Buying Farmland

dave_boo

The opportunity has arisen for me to purchase 22 rai of land right across from the mother in law's. It includes a typical country style 2 bedroom concrete house (currently unfinished...read walls, roof, and doors only), as well as an outbuilding for storing tak-tak/corn. It is located in Nakhon Sawan Province, so while there is, at least compared to NW Ohio where I grew up, quite a bit of stones, it appears to be fairly fertile. It is located on the side of a gentle hill, but the soil composition appears fairly uniform throughout thus it is likely that the yields should be consistent across the field.

Price asked is 520 000 THB for everything or only 400K for the land. As you can tell from my post, as far as liking the possibility to increase the family's land holding is concerned, I am fairly enthused, however, I don't want my pants pulled down over the price.

Also, it is my understanding that there are several "levels" on property titles here in Thailand, and I don't want the family locked into some type of squall with another, so if you could give advice on that along with anything else it would be appreciated.

PS.

Since the house is not needed, how much would the market bear to rent it in both current and finished state? The wife reckons it run about 300K to finish it, but I'm assuming that's to Western standards...all the conveniences she has become accustomed to; air con, western kitchen, satellite, running water, etc.

The price sounds quite reasonable, provided it has a chanote. (nor sor 4). Being on the side of a hill it is most likely not suited for rice paddies so you will need to think about other crops, perhaps sugar cane, corn or soybeans.

I was also from North West Ohio. A small burg named Ottoville to be precise.

<b>SAP</b>

It is located in Mae Poen subdistrict.

<b>Gary A</b>

Firstly, according to google maps, I grew up 53.8 miles northwest of you outside Wauseon, the county seat of Fulton Co. Guess it's a small world after all.

Corn, which I am really well acquainted with growing is there now. Walking through the field, I didn't notice any sign of blight or anything else out of the ordinay, in fact reiterating my previous post, the growth seemed remarkably uniform.

I had already ruled out rice as being a candidate, in fact that's why I included the topography in my original post, thus allowing those wishing to give advice the advantage of knowing as much as possible.

I have, in the States, raised soy, grain corn, wheat, sugarcane, and potatoes. I am a firm believer in crop rotation, so knowing what actually can be raised for a decent profit fitting in with that mentality is a bonus.

Can wheat be grown and is there a market for it? I'd assume potatoes would be out of the question since at harvest time they need cool dry weather or they'll rot in the ground. What about bell peppers? They're crazy expensive in Big C, leading me to think they're a greenhouse only product. How close to correct is that assumption?

Mostly "decent" profits don't exist in Thai agriculture for someone who grew up outside Wauseon. If you grew up outside Pom Pisai it would be possible to make a decent profit growing just about anything if you already owned the land....but not a great profit unless you were already rich and owned alot alot of land already.

Chownah

Price asked is 520 000 THB for everything or only 400K for the land. As you can tell from my post, as far as liking the possibility to increase the family's land holding is concerned, I am fairly enthused, however, I don't want my pants pulled down over the price.

About 6 months ago my Thai wife purchased 10 Rai in Lat Yao province (Nakhon Sawan).

The price was 200,000 Baht. It's about 4 Km outside the closest village.

The land is level, and would be about 2 Km from the nearest surface water (swamp)

and there are no rocks at all. Just a few coconut palms and mango trees near the boundary.

There are no buildings on the land.

It has electricity and scheme water nearby.

The title is "sor por khor".

Mum has planted Casava and it's doing well.

Hope this helps.

<b>SAP</b>

It is located in Mae Poen subdistrict.

<b>Gary A</b>

Firstly, according to google maps, I grew up 53.8 miles northwest of you outside Wauseon, the county seat of Fulton Co. Guess it's a small world after all.

Corn, which I am really well acquainted with growing is there now. Walking through the field, I didn't notice any sign of blight or anything else out of the ordinay, in fact reiterating my previous post, the growth seemed remarkably uniform.

I had already ruled out rice as being a candidate, in fact that's why I included the topography in my original post, thus allowing those wishing to give advice the advantage of knowing as much as possible.

I have, in the States, raised soy, grain corn, wheat, sugarcane, and potatoes. I am a firm believer in crop rotation, so knowing what actually can be raised for a decent profit fitting in with that mentality is a bonus.

Can wheat be grown and is there a market for it? I'd assume potatoes would be out of the question since at harvest time they need cool dry weather or they'll rot in the ground. What about bell peppers? They're crazy expensive in Big C, leading me to think they're a greenhouse only product. How close to correct is that assumption?

