Change Retirement - Married

I am about to go for my 3rd renewal on a retirement visa, and have been thinking of changing to a married to a Thai visa.

I have the income to go either way, but am thinking that the married visa may be the better long term one to have if they keep screwing with the rules. The most recent change and nixing the grandfathering tradition is a bit disconcerting

Is it possible to change and how?

When I went to renew my retirement visa for the second time a few months ago, I was huffily told by the imm officials that I could not RENEW my retirement visa, only APPLY for a NEW one.

Therefore when your retirment visa expires, I don't see why you just DON'T apply for a new retirement visa, but apply for Visa based on Marriage to a Thai instead.

Believe you were using the wrong term - you have an extension of stay based on retirement and you wish a new extension of stay. You file a TM.7 form and the required paperwork and obtain a new extension of stay. He will just ask for an extension of stay based on marriage rather than retirement next time it is due.

A few months ago applied for retirement visa thinking the required

sum was at least 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank. Am married to Thai

national, and reside in house which cost 8,000,000 baht. Was informed

by Immigration officer that I needed to show 1,600,000 in bank if

we had joint account. This statement conflicted with the written

rules, but T.I.T., so I said nothing. Had the money, so got visa, and

then subsequently took my wife's name off the account, with her

approval. But what is going on? If what this immigration officer

said was true, it would make more sense to apply for a marriage

visa. Or was he just misinformed??? :o

Thanks, and when I extend my stay, I will attempt to do on the basis of married not retired.

Oddly enough this is what I wanted 3 years ago, but at the time Immigration insisted on giving me a retirement as it was less work for them, and I could meet the monetary requirement.

If it is a married visa, can the money be in a joint account? One would think so if the intent is to support ones wife, however it seems that logic does not necessarily prevail.

Any comments on if the married visa is a safer approach given the recent rule change re dependents and no grandfathering?

Thanks, and when I extend my stay, I will attempt to do on the basis of married not retired.

Oddly enough this is what I wanted 3 years ago, but at the time Immigration insisted on giving me a retirement as it was less work for them, and I could meet the monetary requirement.

If it is a married visa, can the money be in a joint account? One would think so if the intent is to support ones wife, however it seems that logic does not necessarily prevail.

Any comments on if the married visa is a safer approach given the recent rule change re dependents and no grandfathering?

You or your wife or both together need to prove a monthly income of 40,000 Baht a month. You cannot use the money in the bank method as used to be the case before October 2006.

I just extended my retirement visa in Chiang Mai today. See post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=140645&hl=

In and out in 45 minutes, and no real changes from previous years EXCEPT they kept my original proof of income letter from the U.S. Consulate and said I would need a new original from U.S. Consulate, CHIANG MAI, next year. Easy.

Believe you were using the wrong term - you have an extension of stay based on retirement and you wish a new extension of stay. You file a TM.7 form and the required paperwork and obtain a new extension of stay. He will just ask for an extension of stay based on marriage rather than retirement next time it is due.

The words 'extension of stay' were not used by the imm official, he definitely stated 'you must apply for a new one'. And I've known them for a long time, so no mistake in my understanding. Whatever. Just semantics. Still boils down to their wanting to see 800k in your THAI bank account every year.

How long must you actually be married to a Thai before you can apply for the visa based on marriage to a Thai (or whatever they call it) by the way?

When I went to renew my retirement visa for the second time a few months ago, I was huffily told by the imm officials that I could not RENEW my retirement visa, only APPLY for a NEW one.

Jitagon, the immigration officer was right.

You cannot “renew” your retirement visa (non-immigrant visa category O-A). You have to apply at a Thai consulate for a new visa.

That was about visas. Regarding extensions of stay, you cannot “renew” an extension of stay at an immigration office. You have to apply for a new extension of stay (fill out application form, submit other documents, pay fee).

--

Maestro

The words 'extension of stay' were not used by the imm official, he definitely stated 'you must apply for a new one'. And I've known them for a long time, so no mistake in my understanding. Whatever. Just semantics. Still boils down to their wanting to see 800k in your THAI bank account every year.

How long must you actually be married to a Thai before you can apply for the visa based on marriage to a Thai (or whatever they call it) by the way?

I've never read anything about having to wait any particular length of time before applying for a visa after marriage. I assume as soon as you have the marriage certificate

and the other required documents, you could apply.

As to how long to get an "extension of stay based on marriage", I suppose that depends on what type of income, and where it comes from, to comply with the 40,000 baht per month requirement.

Not wishing to be pedantic, but for the purposes of clarification, the imm officer was insinuating that I had the temerity to think I might be able to RENEW my retirement visa to enable me to continue living in The Land Of The Gods. What he, in actual fact THEY, as they were all lounging about sniggering, said was that I could humbly APPLY for a NEW one (actual words), NOTE: not RENEW, whereupon they might deign to grant me a NEW retirement visa. Again semantics. But my point to the OP was that if one type of visa has been designated EXPIRED, then there's nothing stopping him from applying for an entirely different type of visa. Hope this is clear.

Regarding the post re the length of time between obtaining the Affirmation to Marry and actual marrying, yes of course you can marry immediately afterwards, but basically, what is the 'shelf-life' of said AtoM? For instance, if one happened to be in the vicinity of the Embassy in Bangkok, and popped in to get aforesaid, but found it more convenient to take the thing back to one's home province and bundle the potential spouse up to the local Amphur, how many weeks or months (I KNOW it won't be years, before anyone jumps in on that one ...) could lapse before they start getting all querulous about the length of time in between date on Affirmation and date of arrival to register nuptials at said Amphur?

There are no specific requirements between immigration offices. I have a friend who now refuses to use Phuket immigration and goes to Bangkok. I use the small immigration office in Chiang Khan and they still require a medical statement. Some news travels quickly and others apparently doesn't get there at all. My last address check in, I took my pension verification letter with me and asked if that would be good to use in November. I got a VERY quick NO! I was told that I needed a new letter and that it had to be legalized in Bangkok. I have since wire transferred money to show the 800,000 baht in my Thai bank account.

I had also previously asked about the marriage (support) visa and was told that it was a lot of extra work and the retirement visa was quicker and easier. If you meet the retirement visa requirements there is no advantage to changing and just more headaches.