Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

Thanks Bonobo.... I just got finished looking at their web site to find the nearest locations...

I've added them to my list of things to do (and eat) when I'm back to my former home...

Somehow, in all my past years living in L.A., never eaten there...

A lot of their locations are out in the boonies a bit... But I just noticed, they have locations now in the San Fernando Valley and West L.A., so I'll manage to hit them there.

I'm a big fan of Tommy's chili burgers. So it will be interesting to see how they compare. In looking at Fudd's menu on the web, it appears they give you quite a choice of burger sizes... Can't wait!!!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT, want me to talk to the Tommy's folks about a BKK outlet???

I can tell them, don't worry about the beef supply. We got buffalo beef here galore... :D

Just need the secret chili recipe... and we're in business!!! :D

When I looked at the Fudd's web site earlier today, it seemed to me they talked about locations outside the U.S., including some somewhere in Asia... So given that, Thailand shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility -- except that Thai's don't much eat beef burgers... :)

Safe trip, jf.

Fuddruckers is THE burger. But I would happily take Tommy's as a substitute!

Chili's? Gotta be kidding...

As for the burger at Piri-Piri - so-so, heavily marinated. Much rather have a Whopper.

Although no longer on the menu, Chilis blue cheese bacon burger with chipoltle sauce is (was) heaven.

It's all a matter of taste, of course. I lived not far from a Fuddruckers in northern Virginia, and while I stopped on rare occasions, I never found it particularly memorable.

Cool. Can you guys tell us some more about really nice burgers in the USA!

Well, yes, if like jfchandler, you were flying next week from Thailand to a specific place in the US and wanted a recommendation, and I had a recommendation, I would!  

Or if you questioned how the burgers at Bully's or the BBQ Sandwich King compared to a decent American burger, I would expound on that, too.

:)

I had another round of a Bully's burger the other day... I liked the first one (guacamole and bacon) I had some time back... And Bully's french fries are always good.

This latest time, I just had their regular Bully's burger... And it arrived REALLY plain... The bun, the meat, and lettuce, tomato and a few onion slices on the side. I added some mustard and gave it a try like that.

This time, I wasn't enthused. Maybe before, the guac and bacon covered or added to the flavor of the beef. This time, with the plainer burger, I was really just tasting the flavor of the beef, and it somehow wasn't tasting particularly good. No taste of grilling... And a bit off in terms of the taste of the beef itself, for my palate.

Re Barbecue Sandwich King, since I'd been eating a bit too much beef elsewhere lately, I tried their veggie burger on a recent visit. And, I must say, it was pretty good. Mark said they make their own veggie patties, if I recall correct, from rice and veggies. The texture was a bit moist and crumbly. But the flavor and overall impression was good, if you enjoy veggie burgers.

Out and around town, you don't see too many places offering any kind of decent veggie burger. So it's nice that BBQ Sandwich King is serving that up as an option, apart from their own pretty good hamburger and BBQ offerings.

In n' Out - not special, but decent.

White Castle - that is the one burger I miss from the East Coast... never figured out why they didn't expand to the West Coast...

Bully's - guess it's hit or miss, much like Garage - if they don't get the grill to the right heat, it tastes terrible.

After it had been written about on here many times, I finally tried Mos Burger when at Emporium the other day. Personally, I don't get it. Some strange 'meat sauce' on a cheeseburger. Ugh

For the few remaining days I have in Thailand, I think I will stick to Thai food and wait until I am back in the world for a real burger.

When I looked at the Fudd's web site earlier today, it seemed to me they talked about locations outside the U.S., including some somewhere in Asia... So given that, Thailand shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility -- except that Thai's don't much eat beef burgers... :)

The problem is that they would get their beef here and that ruins the burgers. Burger King in the US has MUCH better beef than McDonalds, but in Asia and in Australia, they both use the same crap.

I don't think that bringing a good chain here would make any difference as long as their beef comes from this area. :D

The problem is that they would get their beef here and that ruins the burgers. Burger King in the US has MUCH better beef than McDonalds, but in Asia and in Australia, they both use the same crap.

I don't think that bringing a good chain here would make any difference as long as their beef comes from this area. :D

From where does the beef for Thai Burger King and McDonalds come?  I am not a fan of either chain as far as hamburgers go.  I am not a fan of anywhere that has frozen patties, for that matter (so I have to give kudos to In 'N Out for that type of burger place).  But since they are frozen anyways, can't they get decent beef from Australia or even Japan, for that matter?  Is their beef local?  It has been years since I have eaten at a Japanese or Australian McDonalds, but I seem to remember them being just about the same as US McDonalds.

After it had been written about on here many times, I finally tried Mos Burger when at Emporium the other day. Personally, I don't get it. Some strange 'meat sauce' on a cheeseburger. Ugh

For the few remaining days I have in Thailand, I think I will stick to Thai food and wait until I am back in the world for a real burger.

