Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

The Best Burger I had In Thailand came from Woodstock. Very good and juicy. Had from a few other places like Larry's Dive and The Garage. Not the same as Woodstock.

I liked Woodstock burgers as an acceptable burger when they were in their former location.  At their present location, I don't think they are quite as good.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most" people worldwide tend to agree that CHinese food is better in Hong Kong, Singapore, or San Francisco, for that matter, is better than that found throughout most of CHina.  

Most people huh? I guess you've taken a poll? Even if you could reference such a poll, like someone once said, if cuisine were democratic we'll all be eating pizza.

Personally I don't believe it's true. Sounds like an American urban myth to me ... :D

Secondly both Hong Kong and Singapore, along with Taiwan, are Chinese-majority societies, so it would be very surprising if they weren't serious contenders with China. In fact Hong Kong is once again China, after a temporary colonisation :D

San Francisco is around 25% Asian. Personally, having eaten many Chinese meals both in SFO and all over China, SFO loses by a long shot. Nothing near the variety of course, and the ingredients in SFO can't compare either. That's my personal opinion and I could care less how many people might disagree. Certainly no one whose palate I consider reputable would :D But if you prefer it, fine.

You can't cite the cuisine in China 20-30 years ago as an example, because the Cultural Revolution drove good cuisine underground. When I first went to China in 1982 the food was pretty bad. I've since made many trips and can report that the cuisine has returned to its former glory.

"And Indian food in the US or England is better than in India."

I respectfully disagree. I have never had an Indian meal in the US or the UK that compares to the best Indian meals I've had in India. Perhaps you just don't know where to go in India.

"Many types of Sushi are better in Los Angeles than in Japan (hence the charter flights which used to fly from Tokyo to LA just on eating trips) and ditto Korean BBQ's in LA versus in Korea.  Ricetaffles in Amsterdam are considered better than in Indonesia."

:) The 'ricetaffle (rijsttafel) is a Dutch invention, so it ought to taste better in Amsterdam. The charter flights from Tokyo to LA to eat sushi? Sorry I don't buy it - reference please?

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2003/10...ose-dishes.html

"All this is opinion, but this opinion reflects more than the other way around.  And I would tend to agree with the "quality of ingrediants" arguement here."

In that case, point in favour of my argument that the Japanese can rival the Americans when it comes to burgers. :D

On a personal level, I find American Thai food to be pretty bad, and while Mexican food in the US is good, it doesn't beat that in Mexico.  

Here you and I agree completely. But you and UG diverge here :D

As far as burger, no, I have not had a good burger in Japan despite living there for three years.  It is a matter of the method of cooking, not the ingrediants. I can see the quality is there, I just have never cared for the taste as much.  I am American, so I am partial to the Amwerican-style burger. If you like the MOS Burger or the European-style beef burgers, all the more power to you.  But outside of the US, Canada, Mexico, and the Philippines, I am not sure I have ever had a good hamburger, (although one in Toulon, on French bread and then smashed flat, was outstanding, if not quite a classic hamburger).

So ultimately your remarks more or less leave the 'better ingredients argument' in the dust, and support the 'method of cooking' argument.

Anyway obviously some of us like one thing and some of us like another. Vive la difference.

(I tried to address each issue separately, but the forum software won't let me do that--too many quote blocks.  So here is goes all at once:)

Concerning taking a poll on "most people" think food is better elsewhere:

Purely from conversations with many people around the world and in reading gourmet magazines. If I had personally taken apoll, I would have written "68%" or whatever. Don't be so pendantic.

On chefs in Hong Kong and Taiwan cooking better food:  

Of course it isn't surprising. Chefs from within a Chinese culture with access to better ingredients and cooking equipment should be able to make better food. It only makes sense.

On San Fran Chinese food:

Oh, I personally am not that fond myself of many SF Chinese restaurants (like Onethaialnd, I find the Chinese food in LA outside of that Chinatown much better). But outside of some of the bigger cities in CHina which seem to be re-discovering their cuisine, I would place most SF restaurants above that of the vast majority of restaurants throughout the Chinese hinterlands. I have been to some fairly remote industrial areas in China, and quite frankly, excpet for very simple dishes, the food has been pretty bad.

