Baht Bus Fare - The Real Story

jinjok

Same here, I have spent a lot of time along Thepprasit Rd and only seen the odd BB every hour, usually chartered by people going to the go cart track.

I assume that some of the passing buses that do stop are chartered, but if they pick up like a bus they will always go all the way to Sukhumwit or all the way to Thappraya in the other direction. Give it another try because like I said I have never had to wait longer than 30 minutes, and usually much less. Just get on, don't talk to the driver, and pay 10 baht, never a problem.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's make the Jews stand on the back of the bus and reserve the seats for everyone else. Let's do this in London. All Jews have to stand, they cannot sit. How about all black people, or people of dark color we make them pay double when the board the tube or a bus?

Distasteful? Why? Many of you have no problem justifying paying double because of your lily white skin, so why fret about dark skinned people or Jews for that matter.

And of course we know don't we, that Jews all have money - so why shouldn't they pay double. How dare they have more money than most, why they should be forced to spend more.

What nerve they have, that the Jews can come to England and expect to pay the same as any other Brit - we know better - they have more money and they should be punished for having it.

That's it, punish them by taking some of it and giving it to those less fortunate.

Sure, that's equitable.

Exactly.

Let's make the Jews stand on the back of the bus and reserve the seats for everyone else. Let's do this in London. All Jews have to stand, they cannot sit. How about all black people, or people of dark color we make them pay double when the board the tube or a bus?

Distasteful? Why? Many of you have no problem justifying paying double because of your lily white skin, so why fret about dark skinned people or Jews for that matter.

And of course we know don't we, that Jews all have money - so why shouldn't they pay double. How dare they have more money than most, why they should be forced to spend more.

What nerve they have, that the Jews can come to England and expect to pay the same as any other Brit - we know better - they have more money and they should be punished for having it.

That's it, punish them by taking some of it and giving it to those less fortunate.

Sure, that's equitable.

Jews, black people, London, You lot have lost it, time to go back to your beer chang.

Well I have used it for a few years. I just use that route every month or so but have never had to walk. I don't know if its official or not, and also at least half the trucks are charters and won't stop for you.

I've have also found this to be true.

No, it is discrimination based upon race

Yes, and that defines racism. Thanks for that fine point.

discrimination

dis·crim·i·na·tion

noun

Definition:

1. treating people differently through prejudice:

Look folks, please just give up trying to say this baht bus pricing isn't a form of racism. They look at your race and they treat you differently based on their racial determination. There is no way to logically prove this isn't racism. Instead, why not amuse us with arguments about why this particular manifestation of racism is justifiable, even desirable. Good luck with that!

The core of my point is pay up, they are a mafia, they might be break your legs if you don't pay so your principles are worthless, but please, please do not CHEERLEAD for racist thugs.

Absolutely correct!

Some thoughts are...

Price is still cheap and I do see some kind of price notice on rear window of most baht buses. The drivers are mixed from good service to overall bad service. The recent attention in the media about baht bus rep may help. You look at other places like Samui to find out how bad it can get.

Get on the bus going the direction you want and when they are going the wrong way get off and pay 10B. Get on another going your direction and pay another 10B. Try going for a joy ride like I have done. They make all kind of turns and you still stay on! They pull over and ask where you go and you say anywhere. They then say we go home you get off. Pay 10B.

There are to many BB on the road and no regulation as to when they drive. I was under the assumtion that the WHITE strip down the side means that bus has access to BEACH rd.

I guess we could start logging baht bus numbers to find out who is overcharging. This might not be 100% as each bus may have several drivers? If we had a list and could quickly sort out if to board or not. We could then tell the driver to drive on and take the next bus.

I hope logging bus numbers on this board is not some kind of violation of forum rules?

:o

Yep! Pay the 10 Baht & be happy. This solves all problems. If they ask you for 20 Baht, tell them to 'get stuffed'!

Same here, I have spent a lot of time along Thepprasit Rd and only seen the odd BB every hour, usually chartered by people going to the go cart track.

I assume that some of the passing buses that do stop are chartered, but if they pick up like a bus they will always go all the way to Sukhumwit or all the way to Thappraya in the other direction. Give it another try because like I said I have never had to wait longer than 30 minutes, and usually much less. Just get on, don't talk to the driver, and pay 10 baht, never a problem.

