Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bully's is NOT marinated. It is pretty much an excellent American cheeseburger.

I should be more specific. In America, this would just be an average cheeseburger of the non-fast food variety - something like Clown Alley in San Francisco (was 20 years ago).

For Thailand, it is excellent. :)

That's about right. Bully's burgers are about like a homemade burger slapped together out of supermarket ground beef in the States. Not that that's a bad thing, but for it to be hailed as a great burger seems a bit odd.

Exactly, but this is Thailand (TIT).

That's about right. Bully's burgers are about like a homemade burger slapped together out of supermarket ground beef in the States. Not that that's a bad thing, but for it to be hailed as a great burger seems a bit odd.

Considering supermarket beef in the US is about 5 grades better than anything in Thailand, I'd settle for that!

You had a second Bully's burger, after I left, to drown your pool playing sorrows????

Hope you left the bun behind!!!!

Nope - downed every last bit. Fortunately, on the scale today, I'd only gone up about 300 grams... today back to the streetside gai yang...

I'm literally eating a Bully's burger right now and man it is yummy and hitting the spot but the meat is well-done, maybe a little dry. Could I get a medium-rare burger in Bangkok? The bacon is crispy, the toppings minimal. Fries are good and who orders a burger for the coleslaw? Anyway I like this place so I'll be coming back. Maybe I'll try a different burger next time. Never had a dry BBQ burger, that would be sad :). Oooh chili burger. hel_l yes. Peace y'all.

I'm literally eating a Bully's burger right now and man it is yummy and hitting the spot but the meat is well-done, maybe a little dry. Could I get a medium-rare burger in Bangkok? The bacon is crispy, the toppings minimal. Fries are good and who orders a burger for the coleslaw? Anyway I like this place so I'll be coming back. Maybe I'll try a different burger next time. Never had a dry BBQ burger, that would be sad :D. Oooh chili burger. hel_l yes. Peace y'all.

Karen, thanks for that, how about a photo of you eating your burger? just to add some life to this thread. :):D

Has anyone tried Larrys Dive Soi 22 , Menu sounds good

Never tried myself ,, not been for a while

Gourmet Burgers in Paradisebullet3.pngTopC.I.A. BurgerLarry's famous 180g ground beef burger with lettuce, tomato & onion on sesame seed bun served with french fries.B. 250Tiajuana BurgerLarry's famous 180g ground beef burger with cheddar cheese & jalapenos on a sesame seed bun served with french fries.B. 285Costa Nostra BurgerLarry's famous Italian uncle made us an offer: 180g beef burger with mushroom & mozzarella on a sesame seed bun with french fries.B. 285Hawaian BurgerLarry's cousin "Kumonaneatmo" made this one with Teriyaki sauce, pineapple & cheddar cheese on a sesame seed bun with french fries.B. 285Double Fatboy AdderAdd an additional 180g beef patty for any style of burger above

Went to Villa and bought the 4x113g (quarter pound) burgers. Made up all the fixins (bacon, egg, cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion) and made a couple of burgers.

They weren't bad - but the beef was not very good - perhaps because I fried the patties as I have no grill. I suspect it would be much better if the beef was fresh.

OT, as I mentioned before, I like those Villa burgers for homemade hamburgers.

They're a good size portion, pre-formed, and easy to prepare. On top of that, I buy Villa's Remia brand 375g jar of Dijon mustard for about 74 baht, jars of dill pickles, large tomatoes for slicing and some Chinese cabbage in place of iceberg lettuce.

They also have a decent brand (ZGI Cafe) of locally baked hamburger buns that actually have some flavor and texture, not the bland whitebread style otherwise so common. A big bag goes for 55 baht.

Fry up or grill the burgers to your own style... I like to season liberally with a lot of ground black pepper and garlic powder, and nothing else... Add Dijon, fresh cut tomato slices and the rest...

It's better than about 90% of the BKK restaurant hamburgers to be found out there...

Which ones do I like better than homemade???

--ChokChai for their ground steak burgers at a great price.

