Growing Tulips In Chiang Mai

My uncle-in-law is a great gardener and has a fantastic garden with 189222117345 varieties of plants in it (only slight exaggeration).

When I was over for dinner last time he asked if I could bring some tulips for him to try to grow. I said I am not sure if they will make it in this climate.

So my question is, does somebody have experience with growing tulips here in Thailand? Any general pointers?

I know that the Royal Flora Exhibition here in Chiang Mai has problems with their tulips because of the heat.

Would there be any types of tulips that are better adjusted to a warmer climate? Maybe the Dutch brought some species to South Africa that would work here?

Thanks in advance for your input. :o

I suspect the climate at the lower altitudes of Chiangmai could be an issue. I found a reference to Chiang Rai farmers growing them but believe at the higher elevations.

"Thais visit Doi Pha Mon Highland Agricultural Extension Center for its show garden of tulips, lilies, gladioli, and other cold-climate flowers. Farmers in the area grow potted tulips, roses, and ornamental plants for Chiangrai markets." Source: TAT

I believe New Zealand has species that grow in warmer climates, though not sure if they are GM types. A little more information > ScienceDaily

He could refrigerate the bulbs but would then have to dig them up when dormant and refrigerate again.

Forcing Tulips Indoors

For those who can never get enough of tulips or can't wait until they spring up naturally in the garden, they can be forced indoors. To "force" a bulb means to create an environment where the bulb grows when it naturally wouldn't. By following these steps, you can buy tulip bulbs when they're available in fall and force them to bloom for the holidays or any time during the winter.

Tools and Materials

Clay or plastic pots

Soilless potting mix

Tulip bulbs

Hose or watering can

Choose the right varieties

In general, shorter-growing varieties such as the species Tulipa humilis (or the very similar T. puchella) are the easiest to force indoors. But 'Apricot Beauty' is a good example of a taller variety that forces well. Select large, firm bulbs, avoiding soft smaller-sized ones, and store them in a cool place until you're ready to force them.

Plant at the right time

You can start forcing tulips in October for blooms by Christmas, or later in fall for blooms by midwinter. Generally, tulips need at least 12 to 16 weeks to bloom if started in September or October, but only 8 to 10 weeks if started in December.

Tulips grow best in clay pots, which dry out faster than plastic pots. Choose a deeper pot for tall varieties, a shallower one for shorter kinds. Be sure the pots have drainage holes in the bottom. Partially fill the pot with moistened soilless potting mix.

Use as many bulbs as can fit in the pot without touching. The more in the pot, the more dramatic the flower show. Place the bulbs root end down so their tops sit just below the rim of the pot. Cover them with enough soil so that only the bulb noses are showing. Water well. Label with the variety and planting date.

Chill bulbs

Before tulips will sprout and produce flowers, they need a chilling period to simulate winter. Without this period, the bulbs won't grow or won't produce a good-quality flower. You can simulate winter by placing the potted bulbs at 32o to 50oF in a dark area such as an unheated garage or basement. A refrigerator crisper works well, but never put them next to fruits such as apples that emit ethylene, a gas that hinders flowering. In warm areas, you can even leave them outdoors as long as the temperature doesn't go below freezing or above 50oF. Just keep the pots moist. Depending on the variety and planting time, they'll need 8 to 16 weeks of chilling. Check the drainage holes for root development and look for bulb sprouts starting to grow as signs they've had enough chilling.

If you don't have room for all the planted pots, try placing the unplanted bulbs in a paper bag in the refrigerator crisper for six weeks (always without fruit in the refrigerator at the same time), then pot them and place them in a 55oF dark room for a month. Then bring them into a 65oF room to grow and flower.

Forcing bulbs to flower

Bring the chilled pots into a 50o to 65oF room with bright, indirect light for about two weeks. The warmer the temperature, the shorter the flowering stems and faster the bulbs will flower. When the bulb shoots are 2 inches tall, move the pots to a sunny 68oF location. They'll flower within a week or so. The cooler the temperatures (60oF is ideal at night), the longer the flowers will last.

Tips

Once tulips have finished flowering, you can throw them into the compost or cut back the flowering stem and let the leaves die back naturally.

To prevent the potting mix from leaching out the drainage hole when watering the container, place a piece of window screen in the base of the pot before adding the potting mix. This allows the water to drain but keeps the potting mix in the pot.

National Gardening Association

• 1 year later...

I found a link http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25835 which reports of tulips being grown in cangwat Ching Mai, on the flanks of doi suthep. in general tulips will NOT grown if the temperature is too high, so only when at mountains and or cooled places might tulip bloom. also close to bkk is a story of tulips ref: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tulip-Nearby...ok-t246156.html

good luck

• 1 month later...