Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't understand your question...

What do you mean "burger bar", and what is spurring your question???

Maybe that would help with finding some better answer....

everyone keeps talking about burger bars, so what constitutes a real bona fide burger bar? please define it.

i've been to tequila bars where all they sell are various tequilas and you sit at a bar, drink them and appreciate them etc.

so is a burger bar similar to that?

Tommy's?!!!! They still haven't broken out of L.A.! You might as well ask Pink's if they want to franchise out in Thailand.

Why don't you try the chains that are actually interested in Asia?

1. Fatburger - has a store in the Venetian Macau. Now opening in Hong Kong.

2. Wendy's/Arby's - mass expansion into Malaysia, with stores already open in KL.

3. Chili's - just announced opening a restaurant in Singapore

wendys did thailand, they had a siam square location in 98 or 99. Didn't last long sadly. there also used to be a taco time in siam sq if you can believe that Blanito #2 with sour cream. ahh

• 8 months later...

Time to revive this thread, since -- really -- what's more important in life than finding the best hamburgers in Bangkok...

There's a new sheriff in town on the burger beat, you might say... And this one may be pretty hard to beat... See my review of the newly opened Duke's Express and their hamburgers in the Emporium shopping center. Quite a mouthful.... :)

The Garage Burger & Grill

All Seasons Place, 2nd Floor, Wireless Road

Open lunch until 10 p.m. daily

Credit Cards Accepted

Delivery via ChefsXP.com

You know how sometimes even a good hamburger suffers badly when it's delivered to your home. Time takes its toll. The burger itself begins to get dry and hard, the bun goes stale and the garnishes kind of lose their freshness and crispness. Well, that exactly was the disappointing hamburger meal I had for lunch today from The Garage Burger and Grill on Wireless Road near the U.S. Embassy. The only problem was, my hamburger matching that description was served up "fresh" for eating in -- not 30 or 60 minutes after cooking for home delivery.

post-53787-1270545921_thumb.jpg

My first trip to The Garage Burger was quite a disappointment. The setting is nice, located on the second floor of the retail center at the All Seasons Place, right next to a Sizzler and a Burger King. The prices are fair and the service was OK. But the food, though, was struggling to hit lackluster. I ordered their 225 baht net Set A Lunch, which includes their standard Garage Burger, a side order of french fries, a choice of soup or garden salad, and a single glass of soft drink. That special is available Monday to Friday until 2 p.m. (Their regular Garage Burger and fries, without the drink or soup/salad, is 190 baht++. So the deal is not bad in terms of price.

post-53787-1270545702_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1270545737_thumb.jpg

The meal started off fine with a decent garden salad with an Italian style dressing served in a good sized bowl of iceberg lettuce with slices of tomato and cucumber and some grated carrot strings. I had a glass of root beer for my drink, and since the lunch set only includes a single glass, went on to order a regular/refillable soft drink for 60 baht++. On the table was a squeeze bottle of French's mustard and Heinz catsup but only Thai white pepper. When I asked, the waitress brought a large pepper grinder that had regular black pepper inside. In taking my order, the waitress inquired how I wanted my burger cooked and I answered medium.

post-53787-1270545806_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1270545746_thumb.jpg

Then a bit later, the burger arrived with an order of thick-cut, skins on potato wedges on the side, which weren't bad. The burger patty was good sized, advertised as about 200g, appeared charbroiled on the exterior, and had garnishes on the side. The patty was nicely formed and sized, round and flat and filling out the standard-issue warmed hamburger bun it came on. But from there, things started to go downhill fast.

The first bite into the burger revealed a bun that was either stale or had been pre-heated and left sitting around too long. The meat, while it tasted OK, was a bit on the dry size, not any hint of pink inside to be found despite my request for medium, and likewise tasted like it had been pre-cooked or sitting around prior to its serving. The pair of tomato slices on the side were OK, but the single leaf of lettuce was really limp, and there was a dab of so-called cole slaw on the side of the plate that was barely edible. The basic Garage Burger doesn't come with cheese, so I asked for it to be added and got two slices of a pale, white-ish cheese melted on top for an extra 35 baht++.

post-53787-1270545881_thumb.jpg

If I had just eaten the salad and the burger patty, I would have been OK. But the worn taste and appearance of supporting cast, strange given that I was eating just after 1 p.m. on a weekday, left me wishing I had gone elsewhere, and not likely to be returning soon.

post-53787-1270545969_thumb.jpg

Edited by jfchandler

• 1 month later...

Both the Hard Rock Cafe in Siam Square and Duke's Express in the Emporium Shopping Center offer large burgers...

HRC has a couple of 10 oz varieties that go for, I believe, 590 baht++ or so...

Here's a recent photo of their SOB Burger, which comes with a chipotle pepper puree and Jack cheese with guacamole and grilled onions.

post-53787-1273332437_thumb.jpg

Dukes meanwhile offers their Route 66 burger for 210 baht, which is billed as a double 1/4 pound patties burger with cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato and Thousand Island dressing.

Here's what the Route 66 looks like:

post-53787-1273332723_thumb.jpg

Between the two, price aside and just based on taste, I think the Duke's burger is better tasting. I like their ground beef (supposedly Thai French ground sirloin) much better than whatever variety the HRC is using..

If there's any bigger burger offerings out there that anyone would want to eat, please chime in...

Both the Hard Rock Cafe in Siam Square and Duke's Express in the Emporium Shopping Center offer large burgers...

HRC has a couple of 10 oz varieties that go for, I believe, 590 baht++ or so...

Here's a recent photo of their SOB Burger, which comes with a chipotle pepper puree and Jack cheese with guacamole and grilled onions.

post-53787-1273332437_thumb.jpg

Dukes meanwhile offers their Route 66 burger for 210 baht, which is billed as a double 1/4 pound patties burger with cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato and Thousand Island dressing.