--Bully's and Outback Steakhouse for the size and taste of their burger patties (and Bully's for their good french fries)

--and from a while back, the Steak Burger at the Bus Stop on Suk Soi 4, which literally is a slab of grilled steak (not ground meat) between two pieces of bread or bun.

Finally had a chance to go Chokchai Steak house on Sukhumvit 23 - hadn't been here in a few years.

Thought I hadn't tried the burger here, so I ordered it - and then discovered I have definitely had it before.

post-15263-1243681761_thumb.jpg

This burger is definitely marinated/seasoned. But at 160 baht plus 10% it isn't bad value. Decent fries, cole slaw was nice and creamy but barely two bites' worth. Unlike in the US, where you get heaping portions of side dishes, in Thailand it seems these are only meant for plate decoration!

I would definitely rate the burgers at Bullys over this - and given a choice between this burger and the Double Double at Triple O (at double the price too) I'd take the Double Double hands down.

Anyhow, not quite satisfied with the burger, I decided to give them another chance - and tried the special of the day, Chokchai Dry Aging Prime Rib with Sesame Soy Sauce. For 280 baht (plus 10%) it was worth a try.

post-15263-1243682035_thumb.jpg

I asked for medium to medium-rare - and got it almost rare. Take a look at the color of the steak and you know they didn't cook it right - when I ask for medium-rare or rare, I still expect the steak to be almost black on the outside. If i didn't tell you that this was beef, you could easily mistake it for pork.

As usual - chewy like a tire. As for the potato - the amount of sour cream, chives and bacon there could've fit in a thimble - barely enough for one bite of potato.

The good thing about Chokchai is that it's not crowded in the afternoon, and they've got wifi (or else I'm poaching the signal from the Crossbar across the street). Service is usually polite and efficient - and the atmosphere is pretty relaxing.

But if your primary concern is a good steak, or burger, I'd go elsewhere.

OT, I'll agree and disagree about some things here re ChokChai Asoke...

Re their steaks, indeed, I have noticed they tend to cook on the rare side, which means, to get what you want, you often have to order more on the well-done side, than what you'd normally plan/expect. Of course, if they deliver a steak that's too rare, you can always send it back for further cooking.

I had that experience once with my GF's prime rib. It arrived RARE, and I mean, REALLY RARE.... But I must have escaped that curse, because my mediums have arrived pretty much medium rare, which is what I'd choose. At 300 to 400 baht or so for a 400 or 500 gram steak, I can put up with such variations.

I'd also agree, of course, about the portions on the side dishes, if they can be called that. But I'd argue that's endemic to Thailand. Side dishes like cold slaw here are merely what you said, some color and decoration on the plate, and rarely served with enough quantity to qualify as a portion. That wouldn't be the way I'd do it, but if you're going to knock ChokChai for that, then it's going to be a long list of places on your s--t list.

But I must say, all of the steaks I've ordered there -- the medium grade, dry aged prime rib and blade steaks -- which means not the cheapest and not the most expensive -- have been fine in terms of tenderness. Not falling off the bone tender like stewed meat, but not chewy chewy filled with sinew and gristle either. I never found them to be excessively chewy or out of the normal range for steak.

Re their hamburgers, the price is a good deal. But what I really like there - what what separates them from Bully's and the rest -- is the TEXTURE of their ground steak burgers, which I'd argue are noticeably different from the texture of hamburgers. I like that, and I don't find it elsewhere.

About the butter and sour cream on the baked taters, yes, I had that same experience also... in terms of miniscule portions. But, I had absolutely no problem with asking the wait staff for more, and they were happy to bring more, no problem. It'd be nice if they just brought a bowl of sour cream, and let me ladle it on myself. But that's just not the custom here.

Lastly 1, I like their Ummm brand ice cream, which is pleasantly refreshing and fresh in its flavor. The GF likes the fresh milk flavor (never saw that in the U.S.), but I like the rum raisin flavor, which otherwise isn't so easy to find here in LOS. And at (I think) 50 baht for a generous sized bowl (probably the equivalent of two scoops), it's a decent value.

