Thai Sense Of Humor

jaiyenyen

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laugher is often a response to nervous discomfort in social situations, so the laugher at someone being dragged down the street on TV might be a reflection of that.

I have witnessed this occurring with my wife and her family. I don't believe Thais find true violence funny at all.

Laughing at other people's/animals' misfortunes is yet another example of the lack of moral principles here. I am sure that this is due to reliance on making merit instead of Buddhist teachings. In particular the need to respect ALL life.

I have not encountered the original situation ever, but speaking as a Thai, people laugh when someone falls over or similar not AT them but to share in the joke, thus making it seem less important, and to show empathy.

Kind of like how a westerner will say 'I know how you feel' when something bad happens and we explain it - well of course you know how it feels, i just told you! Or mabye you don't know anything at all - either way it is a way of showing empathy, and nothing to do with lack of moral principles.

Laughing does not show a lack of respect in THailand. Talking in a loud voice around 'Phoo Yai' can. Whereas the west the opposite might be true.

Does that make one better or worse than the other?! I think not!

As for Bendix, well, the two of us were having a good laugh at, or rather WITH this beggar the other day. I told my driver to stop the chariot (that's what I call my imported 1940s Citroen, brought in direct from germany after the war, used by the SS supposedly, i think that means it is lucky, I like the letter S, and with this car the embroidery gives me 2 of them!) and we decided to see how the other half live.

Knowing that beggars do not increase the competitive advantage of a nation, and knowing that the Porters 5 forces model would appear to dictate a significant intensity of competition, we nonetheless decided to give the invalid a payment even though we can all see the economic viability of his business model leaves him in a weak position vis-a-vis supplier, competitor and customer competitive intensity.

I tell you this. The chap, he was so amusing, the way he had no arms was as funny as that time The Fed were going to raise interest rates and everyone picked 50 basis points, but instead they went with 75. Oh we laughed that day, over our 50m in profits and our cavier served in a pint glass.

Anyhow, in order to not reward laying about, I proposed that the beggar perform a small service for us, to reward his effort, and teach him the benefits of a proper day's work. I therefore, got him to do a small dance, which he dutifully shuffled through, giving a rendition of The Nutcracker Suite not too far distant from George Balanchine to the music of 'Firestarter' by prodigy (The Pendulum remix).

His legs positively flew akimbo as the 6 12 inch subwoofers I had installed in the back of the car pounded their way through the drop. It was almost as if he would do anything for the generous 5 baht we had offered him for his services.

As his 60 minutes of dancing came to a close, Bendix and I shared a hearty laugh, knowing that while humour can be cruel, in our case, getting the poor fellow to do a most awkward dance had instead been an opportunity to entertain and share a joke across cultures, across ethnic groups and across different wealth percentiles as defined by the Lorenz curve we use so often in everyday life.

I trust each of you can also draw on your own experiences and note the fun and joy a small joke can bring to those around us, without being 'laughing at someone or something' but rather a wonderful group hug like experiential medium of communication.

You are a nugget :o and you are talking <deleted>

Thai humor can only be experienced when one speaks Thai well. To get all the subtleties, one has to speak Thai like a native (which is beyond me). Go to a life comedy show, they are much better than what you see on TV.
Trust me, speaking that level of Thai does not reveal any hidden subtleties, it is still slapstick crapola.

I speak enough Thai to understand that much is not just "slapstick crapola", but satire on politics, current affairs, etc.

When i see and understand some of my Thai friends taking the piss out of each other, then i see and understand extremely quick witted humor.

I think you mean half witted :o

someone once said to me 'thailand is a country of adolescants' when it came to humour (and other things) and i tend to agree with this.

Yes adolescants and a good proportion are still children :o

I have to agree the humour is childish at best - suits the retards who drive tuk tuks :D

An example,

Today my Product manager Joy came to me about 20 times to ask me several questions which I all answered and helped her.

Then an hour later my phone rings.

Hi, this is Joy

I know I answer, then I keep listening.

Why you not talk she asks me.

I am waiting for your question I answered.

She was on the floor laughing out loud.

You are so funny she told me.

I am just doing my job I tell her.

Haaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa Joy responds.

