Crackdown On Smoking In Night Entertainment Venues

george

Good move........

Smoking is a disgusting, filthy, rotten, smelly, foul, crummy, stupid, expensive, dangerous habit that only retarded people would take up, why on earth would you choose to pollute your own body? It's beyond belief.

If smokers insist on risking their own lives by smoking cancer sticks, then they should be herded together into special sealed rooms where they can each breathe in the toxic smoke to their poor hearts content, where us decent folk don't have to breathe in the filth that comes from their diseased and decaying bodies.

Smokers should be deported if they break the law. :o

Edited by Maigo6

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move........

Smoking is a disgusting, filthy, rotten, smelly, foul, crummy, stupid, expensive, dangerous habit that only retarded people would take up, why on earth would you choose to pollute your own body? It's beyond belief.

If smokers insist on risking their own lives by smoking cancer sticks, then they should be herded together into special sealed rooms where they can each breathe in the toxic smoke to their poor hearts content, where us decent folk don't have to breathe in the filth that comes from their diseased and decaying bodies.

:D

Do you mean like putting them in concentration camps?

I agree and it amazes me how people can think that people who take illegal drugs harm us ordinary people more than those who smoke. It is disgusting when you dine in a restaurant and have to breathe in those fumes!

BTW, maigo6, are you saying you have never smoked? Cigarettes I mean.

I'm a smoker. i like to smoke, ESPECIALLY when i drink....

If it is so horrible, and the majority is against it, why isn't everyone going to non-smoking clubs and bars? And, if there isn't enough non-smoking venues, stop and think just why that is?

If it was such a good idea, wouldn't there be more non-smoking venues?

thats i also not understand.

and wait, sooner or later will the tea totaler claim their rights in your bar, followed by the vegetarians who come for the salad buffet in the steak restaurant.

Great to hear but as always all talk no action.

Smoking is disgusting as are smokers

As are the self righteous!

We had this four years ago didn't we? I distinctly remember a law coming in banning smoking in air con venues.

As you can see, even the Authorities seem to have forgotten about it.

Anyway, its not the laws, its the enforcement.

Will be the best day of my life, if they can inforce this new rule. Only problem is this is Thailand, Policeman will be smoke'n as he fines you.

So sick of wanting to go out , but ending up with a headache from all the smoke and clothes that stink.

Don't blow your smoke at me and I won't blow my food at you.

If it is so horrible, and the majority is against it, why isn't everyone going to non-smoking clubs and bars? And, if there isn't enough non-smoking venues, stop and think just why that is?

and wait, sooner or later will the tea totaler claim their rights in your bar, followed by the vegetarians who come for the salad buffet in the steak restaurant.

This is the point where I start disliking smokers.

What if I start burning joss sticks and mosquito coils while you guys are dining? And start farting in your faces?

I recall there was some study suggesting that smokers were permanently wired with additional nicotine responseders meaning that even years after giving up they would be more attuned to the presence of smoke. It struck me at the time that it may be a cause of the ex-smokers extreme reaction.

Regards

It is very easy to tell when nicotine is posting under someone’s name, and when people are posting. It is unfortunate but true pro smokers are posting what nicotine wants them to post.

People don’t smoke cigarettes they like, the smoke cigarettes they can tolerate.

Smoking ban due soon

BANGKOK: -- Smoking will soon be banned in night entertainment venues, once a new Health Ministry regulation takes effect, a seminar in Bangkok was told yesterday.

But Dr Seri Hongyok, a deputy head of the Department of Disease Control, said patrons of karaoke bars, pubs, nightclubs and cafes would still be allowed to smoke in designated areas.

"Smoking will be barred only in air-conditioned areas or in other public places where non-smokers are."

The department would enforce a regulation under which violators would face fines up to Bt20,000.

He said there were now 10 countries that impose no-smoking rules in night entertainment venues.

Seri said the rule was needed to cope with new marketing strategies employed by tobacco companies to lure more young people to smoke, as there were about 200,000 new smokers every year.

A study by the department found the number of woman smokers aged 15-24 had risen to third place on a top-10 ranking of smokers in Thailand, he said.

The number of night entertainment venues, meanwhile, has risen to 6,853 last year from 5,249 in 2005.

Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said.

-- The Nation 2007-09-07

Never caught on in thailand did it ? we went to the pig and whistle the other day, they are all still puffing for england in there, we were going to eat but had a quick drink and left,.

nothing to do with reformed smokers.

the atmosphere inside some pubs and bars is nothing short of disgusting , with inadequate ventilation or air conditioning and the thick fog of second hand smoke.

smokers are in the minority and should have their own areas , let the majority have clean air and clothes that dont reek of tobacco.

smokers do not have the right to make those who do not smoke smell as bad as they do.