Lastly 2, One other unusual thing about this restaurant is the quality and sufficiency of their service. Every time I've been there, the service from the male supervisors and the female servers has been first-rate. Attentive, cooperative, but not fussy or bothersome. Never hard to find. Never have to wait or call.... I only wish every restaurant in Thailand did such a good job in that regard.

Re their steaks, indeed, I have noticed they tend to cook on the rare side, which means, to get what you want, you often have to order more on the well-done side, than what you'd normally plan/expect. Of course, if they deliver a steak that's too rare, you can always send it back for further cooking.

I specifically said medium to medium-rare LOL. They're a steakhouse - they should know better.

To save the hassle, if there is a next time, tell them a percentage - this is the way it's actually done by Thais. I am going to specify 40 next time and see if they can manage that... but gonna have to teach them what Chicago-style is too!

I'd also agree, of course, about the portions on the side dishes, if they can be called that. But I'd argue that's endemic to Thailand. Side dishes like cold slaw here are merely what you said, some color and decoration on the plate, and rarely served with enough quantity to qualify as a portion. That wouldn't be the way I'd do it, but if you're going to knock ChokChai for that, then it's going to be a long list of places on your s--t list.

Well, I did say "Thailand" :) This is definitely not a Chokchai problem...

Lastly 2, One other unusual thing about this restaurant is the quality and sufficiency of their service. Every time I've been there, the service from the male supervisors and the female servers has been first-rate. Attentive, cooperative, but not fussy or bothersome. Never hard to find. Never have to wait or call.... I only wish every restaurant in Thailand did such a good job in that regard.

I will agree with that.

The best burgers in thailand are in Ban Phe, opposite Koh Samet Island Rayong province. The place is Bedrock Guesthouse Bar and Grill. The burgers are home made Aussie style. Even has beetroot

website is www bedrockguesthousebargrill com

rgds

downunderontop

The best burgers in thailand are in Ban Phe, opposite Koh Samet Island Rayong province. The place is Bedrock Guesthouse Bar and Grill. The burgers are home made Aussie style. Even has beetroot

website is www bedrockguesthousebargrill com

rgds

downunderontop

Great, can I order them in Bangkok (without beet root) as per the topic of this thread.

James, don't rag on downunder... :D

1. He's a newbie.

2. He was just being "expansive", considering the large number of beetroot burger lovers out there...

After all, if you're an Aussie, geography is an inconsequential matter when it comes to finding a good beetroot burger.

I always thought, though, that beetroot burgers ought to be cheaper than regular hamburgers (even though they are NOT) because they're using the vegetable beetroot instead of BEEF...right???

How would you like your beetroot cooked, Sir?? Medium rare??? :)

A small American-owned pub called Shhh in Happyland (soi 1, nearby the popular 7/11 which comes after all the Lumpini Ville condos, it's also close to RBAC) offers a pretty good deal on burgers. Two huge real ground beef patties with plenty of cheese and home made fries on the side.. my personal favourite especially with bacon. Without fries the price was 119 baht I think. He also makes delicious beef burritos for 89 baht. Big Leo is 89 baht :) And no, I'm not the owner or American for that matter...

Edited by heykki

A small American-owned pub called Shhh in Happyland (soi 1, nearby the popular 7/11 which comes after all the Lumpini Ville condos, it's also close to RBAC) offers a pretty good deal on burgers. Two huge real ground beef patties with plenty of cheese and home made fries on the side.. my personal favourite especially with bacon. Without fries the price was 119 baht I think. He also makes delicious beef burritos for 89 baht. Big Leo is 89 baht :) And no, I'm not the owner or American for that matter...

Are they real "American" burgers?  I mean, no filler, no marinades, etc.  Just good ground beef?

Sounds good. I'll have to check that place out and give it a try.

Sorry, do you mean Soi 1 of Soi On Nut??? I'm not clear on the location description.

And I've never heard of SHHH......

Sorry, do you mean Soi 1 of Soi On Nut??? I'm not clear on the location description.

And I've never heard of SHHH......

JFC, Happyland is near to The Mall at Bangkapi. So to get there you need to get on to Lat Phrao.