On food in China being back to its former glory:

I see it as a trend, but not nearly a fait accompli.

On me not finding good food in India:

I was being wined and dined by a huge Indian company (they flew us by private jet to see the Taj, for example, so their resources are enough to show us "fine" dining.) We went to all the "best restaurants in Delhi, and yes, I have had better food in the US, and I have been told that the food in London is better. I even had one Indian manager tell me he personally liked the Indian food in London better.

On charter sushi trips to LA:

OK, don't believe me. I am not in the habit of lieing, though. There were in fact charter flights strictly for sushi-eating trips or sushi-Hideo Nomo combos. This was a huge prestige thing, and when the Japanese economy was riding high, this was somewhat common. It was well-reported in the press, and high-end Japanese sushi restaurants in LA were vying for the business. With freshness being a key to Japanese cuisine, suahi/sashimi such as maguro, akami, mirugai, and especially uni, were and are thought of as being better in California than in Japan itself.

On Japanese burgers:

uality-wise, sure. I happen to like wagyu beef, for example, for my burgers. And Japanese bread is outstanding. But I have never had a good American-style hamburger in Japan (outside of a US military base) despite living there for three years. As I wrote below.

As far as burger, no, I have not had a good burger in Japan despite living there for three years. It is a matter of the method of cooking, not the ingrediants. I can see the quality is there, I just have never cared for the taste as much. I am American, so I am partial to the Amwerican-style burger. If you like the MOS Burger or the European-style beef burgers, all the more power to you. But outside of the US, Canada, Mexico, and the Philippines, I am not sure I have ever had a good hamburger, (although one in Toulon, on French bread and then smashed flat, was outstanding, if not quite a classic hamburger).

On the quality of ingredients arguement:

Not really. When an Indonesian chef in Amsterdam tells me the quality of ingredients is why his ricetaffel is better than one in Jakarta, as I am not the expert on Indonesian cooking, I have to go with him. When Japanese come to the US for fresh sashimi, I have to bow to their opinions. And when thinking about it, it rather makes sense to me.

If you put an American chef in Tokyo, using Japanese ingrediants, I am sure, if he or she is good, he or she could make a grat burger. But Japanese tastes do not seem to want an American-style burger. I have served with the Japanese Navy, and from my experience, they do not like the heavy, meaty dishes (I had several Japanese diners almost vomit when they tried a rare steamship round of beef.)

My take on it is that you need a chef from the country from where the cuisine is located and (or at least trained there) then the best quality ingrediants in order to cook good food from that cuisine.

Edited by bonobo

Wake up to yourself chaps. ITS A fuc_kING BURGER!

And your point is?

Sorry if some people like hamburgers and would like to find decent ones in Bangkok.

My point, dear chimp, is that we've had 12 pages on that very subject but have yet again (see any Mexican food thread) got into a pissing contest about how a proper one is made. For someone like me, who literally lives for burger threads on TV, it just gets too much sometimes.

I'm sorry, I think it's best for all concerned if I bow out disgracefully and confine myself to my other favourite topics, such as "Why are all the posts here so negative?" and "If you sleep with an Indian tailor and he charges you for ice, does that make you an authentic fish taco?"

ONION SOUP MIX FOREVER! :)

Edited by polecat

Wake up to yourself chaps. ITS A fuc_kING BURGER!

And your point is?

Sorry if some people like hamburgers and would like to find decent ones in Bangkok.

My point, dear chimp, is that we've had 12 pages on that very subject but have yet again (see any Mexican food thread) got into a pissing contest about how a proper one is made. For someone like me, who literally lives for burger threads on TV, it just gets too much sometimes.

I'm sorry, I think it's best for all concerned if I bow out disgracefully and confine myself to my other favourite topics, such as "Why are all the posts here so negative?" and "If you sleep with an Indian tailor and he charges you for ice, does that make you an authentic fish taco?"

ONION SOUP MIX FOREVER! :D

My point exactly.  If it doesn't interest you, and I am sure that is the case with 95% of tv members, don't read the thread, and certainly don't waste your time posting.

