Ripped Off By Emirates For 10k Baht

mickj88

i had same proplem with emerites about 3 year ago in manchester girl made me transfer from carry on luggage to main luggage matter of a few kilos then was not going to let me because no return ticket had to show here visa in passport she not even look at it just being pentatic never ever used agian use eithad 30 kilo allowance came back in july with 40 kilos not raised a eyebrow all the way to cnx superb airline and must be cheapest duty free of anywere

Agree about Etihad. 30kg allowance + 7 kilos for carry on and they allow you to take a laptop and a camera. Never had laptop or hand luggage weighed. I believe Etihad use their own staff at check in too.

I am currently looking at Emirates to fly with. If I fly with them I will save at least £40 each way on the flight, save £30 each way on rail travel and also save 7 hours on travelling each way as they fly from Newcastle airport now, so this topic is of definite interest to me.

i had same proplem with emerites about 3 year ago in manchester girl made me transfer from carry on luggage to main luggage matter of a few kilos then was not going to let me because no return ticket had to show here visa in passport she not even look at it just being pentatic never ever used agian use eithad 30 kilo allowance came back in july with 40 kilos not raised a eyebrow all the way to cnx superb airline and must be cheapest duty free of anywere

Agree about Etihad. 30kg allowance + 7 kilos for carry on and they allow you to take a laptop and a camera. Never had laptop or hand luggage weighed. I believe Etihad use their own staff at check in too.

I am currently looking at Emirates to fly with. If I fly with them I will save at least £40 each way on the flight, save £30 each way on rail travel and also save 7 hours on travelling each way as they fly from Newcastle airport now, so this topic is of definite interest to me.

Not sure that you'll really save 7 hours because of layovers.

The wife and I are flying Emirates BKK - DXB - NCL and return in October. We got a really good deal as we booked early and Newcastle is certainly convenient. The only small problem seems to be that on the return journey, NCL - DXB - BKK, there is something like an 8-hour layover in Dubai, in the middle of the night. Dubai airport is short on seating so we'll probably pay a bit to use the Marhaba lounge - free snacks and soft drinks but no alcohol, or so I am led to believe.

DM

My wife and I returned to the Uk on Saturday. We were due to fly at 1.25 am with Emerates and duly arrived at the airport 3 hours before in order to get our cases checked in and get a meal before flying.Al was going to plan untill we got to the check in desk.I was asked how many bags we were checking and replied 2 ( 1 each) , The guy checking pointed out that we had the weight limit in the 2 cases and then told my wife to put her hand luggage case on the scale as well. I told him that was carry on luggage but he insisted that she check her bag or he would not allow her to take it. The bag was not overly large and weighed exactly 7 Kgs ( the allowed weight for carry on bags) he then demanded that I go to the desk andf pay 10,000 baht as our luggage was 7 Kgs over. Both my wife and i protested but he was adamant that we had to pay.This meant tat we had 1,000 baht left for the 15 hour journey home.Once on the plane I saw at least 4 passengers with the same size carry case as my wifes, In fat on girl had the same case and a rucksack and a bloody guitar case but they let her carry them on. There was another Thai girl in the seat in front of my wife who also had the same size case and a rucksack and another small bag + 2 carrier bags.

I am going to email Emirates with a complaint and ask for my 10,000 Baht back I dont think it will get me any where but I will post here to let you all know when I get a reply.

I have flown many times with them in the past and never had any problems like this apart from the odd time when on a one way ticket when they nearly refused to fly me to Bangkok as they said I would be refused entry.

Before I flew this time I joined their frequent fliers club as we went to Hongkong first for a week and then on to LOS and I discovered that once you clock up 20,000 miles you can get upgrades and our trip gave my wife and I 19982 miles each, the thing is if I dont get a satisfactary answer as to why they made my wife check her carry on luggage and a full refund then I will not use them again.

From Munich to Bangkok last year the overweight charge was 180 euros. Did not have 180....ok, 120......did not have 120........ok, 100......did not have 100........ok, 80. I opened my walet and had 70 euros in bills and one in coin. The "nice lady" reached out and snatched the 70 but kindly left me with one euro to spend as I wished on my way home!