JFC, Happyland is near to The Mall at Bangkapi. So to get there you need to get on to Lat Phrao.

OUCH!!! That's a ways away from my local stomping grounds... But thanks much for the info, Mr. Toad.

Last time I went to The Mall, it was an hourlong-ish trip... up the MRT to Lad Phrao, and then out the main road (with lots of traffic) to The Mall.... :)

PS - I always thought Happyland was one of those soapy massage places...with the happy endings. :D

Real American burgers, yes.. you can request them as you want as it's a really small place. Nice pool table and good music, though. Far away and not so easy to reach for those not living in the area. 1-2 km from The Mall Bangkapi, but the soi is just opposite to the mall.

OUCH!!! That's a ways away from my local stomping grounds... But thanks much for the info, Mr. Toad.

Last time I went to The Mall, it was an hourlong-ish trip... up the MRT to Lad Phrao, and then out the main road (with lots of traffic) to The Mall.... :)

PS - I always thought Happyland was one of those soapy massage places...with the happy endings. :D

Traffic is a nightmare in that area. From Sukhumvit you might find taking the river taxi quicker to get to Bang Kapi.

The thread that would not die!

I'm not saying it's the best burger in Bankok, but I had Piri-Piri's double bacon cheeseburger platter today. Darned good. Thick burger, spicy sauce, smallish order of fries, but also a side of salad. The rest of their menu looked intriguing, as well. It's on the food court floor at Paragon. Price about in line of Mos Burger. I also tried Triple O a few days ago. "Okay".

I've tried Triple O twice. Good burger, but at 200-300 baht a pop, perhaps not the best value. Value-wise, hard to beat the 49 baht Mosburger, which has better buns and more flavor overall, for my tastes. Still, I would eat a Triple O any day - as long as someone else was paying :)

Real American burgers, yes.. you can request them as you want as it's a really small place. Nice pool table and good music, though. Far away and not so easy to reach for those not living in the area. 1-2 km from The Mall Bangkapi, but the soi is just opposite to the mall.

I hate the traffic there, but I would take the trip just to try out the burgers.

I am going to the US on Monday for 10 days.  First stop out of the airport:  Fuddruckers!

I'm taking a quick trip back to L.A. starting Saturday...

Any burger recommendations... besides the obvious.... TOMMY'S!!!!!!!! :)

I'm not sure Chili's would be on my list for hamburgers...

Never had a Fudruckers.... Never even seen around L.A.

I'm taking a quick trip back to L.A. starting Saturday...

Any burger recommendations... besides the obvious.... TOMMY'S!!!!!!!! :)

I'm not sure Chili's would be on my list for hamburgers...

Never had a Fudruckers.... Never even seen around L.A.

The best burgers are those you make in your back yard.  But Fuddruckers and Red Robin sure aren't bad!

Here are some SoCal Fuddruckers locations:

Buena Park

7802 Orangethorpe Avenue, Buena Park, CA 90621 

Phone: (714) 739-8801 Corporate location

Burbank

221 North San Fernando Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502 

Phone: (818) 848-4856 Corporate location

Concord

1975 Diamond Blvd, E-260, Concord, CA 94520 

Phone: (925) 825-1443 Franchise location

Lake Forest

23621 El Toro Road, Lake Forest, CA 92630 

Phone: (949) 830-7210 Corporate location

26771 Rancho Pkwy., Lake Forest, CA 92630 

Phone: (949) 597-2071 Corporate location

Lakewood

5229 Clark Ave, Lakewood, CA 90712 

Phone: (562) 408-1555 Corporate location

Los Angeles

10250 Santa Monica Blvd. FC8, Los Angeles, CA 90069 

Phone: (310) 277-7756 Franchise location

Ontario

4423 East Mills Circle, Ontario, CA 91764 

Phone: (909) 980-4089 Corporate location

Sherman Oaks

15301 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 

Phone: (818) 995-4552 Franchise location

Thousand Oaks

401 N. Moorpark Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360 

Phone: (805) 497-0684 Corporate location

I go for the burgers, but their other sandwich selections are also quite good.