(and for what it matters, a bonobo is not a chimp.  :)  )

people should stop complaining about finding the perfect hamburger and just be happy that you can enjoy any type of burger here in thailand being outside the states. people need to learn to adapt.

I think I agree with you. I can't believe I have allowed myself to read over 450 posts on this topic.

I tried the little-known "all you can eat hamburgers (and french fries)" special at Eat's My World on the 7th floor of Central World today. It was an interesting (and ful-filling) experience. I'll have a FULL review with photos tomorrow.... Now...I need to go lie down... I'm STUFFED!!! :)

Edited by jfchandler

I tried the little-known "all you can eat hamburgers (and french fries)" special at Eat's My World on the 7th floor of Central World today. It was an interesting (and ful-filling) experience. I'll have a FULL review with photos tomorrow.... Now...I need to go lie down... I'm STUFFED!!! :)

dam_n... should've called, I was free today too...

Looking forward to the review though!

maybe someone should go to one of the 4th of july fairs and do a whole review on burgers eaten there...just a thought.

Been there, done that. For an American celebration, the burgers are surprisingly disappointing. Think I'm going to skip this year's.

There may never be a perfect burger in Thailand, but there will be some decent ones - that's the whole point of this thread. People may have different tastes (beetroot, for example, or Mos Burger) - but at least this way we find out which ones stand out and which ones aren't worth bothering with.

you never fail to amaze me "Big" John, you have a nose for special deals. Let me guess, you just happened to be wandering through CW and stumbled across - then into this place?

BTW, will you be going to the 4th of July thing tomorrow? The chili competition does interest me.

You give me too much credit James.... Actually, the Eat's My World mention was the subject of a very brief, one sentence post by another TV member earlier in this thread, just a few days ago... I'd never heard of the place or the offer. But it was enough to catch my eye...and I bumped it up to the top of my list to try...

What's up with the details of 4th of July thing? I haven't really been paying attention on that subject. And the GF was talking last night about wanting to go to Sanam Luang for some kind of Buddhist Holiday thing there in the next few days... Asaraha Buccha...

But I love good chilis.... even so-so chilis... The only decent one I've had was a few batches I made myself at home.... I made the mistake of trying a "chili burger" at one of the Washington Square bars a while back, and it was one of the worst meals I've ever encountered in BKK....

The Fourth of July party I am attending tomorrow is featuring CHILES RELLENO! How's that for an American celebratory meal?!

Before anyone asks, the chiles were grown here from seeds brought from California.

Edited by popshirt

You give me too much credit James.... Actually, the Eat's My World mention was the subject of a very brief, one sentence post by another TV member earlier in this thread, just a few days ago... I'd never heard of the place or the offer. But it was enough to catch my eye...and I bumped it up to the top of my list to try...

What's up with the details of 4th of July thing? I haven't really been paying attention on that subject. And the GF was talking last night about wanting to go to Sanam Luang for some kind of Buddhist Holiday thing there in the next few days... Asaraha Buccha...

But I love good chilis.... even so-so chilis... The only decent one I've had was a few batches I made myself at home.... I made the mistake of trying a "chili burger" at one of the Washington Square bars a while back, and it was one of the worst meals I've ever encountered in BKK....

here you go JFC.. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...ge%26Itemid%3D1

I just got back from the July 4th buffet at the Great American Rib Company on Suk Soi 36.  One of their offereings was burgers, and I have to say, they were quite adequate, especially for buffet fare.  The taste was OK, the texture was fine.  Not the best burger I ahve ever ahd, but it certainly was good for Bangkok!

I have no idea if this is the same burger as in offered from their regular menu or not, but this one (or three, as the case might be) was certainly edible.

450 baht.

Ribs, pork pastrami, brisket, chicken, pulled pork, turkey, burgers, chicken fingers, hot dogs, and side dishes.  And for beer drinkers, Heinekin.  FOr the rest of us, coke or 7up.

It wasn't the best fare I have ever had, but for 450 baht, it was surely adequate.

