Shenanighans:claims Pattaya Going Up Market And Girlie Bars No Good

R123

Well after seeing this thread I found myself with an hour or so to spare so I thought that I would visit the new Shenanigans.

Parking is very easy with ample parking spaces. Most of the outlets are still being completed and I noted some top market leader names amongst them.

An easy trip up the escalator took me to the first floor where the queue for the cinema was bigger than I have seen at any cinema complex in Pattaya.

I wandered over to the new Shenanigans which has tables set around the outside with quite a number taken.

Inside it was very impressive with quality furniture and fixtures and decor which still gave a good feel of a traditional pub. The new premises are much lighter than the old premises which were situated in a basement area across the road in the Royal garden complex.

The main bar area is very large with ample tables and comfortabe seating but also with quieter more private raised areas. The fixtures are impressive and the main bar area which I was drawn to is huge and designed in a horseshoe shape.

There is a second bar area which can be used for private functions and which will accomodate a games area when completed.

Having just opened I was quite surprised that it was as busy as it was with people sat around the bar as well as a number of people enjoying their meals.

I think that this place will be a winner...up market if you want to call it that....I found it very relaxing and enjoyed my beer and chat with the guys sat around the bar.

I would like to add that I have no financial interest whatsoever in these premises but just wanted to try it out and I was very pleased that I did. I will definitely be going back.

We are all different but this will keep me out,. "Inside it was very impressive with quality furniture and fixtures and decor which still gave a good feel of a traditional pub."

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the prices Shenanigans offers,I would rather look at the scantily clad 18-25 year old honeys at least the prices they ask you are getting something to smile about.

I think Shenanigans is for the 1st time web searchers when you first roll into Pattaya.

Besides I really doubt men from all foreign countries are coming to Pattaya to go to a upscale sports bar at bloated prices when you can get a 20-30 baht Thai meal & some cheap Hoy to go with it for the price of a beer & dinner!

Agreed, superior money for an inferior product ,.boring golfers/dart players and football talk do nothing for me, my eyes still work great and i like to feed them !

It sounds like the Shenanigans' boss is being rather judgmental and a little insulting when it comes to the city where he hope to run a successful business. I wonder if he'll park himself by the door of his establishment and decide who is "respectable" enough to enter?

I don't think I'll be giving Shenanigans anymore business.

Iwonder if he will have doormen that will say " im sorry sir ,you cant come in without a thai " ! :o

It sounds like the Shenanigans' boss is being rather judgmental and a little insulting when it comes to the city where he hope to run a successful business. I wonder if he'll park himself by the door of his establishment and decide who is "respectable" enough to enter?

I don't think I'll be giving Shenanigans anymore business.

Well could gather a group of ladies and well invade the place. :D

....and you would be greeted with open arms.

I don't understand what all this hysteria is all about, as I said on page 4 of this interminable thread. This interview has long been forgotten by everybody except the few people that keep posting, that seem to not like Shenanigans anyway. Yet here it remains still running after only 38 days following the opening post.

As I understand it, one of the owners was interviewed and this interview was shown on a LOCAL television channel. Since I am presently in Saudi, I know for a fact I have not seen this interview on BBC, CNN, Sky News, ABC, CBS, NBC or Al Jazeera, so exactly what detrimental effect has this had on local beer bars? Has even one beer bar closed down as a result of this interview? Has one tour bus changed their itinerary as a result of this interview. Has even one tourist changed his/her mind about Pattaya as a result of this interview.

I would venture a guess the interview has had no impact whatsoever.

In short, the only people that appear upset are the few on this forum that have made this a 7 page thread as opposed to the 4 or 5 posts it probably deserved.

As our learned writer of old, Willy Shakespeare would say....much ado about nothing. :o

I was there again this Afternoon.

The food was rather good.

Cheers

PS Pattaya would be a much nicer place without all the visitors, simple.

Unless the comment about "Pattaya being a nice place without all the visitors" was 'tongue in cheek' it's a pretty daft comment. If you want all the visitors to dissapear, maybe you will also be happy to see the prices escalate due to the shortfall in cash ???

A bar in Pattaya is like a whore. Thousands of them and if you don't like what you see then choose a better/ pricier/cheaper/bigger/smaller one. But to be offended? why bother, you guys are blessed with choice whether its a bottle of Chang at 35bht or a pint of guinness at 160. I lived in cozy beach and moved back to Bkk and visit the Irish pubs occasionally and some expats simply cant tolerate Thai food or Chang beer and that's what is sensational about Los, something for everyone!

I was there again this Afternoon.

The food was rather good.

Cheers

PS Pattaya would be a much nicer place without all the visitors, simple.

Unless the comment about "Pattaya being a nice place without all the visitors" was 'tongue in cheek' it's a pretty daft comment. If you want all the visitors to dissapear, maybe you will also be happy to see the prices escalate due to the shortfall in cash ???

It was, in response to another daft post.

Ermmmm, yes I'd pay more.

CHEERS

• 1 month later...

I wandered in to the new Shenanigans during my recent trip to Pattaya this month. This was my first visit to their new location.

By way of explanation, I have enjoyed the old Shenanigans, even when Fletcher was there, as I have been friends with some of the partners for years. By way of further explanation, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL INTEREST WHATSOEVER IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT.

Having cleared the air with the above statement, I was impressed with the new place. It would appear to be a better location than previously, the hired help was friendly and welcoming, the decor was comfortable and it seemed much more spacious and more open than their previous location. We sampled their carvery and were impressed with the food.

I was informed their business has increased substantially and they are expecting good things in the future. After a walk around the mall, I can see why they might be optimistic for the future when the mall is full and more shops are opened.

