Issan, The World's Newest Country

Aujuba

If the northeast broke away from Thailand and became its own country where would the capital be? What would be the main products? Where would its tourist towns be? What about its currency? Main airports? Where would it keep establish its main military bases? What would it promote itself as? how would it attract foreign investment? What infrastructure changes would be needed? What would be the first megaprojects? What laws would be established? What kind of political system would be best for Issan. Where would Issan's media center (Hollywood) be? Do you know any other necessities for a new country?

of course Udon Thani should be the capital, i believe it was the capital of the region when it was apart of a larger kingdom, way way back, before the capital was moved across the river to Vientiane.

it should have a Constitional Monarch.

Khorat is the Economic base since it is closet to BBK.

Kon Kean should be the cultural center,

O yeah, "Thai" means free, i had forgotten

in central Thailand, if Thai means "free" then what does "Tai" mean?

maybe Isan should be Tailand? then they would have to annex southern Isaan to Kampuchi, since they are mostly ethnic Khmer.

The meaning of Tai apply to a person from the certain area of Land. As for example, people in Lao we still call each other Tai Viengchan, Tai Phuan, and Tai Luang Prabang. Tai is also known as AiLao (Lao) the word Tai came about during the migration of AiLao people from Southern China in two gruops, the first group is Tai Yai who migrated into the land of Souvanaphoum about 2,600 years ago, and the second was known as Tai Noi who created the AiLao kingdom 2,100 years ago.

of course Udon Thani should be the capital, i believe it was the capital of the region when it was apart of a larger kingdom, way way back, before the capital was moved across the river to Vientiane.

Oh come on here, since when did the capital of Isan located accross the Mekong river (LanXang River). Vientiene has always been the capital of Isan since it was moved from Luang Prabang in 1560 by king Saysethathirath.

Laos is Laos. Issan or whatever it gets named is a 'brand new' country. Doesn't Issan have its own airline now? I think I saw a website for that at one time. Finally there will be a 'Miss Issan' beauty contest. Is there one already? Foreign embassies will have to be built in the capital too. Then Issan will have to align itself with the US and friends or the former communist countries union (FCCU) which includes the Russians

Edited by Aujuba

Well looking at that Issan Air site, I noticed there is quite a lot of info there including a national flag.

From Issan Air

isaanflag5.gif

Why the American flag is part of it I can't say. Could it reflect a future invasion of the US by Issan?

Laos is Laos. Issan or whatever it gets named is a 'brand new' country. Doesn't Issan have its own airline now? I think I saw a website for that at one time. Finally there will be a 'Miss Issan' beauty contest. Is there one already? Foreign embassies will have to be built in the capital too. Then Issan will have to align itself with the US and friends or the former communist countries union (FCCU) which includes the Russians

Hi all

Great idea ... can I humbly put myself forward for the job of Director in charge of beauty pageant. I will guarantee to devote myself 110% to looking after the wellbeing of these charming young ladies :o

Failing this. a job looking after the national ladies netball team would also be considered!

Lastly if above applications fail I would like to propose myself as parliamentary undersecretary in charge of returning the empties (with special responsibility for collection of tea money).

Yours Humbly

TBWG :D

Well looking at that Issan Air site, I noticed there is quite a lot of info there including a national flag.

From Issan Air

isaanflag5.gif

Why the American flag is part of it I can't say. Could it reflect a future invasion of the US by Issan?

Wow, seriously that is the national flag, i see the lao That Nakorn

is that Cambodia flag sorta? cant tell, but what is most interesting is,

are u sure that the thai government would allow the Lao Kingdom flag to be put on their flag? that is crazy

From Issan Air

isaanflag5.gif

No stands for PAST history: invasion of US Air Force Bases during VN conflict.

The National Anthem would have to be "Urr Urr Urr"

Money could be raised for projects by taxing the legendary organ harvesters.

I propose that the new goverment attempt to have Falang Alley in Udon name a World Heritage Site as there are many ancient fossils to be found there!

Surin of course should be the capital, after all the greatest population of beer drinkers come from here

BEER DRINKERS GUIDE

1) Surin

2) Surin without Elsie

3) Czech Republic

4) Belgium

I, of corse should be king, cos I were brung up well.

Surin (Khmer) is to different from the majority ethnicity of the rest of Isaan (Lao) to ever be capital.

maybe Northern Isaan and Southern Isaan should have a civil war to see where the capital should be? like the US Civil war resolved many of the issues facing them.

the name of the country, well, since they are Lao ppl, basicly, like the other ancient Lao Kingdoms, we have:

Lan Na = Land of the, Million Ricefield

Lan Xang = Land of the, Million Elephants

Isaan should then be called

Lan TukTuk = Land of the, Million Tuk Tuk's

Wonder what the minimum bank deposit Thais will need to secure a visa will be? :o

No, there won't be anything like that. Applicants have to prove their worthiness by drinking 2 bottles of 'Mekhong' straight in front of immigration officials. If the following fraternization ceremony with the officials results in marrying some of their daughters you'll be exempt for life plus getting a free taxi driver license.

Edited by sutnyod