I Want To Build In Two Years

I am looking to buy a nice house or land to build it on in few years when i retire to LOS, hopefully to a place like Hua Hin or maybe even Issan

Looking for your thoughts on when to do it

To overpay my mortgage here in UK, try to pay it off and avoid the extortionate intrest I pay, and then save for a nice place in Thailand, also in doing this I get a rental income form my house when we do move fulltime to LOS ?

or

Continue to pay what I can off of my mortgage here and also save to buy a place or land to build on in Thailand as soon as possible ?

I need to consider

Property prices in UK are increasing so will my house and the value of it will improve daily ?

Are land prices in Thailand going to increase massivly in the next few yaers ?

My crystal ball says that land prices in Hua Hin at least will not go up in the next few years. You may have to move a bit further out from the town center for the same price, but that's probably a good thing anyway as the town expands.

My advice is don't burn your bridges! This place is going to rat shit for many reasons.Get as much info about Thailand from this site as you can, believe me, if you've got any brains you'll find a different destination - it's all too hard here and you could loose it all.If you really want sleepless nights worrying about if and when the government will move the goal posts then by all means come. It's time we who have messed up told the truth to others who are thinking of coming here instead of quietly smiling as we see many fall into the same traps. good luck whatever you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever you do keep you house in the UK; you may need to go back to it when you are too decrepit and can live off its income. Anyway who knows what it will be like to get a retirement visa in the future; you may not be rich enough to qualify (seriously; this is a good way to keep the poor farangs out; humane compassion does not come into it!).

You should be able to build a house for peanuts in Isaan; Hua Hin would cost more. Even so if you pay Thai prices for the land and pay the builders and builders merchant yourself it should be very cheap. Depends what you want, but maybe in a warm climate you dont need much of a roof over your head to live comfortably? Remember what Buddha said about craving and wanting; maybe you dont need the perfect house? Certainly there is no such thing as the perfect life (ie retirement in paradise, whatever that is).

Good idea or not, I built a house than I plan on retiring to but it won't be for another seven years. The positives are that I will have a nice, paid for house when I get there, and I'm paying for it while I still have good income. The bad part is that I bought it when the exchange rate was something like 42 baht to the dollar so I'm taking a big hit now. I'm married to a Thai so I feel pretty confident that one way or another I'll be able to stay. It could turn out bad but I'm thinking positive!

Edited by dclaryjr

• 2 months later...

Just come across this post.

I sold up in the UK 20 years ago and live here permanently.

If you keep on your house in the UK you will need regular visits to check all is OK. You will have to maintain the property. Probably pay tax on the rental income. is it worth it?

House prices due to drop in the UK Some say by as much as 30%. i would get out now before it is too late.

Isan area is nice to live -quiet though. depends on your age. Can build a very nice house for 1 million baht + land. £20,000 should do nicely. Plenty of farangs around though, and pattaya is less than 5 hours away by car.

You need to consider how you will own the land on which you build?

Do you have a Thai wife/gf? If so it might be easier for you.

Are you prepared to have a mortgage on the property here? The "Company" formed to own the land is on its way out as I understand it?

Personally until the land ownership issue is resolved I would not dream of buying here. Houses here in Pattaya are not selling too well. There is a great deal of anxiety among Ex Pats in relation to land ownership.