Well, that assured that the next trips I took were with Eva and friends have chosen others as well after hearing that little story.

I should complain.........nah........I read "Ali Baba and his Forty Thieves" long ago.....!!

I agree about Etihad last year we had 68kgs between 2 of us and the lady said it was ok.

I have sent emails to both customer affairs uk and general customer affairs now and still had no reply. I have been chasing round the phone numbers and have been given a uk number to try and will try tommorow if still no email reply.

Once before and indeed this time they were not going to let me fly in to thailand as I didnt physically have aticket only an e ticket and a hand written agenda. They also pulled my wife to one side and said that she had to stand in a seperate cue in Dubai as she didnt have a visa, I raised the point and proved that she had by producing her passport and pointing the visa out to th idiot who was checking people into the departure lounge. Obviously by this point I was close to blowing my top but managed to keep calm.

Once again I will post when \i get a response but at the moment I am not holding my breath.

When I flew economy with Etihad to the Middle East, I had 22kg on the way there and 27kg on the way back and was never even alerted of any extra kilos. Not sure if their limit is 20 or 30kg, though. I definitely had too much about 3 years ago on a JAL flight from Tokyo to Bangkok, 3 bags of 36-40kg each ....also economy. Got a weird look but no charge :o

But reading your story, you should definitely write the main office and follow-up with a phone call.

Edited by rainman

When I flew economy with Etihad to the Middle East, I had 22kg on the way there and 27kg on the way back and was never even alerted of any extra kilos. Not sure if their limit is 20 or 30kg, though. I definitely had too much about 3 years ago on a JAL flight from Tokyo to Bangkok, 3 bags of 36-40kg each ....also economy. Got a weird look but no charge :o

But reading your story, you should definitely write the main office and follow-up with a phone call.

Etihad bag allowance is 30kg

mick, you had an oversised hand luggage - that's why they told you to split it into two smaller luggages or put it together with the main luggage. If the supervisor in the airport did incestigate it and made a decision you don't have much chance. Still, in some cases, some airlines might at their discretion send you some voucher just to keep you sweet and happy, but it was your mistake.

sorry buts thats aload of BS , If that was the case then the girl in front of us would have to check her bag as well ,hers was the exact same bag as my wifes. Why was the ferang girl allowed to take the same bag on board as well as her guitar case that was more than twice the size of my wifes bag. All in all there must have been 5 or 6 bags at least that were the same size that people had carried on board

I will post when I get a reply from Emirates and should they not give me a refund then they can kiss my a55 I will never use them again, that will mean at least 5 return tickets alone for next year, I ill also do my best to peruade others to not use them .

Edited by mickj88

At the end of the day it's down to the agents discretion - just because someone else has a bag the same size as yours doesn't mean that you will get away with it too. Sometimes, just by checking in later can impact whether you get away with large or, heavy baggage. My hand lugagge is often quite large & heavy, I usually "get away with it" (failed once) however, I didn't & wouldn't become aggrieved if the agent thought otherwise.

I really don't see what your problem is? You also mention the time where they almost prevented you from travelling; Emirates would have been well within their rights preventing you from travelling on the one-way ticket but, you'd have probably complained about that too.

Judging by your postings I sense that you are probably the type who always complains in restaurants irrespective - hoping for something for free, which I sense is the case here & I have to admit, more often than not, it works.

Not sure that you'll really save 7 hours because of layovers.

The wife and I are flying Emirates BKK - DXB - NCL and return in October. We got a really good deal as we booked early and Newcastle is certainly convenient. The only small problem seems to be that on the return journey, NCL - DXB - BKK, there is something like an 8-hour layover in Dubai, in the middle of the night. Dubai airport is short on seating so we'll probably pay a bit to use the Marhaba lounge - free snacks and soft drinks but no alcohol, or so I am led to believe.

DM

To get to MAN airport for a 10 a.m. flight I have to leave home at 11 p.m. the night before to get the train (unless I can get a lifrt from a friend at 4 a.m).

To get to NCL airport I leave 8 a.m. for a 1 p.m.flight.

