Shenanighans:claims Pattaya Going Up Market And Girlie Bars No Good

R123

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once novelty factor wears off - I'd wager it won't do much business. :o

How would you quantify this? If you have a good formular I would venture to entertain you.

For starters don't have a pub in a sterile mall, and an even better idea is to have good prices. However I think the plot is lost.

I'll have a look just to properly say I've done so before I whinge about it some more. :D

Once novelty factor wears off - I'd wager it won't do much business. :o

How would you quantify this? If you have a good formular I would venture to entertain you.

For starters don't have a pub in a sterile mall, and an even better idea is to have good prices. However I think the plot is lost.

I'll have a look just to properly say I've done so before I whinge about it some more. :D

There you go. You alone just proved the market theory I had. As to location, remember your old adage 'this is Thailand', so why would it not work.

Shenanawhatever died yonks ago when the old manager moved to Jamiesons and took all the custom with him. Old location OK new location OK but over priced. Nothing wrong with paying more than the average if quality matches but not so OVER priced.

Will do little buisnes and be gone soon.

Who cares what he says?

You are kidding right :o Kim leaving Shenanigans was a bad move on his part. He was on a very cushy number there, but left as he got offered a big percentage in Jamiesons. Talk about bad location, unless you are an expat with transport why would anyone go to Soi AR to get to Jamiesons. I lived at Nova Park which Jamiesons is attached to for 2 years, and everytime I went in the bar it was virtually empty. As for taking all the custom from Shenanigans, yes the "Pattaya Panthers" moved with Kim, along with all the cronies at Pattayamail who have to give him or his bar a mention every week in their newspaper.

Shenanigans is not everyones cup of tea, but it will there for a long time to come.

Cheers

Shennanigans has never impressed me.

Then again I dont like stodgy British food and don't drink pints of ale or guiness.

The point of going to Pattaya is for the sleaze and the difference.

It is just another Irish bar that is replicated all over the world.

When i want something different from the beer bar scene in Pattaya i much prefer Gulivers as it has much better food service and amenities.

The whole attraction of Pattaya is the sleaze factor.

Take away the sleaze and you take away the appeal.

Disagree with the sleaze factor, but different reasons for everyone.... I personally like being near the water/beach. Tis a beach resort after all and I like to stick to that sort of environment when having a few drinks. Open Air and outdoors for the most part. If I want a pub atmosphere, franky I'd go back to blighty for that.

What they doing with the old location????

Well Shenanigans has survived for 10 years already, you cant say that about too many beer bars.

The old bar was in a crap location, downstairs in a basement which you could not see from the road, since the Marriott put up the wall infront of it after the Jakarta bombing. The new location is a vast improvement, and when the mall is fully up and running I think Shenanigans will clean up.

Simon the manager did a number of interviews on tv, but the interview that the OP is talking about was done with the majority shareholder who lives in England. You can take his comments with a pinch of salt. But if anyone thinks that Pattaya is not changing, is just kidding themselves. Yes there will always be an abundance of nighlife for us mongers, but there will also be alot more alternatives. 6 years ago the only fine dining establishments outside the major hotels, was Bruno's and Mata Hari, now they are springing up everywhere.

But for all the new malls, hotels and condo's being built, as we all know the basic infrastucture is just crap - same as it was a decade ago. I have lost count of the number of times beach road has been dug up, in the 10 years I have been here. They seem to start but never finish any of these road projects. As I understand the new Big C which is under construction in Central Pattaya, will run a new power cable down from Sukhmvit so I guess Pattaya Klang will be dug up yet again.

As for the OP saying that he was offended by these comments, I can only guess that he must be very sensitive!!!

Cheers

A couple of my Aussie mates have been running Jan Bar (now called Roo Bar) on Walking street for over 20 years and are still going strong. Seems to me if you are visiting Pattaya for the party/nightlife scene you would avoid places like Shenanigans like the plague, there is nothing there to interest the run of the mill western male tourist. As for the bus loads of Indian/Chinese/Taiwanese tourists, I always find it quite amusing to watch them being herded along walking street for the five minute gawk at the Russian Dancer in the window before being herded back to their bus.

Well after seeing this thread I found myself with an hour or so to spare so I thought that I would visit the new Shenanigans.

Parking is very easy with ample parking spaces. Most of the outlets are still being completed and I noted some top market leader names amongst them.

An easy trip up the escalator took me to the first floor where the queue for the cinema was bigger than I have seen at any cinema complex in Pattaya.

I wandered over to the new Shenanigans which has tables set around the outside with quite a number taken.