If I remember correctly the ground up that way starts getting a little tough, lots of clay. Further south especially in Putnam county is really good farm ground. Putnam county was part of the Great Black Swamp. I think you will have a difficult time finding anhydrous ammonia to inject for the corn. :o Ears of corn like you were used to back home just don't exist here. There won't be any 240 bushels of corn per acre. You may be surprised at the soybeans. They are normally pretty short but seem to grow fairly well. Like rice, they cut them and bundle them to run through a thrashing machine. Lots of work for very little money. I hope you are not planning to make any money from farming here because you will surely be disappointed. If farming here were easy, the Thai farmers would not be so VERY poor.

post-41989-1189345304_thumb.jpg

About 6 months ago my Thai wife purchased 10 Rai in Lat Yao province (Nakhon Sawan).

The land is level, and would be about 2 Km from the nearest surface water (swamp)

and there are no rocks at all. Just a few coconut palms and mango trees near the boundary.

Hope this helps.

I have been looking at buying some land for use as a rubber plantation, with some intercropping in the first years as the trees mature.

I have looked at two plots with some interest in buriram province.

One is 11 rai, and as you can see from the photo (11 rai S, if it actually did attach) it has not been tended to for years and the trees are underdeveloped for their age as the area is chocked with weeds. I suspect the whole area would have to be ripped up and we would have to start from scratch. The owner is asking 650,000 THB, or 59K/rai.

The second is 25 rai, and has been very well tended (see photo 25 rai S). It is constantly worked, intercropped with man sampalang and the trees are 2 - years old I believe. The asking price is 1,500,000 THB, or 60k/rai.

So obviously the second is better for the price, though larger than I want. Does anyone have an opinion on these parcels and prices? I have been told that the 'land' is overpriced but i do nto know if that refers to raw land with no work invested in it or if (say the 25 rai plot) is actually properly priced given the work into it and the development stage of the trees.

Thanks in advance for any comments. (lookin at the preview looks like maybe the pics are not titled but it is easy to see which land is which)

post-41989-1189345453_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

I have been looking at buying some land for use as a rubber plantation, with some intercropping in the first years as the trees mature.

One is 11 rai, and as you can see from the photo (11 rai S, if it actually did attach) it has not been tended to for years and the trees are underdeveloped for their age as the area is chocked with weeds. I suspect the whole area would have to be ripped up and we would have to start from scratch. The owner is asking 650,000 THB, or 59K/rai.

The second is 25 rai, and has been very well tended (see photo 25 rai S). It is constantly worked, intercropped with man sampalang and the trees are 2 - years old I believe. The asking price is 1,500,000 THB, or 60k/rai.

So obviously the second is better for the price, though larger than I want. Does anyone have an opinion on these parcels and prices? I have been told that the 'land' is overpriced but i do nto know if that refers to raw land with no work invested in it or if (say the 25 rai plot) is actually properly priced given the work into it and the development stage of the trees.

Thanks in advance for any comments. (lookin at the preview looks like maybe the pics are not titled but it is easy to see which land is which)

post-41989-1189345453_thumb.jpg

Price, it all depends on what part of Buriram Province, if in the sticks i think 59 and 60 a rai is a little steep, i actually got through to the wife, told her what was the point in having baron land full of weeds, lets put it to some use, i have just planted 6000 euca trees last week, on land we had that was baron, 4kms outside Buriram , just full of weeds, got a tractor to clear and plough, then we planted, paid 1 baht for 3 euca saplings, grade 155, wife and i are planting another 5 rai next year and the year after, this way we will have a rotating crop, when it comes to cutting, if any of you guys have more info on euca please advise, oil etc, we have planted these to sell as pulp, or poles for scaffolding which i believe sell at 120 baht a pole.

It is the old Thai story, once someone does something, they copy, now half the village wants to grow euca.

Hi Kuma

Boy those prices sound like "Farang Prices" !!

We recently purchased 114 Rai in Nakhon Sawan province and paid 15,000 Baht per Rai.

The land is already under Casava and well maintained, has power nearby, but no scheme water as yet.

Of course I was not involved with the purchase - it was all done by my Thai relatives.

The best way to buy anything in Thailand (to get the right price) is to send a Thai friend or relative to negotiate.

As soon as a Farang appears to be the buyer, the price will automatically (naturally) go up.