I can have roughly the same stopover time both ways in DXB. Granted on some flights you can lay over for 8 hours or so but that wouyld negate travelling from NCL.

Look at some of the itineries (But emirates site is screwed at the moment and showing NCL - BKK via Aukland!!!)

Why did you pay !0,000 baht instead of just grabbing a plastic bag from somewhere, you must either have cash to burn or are not real smart?

Weight limits - its simple, check whats stamped on your ticket because they vary.

Often when flying with airlines frequently they give you extra baggage allowance (i know this of Thai and viet anyway)

mick, you had an oversised hand luggage - that's why they told you to split it into two smaller luggages or put it together with the main luggage. If the supervisor in the airport did incestigate it and made a decision you don't have much chance. Still, in some cases, some airlines might at their discretion send you some voucher just to keep you sweet and happy, but it was your mistake.

Oversized hand luggage!!! I've heard the term but I've never ever seen one classified as such! Personally I always travel light in the hand luggage department but some of the sights of 'hand luggage' I've seen have been unbelieveable! One flight with Thai into Heathrow a two girls 'hand luggages' were so heavy they couldn't actually carry them more than 20 metres outside the ramp! One of the girls wait and the other went get a trolley! Strange hand luggage that!

When I was frequently flying I would regularly see people who needed someone help them pickup their hand luggage into the over heads - we are just talking women here! The previously described girls bags wouldn't actually fit in the overhead without her, her mate and a steward shoving at it - it took all 3 of them both to lift the bags up to the overheads!!

In my personal opinion I wish the airlines would be absolute <deleted> with hand luggage and enforce the limits rigourously. The number of times I've gone to my seat and found the overhead filled by two suitcases (no other way to describe them as they aren't classifiable as hand luggage!) is unreal. The biggest hand luggage I take is my camera bag which is design within the hand luggage size limits. Also a note of for 'hand suitcases' users - pick the ######ers up and walk them down the aisle down in front of you - not pull it behind you twatting all the people sitting in aisle seats on the way past!!! :o

If the OP says he had a 7Kg carry on which is within the weight limit and was within size limits - complain like a bastard. However if it was a 'hand suitcase' destined to consume half an overhead then I have no sympathy whatsoever. :D

Clayton in reply to your asumption ,I very rarely complain. My complaint is justified as the bag in question was not oversized nor was it over weight.Having spent over £1160 I expected better from the airline. The bag in question had flown from MAN to DBX to HKK and then to BKK as hand lugguge and no problem. So I am sorry for being agrieved at having to pay another £150 for no apparent reason.If you want to go through life being taken advantage of thats up to you but I feel I have every reason to complain and further more I dont want something for free I just want to know why I was charged for something that I should not have been charged for and am seeking a refund for the charge ,nothing more .

As for getting a carrier bag Good idea but there are no shops etc in the check in area as far as I know ( being my first time at suvamapoom airport) and if Emirates had such a thing you would think that they would of offered, but no they were only interested in the money.

Clayton in reply to your asumption ,I very rarely complain. My complaint is justified as the bag in question was not oversized nor was it over weight.Having spent over £1160 I expected better from the airline. The bag in question had flown from MAN to DBX to HKK and then to BKK as hand lugguge and no problem. So I am sorry for being agrieved at having to pay another £150 for no apparent reason.If you want to go through life being taken advantage of thats up to you but I feel I have every reason to complain and further more I dont want something for free I just want to know why I was charged for something that I should not have been charged for and am seeking a refund for the charge ,nothing more .

As for getting a carrier bag Good idea but there are no shops etc in the check in area as far as I know ( being my first time at suvamapoom airport) and if Emirates had such a thing you would think that they would of offered, but no they were only interested in the money.

Mick, only the agent at the check in desk knows why he decided to apply the excess. If you had an issue with this you should have asked to see the supervisor as an earlier poster suggested.

Why do you think I go through life being taken advantage of? I'll complain if it's justified. I know how heavy/large/quantity some people (on occasions, myself included) carry as hand luggage. An old trick of mine was leave to some of the heavier contents with a non-travelling relative, whilst I checked in, then I'd put them back in my hand baggage afterwards - worked everytime.