I am really having a great time at the office here in Thailand, so funny

who gave her a job??? sounds like a real ass(et)

You know, I've also noticed that Thai people feel free to pointedly tease family members or anybody about being fat, or employees at being "too dark" from Isaan, etc.. They don't seem to have the same sense of political correctness as westerners.

It may not be 'PC' in the flawed western sense but it's a real life fact in LOS hence why thai comedy portrays it.

Edited by JimsKnight

Not knocking Thailand but the humour here is rather basic. Just an observation.

People have said that the word play is something that would go over the heads of 99% of Farangs. Well, this may be true but I would hardly call puns great comedy. Puns are only one level up from custard pies in the face. Are you saying local radio DJ's in the UK or wherever are great comics because they use puns???

"The time's coming up to 8.43 and news just in of a man from Texas who bought a 60 year old tin of baked beans from his local shop.......I guess you could call them HAS BEANS.......I wonder if his favourite actor is SEAN BEAN......etc etc"

Not exactly Bill Hicks is it?

Anyway, like I said not complaing just an observation, I do love the Thai people's thirst for "sanook".

Comedy shows, especially life, are a lot more elaborate - there is political and social satire hidden in the every complex word plays as well. If you watch magnificent British comedy shows such as 'Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister' you will find for example that they live from properly timed "puns" based on wordplay, and are some of the most difficult things to achieve.

Or look at one of the most classic moments of British comedy, a seemingly simple scene where we laugh about the painful misfortune of another - in "Only Fools and Horses" when Delboy is in the Yuppy bar and falls. It's all the right timing.

Thai humor can only be experienced when one speaks Thai well. To get all the subtleties, one has to speak Thai like a native (which is beyond me). Go to a life comedy show, they are much better than what you see on TV.

Only Fools may be one of the most popular British comedy shows but that popularity should tell you that it appeals to the lowest common denominator and is bound to include simple things like slapstick so as to appeal to all ages. One of the most popular? Sure. One of the best? No sir. Not even close.

As for Yes Minister, well the comedy doesnt really lie in the puns, it lies in the deeply satirical content, showing how the government in the UK functions - the faceless civil servants pulling the strings, the Machiavellian tactics employed and the corruption that most Westerners don't even seem to realise exists in their country. Take the gags out and apply them to some guys running a cake factory and I dont think it works so well.

Only Fools may be one of the most popular British comedy shows but that popularity should tell you that it appeals to the lowest common denominator and is bound to include simple things like slapstick so as to appeal to all ages. One of the most popular? Sure. One of the best? No sir. Not even close.

As for Yes Minister, well the comedy doesnt really lie in the puns, it lies in the deeply satirical content, showing how the government in the UK functions - the faceless civil servants pulling the strings, the Machiavellian tactics employed and the corruption that most Westerners don't even seem to realise exists in their country. Take the gags out and apply them to some guys running a cake factory and I dont think it works so well.

Only fools and horses was not just one of the most popular comedies ever, it also won numerous awards, such as 1990 best BBC sitcom, etc.

Nothing lies "only" in the puns. But without the brilliant puns Yes Minister would have been any other political satire, and not reached legendary status.

But, then, maybe snotty childish humor such as Monthy Pythons is more your thing.

Anyhow, this is about Thai comedy. If you speak Thai well enough, than i would advice you to spend some evenings in the Rama 9 comedy clubs, and you will laugh. Don't mistake Thai comedy with the watered down versions of slapstick you see on TV, which is not that funny.

Only fools and horses was not just one of the most popular comedies ever, it also won numerous awards, such as 1990 best BBC sitcom, etc.

Nothing lies "only" in the puns. But without the brilliant puns Yes Minister would have been any other political satire, and not reached legendary status.

But, then, maybe snotty childish humor such as Monthy Pythons is more your thing.

Anyhow, this is about Thai comedy. If you speak Thai well enough, than i would advice you to spend some evenings in the Rama 9 comedy clubs, and you will laugh. Don't mistake Thai comedy with the watered down versions of slapstick you see on TV, which is not that funny.

Maybe you simply don't understand Monty Python.

The slapstick comedy on TV IS funny to the majority of Thai's, thats why its on TV and nearly everybody loves it. Don't try to suggest that a comedy club down one road in Thailand is the only place that represents Thai Comedy. What it must have 0.0000001% of the population viewing the show.

