Diving

kiakaha

Can someone please recommend :

1) the best dive supplies shop in Phuket

2) the best dive operator (equipment, facilities,staff, boats, day tours/liveaboard, safety etc...)

Thanks.

1) Do you need wholesale diving supplies or retail? Is there a specific brand you are interested in? The answers to these questions can help determine a recommendation for a supplier or a shop.

2) There are many, many very good operators. Some ops have their own boats, others do not but still offer great customer service. Some ops that operate their own daytrip boats don't operate liveaboards, and vice versa. It's simply impossible to say 'this one is best' for your entire list. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Edited by mfiskong

Make sure whichever operator you use is an owner operator rather than just a reseller.

Cheers

Being owner operator or seller, doesn't make any differance, even cost wise much. Choosing a good

boat and good instructor and good dive site is most important, not how to dive center looks like, how much stocked items they have....Smaller dive center always do better Job

Make sure whichever operator you use is an owner operator rather than just a reseller.

Cheers

Being owner operator or seller, doesn't make any difference, even cost wise much. Choosing a good

boat and good instructor and good dive site is most important, not how to dive center looks like, how much stocked items they have....Smaller dive center always do better Job

You have much more redress with an owner operator if anything goes wrong.

Why does he need a good instructor? they asked for operators not training.

A good boat and a good crew is very important. You are more likely to see the crew at the office of the owner.

Make sure the boat has all the required safety equipment, including life rafts.

Operators that run 1 boat rather than several focus all their energies on that 1 boat.

A big steel hulled boat with few customers is generally going to be the best in terms of service/comfort/safety though it should be more expensive than a small wooden hulled packed boat.

I personally prefer boats that employ local dive guides rather than foreign prima donna instructors.

As for dive supply shops all depends what you want to buy. You should know what you want before you go into the shop, don't let them sell to you whatever they want.

Cheers

You have much more redress with an owner operator if anything goes wrong.
Why?
A good boat and a good crew is very important. You are more likely to see the crew at the office of the owner.
No, you will not see the crew at the office of the owner, well hardly ever.
Make sure the boat has all the required safety equipment, including life rafts.
Agree, and an independent agent is much more likely to give a proper, unbiased advice, and make sure that the boat he books you on has everything necessary than the owner, who has no choice but to book on his own boat.
A big steel hulled boat with few customers is generally going to be the best in terms of service/comfort/safety though it should be more expensive than a small wooden hulled packed boat.
You are mixing up things here that have nothing to do with eachother: big/small-steel/wood-quiet/busy. For daytrips all boats will be wood by the way.
I personally prefer boats that employ local dive guides rather than foreign prima donna instructors.
Again, your opinion seeps though: I also prefer non prima donna instructors/guides, but that has nothing to do with Thai/foreign. In both groups you will find prima donna's.
As for dive supply shops all depends what you want to buy. You should know what you want before you go into the shop, don't let them sell to you whatever they want.
A good DC will not sell what they want, but what you need.

You have much more redress with an owner operator if anything goes wrong.Why?

Its a lot harder to make a boat disappear than a rented shop.

A good boat and a good crew is very important. You are more likely to see the crew at the office of the owner.No, you will not see the crew at the office of the owner, well hardly ever.

Make your mind up.

Make sure the boat has all the required safety equipment, including life rafts.Agree, and an independent agent is much more likely to give a proper, unbiased advice, and make sure that the boat he books you on has everything necessary than the owner, who has no choice but to book on his own boat.
Agents will sell. It has more to do with what they will make out of the deal and less to do with the quality of the boat.
A big steel hulled boat with few customers is generally going to be the best in terms of service/comfort/safety though it should be more expensive than a small wooden hulled packed boat. You are mixing up things here that have nothing to do with each other: big/small-steel/wood-quiet/busy. For daytrips all boats will be wood by the way.

