Crackdown On Smoking In Night Entertainment Venues

george

Smoking ban due soon

BANGKOK: -- Smoking will soon be banned in night entertainment venues, once a new Health Ministry regulation takes effect, a seminar in Bangkok was told yesterday.

But Dr Seri Hongyok, a deputy head of the Department of Disease Control, said patrons of karaoke bars, pubs, nightclubs and cafes would still be allowed to smoke in designated areas.

"Smoking will be barred only in air-conditioned areas or in other public places where non-smokers are."

The department would enforce a regulation under which violators would face fines up to Bt20,000.

He said there were now 10 countries that impose no-smoking rules in night entertainment venues.

Seri said the rule was needed to cope with new marketing strategies employed by tobacco companies to lure more young people to smoke, as there were about 200,000 new smokers every year.

A study by the department found the number of woman smokers aged 15-24 had risen to third place on a top-10 ranking of smokers in Thailand, he said.

The number of night entertainment venues, meanwhile, has risen to 6,853 last year from 5,249 in 2005.

Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said.

-- The Nation 2007-09-07

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoking ban due soon

BANGKOK: -- Smoking will soon be banned in night entertainment venues, once a new Health Ministry regulation takes effect, a seminar in Bangkok was told yesterday.

But Dr Seri Hongyok, a deputy head of the Department of Disease Control, said patrons of karaoke bars, pubs, nightclubs and cafes would still be allowed to smoke in designated areas.

"Smoking will be barred only in air-conditioned areas or in other public places where non-smokers are."

The department would enforce a regulation under which violators would face fines up to Bt20,000.

He said there were now 10 countries that impose no-smoking rules in night entertainment venues.

Seri said the rule was needed to cope with new marketing strategies employed by tobacco companies to lure more young people to smoke, as there were about 200,000 new smokers every year.

A study by the department found the number of woman smokers aged 15-24 had risen to third place on a top-10 ranking of smokers in Thailand, he said.

The number of night entertainment venues, meanwhile, has risen to 6,853 last year from 5,249 in 2005.

Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said.

-- The Nation 2007-09-07

Will they enforce it?? :o

Several of the adult venue bars have already put up no cigar or pipe signs. The biggest change will be the venues that cater to the Japanese. Actually it will be fairly effective and easy to catch violators. All one needs do is simply look for ashtrays. An ashtray is an invitation to smoke. If the people decide to use the floor as an ashtray, well that mess is easy to spot too. I guess I can expect an upturn in clients who want to stop smoking.

Edited by John K

"Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said."

i only take my kids to bars that do not allow smoking.

"Songsak Watthanaphoon, owner of a popular venue in Chiang Mai, said his premises imposed a ban on smoking three years ago and had won praise from customers with young friends or children. Smoking customers had suffered minimally, he said."

i only take my kids to bars that do not allow smoking.

Night entertainment venue doesn't always mean adult night entertainment venue.

Had it over here in the SMOKE for a couple of Months now and guess wot...No Problem...... :D

The Real HEAVY Smellies "badger off" outside somewhere and the whole Pub/Restaurant scene now is pretty good....

I dont stink like Fag Ash Lil ...or Arfur ...any more when I stagger back from the Boozer and I am saving a fortune on Dry Cleaning Bills ....another Business Trip to LOS maybe..... :D

Those Arggg....KOFF Koff....Days have Happily..GONE....... :o

nothing to do with reformed smokers.

the atmosphere inside some pubs and bars is nothing short of disgusting , with inadequate ventilation or air conditioning and the thick fog of second hand smoke.

smokers are in the minority and should have their own areas , let the majority have clean air and clothes that dont reek of tobacco.

smokers do not have the right to make those who do not smoke smell as bad as they do.

I thought smoking had been banned in air-conditioned public areas in Thailand for ages.

The second part of the quote is a bit confusing. If a smoker lights up in a

public places where non-smokers are
- doesn't it then become a smoking area?

Peter

Born again bible thumpers are a VERY distant second as compared to reformed smokers. :o
nothing to do with reformed smokers.

the atmosphere inside some pubs and bars is nothing short of disgusting , with inadequate ventilation or air conditioning and the thick fog of second hand smoke.

smokers are in the minority and should have their own areas , let the majority have clean air and clothes that dont reek of tobacco.

smokers do not have the right to make those who do not smoke smell as bad as they do.

The Prosecution rests, mi'lord :D

From my experience the smokers will make some noise and threaten not to come back. Then after a week or so they will come back when they realize they are tired of watching TV. A very typical nicotine response. That was the typical response in the USA when it happened there.

I am not sure of the numbers in Asia but the Japanese certainly seem to have a higher number than westerners. Comfortably I can say about 20% smoke and more so in concentrated groups.

Edited by John K

Smoking ban due soon

-- The Nation 2007-09-07

Where in Chiangmai is this "Songsak" venue. <deleted>, there's not a place in town as such that bans smoking!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Another law that will be "selectively enforced". :D

Just look out of the window of any non-smoking pub, bar, restaurant, etc; and watch 40 y/o trucks roaring by, belching blue smoke...

Its like; "Let's look at what developed countries are doing and blindly follow suit". :o

I just read in the Bangkok Post that the Thailand 'state owned' tobacco monopoly (who have 77% share of the local market), is planning on building a big new rolling plant...

So, I could in theory be fined for smoking by the same people who supply my evil cigarettes.

Er.....?

if smoking is so disgusting for the majority, why we need a law to ban it. why not let the people just simple vote as customer.

why there are not smart and clever business man open non smoking pubs, bars and discos already? they should be packed with all the non smokers who find it so disqusting and terrible in the places that allow smoking. it should be a gold mine. there is always more then one choice to go, and a non smoking club/pub/bar should have a big advantage in competition.

and let some other business owner care for a niche marked, the smokers. you don't have to go there.

i would vote for the night entertainment venues that allow smoking, because i would feel strange in a night club with all those kids running allover the place like the one in chiang may seems to be. yes, i know night entertaiment doesn't mean sleazy adult entertaiment. but it's not like disneyland or a milk shake and ice cream bar. there i would not smoke and wouldn't mind kids on daytime activities.

Born again bible thumpers are a VERY distant second as compared to reformed smokers. :D

Right on!

As a non-smoker I can always smell a smoker and always hear a reformed smoker.

It would be better in the bars without the smell of smoke - then we tell who really took a bath before their night out.

What health nut would be hanging out in a BG bar? :o

STATE ENTERPRISES / THAILAND TOBACCO MONOPOLY

New bid for cigarette plant to be launched

WICHIT CHANTANUSORNSIRI

Friday September 07, 2007

The Thailand Tobacco Monopoly is gearing up to call for a new international bidding contest to build the state enterprise's new production facility.

snip

bangkokpost.com

Looks like a little political posturing if you ask me.

I'm a smoker. i like to smoke, ESPECIALLY when i drink....

If it is so horrible, and the majority is against it, why isn't everyone going to non-smoking clubs and bars? And, if there isn't enough non-smoking venues, stop and think just why that is?

If it was such a good idea, wouldn't there be more non-smoking venues?