Hello all

This land price thing is much more confusing than most people understand. The chances are that land purchased at 15000 bt. per rai will be crown land eg. the King owns it, and he gives permission for the tenent to farm that land. You can not sell such land, only pass it to another member of the family. If the crown wishes to take it back it can at any time. This happened to me, we had 65 rai which we had not used. One day a a bunch of soldiers rocked up and set up camp , with the intention of saying for 3 to 5 years. There is nothing we can do about it. Not that I cared as the land was given for free by the wifes Grand farther. who had been told by the powers that be that the land was to be re issue to other people. the saying is use it or loss it. So in away the army has saved us the loss of the land by using it and when they leave I may have the money to use it.

The motto of this story is just because pay ,that does not mean you own it

JIM

Yes I understand that James

One always needs to qualify what type of "title" comes with the land.

The "sor por khor" title is more like a licence (or a lease) to use the land until

such time as you have it reposessed by the government or a "chanot" title is

granted or you sell the rights to another family.

Land with the "chanot" title is more like a western owner's "title deed".

That's why land with a "chanot" title is usually more expensive.

However that said, "using land" or "owning it" for a long time, in practice,

gives the same result - to a Thai family anyway .. they make a living from it,

and at some time in the future they can hand the rights to their children, or sell

the rights to another family.

It's also important to make sure the money paid for the land is paid to the real

title holder and not to some middleman who just wants to pay off his debts.

As far as I know, the main thing in paying for "sor por khor" land is that the paperwork is

properly registered with the local Ampur titles office and that it has been OK'd by the

village foreman. Also, no family member is allowed to own more than a certain quantity

of land. I think the title has to have the names of all adult family members on it.

I imagine that in Thailand many of the "rules" can be be rather "flexible" depending

on the individual circumstances.

Hi Kuma

Boy those prices sound like "Farang Prices" !!

We recently purchased 114 Rai in Nakhon Sawan province and paid 15,000 Baht per Rai.

The land is already under Casava and well maintained, has power nearby, but no scheme water as yet.

Of course I was not involved with the purchase - it was all done by my Thai relatives.

The best way to buy anything in Thailand (to get the right price) is to send a Thai friend or relative to negotiate.

As soon as a Farang appears to be the buyer, the price will automatically (naturally) go up.

does that land already have crops growing on it? Or is it in raw form and not yet being farmed. that could explain some of the price diff, but probably not all

Yes the land we purchased has crops already growing - as I said "under (cultivation and planted with) Casava".

I have heard that a lot of Buddhist farmers are leaving the south of Thailand and are looking to buy farmland

in the middle and northern regions - obviously to get away from the Muslim terrorist trouble in the south.

So that may be generating land price rises everywhere.

In fact soon after the sale was completed another farmer wanted to buy the land off us and he offered a

us a reasonable cash bonus to help us make up our minds!

However my family are happy with their purchase and want to start farming as soon as possible.

They have to wait until the previous owners harvest the present crop.

I have heard that a lot of Buddhist farmers are leaving the south of Thailand and are looking to buy farmland

in the middle and northern regions - obviously to get away from the Muslim terrorist trouble in the south.

I think that this is a rumor and nothing more. Land prices aren't going up everywhere...they haven't gone up around where I live at all....and farm land prices generally don't go up....it is the land that is being developed that has a price rise relative to the farm land it used to be.....and the small number (I assume) of people leaving the south is assuredly not going to start a develoment boom.....if so then I'm sure that it would be widely publicised and known.

Chownah

I think that this is a rumor and nothing more. Land prices aren't going up everywhere...they haven't gone up around where I live at all....and farm land prices generally don't go up....it is the land that is being developed that has a price rise relative to the farm land it used to be.....and the small number (I assume) of people leaving the south is assuredly not going to start a develoment boom.....if so then I'm sure that it would be widely publicised and known.

Chownah

Wife's mum tells me many Southerners have bought and are looking to buy land on which to grow rubber. Two lareg farms (200 rai approx.) have been purchased near our place in Chaiyaphum.

Chownah

Wife's mum tells me many Southerners have bought and are looking to buy land on which to grow rubber. Two lareg farms (200 rai approx.) have been purchased near our place in Chaiyaphum.

Any idea what price they paid?

Chownah

Any idea what price they paid?

I second that, any price info would be great to hear

thx

Sorry for delay in getting back to you. I sense an interest in purchasing land in Chaiyaphum. Land was bought for 35,000 a rai. 200 rai approx. bought. Chanoot title, dirt road but plans to build good road approved, no electricity, well water - no canal. This info. from memory, wife's gone to collect kids. Will try to get Google earth map ref. as I find this very useful for looking at land for sale.