The Bigger steel hulled boats tend to have less passengers / m3 of space available on the boat. Bigger boats tend to be more stable. The bigger boats tend to be steel hulled. Not all day trip boats are wood hulled there a several aluminium , steel and even fiber glass being currently used in and around Phuket.

I personally prefer boats that employ local dive guides rather than foreign prima donna instructors. Again, your opinion seeps though: I also prefer non prima donna instructors/guides, but that has nothing to do with Thai/foreign. In both groups you will find prima donna's.

Its all about opinions! My opinions are based on hundreds of liveaboard based dives as a customer with no connection to the dive industry. Thats about as independent as it gets.I find the instance of prima donnerism in instructors to be much greater than in dive guides. Foreigners who work in the dive industry in Phuket in almost all circumstances are instructors whereas many locals are employed as dive guides with a qualification of AD or DM. Hope that makes the correlation a tad easier to understand for you. (apologies in advance for the trace of sarcasm displayed in the previous sentence)

As for dive supply shops all depends what you want to buy. You should know what you want before you go into the shop, don't let them sell to you whatever they want. A good DC will not sell what they want, but what you need.
Really?

As per a previous thread here on diving I think a show of hands as to who is a dive professional and who isn't is called for so the OP can see where conflicts of interest may lie.

I am not a dive professional and I have never been involved in the dive industry.

Cheers

Wow Percy

You have made some very strong statements about the diving industry on Phuket as a whole. Some of your claims I totally disagree with but then we are all entitled to our own opinions irrespective of whether we work in the industry or not.

In reply to Kiahaha:

1) the best dive supplies shop? A lot of it depends on what brands and products you are looking for? There are quite a few good retailers offering excellent services - but they represent various brands. If you are not sure what you are looking for please feel welcome to contact either myself or StevenL and I am sure that between us you can get some good advice. Alternatively do a google and check out further recommendations.

2) the best dive operator? There are so many good operations on Phuket so I guess a lot would depend on where you will be located for convenience sake. For example if you are based in Kamala it would make sense to dive with a reputable operator situated there rather than 1 located on the opposite end of the island. Let us know where you will be staying so that we can make some recommendations.

Otherwise you are most welcome to contact me or StevenL (many thanks Donna) if you need any assistance. Even better if you find yourselves in our areas pop in for a refreshment and a chat. I believe that it is always better to meet the DC operators first - check out the operation and from there you will get a good gut feel on who you would be most comfortable with.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Wow Percy

You have made some very strong statements about the diving industry on Phuket as a whole. Some of your claims I totally disagree with but then we are all entitled to our own opinions irrespective of whether we work in the industry or not.

Chantal, I completely agree with everything you said there. So you do not completely misunderstand me I enjoy diving from Phuket and there are some great operators out there. But I also see a lot of bogus / false or maybe just plain incompetent advice being thrown around on forums.

You have openly said that you're part of the dive industry. Generally on TV if someone says that XYZ restaurant is fantastic and then later are found to be the owner of that restaurant most people take a very dim view of it.

I think if you are going to give an opinion on which is best and you have a financial interest you should be morally obligated to let the OP know.

I didn't know StevenL was part of the industry until your post.

Cheers

good suppplies shop...just a walk in retail shop that is well stocked.wanna start building up my kit.

operator..i want to do day trips(to the similans also if that is possible) . will be staying at cape panwa initially.have my own car, so getting to wherever is not an issue.

just looking for the following qualitys in the dive operator

1) safety

2) the best quality facilities, equipment

3) prefer smaller dive groups

4) the quality of the boats, the bigger and more luxurious the better

5) exemplary skill, experience and knowledge of the dive masters

when does the season start, december ?

To the OP:

For retail sales I highly recommend Waterworld in Patong to you. They have a wide selection to choose from. Also I believe the staff there would give you some fair advice.

With regards to the high season it starts early November and for the finest Liveaboard boat - MV Ocean Rover is by far the best IMO. Another excellent option is The Junk - MV June Hong Chian Lee. There are other less expensive options and if you are keen to know more feel welcome to contact me or Steven. If you have not dived The Similans/Richelieu Rock and the southern islands Hin Daeng/Hin Muang the best months are March/April as we tend to see more of the bigger pelagics then.

