Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

Here's the burger info re Home Run...

post-53787-0-01751300-1310634307_thumb.j

post-53787-0-44138200-1310634331_thumb.j

Here's the burger info re Dukes...

post-53787-0-35115600-1310634400_thumb.j

post-53787-0-85757300-1310634427_thumb.j

Between the two, people looking at the photos probably would say that Home Run's burger looks better... And I might agree... But unfortunately, it doesn't TASTE better...IMHO.

And... I haven't tried it...because my wife's been on a Korean food jag lately...but let's not forget Iron Fairies in Thong Lor also...which has gotten food reviews for its burgers...

post-53787-0-34782100-1310634759_thumb.j

Edited by jfchandler

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I will play along_ron at home run bar does a really nice burger.

James, I've tried the hamburger there at Home Run, and as much as I had high hopes for the place, I wasn't much impressed. I found it pretty mediocre...

Dukes at the Emporium definitely is better... But these things are, as pointed out, somewhat a subjective matter of opinion. Everyone has their tastes.

Some here in the TV community think anything with beetroot and fried egg on it makes a great hamburger. I'm happily not one of them.

I agree it is about personal taste. I prefer the Home Run because they use quality ingredients like ground chuck.

Regardless of personal taste we have come a long way in Bangkok on hamburgers, almost the same long road for Mexican food. Thus it beggars belief for me that you see all of those expats at the BK and Mickey Ds. Places like Home Run, Duke, Big Mango, Chalie Brown, Soi 8 Pub, Great American Ribs etc. Deliver a vastly better product and atmosphere for. Not more baht. On reflection maybe it is best for we residents that the great unwashed hordes do not discover the best places for burgers. let them eat Big macs I say

Well, actually, Home Run claims, as you can see on their menu above, that they use Angus beef... I believe Duke's says on their menu they use ground sirloin...

That aside, in my ordering of both, the Home Run burger tasted like a burger that had been fixed in Thailand, whereas the Duke's burger tasted like a burger from the States comparable to something from a place like In and Out...

For 349 baht per order at Home Run vs. 150 to 250 baht at Duke's, HR's offering just isn't worth the difference from a cost or taste perspective...IMHO.

Edited by jfchandler

Well, actually, Home Run claims, as you can see on their menu above, that they use Angus beef... I believe Duke's says on their menu they use ground sirloin...

That aside, in my ordering of both, the Home Run burger tasted like a burger that had been fixed in Thailand, whereas the Duke's burger tasted like a burger from the States comparable to something from a place like In and Out...

For 349 baht per order at Home Run vs. 150 to 250 baht at Duke's, HR's offering just isn't worth the difference from a cost or taste perspective...IMHO.

Well actually JFC for a foodie you don't know much about the cow. Angus is a type of animal, chuck is a part of the animal.

Many (maybe most) good burger places like In-and-Out or 5 Guys back in the States use ground chuck because it has what is considered an optimum fat content for burgers. But I will just disagree with you on how the Home Run burger in Bangkok tastes compared to the ones from Dukes. Hopefully we can agree that our choices are much better these days and there is not much reason to go for that mass produced stuff Ronald Mac peddles.

I think I'm pretty aware of the difference between what Angus and chuck are.... without your advice on it..

I was simply repeating and pointing out the way each of the restaurants advertises their product: Home Run saying Angus, and Duke's saying sirloin.

I think I'm pretty aware of the difference between what Angus and chuck are.... without your advice on it..

I was simply repeating and pointing out the way each of the restaurants advertises their product: Home Run saying Angus, and Duke's saying sirloin.

Hmmm ... ok.

Hmmm ... ok.

Just an aside, sirloin would have less fat and would be less juicy than ground chuck. I like Duke's burgers, but sometimes they are a bit too dry. Maybe it is the sirloin (which is very good, so do not get me wrong).

I like both burger-dukes and home run, also liked white spot before it got char-grilled. Beet root, got that once at soi 8 bar, no thanks. John, you writing a book on burgers mate? Lol,

Agree about home runs website-if that's what you call it.

Ditto on Home Run's web site... since I know the proprietor is a member here...

The photo pan thing of the restaurant interior is a nice, modern website feature. But it doesn't take the place of providing useful information that people need and want when they go to a business' website....like an online menu, for example....

I should say, I though the establishment itself was fine and nicely done... And we had a decent meal and friendly service there... But as I said above, unfortunately, their hamburger didn't float my boat.

In thinking back re that, two other reasons I didn't come away pleased..

--At least at the time of our meal, they were serving their actual burger patties in the almost round meatball kind of shape, as opposed to the flat wide patty style, which I prefer for burgers (because it better allows the blending of the various ingredients in each bite) and which just makes the burger easier to eat.

And secondly, their fries were, if I recollect right, the seasoned potato wedges style, as opposed to the thinner, traditional semi-crispy deep fried style, which again, is my preference for accompanying a burger.

Duke's, for me, does it right by serving up the flat wider patty for their burgers and the more traditional style of <deleted>, which often/usually come out blisteringly hot.

BTW, the burgers at the House of Blues in Siam Square are quite good and substantial as well.... I liked them quite a bit based on taste and ingredients, though it seems people are put off from that place by its high pricing...even for burgers...and its nightime rep as a nightclub...

The Outback Steakhouse in Siam Center also does a decent hamburger for a decent price, particularly when they're including it as part of their lunch specials menu...

