Shenanighans:claims Pattaya Going Up Market And Girlie Bars No Good

R123

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently seen one of the of bosses of this "pub" being interviewed on a local tv station.

He was derogatory of what he calls "girlie bars" and he claims they will soon be a thing of the past, what with Pattaya going "up market" etc.

Does anyone else find this offensive?

Here we have an establishment selling alcohol(some would say poison) causing untold health and social problems, who runs down girl bars and yet without such places in Pattaya his business would be nothing.

What do others think?

I was in Shenanighans today and itz very nice and itz seem to be pattaya is more up market now.

I am sure itz not the end of the girlies bar. Dont u think so?

TigerLily

I have recently seen one of the of bosses of this "pub" being interviewed on a local tv station.

He was derogatory of what he calls "girlie bars" and he claims they will soon be a thing of the past, what with Pattaya going "up market" etc.

Here we have an establishment selling alcohol(some would say poison) causing untold health and social problems, who runs down girl bars and yet without such places in Pattaya his business would be nothing.

What do others think?

Without the girlie bars Pattaya's tourist numbers would fall. :o

I meant the families. Especially the Muslim women look totally shocked when they pass by the toothless sluts on the beach.

Interesting you should say that. You should see the shock (fright) my GF gets whenever she sees a fully veiled Arab Muslim.

Edited by tropo

I didn't see the interview so can't comment on the derogitoriness of it. However, I agree that downtown Pattaya will change (is already changing) and the girlie bars - and boy bars - will disappear from downtown Pattaya to a nice walled Sin City in the boonies. We might get nice spaces in the upcoming 5 star hotels where well dressed beautiful girls and boys will be allowed to sit and pick up customers - like in Singapore. But, of course, that is legal in Sigapore but still illegal here.

I'm sorry, but somehow in the 30 years I've been coming to Pattaya I somehow missed "downtown". Exactly where is it anyway? What with the increase in traffic can you still drive there? Will I know it when I see it? Is it on one of the major sois? Or all 3? Can I buy what you're using there? And.......derogitoriness......nice word.

I didn't see the interview so can't comment on the derogitoriness of it. However, I agree that downtown Pattaya will change (is already changing) and the girlie bars - and boy bars - will disappear from downtown Pattaya to a nice walled Sin City in the boonies. We might get nice spaces in the upcoming 5 star hotels where well dressed beautiful girls and boys will be allowed to sit and pick up customers - like in Singapore. But, of course, that is legal in Sigapore but still illegal here.

I'm sorry, but somehow in the 30 years I've been coming to Pattaya I somehow missed "downtown". Exactly where is it anyway? What with the increase in traffic can you still drive there? Will I know it when I see it? Is it on one of the major sois? Or all 3? Can I buy what you're using there? And.......derogitoriness......nice word.

I haven't been going to Pattaya for 30 years, but yesterday it had at least 7 major roads.

Sai Nueng , Song and Sarm

Pataya Nua , Klang and Tai

Not to forget good old Sukhumvit.

There is a good case for other roads to be called major as well such as Soi Buacow and Soi Siam CC.

Cheers

PS And.......derogitoriness......nice word. I agree.

If the President of the USA can do that to words, so can I.

I love it when one of these threads appears because usually out of the woodwork crawls all the "move 'em to the boonies" brigade. They've been talking about cleaning Pattaya up since I first went theren '92, and probably long long before that. The only change I've seen is more beer bars than ever before. When I lived in Siri Apartments (opposite the old immi office off soi 8) soi 7 had no beer bars at all, now it's wall to wall bars and that's repeated all over town.

Two weeks back when I was last in town a mate persuaded me to meet up in the new Shenanigans. I have to admit it was very nice, very upmarket and very empty. I'll not be going back, why the hel_l anyone would want to travel to Thailand and drink in an Irish style boozer beats me. Like another poster said it's just like an English pub with cliques of boring old farts waffling on about golf.

Pattaya's big enough to accommodate all types of establishments but in terms of survival I'd back the low cost beer bars against the Shenanigans any day.

Well Shenanigans has survived for 10 years already, you cant say that about too many beer bars.

The old bar was in a crap location, downstairs in a basement which you could not see from the road, since the Marriott put up the wall infront of it after the Jakarta bombing. The new location is a vast improvement, and when the mall is fully up and running I think Shenanigans will clean up.

Simon the manager did a number of interviews on tv, but the interview that the OP is talking about was done with the majority shareholder who lives in England. You can take his comments with a pinch of salt. But if anyone thinks that Pattaya is not changing, is just kidding themselves. Yes there will always be an abundance of nighlife for us mongers, but there will also be alot more alternatives. 6 years ago the only fine dining establishments outside the major hotels, was Bruno's and Mata Hari, now they are springing up everywhere.

But for all the new malls, hotels and condo's being built, as we all know the basic infrastucture is just crap - same as it was a decade ago. I have lost count of the number of times beach road has been dug up, in the 10 years I have been here. They seem to start but never finish any of these road projects. As I understand the new Big C which is under construction in Central Pattaya, will run a new power cable down from Sukhmvit so I guess Pattaya Klang will be dug up yet again.

As for the OP saying that he was offended by these comments, I can only guess that he must be very sensitive!!!

Cheers

I haven't been going to Pattaya for 30 years, but yesterday it had at least 7 major roads.

Sai Nueng , Song and Sarm

Pataya Nua , Klang and Tai

Not to forget good old Sukhumvit.

There is a good case for other roads to be called major as well such as Soi Buacow and Soi Siam CC.

Cheers

PS And.......derogitoriness......nice word. I agree.

OK, I concede, more than 3 major roads, but I still don't know where "downtown" is. Your nitpickenishing not withstanding.