For efficiently run daytrips:

1) MV Greta owned by Calypso divers

2) MV Reefcruiser owned by Eurodivers

Otherwise Percy - if you care to read the previous posts on this particular thread you will see that it is no secret that I work in the Diving Industry. Also it is fairly common knowledge amongst many people that StevenL is also involved the industry. If you did not know this at least now you know. Furthermore I have certainly not recommended my operation. Refer back and you will see that somebody else did. I have simply offered some advice to the OP which is what I gather this thread is all about.

OP hope this helps.

I'm interested in diving, but have never done it - can anyone recommend a company for a complete beginner to use, who'll do something very basic for someone who just wants to dip their toe in the water, so to speak. I'm not a particularly strong swimmer and have only snorkelled once.

Also, and maybe embarrassingly, are there any dives that don't start at the crack of dawn? Not much of an early riser, I'm afraid...

Am happy to take advice from those in the industry or those that aren't. An idea of when the best time to do it and how much it is also appreciated. I'm based in Patong btw and have no transport.

I'm interested in diving, but have never done it - can anyone recommend a company for a complete beginner to use, who'll do something very basic for someone who just wants to dip their toe in the water, so to speak. I'm not a particularly strong swimmer and have only snorkelled once.

Also, and maybe embarrassingly, are there any dives that don't start at the crack of dawn? Not much of an early riser, I'm afraid...

Am happy to take advice from those in the industry or those that aren't. An idea of when the best time to do it and how much it is also appreciated. I'm based in Patong btw and have no transport.

I personaly as an padi instructor, think being good swimmer is very essensial to diving , unfortunatly many certified divers hardly can swim and i have seen it tens of times, and they don't place any importance to that. I can teach you how to swim 400meters in matter of a week. Swimimg lesson comes free if you do diving course with us. We do open water course one2one and 4 days and we always meet everyone budget.

Thanks. When I say I'm not a strong swimmer, I mean I generally don't drown or anything. I'm looking for a one day beginners' course, to see if i like it or not. Nothing more, nothing less. Ideally, I'd like to be picked up about 11am, driven to somewhere exotic, preferably with scantily clad ladies, then go diving in a safe environment for an hour or two and then be given a load of beer on the way back home, in a sort of "you survived, here's your reward, type way". Not sure such cowardice is permitted in the diving community, but if it is, I'm in.

And I'm very cheap, so your boast you can meet everyone's budget may be something you'll regret!

In short; I'm cheap charlie and lazy, but curious about diving.

Thanks. When I say I'm not a strong swimmer, I mean I generally don't drown or anything. I'm looking for a one day beginners' course, to see if i like it or not. Nothing more, nothing less. Ideally, I'd like to be picked up about 11am, driven to somewhere exotic, preferably with scantily clad ladies, then go diving in a safe environment for an hour or two and then be given a load of beer on the way back home, in a sort of "you survived, here's your reward, type way". Not sure such cowardice is permitted in the diving community, but if it is, I'm in.

And I'm very cheap, so your boast you can meet everyone's budget may be something you'll regret!

Your looking for a discover scuba type package.

Where as BKKDUDE seems set on you doing a full open water certificate.

The disco package is where they take you out on the boat dress you in the scuba gear and dunk you in for 15-20mins so you get a quick peek at the pretty fishes.

I don't think there is a swimming requirement for Discover scuba.

Cheers

Your looking for a discover scuba type package.

Where as BKKDUDE seems set on you doing a full open water certificate.

The disco package is where they take you out on the boat dress you in the scuba gear and dunk you in for 15-20mins so you get a quick peek at the pretty fishes.

Cheers

Indeed I am. Sorry to confuse the two points - just thought I'd jump in on this thread, rather than start a new one. My bad. I want a one day beginners' course, where I probably won't drown. Can you recommend a company that caters for cowards like me, and when is the best time to do it? And how much - I'm unashamedly CC.

