Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree about the Hard Rock... I wrote a review of their hamburgers here in TV somewhere in the burger thread.... I liked their burger a lot, and of course, almost everything at HR is relatively expensive.... But it was decent value for what they served up...

About MOS, gotta agree with Soi.... I tried a couple of their burgers, cheese and something spicy, and came away really unimpressed. I'm an American, and their burgers don't taste like burgers at all, or anything remotely like what's I'd call a beef hamburger. They do have a bun, and some kind of patty in the middle, but that's about as close as they get.

Likewise, whatever that tomatoey sauce was they put on their burgers, I tried it....and didn't want it. Never going back to MOS again for burgers... Leave them for the Japanese....

On the other hand, they had really good and fresh french fries there. Believe I also wrote a review of MOS previously here.

:D that makes two so far who have ordered at Mosburger without bothering to read the menu first. There are plenty of sandwiches that come without the MOS sauce, including a regular cheeseburger and hamburger. Here's a menu from the Singapore branch, pretty much the same menu as in Bangkok.

http://www.mosburger.com.sg/MOS_PDF/mainmenu.pdf

Check out the fifth row down. Yep that's right, regular burgers, no MOS sauce.

But the full-on Spicy MOS Cheeseburger, complete with the delicious sauce, is my 'best burger in Bangok,' especially for the money. I guess I've acquired a taste for the modern Japanese take on the burger the same way many Americans prefer their Americanized versions of Chinese food or Mexican food. :)

Their fries are the best I've had in Bangkok as well. YMMV ...

Edited by SpoliaOpima

I had the MOS spicy burger and one of their regular hamburger's with sauce, when I tried their Siam Paragon location. As far as being real hamburgers, they both sucked. The regular burger I ordered came with the tomato sauce. The spicy burger did not. The Japanese should stick to kobe beef and sushi, and not muck about with hamburgers. :)

Interesting discussion re burgers. What interests me is peoples' opinion on what a burger should be cooked on and why. I always thought the preferred option would be on a chargrill (charcoal or wood) or gas grill but it seems alot of the pro chefs say it is best cooked on a flat griddle.

Would be interested in other posters' views and in particular the Americans, who always have an opion on what makes a good burger :)

Didn't realize they used to have Carl's Jr, wish they were still here. I'd go for their bacon western cheeseburger with curly fries over any burger I've ever had in Thailand.

But the Thai beef would spoil it no matter how much bacon is loaded on. Now if they used Aussie beef, that's another story and another price range.

Definitely not!

You can pick up Thai French beef from their butchers on Silom or from a Villa Market meat counter. It will be labeled with a "TF" after the end of the cut. The rib eye and new york strip are both very decent.

Didn't realize they used to have Carl's Jr, wish they were still here. I'd go for their bacon western cheeseburger with curly fries over any burger I've ever had in Thailand.

But the Thai beef would spoil it no matter how much bacon is loaded on. Now if they used Aussie beef, that's another story and another price range.

I'm guessing that McDonalds and Burger King are using a very cheap grade of Ausie beef now. Their burgers taste the same in OZ as here.

I'm guessing that McDonalds and Burger King are using a very cheap grade of Ausie beef now. Their burgers taste the same in OZ as here.

I'm pretty sure that's the case for McDonald's. Not sure about BK, though.

As for Carl's Jr - the beef came from the US.

...and no one has mentioned Hard Rock Cafe.

I had a burger there a couple of weeks ago and it was great. A bit pricy but it was huge and came with all the trimmings.

If you go at happy hour (sorry can't remember the times) 2 for one beers. I like the bar in there early in the evening, it's not too busy and great music going on.

Best burger i have had anywhere in town, great sevice and what better place to eat a burger than with good rock music and cold beers.

I had a burger there a couple of weeks ago and it was great. A bit pricy but it was huge and came with all the trimmings.

Actually, it was mentioned, first post, preceding page. The reply gave the same impression as yours.

OK you guys... don't ever say I'm not thinking of you...and trying to do my part....

Right now, it's Thursday late night, and I'm waiting at L.A. Airport for my flight back home to BKK....

But, just to give you a hint, in the past two days, I've sampled the hamburger delights here from

--Tommy's Burgers (double chili burger, plus their new sausage, egg and chili breakfast burger)

--Fuddruckers (half pound cheeseburger)

--and Carl's Jr. (bacon guacamole burger)

And I'm returning with photos of Tommy's and Fuddruckers.... Had Carl's on the run, so wasn't snapping at the time... Almost considered bringing back a spare Carl's Western Bacon Cheese Burger to auction off to the highest bidder. But I was sorta afraid it might not keep well during about 24 hours in transit... So no go on that...