Me too.

Sure, that's equitable.

Jews, black people, London, You lot have lost it, time to go back to your beer chang.

Cubes2, you have lost it...or don't you understand what an analogy is? Time you went back to school or got OFF the beer chang.

Sure, that's equitable.

Exactly.

Except for the fact that here, blacks, japanese, arabs and caucasians are ALL considered farang.

It is not discrimination based on race, but purely different price for locals or foreigners (mostly tourists), and one must admit that tourists are fair game in many, many countries if not all.

I do not agree with the principle of double pricing, but it's a fact of life here in Thailand, and for crying out loud we're talking about 5 Baht. If you take a bus 4 times a day, that's 600 baht in a month. Less than any 1 taxi ride in my home country.

Have fun

onzestan

Ok, you've forced me to do it!

A mate of my'n is a caucasian. He was born in Thailand & therefore holds a Thai passport. He also speaks Thai fluently - just like a Thai national. He also spent 20 or so years living in the US but is now living here in Thailand. He has informed me that he even gets treated like farang (charged exorbitant prices) until he shows his Thai passport. Mind you, most of the time he gets away with it because the locals can pick on up the fact that he speaks Thai, like a Thai.

So, there you go. It is racial discrimination mixed with an equally dreadful thing called nationalism. These attitudes are certainly opposite to Buddhist teachings...or is it part of that wonderful 'program' called 'Thai Culture'?

These attitudes do not foster peace & harmony & generally have the effect of removing smiles from the faces of people who live in the Land Of Smiles. What a bloody contradiction!

Edited by elkangorito

Except for the fact that here, blacks, japanese, arabs and caucasians are ALL considered farang.

It is not discrimination based on race, but purely different price for locals or foreigners (mostly tourists), and one must admit that tourists are fair game in many, many countries if not all.

I do not agree with the principle of double pricing, but it's a fact of life here in Thailand, and for crying out loud we're talking about 5 Baht. If you take a bus 4 times a day, that's 600 baht in a month. Less than any 1 taxi ride in my home country.

Have fun

onzestan

I think most any Asian that could pass for Thai would be allowed the lower price. Obviously, that would include many Chinese, Malays, Filipinos, Indonesians, Cambodians, Burmese, Viets, etc. Sorry, nice try, but no cigar. This is the kind of racism where your own race is given preference over all other races.

You really cannot successfully argue that this is not discrimination based on race. Its in your face every day to see!

The fact that it is small money (and BTW it is not always small money, see how they rip people off for charter fares) doesn't change the fact about what is going on and how it is based on race.

Edited by Jingthing

Ok, you've forced me to do it!

A mate of my'n is a caucasian. He was born in Thailand & therefore holds a Thai passport. He also speaks Thai fluently - just like a Thai national. He also spent 20 or so years living in the US but is now living here in Thailand. He has informed me that he even gets treated like farang (charged exorbitant prices) until he shows his Thai passport. Mind you, most of the time he gets away with it because the locals can pick on up the fact that he speaks Thai, like a Thai.

So, there you go. It is racial discrimination mixed with an equally dreadful thing called nationalism. These attitudes are certainly opposite to Buddhist teachings...or is it part of that wonderful 'program' called 'Thai Culture'?

These attitudes do not foster peace & harmony & generally have the effect of removing smiles from the faces of people who live in the Land Of Smiles. What a bloody contradiction!

I pointed this out before. Thais who appear farang are treated to the same kind of racism. Another proof of the obvious point, this is indeed racism.

I think most any Asian that could pass for Thai would be allowed the lower price. Obviously, that would include many Chinese, Malays, Filipinos, Indonesians, Cambodians, Burmese, Viets, etc. Sorry, nice try, but no cigar. This is the kind of racism where your own race is given preference over all other races.

Proves my point exactly, if they look Thai they get Thai pricing.

cheers

onzestan

Jingthing, I have to disagree with you on this point. Each asian ethnic group is as different from each other as any ethnic group in Europe. Slavic versus Spaniard versus Anglo for example.

I can spot the difference miles away & the Asians are obviously much more practiced at it than me.