I personaly as an padi instructor, think being good swimmer is very essensial to diving , unfortunatly many certified divers hardly can swim and i have seen it tens of times, and they don't place any importance to that. I can teach you how to swim 400meters in matter of a week. Swimimg lesson comes free if you do diving course with us. We do open water course one2one and 4 days and we always meet everyone budget.

Chantal,

This is a typical piece of misinformation.

He starts by saying he's a PADI pro, then inside the same sentence goes on to say how he doesn't agree with his own certifying agency.

Hans ,

If you do a PADI ($Put Another Dollar In$) Open Water course the swimming requirement is

- Swimming Requirements - 200 Metres (0r is it actually yards) non stop swim (any style) and 10 minutes treading water.

BKKDUDE,

your post was at 2.42am were you PUI (posting under the influence of alcohol)?

Cheers

Indeed I am. Sorry to confuse the two points - just thought I'd jump in on this thread, rather than start a new one. My bad. I want a one day beginners' course, where I probably won't drown. Can you recommend a company that caters for cowards like me, and when is the best time to do it? And how much - I'm unashamedly CC.

Hans,

I'm sure Chantal can recommend somebody.

I think a Disco dive in the sea runs about B2,500 these days.EDIT A Disco in the pool is usually free EDIT OVER An Open Water Training course , with certification would be anywhere from B8,000 to B20,000.

As I was alluding to in my previous post Dive companies,centre's,instructors sell you what they want not necessarily what you want.

BKKDUDE your post was a timely way to reinforce my point.

Cheers

Edited by percy2

I'm certainly posting under the influence of alcohol. Mind you, I'm not much better sober. Some say worse...

All I want is an hour or so frolicking with the fishes, but not in a Troy McClure type way. So, where in Patong is the best place to go for such activity, and when?

PERCY 2

Some of your points are valid, some are not

There are people contributing to the thread that have thousands of dives rather than hundreds yet you appear to give their opinions no weight...............

SE Where did I say I only had hundreds of dives.

Read more carefully. If there is more than one interpretation be be prepared to consider both.

I agreed with a lot of Chantal has said if not all of it. I have given weight to other peoples opinions.

Yet it seems that the "pro's" give little or no weight to the opinions of customers. Maybe thats because of their vested interests.

As a matter of interest which of my points do you believe don't hold water , I will review them.

Cheers

Percy, I think it is time you relax a bit, and learn more about the dive industry here on Phuket before posting here about diving.

StevenL,

I'm quite relaxed.

The reason I am posting is because I do know quite a lot about the dive industry in Phuket.

PS the superior attitude doesn't suit you.

Cheers

Chantal,

He starts by saying he's a PADI pro, then inside the same sentence goes on to say how he doesn't agree with his own certifying agency.

Hans ,

If you do a PADI ($Put Another Dollar In$) Open Water course the swimming requirement is

- Swimming Requirements - 200 Metres (0r is it actually yards) non stop swim (any style) and 10 minutes treading water.

BKKDUDE,

Cheers

Listen Keyboard Pecker I never said that , it's the certifying people who break the rules, not certifying engency. for that reason you expected to fill Quality Assurance Report Form to padi when you witness any violations of PADI Standards.

Secondly, i could be out with friends for various reasons until early morning when oppourtunity permits, doesn't mean i was drinking. please refrain from making empty statement

Chantal,

Hans ,

BKKDUDE,

Cheers

Listen Keyboard Pecker I never said that , it's the certifying people who break the rules, not certifying engency. for that reason you expected to fill Quality Assurance Report Form to padi when you witness any violations of PADI Standards.

Secondly, i could be out with friends for various reasons until early morning when oppourtunity permits, doesn't mean i was drinking. please refrain from making empty statement

I am sorry BKKDUDDE, I apologize. I didn't realize you were a newbie instructor.

When did you qualify?

Cheers