Salary For Non White Teachers?

nemo38

Some friends in Bangladesh have asked me advise them on the possibilities of teaching in Thailand. These people are recent Bachelors or Masters graduates in various subjects (including English). No Toefl.

Reading this thread I have seen that people from Asian countries will attract lower salaries than people with white faces (speaking frankly). How much can my friends reasonably expect to earn?

Also, would it be possible to arrive in Thailand on an Education visa (to learn Thai) and then switch visa to Imm. O (or whatever) to obtain a WP once a teaching post had been secured? I'm talking about a legitimate change of visa and not working without a WP.

Some friends in Bangladesh have asked me advise them on the possibilities of teaching in Thailand. These people are recent Bachelors or Masters graduates in various subjects (including English). No Toefl.

Reading this thread I have seen that people from Asian countries will attract lower salaries than people with white faces (speaking frankly). How much can my friends reasonably expect to earn?

Also, would it be possible to arrive in Thailand on an Education visa (to learn Thai) and then switch visa to Imm. O (or whatever) to obtain a WP once a teaching post had been secured? I'm talking about a legitimate change of visa and not working without a WP.

I am not a teacher, but in the Village it appears that it is up to the Teacher how well he speaks/demands his fees... At this school teachers earn 9,800 month to 43,000 per month, the UK guy has worked as a teacher many years in Thailand and says, so many teachers are wanted it is up to each teacher to get the wage he/she wants. he wanted 50,000 but settled for 43,000... The Phillipino gets less then the Thai teachers.......... this is just a normal Thai School

We have an Indian teacher, teaching Maths to students on the EP programme at our place. He's on 43k but has been at the school for 4 years now. Nice enough bloke but I'm ######ed if I can understand half what he says.

Edited by FatBoyEric

I work with a 100% bangladesh guy but he's from UK and cool is hel_l, yes he's indian, and yes he has the british accent down pat, give the brother a break? isnt it the mind that matters here? mangnum cum laude, mind over matter. dont judge a book by its cover.

I work with a 100% bangladesh guy but he's from UK and cool is hel_l, yes he's indian, and yes he has the british accent down pat, give the brother a break? isnt it the mind that matters here? mangnum cum laude, mind over matter. dont judge a book by its cover.

Very different kettle of fish, is your friend British?

A lot of my friends growing up where from Indian decent, but being born in the UK and having been brought up there are British.

Looking forward to see some non-white (yellow, red, pink, navy blue, chocolate, purple) teachers.

Sick and tired of white supremes with breath of cheap booze, bitchy attitude and lust of retarded teenager.

Keep posting, and very good luck!

At the school where I work, the Filipinos are hired at 15,000 baht per month. Western-farang (white faced), start about 38,000 and going up depending on experience. Folks from India (and I would guess Bangladesh), might start at 25,000-30,000 depending on the mood of the director (and the need, I might add). As Asians, they would not want to let themselves go for less than the 15,000 for sure.

Their best bet is to get teaching jobs as subject teachers--Math, Science, Social Studies etc. They will need an English Language Proficiency exam of some sort--such as Toiec or toefl or Cuthep.

We have teachers from all over the world including India and Africa. Some really great teachers. Language can be a little bit of a problem--but I usually tell the students to give them a month and then come and tell me if they don't understand them. It never happens. Of course most of them have quite good English and it's only the initial fear of the accent that scares the students. I might add that we sometimes run into the same problem between Brits, Aussies and Americans!

Best of luck to them.

At the school where I work, the Filipinos are hired at 15,000 baht per month. Western-farang (white faced), start about 38,000 and going up depending on experience. Folks from India (and I would guess Bangladesh), might start at 25,000-30,000 depending on the mood of the director (and the need, I might add). As Asians, they would not want to let themselves go for less than the 15,000 for sure.

Their best bet is to get teaching jobs as subject teachers--Math, Science, Social Studies etc. They will need an English Language Proficiency exam of some sort--such as Toiec or toefl or Cuthep.

Best of luck to them.

Thanks for a very helpful post. I am surprised that Philippino people get paid so little.

We have an Indian teacher,...............but I'm ######ed if I can understand half what he says.

I know what you mean. Bangladeshi and Pakistani people actually have a far milder, more British, accent than Indians.

On top of that, Thai people particularly dislike Bangladeshis(speaking frankly).

Thanks for the information. There are intelligent and well educated Thai people with an international outlook. But that is in spite of press and TV who encourage a xenophobic and jingoistic world view. So I am not surprised that some people can have silly attitudes.

Reading this thread I have seen that people from Asian countries will attract lower salaries than people with white faces (speaking frankly)

On top of that, Thai people particularly dislike Bangladeshis(speaking frankly).

Well Well Well... Another expert on what Thais like and dislike. Do you have a degree in that? Wait. Don't tell me. It's a BS.