Methinks the report of the demise of Shenanigans has been greatly exaggerated.

I have recently seen one of the of bosses of this "pub" being interviewed on a local tv station.

He was derogatory of what he calls "girlie bars" and he claims they will soon be a thing of the past, what with Pattaya going "up market" etc.

Does anyone else find this offensive?

Here we have an establishment selling alcohol(some would say poison) causing untold health and social problems, who runs down girl bars and yet without such places in Pattaya his business would be nothing.

What do others think?

Talking out of his arse most likely. :o

Who is this guy and what does he know about the future? So he runs a bar in a nice mall. Big deal! Just another fool who thinks he know everything.

For a business owner to be interviewed it simply means he paid for it, directly or indirectly. Now, he had spent his money and had to say something else than just come to my place and spent money. So the smart man tried to brand his place as upscale and already of the future that is to be. He spoke about his hopes of getting a bit a larger cut out of the market than he does now. Having antagonized enough people, I figure his interview was not money well spent. He branded his place not as upscale but up the....

Now now... I'm sure Pattaya could use some more upscale places, not because I'd visit them but because I'd be looked upon with less suspicion holidaying in Pattaya.

And honestly the current Beach Road - Second road area IS going up-market, no doubt about it. It's a free economy. Walking Street will probably remain, and the rest is off to Soi Bua Khao or beyond.

For a business owner to be interviewed it simply means he paid for it, directly or indirectly. Now, he had spent his money and had to say something else than just come to my place and spent money. So the smart man tried to brand his place as upscale and already of the future that is to be. He spoke about his hopes of getting a bit a larger cut out of the market than he does now. Having antagonized enough people, I figure his interview was not money well spent. He branded his place not as upscale but up the....

I suspect the owner is doing good enough to make a lot of money. I was in there at the weekend and the tables were full. Probably 80-120 people mostly eating. Nice business if you can get it and I dont begrudge spending my 395 for the carvery - best value for money with quality product in my eyes.

And the funny thing is, that there were zero cheapskates in there moaning about prices.

you might have an argument if you said Amsterdam or Bangkok was not renowned for sex tourism but pattaya post small fishing village has always been so........thats why its so popular ........and then along come the Newbies with their "Quality tourist" vision........what surprises me is that for the past 40 years pattaya's reputation has been well known but these people still set up business right in the middle of sin city!!! do they expect us to beleive they are genuine!!

It is ... indeed.

Cosmopolitan Pattaya, love it or love it.

Next step: Bangkok style taxi meters!

Jingthing you are my soulmate on the taxi meter thing! Don't give up. I might even move from Bangkok to my condo in Jomtien if taxis ever materialize there.

you might have an argument if you said Amsterdam or Bangkok was not renowned for sex tourism but pattaya post small fishing village has always been so........thats why its so popular ........and then along come the Newbies with their "Quality tourist" vision........what surprises me is that for the past 40 years pattaya's reputation has been well known but these people still set up business right in the middle of sin city!!! do they expect us to beleive they are genuine!!

These folks opened their first place, under another name, on Thanon Convent in Bangkok. Their location was within 300 meters of Patpong.

They weren't naive then, nor are they naive now. Believe me, they know what goes on in Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

These folks opened their first place, under another name, on Thanon Convent in Bangkok. Their location was within 300 meters of Patpong.

They weren't naive then, nor are they naive now. Believe me, they know what goes on in Pattaya.

You guys amuse me - fiddling while Pattaya burns. Of course it is going upmarket, and thank goodness. International press reports (three times in a month) of slimy paedophiles raping kids is not stuff any city can be proud of.

Plenty of great places in Pattaya offering great food and drink at half shinannigans outragious prices. Gave it another go last week and found it overpriced and the food JUST ok. We love Pattaya for its great valued eating and drinking and of course all the other entertainment. Shennanigans is a RIP OFF.

Plenty of great places in Pattaya offering great food and drink at half shinannigans outragious prices. Gave it another go last week and found it overpriced and the food JUST ok. We love Pattaya for its great valued eating and drinking and of course all the other entertainment. Shennanigans is a RIP OFF.

you are crazy dave and i claim my five pounds

Guess it would be hard to survive without asking those prices. Things like recuperating initial investment (quite substantial I would think) and covering overhead (rent of several 100 K Baht) spring to mind.

Expecting a place like that to serve food and drinks at the same price level of a Soi Buakhao eatery indicates a poor sense of accounting, and if the blokes of Shennanigans decide to invest in a place like that AND be able to fill it up, they must be doing something right... That's the way business works!

I really don't see a reason to try to break the place down, unless maybe one is have a place opposite of them devoid of customers :o

well....as a "local businessman" - after spending the day hard at work setting up my "upscale" tourist trap there's nothing I enjoy more than jumping in my Vigo and heading for my 5 b/r villa on the other side of SKV rd - oh yes and popping into Soi 6 on they way to give some young lady a damned good rogering........pity my "upscale" business will put and end to all that.....or will it??????

PS - what the f*** is "upscale"? - sounds like an aquatic disease.

Edited by wilko

well....as a "local businessman" - after spending the day hard at work setting up my "upscale" tourist trap there's nothing I enjoy more than jumping in my Vigo and heading for my 5 b/r villa on the other side of SKV rd - oh yes and popping into Soi 6 on they way to give some young lady a damned good rogering........pity my "upscale" business will put and end to all that.....or will it??????

PS - what the f*** is "upscale"? - sounds like an aquatic disease.

It's the stuff you find in your kettle spout.