So as far as a baht bus driver mistaking a Japanese or Kymer person for a Thai, not much chance of that happening.

Soundman.

At my school, it is quite common to hear someone being belittled by another, saying that they are from Isaan. Also, there is a Thai 'thing' (for want of a better word) that if you place your index finger along the ridge of your nose, so that the tip of your finger touches your forehead and if you can put any other finger between the gap that is between the top of your nose & the end of your finger (between the eyes), you are from Isaan or you are Lao & it is not good.

These remarks are generally intended to be derogatory & even the Thai teachers join in the 'fun'.

This, of course, is generally innocent 'taking the piss' out of someone but I think there is an underlying racist slur, which could conceivably lead to much more active discrimination in other situations.

EDIT:

For some strange reason, some Thais seem to see themselves as a superior race amongst asian races, much like some farang seem to think that they are a from a superior race.

Edited by elkangorito

I normally stick up for the baht bus drivers, BUT, I am about to reverse my position. I always pay 20 baht between Jomtien and Pattaya and 10 baht within Jomtien or Pattaya. The last time I was in Jomtien, I was standing on soi 5. I wanted to go to soi 9 which is about a kilometer in distance. A baht bus stopped and asked where I was going. I told him soi 9. He told me 50 baht. I frowned and waved him on. Another one came along and before I could even climb in he asked me how much I would pay him. I told him 10 baht. The a$$hole made a U turn and headed for Pattaya. That's the first time in many years that I have had problems and was angry enough to walk that kilometer. This is just pure greed. Two baht buses, one after the other tried to rip off the farang.

I normally stick up for the baht bus drivers, BUT, I am about to reverse my position. I always pay 20 baht between Jomtien and Pattaya and 10 baht within Jomtien or Pattaya. The last time I was in Jomtien, I was standing on soi 5. I wanted to go to soi 9 which is about a kilometer in distance. A baht bus stopped and asked where I was going. I told him soi 9. He told me 50 baht. I frowned and waved him on. Another one came along and before I could even climb in he asked me how much I would pay him. I told him 10 baht. The a$$hole made a U turn and headed for Pattaya. That's the first time in many years that I have had problems and was angry enough to walk that kilometer. This is just pure greed. Two baht buses, one after the other tried to rip off the farang.

So you mean that if you were Thai they would have happily picked you up and taken you to your destination for 5 Baht :o

Been there too Gary :o

I've caught a bus at Soi 4 (or thereabouts) & wanted to go to my mates restaurant close to the end of Beach Rd. As the bus approaches Soi 19 or so, the driver slows to a stop, gets out & asks me where I want to go. I tell him (it's only about another 1 km) & he tells me 20+ Baht, at which point I get off & walk. He then proceeds on in the direction I wish to go. Only once did a Baht Bus driver take me all the way WITHOUT charging me idiot inflated prices. He was an older gentleman & he was VERY happy to be of assistance to me. I gave him 20 Baht for being a decent bloke.

If only all the other greedy pigs could realise that a little bit of service goes a long way, they could actually make more money. It appears as though their brains are in their <deleted>.

For some strange reason, some Thais seem to see themselves as a superior race amongst asian races, much like some farang seem to think that they are a from a superior race.

Actually, ALL of the different countries in this area consider themselves to be above the rest and they all look down on each other. Thais have no patent on this type of thinking. :o

Egads!!!

You are kind of missing my point. The baht bus drivers make a SNAP decision based on your RACIAL appearance. Now as you might know there are many Chinese Thais. They are the same racially as Chinese, yet they are 100 percent Thai. You don't think a Chinese from China or America can look exactly like a Chinese Thai? Of course they can. And Lao people are pretty much the same race as Isaan people, yes? And Southern Thai Muslim people are the same racially as Malays from Malaysia and Singapore, yes? And Indian Thais are the same racially as Indians from India, yes? I know an Indonesian guy who gets taken for Thai almost every time. This typing of people based on their race is a messy business, and totally unnecessary and undesirable as well. The same treatment for all races is the better way.

Another wrinkle, I don't know and you don't know exactly what goes through the whisky-ridden "brains" of the baht bus drivers. Maybe they want to also favor other Asians who are not Thais, maybe they don't. This racism policy isn't exactly written down anywhere, now is it?