Inside it was very impressive with quality furniture and fixtures and decor which still gave a good feel of a traditional pub. The new premises are much lighter than the old premises which were situated in a basement area across the road in the Royal garden complex.

The main bar area is very large with ample tables and comfortabe seating but also with quieter more private raised areas. The fixtures are impressive and the main bar area which I was drawn to is huge and designed in a horseshoe shape.

There is a second bar area which can be used for private functions and which will accomodate a games area when completed.

Having just opened I was quite surprised that it was as busy as it was with people sat around the bar as well as a number of people enjoying their meals.

I think that this place will be a winner...up market if you want to call it that....I found it very relaxing and enjoyed my beer and chat with the guys sat around the bar.

I would like to add that I have no financial interest whatsoever in these premises but just wanted to try it out and I was very pleased that I did. I will definitely be going back.

Agreed, I've been also and i think its a very nice place. :D

Total rip off, AVOID the place. Its trying to change the resort we know and where our pennies go so far into another western state. Plenty of great and cheep places here guys, Magie Mays 150 bht a pint of Guiness, ###### shinannigans !!!!!!!!!!!

Even 150 is a rip. A beer on Soi 7 is 35 baht

What beer? Not Guinness I'd bet. :o

Yes I like Kim but no fan of the location of Jamiesons next to the Roach Motel, sorry that should read those who want to live an authentic local life style, but Jamiesens does solid business with expats at all times whilst packing them in for rugby and other events. No path to great riches but a solid business plan.

Where Sheniniwhatsit is and their business plan means they need tourist and lots of them. Have you seen many around for the last five months?

Disagree with the sleaze factor, but different reasons for everyone.... I personally like being near the water/beach. Tis a beach resort after all and I like to stick to that sort of environment when having a few drinks. Open Air and outdoors for the most part. If I want a pub atmosphere, franky I'd go back to blighty for that.

What they doing with the old location????

agree totaly with the beach, sleaze its there if you want it if you dont stay away simple. try to keep away from expats while on leave, 10 weeks at atime in the bush eating drinking and working with expats 24hrs a day just gets a tad toooo much so i for one wont be in shenanighans simple.

to all of you out there if you like the old style pub theme why dont you stay at home simple! sure patters could manage with out you.

I think what "Khun Shenanigans" is forgetting is that a large percentage of his clientèle partake in what he defines as being lurid activities - those patrons populating his tables and booths are not in Pattaya for the Opera or the Symphony.

Although Pattaya is becoming more and more gentrified, the base attraction here *is* the bar business. While many living and visiting Pattaya are of the "Cheap Charlie" persuasion, even they at times are willing to saw off the arm and leg which a meal at Shenanigans will require.

If upmarket is what they want - they should have moved their location to a certain city about 120 kilometers to the north, and not across the street.

I personally don't find the food there anything special, and I've found tastier fare for less elsewhere.

-H

Well I have just picked up a new "skinflick" newspaper called The Walking Street Journal. It is full of stories and ads for gogo's and girls. For example they have headlines like "Living the wet dream!" and "Top ten pickup lines to use on a hardcore freelancer strolling down Walking Street" As well as a surprizing number of real estate agents advertising in here which I am sure sends out a good message, who else is in there with 2 colour ads and B&W ads also????

Yep, you've guessed it. Shenanigans!!! Hypocritical or what?

I am not passing comment on this particular publication and I am sure there is a market for it, however with the comments made by the owner as outlined in the opening post, it is very surprizing that he choose to place his advertising here.

Edited by wcr

I doubt the owner (who was interviewed) is actively involved with the running of the place so it's probably not him who placed the ad.

And hey, I pop in there every so often, and the place seems to be doing pretty good, so whatever people think about the place or the owners, creating a supply when there obviously is a demand is all what business is about!

His main competitor, ran by the bloke who used to run the old Shenanigans/Delaney's is doing just as well or better, with prices only a tad lower...

It sounds like the Shenanigans' boss is being rather judgmental and a little insulting when it comes to the city where he hope to run a successful business. I wonder if he'll park himself by the door of his establishment and decide who is "respectable" enough to enter?

I don't think I'll be giving Shenanigans anymore business.

Edited by pattyboy

It sounds like the Shenanigans' boss is being rather judgmental and a little insulting when it comes to the city where he hope to run a successful business. I wonder if he'll park himself by the door of his establishment and decide who is "respectable" enough to enter?

I don't think I'll be giving Shenanigans anymore business.

Well could gather a group of ladies and well invade the place. :o