I now own a trolley case too :o however, if I was asked to check it in as hold bagage I could have no complaints.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

So clayton your previous post where you Quote " assumed from my posting that I am the sort of person who complains" is just BS your are obviously one of those people that I call "wind up merchant". I have only ever put this one post on , it is justified and you have said that you would have complained ,but because someone else has the problem and complains they are a whinger.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen to you or other members.In fact I hope everything in your life goes well because you won't have to complian and no one can make assumptions as to your character.

Edited by mickj88

So clayton your previous post where you Quote " assumed from my posting that I am the sort of person who complains" is just BS your are obviously one of those people that I call "wind up merchant". I have only ever put this one post on , it is justified and you have said that you would have complained ,but because someone else has the problem and complains they are a whinger.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen to you or other members.In fact I hope everything in your life goes well because you won't have to complian and no one can make assumptions as to your character.

When did I say I would have complained? I clearly state that if I had to check my heavy/large baggage in I would would have no complaints; I only complain if I feel I'm in the right - at an airline check-in desk I probably wouldn't be and I suspect neither were you, not that I could prove this, I only have your word and years of experience knowing and seeing people (myself included) who carry unacceptable amounts of hand baggage. More than likely, a "fair cop" by a pedantic agent; get over it & move on, life's too short. :o

Well I do have proof ,a reciept thats says extra weight of luggage 7Kg's as I said the weight allowed. I have a ticket reciept that staes total luggage weight 47Kgs .I would not be complaining otherwise, If you had read my posts properly like everyone else you may not have made assumptions as to the "sort of person" I am. And you said " I'll complain if it's justified" well you would feel justified I am sure.If I was not justified i wouldn't complain, and yes lifes too short ,you may be able to afford to give away £150 but I cannot its 2/3's of mt wages,hence my complaint.

Besides anything else that £150 goes a long way in Thailand and could put the ceiling in my mother-in-laws new bungalow.

Well I do have proof ,a reciept thats says extra weight of luggage 7Kg's as I said the weight allowed. I have a ticket reciept that staes total luggage weight 47Kgs .I would not be complaining otherwise, If you had read my posts properly like everyone else you may not have made assumptions as to the "sort of person" I am. And you said " I'll complain if it's justified" well you would feel justified I am sure.If I was not justified i wouldn't complain, and yes lifes too short ,you may be able to afford to give away £150 but I cannot its 2/3's of mt wages,hence my complaint.

Besides anything else that £150 goes a long way in Thailand and could put the ceiling in my mother-in-laws new bungalow.

What about size? Have you proof of that? Would the bag in question have fit into the size gauge? If not, then should the agent want to force the issue, there's not an awful lot that you can do. Out of curiosity, how large/heavy was your hand luggage? If I'd been in your situation & felt I had a genuine need to complain, I would have done so at the time to the supervisor. Indeed if the agent was in the wrong; he'd have probably backed down if you'd threatened to do this. Remember this for future reference - irrespective of the airline. Life is about education, we all learn new things every day, if you get nothing else from this, at least follow the good advice in future. :o

• 5 months later...

With being busy sorting out the building of our house near Kohsuankwang I forgot to post the final outcome.

I got a letter and an e-mail from emirates stating that the matter had been looked into and that we were told to pay as we were 14kgs over weight and that the matter as far as they were concerned was closed.Quite where this new figure came from I have no idea . So I had to write it off and just chalk it down to experience .

Since then I have been back to LOS and as I couldn't get flights without a 9 hour wait in the middle east or having to get to London or Amsterdam the only flight available was again with Emirates.

Now this time I weighed the luggage before we left for Manchester and we were in fact half a kilo over . got to MAN checked in and they also now weigh your hand luggage. This was 7 kgs bang on so no problems.

Upon returning I decided that we would check in later than usual to see if it had any difference. sure enough it did , I watched as they weighed all our luggage and once they put my carry on bag in total we had nearly 11 kgs over and nobody batted an eyelid . So it just goes to show that there is no set rule and it dependson the check in girl or possibly how late or early you check your bags.