New Cellphone Internet?

sleepyjohn

I have heard that there is a new cellphone internet connection that is fast and reliable, unlike the usual one which was slow and reliable, at 500bt/month.

The difference is it uses a dedicated cellphone and costs 3000bt to set up. (I got all this second hand)

Anyone know anything about this....and is it in CM?........I am trying to help an aged friend with no phone line?

Edited by sleepyjohn

If the person is long stay, may con. a Sat. link that has simple phone. Phone wise it as cheap as any cell plus you can use internet at the same time. Its not an IP/VoIP phone you connect a cheapy 99baht phone from tesco to it. and it uses the internet connection. Mine works fine. 99 baht month 1baht minute outgoing, incoming free. Internet is 256/128 speed works 24/7 never had problem. 1500 month. If you don't have phone line like me it worked out great. phone and internet billed seperate, can use any international calling program you want. Its realy just dial tone from ToT over your internet connection. If the person doesn't have or use PC then thats a diff story would be some waste with the internet, but this is what I use out in the sticks.

I had a PM flash on my screen but it went away can't find it. I use ToT IPstar just contect the Office, if its IPstar from other then ToT they should have like system. Just contect the provider.
The PM will still be in your message folder, scroll to top of screen and click on New Messages, which will probably say you have (1).

Regards

Are you talking about the CAT CDMA system ??

Thats fast.. 12k for the initial hardware then 599 per month.. Or a slower version with about 4k for the hardware and same monthly..

Read threads on CAT CDMA and aircard..

Hi, do you have any idea what speed you may get from the slower version? Where I live, just north of Kanchanaburi the faster version is not supported and when I went to the local Hutch shop all they could tell me was 'quite fast' although I guess that must be quicker than the 5kbps I usually get from my AIS 1 2 Call GPRS right now.

Are you talking about the CAT CDMA system ??

Thats fast.. 12k for the initial hardware then 599 per month.. Or a slower version with about 4k for the hardware and same monthly..

Read threads on CAT CDMA and aircard..

Hi, do you have any idea what speed you may get from the slower version? Where I live, just north of Kanchanaburi the faster version is not supported and when I went to the local Hutch shop all they could tell me was 'quite fast' although I guess that must be quicker than the 5kbps I usually get from my AIS 1 2 Call GPRS right now.

To summarize all the other threads on this: Hutch is using the older CDMA standard with 150kbps, CAT is using CDMA EV-DO which goes to 1024kbps in theory and half that in practice. The problem is you can't roam between CAT and Hutch with the data plan (voice works though - woohoo, geniuses!) and the Hutch data plan is somewhat more expensive. CAT on the other hand doesn't really want to sell their equipment.

I had to go to the main CAT office in Chiang Mai - that huge building where you go to settle late bills and such - to be ushered to a table on the side where a lady brought some very dusty and old-looking Sierra Aircard 580 boxes. At 12K baht. This model has since been discontinued so I am sure that CAT will get some new equipment if and when they actually start selling their freaking service. As for now... they'll sell you equipment that doesn't do EV-DO. Pretty weird stuff.

Thankyou Nikster

Does the CAT signal come from regular cellphone transmtters?

My friend lives in Mae Jo about a couple of miles east of the university with good cellphone reception....will he get a signal?

He occasionally stays in BKK next to the Oriental.....would he get it there?\

What will you do about getting the best CAT speed?

ps: since I started this thread I've been getting a humming 1357kbs in CM on Maxnet for 790bt.....the fact that it's speed has hiked raises it's attraction all round.

yes chiang mai has CDMA internet. supposed to be very good. 1024 connections if you buy the expensive start up hardware as been mentioned here. sierra aircard. cheaper version can work with any cdma capable phone though but limited to 120kpbs. i think !

contact TOT for more information.