And what about those cigar smokers ? whats that all about ! walking about like a peacock with a turd in your gob ! ugh

I'm a smoker, and I totally agree that smoking should be stopped in enclosed public spaces.

It's disgusting, and I'm disgusting...somebody shoot me please and put me out of my misery.

,, Now now ,we dont want you shot,only removed ! :o What was it really like in those smoking booths that people used to run from the plane to in bkk old airport ? looked awful,.

Smoking ban due soon

BANGKOK: -- Smoking will soon be banned in night entertainment venues, once a new Health Ministry regulation takes effect, a seminar in Bangkok was told yesterday.

But Dr Seri Hongyok, a deputy head of the Department of Disease Control, said patrons of karaoke bars, pubs, nightclubs and cafes would still be allowed to smoke in designated areas.

"Smoking will be barred only in air-conditioned areas or in other public places where non-smokers are."

The department would enforce a regulation under which violators would face fines up to Bt20,000.

He said there were now 10 countries that impose no-smoking rules in night entertainment venues.

Seri said the rule was needed to cope with new marketing strategies employed by tobacco companies to lure more young people to smoke, as there were about 200,000 new smokers every year.

A study by the department found the number of woman smokers aged 15-24 had risen to third place on a top-10 ranking of smokers in Thailand, he said.

The number of night entertainment venues, meanwhile, has risen to 6,853 last year from 5,249 in 2005.

Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said.

-- The Nation 2007-09-07

Old_cigar_smoker_from__Havana.jpg

Dunno what your all whingin about, im 37 and its done me no harm !

It is very easy to tell when nicotine is posting under someone’s name, and when people are posting. It is unfortunate but true pro smokers are posting what nicotine wants them to post.

People don’t smoke cigarettes they like, the smoke cigarettes they can tolerate.

Thanks John, you can check that attitude at the door... KThxBye

When these bans have happened in California and NY, all the restaurant and bar groups lobbied heavily against them thinking business was going to drop. They assume that they'll lose the smokers as customers. Then the bans have been put in place and not all that much happens. Some businesses take hit, but most others see an increase in business as more non-smokers show up.

What the businesses can do is count the smokers in their places. What they can't do is count the number of people who stay away due to the smoke. This latter number has been pretty big, they just didn't know it. And it turns out they lose fewer smokers than they thought.

Bangkok is not an outright ban and selective enforcement is an option, so where smokers are really valuable, the smoking areas are going to be bigger. My guess is, most places are going to shrink the smoking areas over time.

When these bans have happened in California and NY, all the restaurant and bar groups lobbied heavily against them thinking business was going to drop. They assume that they'll lose the smokers as customers. Then the bans have been put in place and not all that much happens. Some businesses take hit, but most others see an increase in business as more non-smokers show up.

The same thing has happened in Australia since the no smoking bans were introduced in clubs and pubs. A noticeable drop off in patronage for a short period of time, and now a resurgence of customers as non-smokers return to the clubs they previously abandoned.

It's also healthier and a lot quieter. Healthier because the air is free of second hand smoke and quieter because nobody is coughing. :o

being a smoker I've no problem with the ban in bars, nightclubs and resteraunts.

When I went back to Scotland this year they'd had it for nearly a year, pubs were just as busy as before.

Singapore it came into force on July 1st this year, again no big deal.

It's not exactly a hardship having to nip outside for a smoke in this part of the world unlike Scotland in winter. but as one poster put it the copper who fines you here will probably have a fag hanging from his gob. TiT

a bit harsh, don't you think? :D

you don't mean that....surely :D

Gone are the days of Crucifixtion, unfortunately. :D

Suszzy, there's nobody as harsh on smokers, as ex-smokers! :D

Or perhaps people with asthma who can easily have an asthma attack when being near a smoker. That elevates to a level above just being annoyed.

Now that they have done everything but basically make smoking illegal, when will they turn their attention to the millions of polluting, cancer causing automobiles that are choking the lives of millions of people everyday - but yet go unpunished?

If I choose to walk into a smoky nightclub - at least I had a say in the matter to expose my self to the risks involved, on the other hand, due to the fact that people have to commute to work everyday to survive (ie -not much choice in the matter), we are all subjected to much much much more air pollution caused by cars, trucks and buses. cough cough.

If we are gonna roll out the moral / health police for the betterment of all mankind, let's add the auto industry to the list of targets. But as we all know, that won't happen because nobody has every died from lung cancer or other lung related diseases from 40 years of sucking on the tailpipe of your friendly neighborhood Toyota. The fact that they smoke a cigarette in high school "has" to be the reason for their illness.