Here's what the Route 66 looks like:

post-53787-1273332723_thumb.jpg

Between the two, price aside and just based on taste, I think the Duke's burger is better tasting. I like their ground beef (supposedly Thai French ground sirloin) much better than whatever variety the HRC is using..

If there's any bigger burger offerings out there that anyone would want to eat, please chime in...

Never had a burger at HRC (don't like the look of the hamburger in the picture)

Never have eaten at Garage Burger and Grill (burger looks close to an American burger)

Ate at Dukes last week.....wonderful burger (if I remember it was the Duke Burger or something like that).........onions, big tomato, lettuce, thousand island dressing, mushrooms, bacon, huge ground beef..........great bread.........and nice pickle).

Just looking at the pictures and knowing what Duke's is like, my guess is that Duke's is the place to go for a burger.

My only complaint was the meat (although tasty) was too dry.......needs more fat content.............it seems to be very lean (OK that means healthy but the last thing I want is a healthy hamburger).

• 1 year later...
It is also online...haven't tried them out yet, but seems decent. A properly made Philly Cheese Steak would go down well :o

I love the burgers at the Nana Hotel!

Big, Juicy served with lettuce tomatoes onions and french fries all for about 100 baht!

Me too but sadly never again, in hospital 5 days with food poisening, the burger was the only thing I had to eat that day no mistaking the source.

As I was passing by on the skytrain the other day I wondered if anyone has eaten at that diner place beside Sunset Tacos on Sukhumvit near the Sheraton? Any good?

You didn't say how much The Duke Burger costs. Sub 200 baht Gullivers is still #1; includes french fries & cole slaw. Metro Burger at Bar B Q Sandwich King is excellent, maybe the best in Bangkok.

Great American Rib would be worth trying too.

• 4 weeks later...

Bangkok Burger Company

They will be ready to open in 3 weeks on Thong Lor Soi 10

and i have had the privilidge of trying a couple round at the owners house.

Let me tell you that you are in for a treat.

Bangkok Burger company aims to introduce gourmet burgers to Bangkok.

Head over to the facebook.com/bangkokburgercompany and like

the page leave a comment and get on the opening week guest list.

Will post the specials as he reveals them.

3 weeks to go.

The mods on here are invited as well.

Cant Wait.

Potters

As I was passing by on the skytrain the other day I wondered if anyone has eaten at that diner place beside Sunset Tacos on Sukhumvit near the Sheraton? Any good?

You didn't say how much The Duke Burger costs. Sub 200 baht Gullivers is still #1; includes french fries & cole slaw. Metro Burger at Bar B Q Sandwich King is excellent, maybe the best in Bangkok.

The Duke's burgers are about 250 baht (if my memory is correct). Just click on the Duke's link as the place is one of TV's sponsors. I like the burgers at Dukes when the meat is not too dry. I really want to try the Bangkok Burger Company mentioned earlier.

These topics crack me up. Like saying where to get the best head (off lettuce) here-so very subjective don't you think? Find that hard to swallow? don't worry some expert will come along and tell us the best "burger" can come from .......

These topics crack me up. Like saying where to get the best head (off lettuce) here-so very subjective don't you think? Find that hard to swallow? don't worry some expert will come along and tell us the best "burger" can come from .......

Well? Do you eat hamburgers? Do you have a favorite place or an opinion? Can one thing be better than another? Is everything relative? :)

Bangkok Burger Company

3 weeks to go.

Cant Wait.

Potters

Looks like they have a website too, bangkokburgercompany.com, with a menu. Prices are pretty reasonable for burgers in BKK, 230 for most of the burgers with lots of different toppings, and about 70 baht more for a large. Says it comes with steak fries too which is a plus. Gonna have to try this place out. No pics of the food on the site though

Bangkok Burger Company

3 weeks to go.

Cant Wait.

Potters

They better be perfect in every way and to suit every taste after that post! laugh.gif

Look forward to the reviews....

Not really Thai related because you will have to go to Japan for this one:

post-61130-0-93937500-1310627324_thumb.j

Last June, Lotteria started selling this monster, which it is calling the Tower Burger. The burger will cost 990 yen for the first month, and then 1,060 yen after that.

The burger has 1,823 calories.

... but the best that I've ever had was at the Four Seasons in Jakarta. B)

Edited by lazygourmet

Ok I will play along_ron at home run bar does a really nice burger.

Thanks for the Home Run Bar tip. I looked them up on the internet. They have the worst website ever created! I wanted to see the menu, but that was not possible. The Bangkok Burger Company looks good to me. In addition to different burgers, they are going to sell what looks like a Middle-Eastern type burger and a cheese steak hoagie, among other interesting items. I can't wait to try the place.

The burgers at Dukes at the Emporium food court area are among the best in BKK, at least in terms of an American standard...

Prices range from around 150 baht, including fries, and then go upward toward 250 for some of their specialty varieties.

The V8 Diner is the place near Sunrise Tacos.... Great Federbrau beer and other drink specials via their day and night long happy hour 7 days a week... And they have real chili fries on the menu, as well as decent pancakes and syrup for breakfast... Not sure if I've tried one of their burgers yet...

Edited by jfchandler

Ok I will play along_ron at home run bar does a really nice burger.

James, I've tried the hamburger there at Home Run, and as much as I had high hopes for the place, I wasn't much impressed. I found it pretty mediocre...

Dukes at the Emporium definitely is better... But these things are, as pointed out, somewhat a subjective matter of opinion. Everyone has their tastes.

Some here in the TV community think anything with beetroot and fried egg on it makes a great hamburger. I'm happily not one of them.