But suffice to say, I'm stuffed with burgers right now... enough to last me for a while... So maybe I can go back to just eating Thai food for a while... :)

When I get back and settled, I'll post some reviews and photos... Bon appetit!!!!

Sorry OT... no time to make it over to Farmer's Market for any pastrami...

But I did have a couple morning's breakfasts at IHOP for some very satisfying pancakes and stuffed french toast with strawberry cream filling and strawberry compote topping.... But that's another thread and place...

Actually, it was mentioned, first post, preceding page. The reply gave the same impression as yours.

Correct. I missed it.

The other "best burger" i had in BKK was at little place just round the corner from Cheap Charlie's on Soi 11.

100 bht gets you a burger, bun, side sald and baked potato. Baked potato comes with sour cream. All served on a china plate with metal knives and forks and accompanyments. They even deliver it to Charlie's.

They have a small restaurant outside and in. There's a BBQ outside too. You can't miss it. They have a small menu and the chicken kebabs are big and tasty. Again, 100 bht.

Value for money, the best burger in town by far

OK you guys... don't ever say I'm not thinking of you...and trying to do my part....

Right now, it's Thursday late night, and I'm waiting at L.A. Airport for my flight back home to BKK....

But, just to give you a hint, in the past two days, I've sampled the hamburger delights here from

--Tommy's Burgers (double chili burger, plus their new sausage, egg and chili breakfast burger)

--Fuddruckers (half pound cheeseburger)

--and Carl's Jr. (bacon guacamole burger)

And I'm returning with photos of Tommy's and Fuddruckers.... Had Carl's on the run, so wasn't snapping at the time... Almost considered bringing back a spare Carl's Western Bacon Cheese Burger to auction off to the highest bidder. But I was sorta afraid it might not keep well during about 24 hours in transit... So no go on that...

But suffice to say, I'm stuffed with burgers right now... enough to last me for a while... So maybe I can go back to just eating Thai food for a while... :D

When I get back and settled, I'll post some reviews and photos... Bon appetit!!!!

Sorry OT... no time to make it over to Farmer's Market for any pastrami...

But I did have a couple morning's breakfasts at IHOP for some very satisfying pancakes and stuffed french toast with strawberry cream filling and strawberry compote topping.... But that's another thread and place...

Careful with all those burgers John or United may charge you extra for getting to fat. :)

I had the MOS spicy burger and one of their regular hamburger's with sauce, when I tried their Siam Paragon location. As far as being real hamburgers, they both sucked. The regular burger I ordered came with the tomato sauce. The spicy burger did not. The Japanese should stick to kobe beef and sushi, and not muck about with hamburgers. :D

You need to update your glasses prescription,as even with pictures you have trouble following menus :) The regular burger and cheeseburger come with ketchup, no tomato sauce.

Aside: Americans are so funny, gotta have their Chinese food in the American style, or Mexican food in the American style, etc, but heaven forbid another country would try and interpet American cuisine in innovative ways that some of us like just fine.

In your opinion Mosburgers suck. In my opinion, best burgers in Bangkok for the price.

Aside: Americans are so funny

No funnier than anyone else, mate.

Mosburgers are alright but beware of their rice burgers.

In their insistence that American-style Mexican is better than real Mexican, etc, I do find them uniquely funny. Just my opinion, mate, YMMV.

Don't be so silly. It is not just Americans. Most Brits say that the best Indian food in the world is served in England and a lot of people agree with them. The ingredients are much better there than India and most people can afford to spend a lot more for good meat or other ingredients.

The Mexican food and Chinese food in America was developed by immigrants who suddenly had a lot more money to spend and better meats and vegetables and they could add things like avocado and sour cream that they could not afford in their own country.

It is not about changing things for Western tastes, it is about spending a lot more on good ingredients to make dishes taste the best that they possibly can. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

About Mexican food in America, the countries border each other, there are tons of Mexicans and Mexican Americans and Mexican restaurants in America and at one time some States were Mexican territory.

ALL of the good ingredients from Mexico pour across the border and America has alot of good things that they do not have down South and different States have blended Meican food with the local cuisine. It is no surprise that some people think that some types of Mexican food is better up North. :)

In their insistence that American-style Mexican is better than real Mexican, etc, I do find them uniquely funny. Just my opinion, mate, YMMV.

Not sure where you got that idea about Americans and Mexican food... Most Americans I know, who know anything about Mexican food, don't think like that...

As has been said here many times before, there's Mexican food from Mexico, Tex-Mex food, and what might be called California Mexican food, and maybe some other styles too. I grew up in Los Angeles, and had the opportunity to eat, enjoy and appreciate all. Never thought any one is "better", but they are a bit different....