You must have ordered the 'MOS cheeseburger,' which comes with sukiyaki sauce. Next time order the 'cheeseburger,' which is doesn't come with the sauce. For the price (49 baht), about the same as McD or BK (but a bigger, tastier, fresher burger), arguably one the best deals in Bangkok for burgers.

how are the burgers at the hard rock?

Good, but expensive (US$8-9).

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Gotta agree about the Hard Rock... I wrote a review of their hamburgers here in TV somewhere in the burger thread.... I liked their burger a lot, and of course, almost everything at HR is relatively expensive.... But it was decent value for what they served up...

About MOS, gotta agree with Soi.... I tried a couple of their burgers, cheese and something spicy, and came away really unimpressed. I'm an American, and their burgers don't taste like burgers at all, or anything remotely like what's I'd call a beef hamburger. They do have a bun, and some kind of patty in the middle, but that's about as close as they get.

Likewise, whatever that tomatoey sauce was they put on their burgers, I tried it....and didn't want it. Never going back to MOS again for burgers... Leave them for the Japanese....

On the other hand, they had really good and fresh french fries there. Believe I also wrote a review of MOS previously here.

I'm taking a quick trip back to L.A. starting Saturday...

Any burger recommendations... besides the obvious.... TOMMY'S!!!!!!!! :)

If you head down to Watts, you could tackle a Hawkin's House of Burgers burger:

tinyurl.com/hawkinsburger

OT, want me to talk to the Tommy's folks about a BKK outlet???

I can tell them, don't worry about the beef supply. We got buffalo beef here galore... :D

Just need the secret chili recipe... and we're in business!!! :)

I've been eating Tommy's burgers, dogs and tamales since the 60's. We used to cure the 2am munchies with a few burgers. Even at 2am, there was a substancial line. Those were the days when the grill man moved like a marshall arts expert

At home, I make my own "Tommy's" tamales, starting with an Alex's tamale, add a slice of American cheese, Hormel chili, onions and tomatoes. I forego the pickles and mustard; there are just some things I don't think work with Tamales. They are indistiguisable from "Tommy's" tamales.

Tommy's?!!!! They still haven't broken out of L.A.! You might as well ask Pink's if they want to franchise out in Thailand.

Why don't you try the chains that are actually interested in Asia?

1. Fatburger - has a store in the Venetian Macau. Now opening in Hong Kong.

2. Wendy's/Arby's - mass expansion into Malaysia, with stores already open in KL.

3. Chili's - just announced opening a restaurant in Singapore

Tommy's?!!!! They still haven't broken out of L.A.! You might as well ask Pink's if they want to franchise out in Thailand.

In case you didn't notice, JF's gone back Stateside so he wanted a list of places in LA... Tommy's and Pink's absolutely belong on that list, as well as Fuddrucker's... Islands in Pasadena is very good... Red Robin's so-so...

Speaking of which - while you're there, JF, could you go pick up some pastrami at Farmer's Market? :)

2. Wendy's/Arby's - mass expansion into Malaysia, with stores already open in KL.

Fatburger - if only they would come here...

Wendy's - been and gone. Sadly run by a PCL whose main business is cosmetics and clothing... they also had Popeye's, Long John Silver's, Yoshinoya/Beef Bowl, Taco Time, and Arby's - all long gone, and I don't expect them to try again in Thailand.

Others which have come and gone include Denny's, and Bob's Big Boy, both run by small family concerns which didn't quite have what it took to build on the brands they licensed.

Chili's - not bothered for burgers, but might be good for some Tex Mex...

In case you didn't notice, JF's gone back Stateside so he wanted a list of places in LA... Tommy's and Pink's absolutely belong on that list, as well as Fuddrucker's... Islands in Pasadena is very good... Red Robin's so-so...

Speaking of which - while you're there, JF, could you go pick up some pastrami at Farmer's Market? :)

Fatburger - if only they would come here...

Wendy's - been and gone. Sadly run by a PCL whose main business is cosmetics and clothing... they also had Popeye's, Long John Silver's, Yoshinoya/Beef Bowl, Taco Time, and Arby's - all long gone, and I don't expect them to try again in Thailand.

Others which have come and gone include Denny's, and Bob's Big Boy, both run by small family concerns which didn't quite have what it took to build on the brands they licensed.

I would love for a Fatburger to come here.  It is probably my favorite fast food burger.

I like Yoshinoya for fast food as well. I know many Thais don't do the beef thing, but in Japan, Yoshinoya has an extremely good pork bowl.  