It's too bad there is not a Carl's Jr. in Bangkok. They make a burger they call the 6 Dollar Burger and you'd be hard pressed to beat it for taste and price at 4 dollars as it is a big burger. There's a number of choices from Quac to Bacon to Bourbon. Interestingly, they make the burgers on a grill and not fried. I've eaten a lot of burgers and I personally believe grilled is much better. I can't think of anyplace I've had a better hamburger. If a whopper rates 5 this burger would rate 9 or 10.

Edited by losworld

It's too bad there is not a Carl's Jr. in Bangkok. They make a burger they call the 6 Dollar Burger and you'd be hard pressed to beat it for taste and price at 4 dollars as it is a big burger. There's a number of choices from Quac to Bacon to Bourbon. Interestingly, they make the burgers on a grill and not fried. I've eaten a lot of burgers and I personally believe grilled is much better. I can't think of anyplace I've had a better hamburger. If a whopper rates 5 this burger would rate 9 or 10.

A 9/10 for a Carl's, Jr./Hardee's $6 burger? You must be joking. As for better burgers, fast food joints Tommy's, In 'n Out and Fatburger all beat Carl's. Also, McD's is introducing an angus burgerto compete with Carl's and BK. Then there are the tens of thousands of hamburger stands and full-service restaurants that easily beat out Carl's as well. On the other hand, I do like Carl's, Jr.'s model burger-eatings ads.

What's the burger joint in West Hollywood, the one that has been there since maybe the 1940s or 50s? A friend took me there about three years ago and I was impressed. They only have maybe 3 kinds of burgers, great fries and pies. Can't remember the name.

Apple Pan???

What's the burger joint in West Hollywood, the one that has been there since maybe the 1940s or 50s? A friend took me there about three years ago and I was impressed. They only have maybe 3 kinds of burgers, great fries and pies. Can't remember the name.

Apple Pan???

Not really West Hollywood, but Cassel's at 6th and Vermont? They grind their own burger meat. Probably the best low-end burger in L.A.

A 9/10 for a Carl's, Jr./Hardee's $6 burger? You must be joking. As for better burgers, fast food joints Tommy's, In 'n Out and Fatburger all beat Carl's. Also, McD's is introducing an angus burgerto compete with Carl's and BK. Then there are the tens of thousands of hamburger stands and full-service restaurants that easily beat out Carl's as well. On the other hand, I do like Carl's, Jr.'s model burger-eatings ads.

Totally disagree. I've had Rotten Ronnie's Angus, Tommy's, In N' Out and Ratburger and the Carl's Jr. regular or mushroom 6 dollar burger beats it hands down. I'm not sure Hardee's is the same as Carl's as I have not eaten there in some time. When was the last time you had a 6 dollar burger?

However, come to think of it I had a burger at The Office in Brentwood once that would have to rate as one of the best. But for Bangkok Carl's could hold its own I believe.

Edited by losworld

Totally disagree. I've had Rotten Ronnie's Angus, Tommy's, In N' Out and Ratburger and the Carl's Jr. regular or mushroom 6 dollar burger beats it hands down. I'm not sure Hardee's is the same as Carl's as I have not eaten there in some time. When was the last time you had a 6 dollar burger?

However, come to think of it I had a burger at The Office in Brentwood once that would have to rate as one of the best. But for Bangkok Carl's could hold its own I believe.

Hardee's used to be a separate chain, and they were pretty good.  The burgers were actually grilled over charcoal.  Now, they are part and parcel to Carl's Jr.  They are Carl's East Coast chain.  The food is exactly the same.

Compared to McD's or Burger Kink, Carl's/Hardee's is lightyears ahead, and while Ican see the affinity for In N' Out, I like Carl's/Hardee's $6 burger better.  I think In N' Out might be better quality, but I like the $6 taste and heft better.

Apple Pan???

That's it, Apple Pan, around since 1927, and in West LA, not West H'wood. Tasty burgers I thought, and an interesting people-watching spot.

It was your "pies" reference that did it... Not too many good burger places around L.A. also have a deserved reputation for their homemade pies.... and WLA and WHW are pretty interchangeable... :)

Apple Pan???

That's it, Apple Pan, around since 1947, and in West LA, not West H'wood. Tasty burgers I thought, and an interesting people-watching spot.