What do others think?

I was in Shenanighans today and itz very nice and itz seem to be pattaya is more up market now.

I am sure itz not the end of the girlies bar. Dont u think so?

TigerLily

Pattaya up marker??

You obviously do not get out much

I love Pattaya for what is - not been since August 2006 but let me assure you it will never be upmarket

If you are ever on Singapore on a visa run give me a shout - we will go upmarket fr a drink as you can in Bangkok and many other places but Pattaya where?

What has Pattaya got going for it?

Poor beach - dirty beach.

Some decent hotels, but I would think the only return customers are the bachelors.

If there were no girlie bars there would be no Pattaya - it would be back to the place I first visited in the Seventies, or even less.

Shenanigans would be closed - lack of custom.

It could very well close in it's new location for the same reason. Poor business decision by someone who has been lucky with location previously.

Remember in the pub business location is everything.

What ae you talking about? People from all over the world go to Pattaya to visit Shenanigan's. I know that's why I go to Pattaya, just ask my girl firend. :o

Well after seeing this thread I found myself with an hour or so to spare so I thought that I would visit the new Shenanigans.

Parking is very easy with ample parking spaces. Most of the outlets are still being completed and I noted some top market leader names amongst them.

An easy trip up the escalator took me to the first floor where the queue for the cinema was bigger than I have seen at any cinema complex in Pattaya.

I wandered over to the new Shenanigans which has tables set around the outside with quite a number taken.

Inside it was very impressive with quality furniture and fixtures and decor which still gave a good feel of a traditional pub. The new premises are much lighter than the old premises which were situated in a basement area across the road in the Royal garden complex.

The main bar area is very large with ample tables and comfortabe seating but also with quieter more private raised areas. The fixtures are impressive and the main bar area which I was drawn to is huge and designed in a horseshoe shape.

There is a second bar area which can be used for private functions and which will accomodate a games area when completed.

Having just opened I was quite surprised that it was as busy as it was with people sat around the bar as well as a number of people enjoying their meals.

I think that this place will be a winner...up market if you want to call it that....I found it very relaxing and enjoyed my beer and chat with the guys sat around the bar.

I would like to add that I have no financial interest whatsoever in these premises but just wanted to try it out and I was very pleased that I did. I will definitely be going back.

Why I said it was a crap location is because loads of residents won't go there and its likely to appeal to the higher spending tourists anyway. Sure they'll get more trade than the old place but what about the rent ? But with the cinema as a mega attraction and bowling if it is still going in there then I see them doing well, just not much of a place for the expat to visit.

They should improve their carvery as well as the old one was great in volume but low on quality despite being fairly highly priced.

Why I said it was a crap location is because loads of residents won't go there and its likely to appeal to the higher spending tourists anyway. Sure they'll get more trade than the old place but what about the rent ? But with the cinema as a mega attraction and bowling if it is still going in there then I see them doing well, just not much of a place for the expat to visit.

They should improve their carvery as well as the old one was great in volume but low on quality despite being fairly highly priced.

Regardless of the location loads of residents would'nt go there.

I you think they will do well we agree on that and I guess that makes it a good location.

I'm an expat and I like it.

Cheers

I'm of the opinion that Pattaya is just fine the way it is. There is something for everyone. I pretty much avoid Shenanigans and some of the overpriced Go Go bars for the simple reason that they ARE overpriced. I resent being charged like a tourist and know better than to pay their inflated prices.

Total rip off, AVOID the place. Its trying to change the resort we know and where our pennies go so far into another western state. Plenty of great and cheep places here guys, Magie Mays 150 bht a pint of Guiness, ###### shinannigans !!!!!!!!!!!

Even 150 is a rip. A beer on Soi 7 is 35 baht

Reality tonight (as I have jusy gotten back from having a meal at the carvery) was the place was packed - not a free table in the place (of course some of that was due to rugby), but that was one seriously busy pub. Every other bar I drove past on the way home was totally empty. Kinda speaks for itself. Premium products will always do well so long as they deliver on quality and the average customer of that bar is not going to be too bothered if his preferred drink is a bit more expensive - if your concerned, dont go there.

Shenanawhatever died yonks ago when the old manager moved to Jamiesons and took all the custom with him. Old location OK new location OK but over priced. Nothing wrong with paying more than the average if quality matches but not so OVER priced.

Will do little buisnes and be gone soon.

Who cares what he says?

At the prices Shenanigans offers,I would rather look at the scantily clad 18-25 year old honeys at least the prices they ask you are getting something to smile about.

I think Shenanigans is for the 1st time web searchers when you first roll into Pattaya.

Besides I really doubt men from all foreign countries are coming to Pattaya to go to a upscale sports bar at bloated prices when you can get a 20-30 baht Thai meal & some cheap Hoy to go with it for the price of a beer & dinner!

I love the idea that the manager(?) of a bar called "Shenanigans" is suggesting that in the future there will be no "shenanigans" in Pattaya - well at 160 for a glass of wine that might be a real possibility.

I also love Tmmi's idea that prostitution is OK so long as they are "well dressed" - does that mean we'll have a fashion police force?

Shenanawhatever died yonks ago when the old manager moved to Jamiesons and took all the custom with him. Old location OK new location OK but over priced. Nothing wrong with paying more than the average if quality matches but not so OVER priced.

Will do little buisnes and be gone soon.

Who cares what he says?

Oh dear a Kim lover reared his ugly head.

So am I too understand that getting to soi no where, where the new Jamiesons is located is easier? No not for the locals or tourisits alike. Are the prices any better? No again.

Lets see in 5 years who is still going strong. As one poster rightly said, location, location, location.