Thai comedy is pretty rubbish, I can't recall one really funny thing a Thai has said to me unless it's by mistake.

The slapstick comedy on TV IS funny to the majority of Thai's, thats why its on TV and nearly everybody loves it. Don't try to suggest that a comedy club down one road in Thailand is the only place that represents Thai Comedy. What it must have 0.0000001% of the population viewing the show.

Thai comedy is pretty rubbish, I can't recall one really funny thing a Thai has said to me unless it's by mistake.

The comedy clubs on Rama 9 are the top of Thailand's comedy clubs. All comedy actors that you see on TV have nightly shows there. They are not just "down one road" - they are the address for quality Thai comedy.

And if you can't recall one really funny thing that a Thai has said to you unless by mistake - then i am sorry to say - i really have to wonder about your social environment here. I really don't want to believe that comment - this is just beyond me. Actually - this whole thread is beyond me... :o

The comedy clubs on Rama 9 are the top of Thailand's comedy clubs. All comedy actors that you see on TV have nightly shows there. They are not just "down one road" - they are the address for quality Thai comedy.

And if you can't recall one really funny thing that a Thai has said to you unless by mistake - then i am sorry to say - i really have to wonder about your social environment here. I really don't want to believe that comment - this is just beyond me. Actually - this whole thread is beyond me... :o

Comedy sounds like a serious business in this thread, eh? :D I think some find more entertainment in self-righteous indignation and put-downs than actually having a laugh.

Different types of comedy appeal to different types of people. what one person finds funny, another will not, and thats fine, i have no problem with that.

My problem the other morning, was getting my G/F's children to understand that watching a news report about some guy in pain,being beaten, tied up, and dragged on his back, behind a motorcycle, to understand that there is a difference between comedy and real life.

Having said that, why do i laugh at the home movie shows that show people having accidents?

I must be thinking too mutt........My Brain Hurts hahaha.

I'll just go and have a lie down :o

Jaiyenyen

The Thais' just haven't evolved as quickly as the rest of the world with regards to many things and I think comedy is one of them. The culture here is so insular, most Thai don't know any famous foreign stars by name and wouldn't know good comedy if it bit them in the ass.

How many Thai's tell jokes? Not many if you think about it.

The comedy of screaming shouting falling down and men dressing up like women is infantile at best and when I see people laughing at it, I am just happy they enjoy it but still look at their development as being a little backward and this is due in no small part to the government putting so much of this crap on the TV to keep the avergae person where they want them. They don't want them to know much about the outside world or develop themselves because then they would stand a chance of becoming educated to a decent standard and pose a threat to the richie riches'. How many times have you seen a big international story on the web and no mention on the Thai TV?

I like some of the people here, but I pity them and all kids that will have to grow up here watching the crap on TV. Too much silly stuff, not nearly enough serious programmes.

The Thais' just haven't evolved as quickly as the rest of the world with regards to many things and I think comedy is one of them. The culture here is so insular, most Thai don't know any famous foreign stars by name and wouldn't know good comedy if it bit them in the ass.

How then do you explain the enormous popularity of Rowan Atkinson AKA Mr. Bean in Thailand? He is foreign, you know.

The comedy of screaming shouting falling down and men dressing up like women is infantile at best and when I see people laughing at it, I am just happy they enjoy it but still look at their development as being a little backward and this is due in no small part to the government putting so much of this crap on the TV to keep the avergae person where they want them. They don't want them to know much about the outside world or develop themselves because then they would stand a chance of becoming educated to a decent standard and pose a threat to the richie riches'. How many times have you seen a big international story on the web and no mention on the Thai TV?

I like some of the people here, but I pity them and all kids that will have to grow up here watching the crap on TV. Too much silly stuff, not nearly enough serious programmes.

Every country has enormous crap on TV, and maybe apart from the UK most countries have and overload of incredibly crappy comedies. That doesn't mean though that they do not have good comedies as well.

Good Thai comedy does not just life from slapstick, but from quick witted wordplays for which tonal languages are very suitable. In life comedies in the clubs you have lots of political and social satire that cannot be shown on TV.

Good Thai comedy does not just life from slapstick, but from quick witted wordplays for which tonal languages are very suitable. In life comedies in the clubs you have lots of political and social satire that cannot be shown on TV.