Edited by Maestro
Deleted multiple nested quotes. No need to quote alengthy series of posts - Maestro

BECAUSE YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY MORE...

It is racism to see all of these things based on your skin color, and then treat you DIFFERENTLY based on your skin color. One of the primary definitions of racism is different treatment based on race. I have proved my case. Case closed.

Your logic if flawed.

Just because something COULD be due to racism doesn't mean it is. In this case, it has nothing to do with it.

These bus drivers are not stupid. If they charged everyone 5 baht, they'd lose too much income, and if they charged all Thais 10 baht, they'd lose a lot of business.

I'd be doing exactly the same if it was my business and any business which is not regulated properly will end up going the same way...in any country.

It would appear that your logic has a few cracks. The baht buses are regulated. There is a fare system that clearly states the fare in Thai. There is no fare for Farang and no fare specifically for Thais, there is one fare.

The regular fare for a normal ride is 5 baht. Go beyond the normal distance and it is ... guess what ... another 5 baht. That is the regulation.

What part of this don't you understand?

If the fare is not based on racism as you say, why do they want to charge Thai companions of Farang double the price?

I rode the baht bus in Jomtien with my wife. When the short ride was over the driver demanded 20 baht, 10 for her and 10 for me. I told this piece of excrement that I was paying the normal fare of 5 baht only - 5 baht thai - 5 baht farang -

His response was to accept 5 baht for my wife and 10 baht for me.

Go back to school.

There is only one flaw in your argument. You are wrong!!

The only regulation regarding the fare is that the maximum fare on a regular route is 10Baht. What the drivers charge for individual passengers is completely up to them.

To think they charge you higher because of racism is ridiculous, they charge you what they think they can get away with. If Thai's were generally more affluent than farangs in Pattaya they would be the one paying 10 Baht, the BB driver could not care less what race you are, if they think they can make an extra few Bath they go for it, without any regard of race.

Some of you are confused.

We cannot ever know the thought process of the baht bus drivers. And give them their due, there must be hundreds of these charming tourism ambassadors. How could they all think alike, but they do almost all ACT ALIKE!

We can only objectively observe their actions.

Usually, Thai people or people who can pass as Thai people are treated one way, and most all other people are treated another way. This is racial discrimination in action, people being treated a different way based on race. This meets a primary definition of racism. Deal with it.

Even if you do entertain theories as to what is going on in the charming heads of these racist mafioso and you are sure they do this because they think all people who are not Thai are richer than Thai, well, that is racist too!

Thats a classic stereotyping of people based on race.

If you are arguing that those of us who are richer should always pay double or more for goods and services, I think you are ###### commie!

Edited by Jingthing

Some of you will probably disagree, but i give 10 baht and dont give a shit about whether its right or not, these guys dont earn a lot and we ( most of us should be ) are better off than them by a long way,if you are quibbling over 5 baht i think you have become whats locally known as a cheap charley,.

Couldnt agree more, some farang are tighter than the thais !,,if i had to worry about 5 baht i think id seriously reconsider my being here,

I would have to agree if you can't afford 5 baht, you can't afford to be in Thailand, or really anywhere on earth.

But thats not what I have been arguing about, 5 baht. I have been talking about racism in action.

Some of you think this is OK and dandy. What if the Bangkok taxi meters had two rate systems, with it being double for you? Would that bother you considering the determination was based on your race? Maybe you are richer, so what if all goods in department stores were double for you? Would that bother you considering the determination was based on your race?

BTW, I am sure there are some pensioners in Pattaya who are bothered by all these extra 5 baht charges. You say, go back to farangland, but they would be even worse off there, so thats not very compassionate of you. Also consider that each ride is double charged and it is not uncommon to need three baht buses to get to one destination, so going there round trip would be six times you are double charged just for one excursion.

Edited by Jingthing

Put on your glasses next time you're out in Pattaya. The baht buses have many regulated signs stuck on the glass - one says the regular fare is not more than 10 baht. The other is a fare table.

Go ahead, ignore the table if you wish, but it clearly says the fare is 5 baht.