Likewise, I've eaten authentic Chinese food, and Americanized Chinese food, and was married with a Taiwanese for many years. Franikly, I'd take authentic Chinese food over Americanized Chinese food any day... And given the number of Chinese living in California these days, it's pretty easy to find authentic Chinese food, particularly in Southern California...

Not sure where you got that idea about Americans and Mexican food... Most Americans I know, who know anything about Mexican food, don't think like that..

Same here and same with Chinese food.

What is funny really is how many non-Americans harbor outdated incorrect stereotypes about Americans.

You need to update your glasses prescription,as even with pictures you have trouble following menus :) The regular burger and cheeseburger come with ketchup, no tomato sauce.

Perhaps you should update your glasses instead. If you look at the original review I wrote on MOS, and the actual photo I posted of the cheeseburger they served me, you will clearly see it was generously doused with some tomatoey, spaghetti-type sauce...and definitely not catsup...

Review and photos are here....

Likewise, I've eaten authentic Chinese food, and Americanized Chinese food, and was married with a Taiwanese for many years. Franikly, I'd take authentic Chinese food over Americanized Chinese food any day... And given the number of Chinese living in California these days, it's pretty easy to find authentic Chinese food, particularly in Southern California...

I'm not sure what you mean by "Americanized Chinese food". I am talking about the food that one finds in Chinatown or on Clement steet in San Francisco in a restaurant full of Chimese people, not the horrible super-fried stuff that you get in a can or in the best restaurants of Oklahoma.

I would call it "authentic" as far as taste, but they also serve American favorites like General Tso's Chicken or Chop Suay, but it is almost the same as Chinese food in Hong Kong or Singapore or KL.

Aside: Americans are so funny, gotta have their Chinese food in the American style, or Mexican food in the American style, etc, but heaven forbid another country would try and interpet American cuisine in innovative ways that some of us like just fine.

In your opinion Mosburgers suck. In my opinion, best burgers in Bangkok for the price.

What's wrong with wanting what you're used to...especially if you like it? I love Americanized Chinese orange chicken. I miss it. And, I think Americas tend to embrace international foods far more than some groups. Few of my Thai friends experiment much with non-Thai food.

And there's nothing wrong with other groups experimenting with American cuisine (whatever that is). My reaction here in Thailand with western food is often, "Well that's different, and I ____ it." It may end up hate or like.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Americanized Chinese food". I am talking about the food that one finds in Chinatown or on Clement steet in San Francisco in a restaurant full of Chimese people, not the horrible super-fried stuff that you get in a can or in the best restaurants of Oklahoma.

I'm not sure what the Chimese people eat on Clemet steet, but some of the best Chinese I've ever eaten was from a restaurant owned by Cambodians, in Souix Falls, South Dakota (they escaped the donut racket). Beyond "Americanized Chinese" (Egg Foo Young, Butterflied Shrimp, General's Chicken, they do some great, "down-home" stuff, that one would usually only find at the staff's table. Much of it is typical, like fried rice and rice soup. As mentioned before, what sets it apart, besides the great skill of the cook, is the quality of the "left-overs" used to make these classics.

Perhaps you should update your glasses instead. If you look at the original review I wrote on MOS, and the actual photo I posted of the cheeseburger they served me, you will clearly see it was generously doused with some tomatoey, spaghetti-type sauce...and definitely not catsup...

Review and photos are here....

What I think he's trying to say is that the Mos Burger is not the regular hamburger. If you look at the cheapest options on the menu they have plain hamburger and cheeseburger - your photo is definitely the Mos Burger. The sauce seems very much like a marinara sauce - and I happen to like it. But it is clearly not the ordinary burger - which I also tested and is not significantly different from McD's.

A lot of restaurants in SF's Chinatown still serve Americanized-Chinese food. So I would hardly use that as a defining standard...

In LA, however, there is a huge mix of Chinese food out towards the east, such as Monterey Park. You will find both Americanized and traditional Chinese dishes - but in that area even the Americanized dishes are of a much higher standard. If, on the other hand, you go to Chinatown - it's mostly Americanized and of very average quality, with a few exceptions.

A lot of restaurants in SF's Chinatown still serve Americanized-Chinese food. So I would hardly use that as a defining standard...
That's true, and a lot of them don't. Also, some have two menus and a separate (inferior) chef for the American food. Its a tourist attraction area and also a big slum, so they cater to whatever people want. Most Chinese Americans who can afford to move out of that area do so (there are many illegals there). There is still great authentic regional Chinese food to be had there though, as well as other parts of the bay area that are not as famous. Edited by Jingthing

That is why I mentioned restaurants in Chinatown "full of Chinese people" and also Clement street which is not at all touristy, but lots of Chinese restaurants - full of Chinese people. :)