Pure hypochracy.

If we are gonna roll out the moral / health police for the betterment of all mankind, let's add the auto industry to the list of targets. But as we all know, that won't happen because nobody has every died from lung cancer or other lung related diseases from 40 years of sucking on the tailpipe of your friendly neighborhood Toyota. The fact that they smoke a cigarette in high school "has" to be the reason for their illness.

Pure hypochracy.

Car manufacturers have been called upon to reduce harmful emissions in new vehicle designs. Most new car models are a huge improvement on what we had ten years ago.

Leaded petrol has been outlawed in many countries. Hybrid cars are becoming more and more prevalent.

Blaming cars as a reason for allowing smoking in enclosed areas is rather lame, but typical.

Or perhaps people with asthma who can easily have an asthma attack when being near a smoker. That elevates to a level above just being annoyed.

That would be me.

And yet I can look beyond that and I'm opposed to any laws and regulations on private establishments that dictates what they should or shouldn't allow.

Laws like this should regulate public venues and locations only.

Pure hypochracy.

Car manufacturers have been called upon to reduce harmful emissions in new vehicle designs. Most new car models are a huge improvement on what we had ten years ago.

Leaded petrol has been outlawed in many countries. Hybrid cars are becoming more and more prevalent.

Blaming cars as a reason for allowing smoking in enclosed areas is rather lame, but typical.

I agree, not much of an argument, when did the last person die of exhaust fumes unless he connected the hose !

Smoking is disgusting as are smokers

Having pretty much won the smoking battle, from what I can gather the "Health industry / police" (and make no mistake it is an industry with lots of vested interests who are NOT going to suddenly retire) are going after the next easy target.

Obesity.

I am conflicted on this - I appreciate the civil liberties aspect of folk can eat what they want / can force feed their children a diet of <deleted> and on the other hand it is expensive for the rest of society to pay for their indulgences / stupidity.

I am coming down towards taking action, mainly on aesthetic and body odour reasons. Pretty the much the same as for smoking really - and both groups are easy targets, as they cannot run quickly :o

That would be me.

And yet I can look beyond that and I'm opposed to any laws and regulations on private establishments that dictates what they should or shouldn't allow.

Laws like this should regulate public venues and locations only.

:o so you sure are not going to tell me how i can be protected in my own private quarters here in my condo where my opposite neighbour is a (female)chainsmoker, home all day (because financed by her husband-pilote), chatting with her 2 friends (smoking along of course, allthough they probably hate it), from which we, absolutely zero-tolerance non-smokers), have to endure daily the 2nd hand waves of smoke. I sweettalked her and cursed her, (thai love that as we all know), all in vain because : i do what i like in my room (sic). I finally had to plead with her gentleman-husband, so now she did buy some air-purifiers, i think; i taped my entrancedoor, which consequently my thai relatives can hardly open or close but the cablebox in my kitchen and bathroom still allowed the smoke to penetrate through because of false ceilings, so i filled them up with newspapers too. I have lived here 8 happy years, what now?.....sell and move or wait for the stroke to come?!

This is the point where I start disliking smokers.

What if I start burning joss sticks and mosquito coils while you guys are dining? And start farting in your faces?

i just would not go to places where people farting in the face each other. simple like that.

and nobody is talking here about smoking big cigars next to your dinning table. acceptable and understandable is a ban for restaurants and most smokers a well behaved and know already 'don't smoke during dinner' and they don't smoke in an office full of non smoking co workers, and don't smoke in a waiting room for the dentist.

we talking about pubs, clubs and disco such alike.

lot of people speaking here about the majority is against smoking, dislike smokers and all and for owners of non-smoking venues is not any loss of customers.

so why we need in this beautiful capitalist world a law that bans smoking in all places. why don't let the market regulate himself and let the people, the customer make the decision. why you just don't go in a non smoker pub, disco? or opening a non smoking pup, that seems to be the hottest business idea of todays world.

our smoker work hard all day and in the evening he want bring that money that is left after being taxed by a bureaucratic complex in a pub and have a cigarette. a piece of personal freedom (okay, as the tabacco industry suggest it to him). and now there comes the same bureaucratic complex with a law and a ban to regulate his life. and it's also not anymore a personal decision of a business owner how to run his private bussiness. let say he cater for a nice market, pipe smoking chess players. non smokers or those with no interesst in chess wouldn't go there, enough other places to go for them exist. and why make now a law that regulate or make his pipe smokers pup illegal? nobody forces the pipe smokers to go there and do something against their will, neither they need some protection from the government on what they do in their spare time.

call the police, call the government to make a law. that's what i dislike here.