Bus To Bangkok Gripe

piker

As many of you already know, Thais only have 1 level of sound volume: EAR SHATTERING LOUD!

I took the bus to Bangkok the other day and a movie was showing which is a great idea as there's little else to do.

The movie was about a bus trip but just like the soaps on Thai TV, much of the dialogue is shouting and highly dramatic. Jai yen yen!

The volume of the 90 minute movie was ear shattering so nap time was out of the question.

Lucky for me, this was the 11:00am bus so I had already had my 2 cups of java. Does this also happen on the 5 am bus too?! Talk about rude awakening. The Indian fellow next to me was snoring through it amazingly.

Edited by piker

I have taken to Bangkok to Pattaya bus several times but had no video shown at all - which bus did u take?

Anyway, whenever I travel on public transport or stay in cheap hotels, I always take my ear muffs. These are not the fluffy ones worn by japanese ladies to keep their ears warm, but the REALLY heavy duty ones that are constructed to be used by big blokes wielding a road drill - so really manly. And not the usual ones that you see in Thailand - there were brught specially from the Uk with really good spring to hold them around your ears. They work a treat, except are a bit selective on what sounds they block out. Sometimes they block out the dull background to leave the shrill notes of Thai gabble behind but are usually OK. Highly recommended, although other farangs usually can't get their head around it all when I try to explain it to them.

ive been taking the bus to bkk for well over a decade - i can never recall a movie or music. was this a private??? maybe you ought to do it they way all of us do .. thru the north station

were you on one of the orange buses out on sukhumvhit - yeah, those can be dire and take longer - why??

I have taken to Bangkok to Pattaya bus several times but had no video shown at all - which bus did u take?

I rode the newer buses. There were 2 screens for your viewing pleasure and about 20 speakers for your deafening displeasure! 113 baht same same the older buses. All from North station.

If you see me, please speak up. :o

Anyway, whenever I travel on public transport or stay in cheap hotels, I always take my ear muffs. These are not the fluffy ones worn by japanese ladies to keep their ears warm, but the REALLY heavy duty ones that are constructed to be used by big blokes wielding a road drill - so really manly. And not the usual ones that you see in Thailand - there were brught specially from the Uk with really good spring to hold them around your ears. They work a treat, except are a bit selective on what sounds they block out. Sometimes they block out the dull background to leave the shrill notes of Thai gabble behind but are usually OK. Highly recommended, although other farangs usually can't get their head around it all when I try to explain it to them.

my kensington folding noise-cancelling headphones are a lot smaller and more fashionable than those huge yellow industrial ear clamps.only $35 from tiger direct and a lot cheaper and just as good as the $300 bose quiet comforts.mine go on every flight and work forever on just one aa battery.

Edited by bowthai

my kensington folding noise-cancelling headphones are a lot smaller and more fashionable than those huge yellow industrial ear clamps.only $35 from tiger direct and a lot cheaper and just as good as the $300 bose quiet comforts.mine go on every flight and work forever on just one aa battery.

Bowthai,

I can't see this model on the Tiger Direct website - can u recommend any other current brands? Also can u get these in Thailand or have them posted by the company without having to go through customs? And aren't noise reduction earphones only really good for repetitive sounds that the computer can program itself for, like aircraft engines, rather than video or speech? I've often wondered about the noise reduction earphones but have been put off even by the manufacturers who have said they are only good for background repetitive noise.

Bowthai,

I can't see this model on the Tiger Direct website - can u recommend any other current brands? Also can u get these in Thailand or have them posted by the company without having to go through customs? And aren't noise reduction earphones only really good for repetitive sounds that the computer can program itself for, like aircraft engines, rather than video or speech? I've often wondered about the noise reduction earphones but have been put off even by the manufacturers who have said they are only good for background repetitive noise.

i bought them from tiger direct last year in the states so they may have run out of them or discontinued carrying them.might try mbk in bkk or tukcom on pattaya tai road.they work great for the low background hum of the engines and i can listen to the movies or stereo on planes much clearer without the loud droning in the background and it comes with an adapter plug for single or double plugins.high pitched infrequent sounds get through a little muffled and voices are lowered and have to take them off to hear the flight attendant or another passenger.i tried another passenger's quiet comforts from bose and noticed no discernible difference from mine plus they were bulkier and heavier.

I use this bus from Pattaya Nua regularly and have done for years and I have never had a movie played on it, what bad luck for you. I always take my i-pod with me to block out the noise around me on the bus I really hate the Thai girls that talking incessantly and very loudly on their mobiles for the whole journey, but the i-pod does work.

I use this bus from Pattaya Nua regularly and have done for years and I have never had a movie played on it, what bad luck for you. I always take my i-pod with me to block out the noise around me on the bus I really hate the Thai girls that talking incessantly and very loudly on their mobiles for the whole journey, but the i-pod does work.

I forgot to mention that happened...

I said something rude to her in Thai and she went into whisper mode and her face became a little red. I don't care who I embarass. :o

Perhaps its the steel toe cap boots and dayglo jacket ! :o