I agree with the overall point you make - that Thai humour can be a lot more sophisticated than it's being given credit for. But don't expect too much in the way of biting social satire in the cafes. I'd describe it more like poking irreverent fun. Nothing wrong with that and some of it is very funny.

Some of the best satirical comedy I've seen was the Chinese ngiw put on, I think, by Thammasat staff (not students) during the anti-Thaksin protests, which was staged in several parts. The first was very funny and, if the videos had reached a wider audience, would have brought a much better understanding of some of the issues involved than was ever achieved through official channels.

I agree with the overall point you make - that Thai humour can be a lot more sophisticated than it's being given credit for. But don't expect too much in the way of biting social satire in the cafes. I'd describe it more like poking irreverent fun. Nothing wrong with that and some of it is very funny.

Some of the best satirical comedy I've seen was the Chinese ngiw put on, I think, by Thammasat staff (not students) during the anti-Thaksin protests, which was staged in several parts. The first was very funny and, if the videos had reached a wider audience, would have brought a much better understanding of some of the issues involved than was ever achieved through official channels.

Yes, i remember those. They were a welcome relief from the extreme nationalist jingoism of most of the speakers on the PAD rallies.

But i have seen some very biting social satire in the cafes, depending on current affairs, that i didn't think even possible, such as very elaborate satire on certain monks, etc.

On TV i did enjoy the 'Sapha Joke' - the mock cabinet on ITV, but only the pre coup version.

My husband (Thai) was also laughing at this news piece. I asked how he could find it remotely funny and he looked at me so strangely and said he didn't find it funny but was laughing because of how crazy it was...it was Indian police savagely beating the man for stealing something...the POLICE!! As others have noted here, Thais laugh not necessarily to show mirth but to show many different types of emotion. It is only us farang who only laugh over something funny (and cry for something sad, etc) so therefore we assume that because Thais are laughing it's something they consider amusing. If you live here any substantial amount of time it's very obvious that they laugh to show many different emotions...I've seen people laughing after loosing their whole families (tsunami)..now that is not funny, but it's just one way of displaying emotion.

TexasR -

The Thais' just haven't evolved as quickly as the rest of the world with regards to many things Your wife obviously married you because she's less evolved and can't tell what an ignoramus you are....

Thanks for the PM Tex. Making threats on a forum (especially in a PM) is very mature. They were your words declaring Thais were less evolved...too bad your sharp intellect can't decipher irony and sarcasm (farang humour you know). Was making a point of how absurd your comment was just to spell it out for you.

The comedy of screaming shouting falling down and men dressing up like women is infantile at best and when I see people laughing at it, I am just happy they enjoy it but still look at their development as being a little backward and this is due in no small part.....

Seriously?? I know a couple Thai people who seem to to do nothing but tell jokes! Mostly dirty jokes, but jokes, nonetheless.

I find Benny Hill to be absolutely boring and totally un-funny. Men chasing around women in bikinis to upbeat music? Yawn. But you won't find me calling Brits backwards and infantile for laughing at it - just different.

It's called "Cultural Relativism" and I learned about it in Anthropology 101. Should be a pre-req for anyone travelling overseas.

The comedy of screaming shouting falling down and men dressing up like women is infantile at best and when I see people laughing at it, I am just happy they enjoy it but still look at their development as being a little backward and this is due in no small part.....

Seriously?? I know a couple Thai people who seem to to do nothing but tell jokes! Mostly dirty jokes, but jokes, nonetheless.

I find Benny Hill to be absolutely boring and totally un-funny. Men chasing around women in bikinis to upbeat music? Yawn. But you won't find me calling Brits backwards and infantile for laughing at it - just different.

It's called "Cultural Relativism" and I learned about it in Anthropology 101. Should be a pre-req for anyone travelling overseas.

The same in my situation. thai people themselves are funny ad like funny people !

Sorry - where are you talking of? Look in the mirror and the great US of A -- "the culture here is so insular" umm - what percentage of Americans have a passport; wasn't it less than 10 per cent of Americans who could find Iraq on a map! ) The comedy of screaming shouting falling down and men dressing up like women is infantile ..... when did you last watch American TV? -- but still look at their development as being a little backward !!! How many times have you seen a big international story on the web and no mention on the Thai TV? Read American TV... it is a long time since I have read some 200+ words so full of pompous arrogance!!