The only complaint I have about Fatburger in Macau is that they don't have Kingburgers... but a triple Fat, bacon, egg, cheese is a good substitute :)

Yoshinoya/Beef Bowl also makes excellent teriyaki chicken. Every time I pass through the Macau Ferry Terminal in HK, I stop in for a combo... The outlets they opened here had a decent pork bowl, not quite the same as in Japan but still good... but the company that owned the franchise just didn't know how to market. They didn't adapt their menu well enough to Thai tastes - same went for Popeye's, Arby's only had beef that I can remember, Wendy's was of course mostly beef, but in its place Santa's (in MBK) has done a half-decent job of it while completely revamping the menu. Long John Silver's was never going to make it in a country where fresh seafood is abundant and cheap... Taco Time also didn't adapt their menus...

It's a real pity because I would've been happy to eat at any of those - and in fact I tried them all when they were here.

Oh yeah - and I completely forgot Carl's Jr! Same company, same failure to adapt... great burgers but terrible locations. They would've survived if they'd have opened in the Emporium... or even Thonglor! But they only ever opened two locations (that I can remember), one in Seri Center, the other in the Varit Bldg at the corner of Petchburi and Wireless... not exactly the most convenient places for home-sick Americans to get to...

I still can't believe they got a hold of so many well-known American food brands, and miserably failed with each and every one of them, none of them lasting more than three years...

Not denigrating Burger King, but if the King can make it here, certainly Wendy's and Carls's Jr could as well had they done even a halfway decent job of marketing.  There is enough potential in either to adjust the menu for Thai tastes, and enough expats around to seek them out. And if KFC can make it (although KFC has a huge amount of expereince in other countries, almost 200 coutnries and coutning, I read), then Popeyes should be able to make it.  I would think that Popeyes chicken would be slightly better for THai tastes.

I relaly wish Yoshinoyas had made it as well.  I can sort of understand Long John Silvers, but even here in the land of fresh, huge prawns, one of my secret vices is deep fried shrimp lathered with tartar sauce, so I rather wish they had made it..

If you want a pastrami, you really need to head to Langer's Deli, called the best pastrami by the NY Times. A New York newspaper praising an LA deli is really saying something! It's at 7th and Alvarado, near the Macarther Park Metro.

There is still a Bob's Big Boy on Riverside Drive, in Burbank. It's one that the Marriot Corporation didn't manage to kill. I always stop in for a Big Boy Combo when in the area.

I used to hit Chili's, at lunch, for their little ribeye. Mighty tasty little bugger...

I haven't eaten at Fudruckers since the early 80's. Maybe they've changed, but their spoonable, liquid 'cheese' sent me running away.

Some of the companies were only established shortly before the financial collapse of 1997 - they had good reason to fail. :)

Actually, most of these launched in 1994 - that would be Popeye's, Yoshinoya, Wendy's, Long John Silver and Taco Time. Only Popeye's made it through 1997, just barely. Arby's launched in 1995, if I recall correctly... and Carl's Jr in 1996. So you may have a point there, but the PCL that owned them was and is still very strong.

Quite simply - they never hired the right management for their F&B division, believing the brands would sell themselves - their cosmetics and clothing lines aren't heavily advertised and are carried by all major department stores. All trace of their F&B involvement has been struck from their company history, presumably to hide their biggest failure.

Not denigrating Burger King, but if the King can make it here, certainly Wendy's and Carls's Jr could as well had they done even a halfway decent job of marketing. There is enough potential in either to adjust the menu for Thai tastes, and enough expats around to seek them out. And if KFC can make it (although KFC has a huge amount of expereince in other countries, almost 200 coutnries and coutning, I read), then Popeyes should be able to make it. I would think that Popeyes chicken would be slightly better for THai tastes.

I relaly wish Yoshinoyas had made it as well. I can sort of understand Long John Silvers, but even here in the land of fresh, huge prawns, one of my secret vices is deep fried shrimp lathered with tartar sauce, so I rather wish they had made it..

Exactly. Though one of the problems with Popeye's is that they never did anything to be more appealing to Thais. Their menu was true to the US menu. About the time they launched, KFC boosted their marketing significantly, obviously believing that Popeye's could be a threat. They also improved the quality of their chicken about that time - before that KFC's chicken was terrible, pieces were small and tasted fishy.

Carl's Jr was the one restaurant they actually tried to make a decent go of - but they had terrible locations. Had they opened Carl's Jr in the locations of their former Wendy's and Taco Time operations (next to the Ambassador Hotel on Sukhumvit) they could've been a huge success. Wendy's just didn't have a wide enough menu to differentiate it from a McD or BK operation... only the baked potatoes stood out, and that's why Santa's in MBK still does baked potatoes.

LJS - I wanted fried clams :D When I went there, no such thing, only stuff which could best be categorized as local deep-fried seafood. They were doomed to failure from launch - nothing on the menu remotely resembled their US menu.

Edited by onethailand