy Sodium Nitrite by the sack of 20KG for our production which does last us a very long time - I would't think that you could buy it in a drug store anywhere here - you are better of to have someine send you the Prague powder which is as far as I know not available here - our supplier hasn't got it and can't get it from anywhere else either - the logic is, that only larger producers cure meats here and it is easier and more accurate to use Nitrite pure and sodium seperately,

John

Edited by JohnBKKK