I also used to like the ChokChai Steakhouse burgers....and I still do like, for fast food, the burgers served up by the hamburger shop outlet they have on the highway enroute to Pakchong, where they char grill the burgers before your eyes... Unfortunately, lately, when I've tried them at the Asoke branch of their traditional restaurant, the buns came out kind of stale like they'd been sitting in a bag on a shelf somewhere for some weeks....

ChokChai has, meanwhile, opened a new branch of their burger stand in the basement of Siam Paragon actually within the boundaries of the Gourmet Market grocery store there.... I've been meaning to try their offerings, but haven't gotten to it yet... There's something about a freshly char grilled hamburger, as opposed to a fried patty or one that's been pre-cooked and then re-heated upon ordering.

Edited by jfchandler

Ditto on Home Run's web site... since I know the proprietor is a member here...

The photo pan thing of the restaurant interior is a nice, modern website feature. But it doesn't take the place of providing useful information that people need and want when they go to a business' website....like an online menu, for example....

I should say, I though the establishment itself was fine and nicely done... And we had a decent meal and friendly service there... But as I said above, unfortunately, their hamburger didn't float my boat.

In thinking back re that, two other reasons I didn't come away pleased..

--At least at the time of our meal, they were serving their actual burger patties in the almost round meatball kind of shape, as opposed to the flat wide patty style, which I prefer for burgers (because it better allows the blending of the various ingredients in each bite) and which just makes the burger easier to eat.

And secondly, their fries were, if I recollect right, the seasoned potato wedges style, as opposed to the thinner, traditional semi-crispy deep fried style, which again, is my preference for accompanying a burger.

Duke's, for me, does it right by serving up the flat wider patty for their burgers and the more traditional style of <deleted>, which often/usually come out blisteringly hot.

BTW, the burgers at the House of Blues in Siam Square are quite good and substantial as well.... I liked them quite a bit based on taste and ingredients, though it seems people are put off from that place by its high pricing...even for burgers...and its nightime rep as a nightclub...

The Outback Steakhouse in Siam Center also does a decent hamburger for a decent price, particularly when they're including it as part of their lunch specials menu...

I also used to like the ChokChai Steakhouse burgers....and I still do like, for fast food, the burgers served up by the hamburger shop outlet they have on the highway enroute to Pakchong, where they char grill the burgers before your eyes... Unfortunately, lately, when I've tried them at the Asoke branch of their traditional restaurant, the buns came out kind of stale like they'd been sitting in a bag on a shelf somewhere for some weeks....

ChokChai has, meanwhile, opened a new branch of their burger stand in the basement of Siam Paragon actually within the boundaries of the Gourmet Market grocery store there.... I've been meaning to try their offerings, but haven't gotten to it yet... There's something about a freshly char grilled hamburger, as opposed to a fried patty or one that's been pre-cooked and then re-heated upon ordering.

So you are BK guy rather than Mickey D's. Just joking.

You ought to talk to Ron the proprietor of Home Run. You have a similar interest in good food. I really hope Ron makes it out there at the Home Run but I fear his success is going to have much more to do with being able to overcome the out of the way location than it is to do with the grub which is excellent and from the many meals I have had there always fresh and with high quality ingredients. If you knew Ron you'd know he wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree about the location issue with Home Run, though it's not THAT difficult to get to if one wants to go there... But most customers, on the other hand, aren't exactly going to just happen to be passing by...

But on the other hand, they're making their push as a sports bar that shows a lot of televised sporting events and then of course has the drinks to go a long with it... That serves to pull a certain segment of customers.... apart from whatever they're doing with their food menu.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Tried the burgers at Duke's last weekend. I got a blue cheese burger, my friend a regular cheeseburger. Beef portion was generous, but neither of us particularly like the taste of the beef. I don't think the meat itself was of inferior quality, just something about the way it was seasoned, rather salty. Bun was of a strange consistency as well, homemade I'm sure but not a good match for the burger IMO. We agreed, neither of us would go back to Duke's for the burgers.

Same week I tried Firehouse on Suk Soi 11. Huge portions of beef, either ground Thai-French ribeye or black angus. Cheapest burger is 195 baht, choice of several cheeses as add-ons *(80B more), enjoyed one with cheddar. Friends had the Sliders, three mini burgers with cheese and caramalized onions, served with dips. Wasn't so impressed with the dips but overall the burgers beat Duke's IMO.

The Firehouse Premium Burger is great if you're going gourmet. I still prefer Mosburgers, for the pricem cuz for me 200 baht and up is just too expensive for a burger. I don't need a supersized burger, prefer the smaller size at Mosburger; can always order two if I'm really hungry.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

Are Bangkok Burgers char-broiled?

There was a local TV food show, on TV5 yesterday, and they went to a bunch of burger places including the BBC on Thong Lor 10. At BBC they were cooking burgers on a flat-top and using a cover, which is a typical cooking method (but not the only one obviously) at some of the "best of..." places in the U.S. It looks like they have a promotion, any regular (the smaller of the two sizes available) burger for 199 baht, 11 AM - 2 PM; Mon. - Fri., which represents a 15% ~ 30% discount.

Edited by lomatopo

Went to Bangkok Burger Company the other day. Burger was very good, Bloody Mary was Great and they were palying "Pulp Fiction" on the TV. Overall a Good Time.

Going to have to try that place next time I am in Thonglor.

I recently discovered the Chok Chai Steakhouse in the basement food court of the renovated Central Lad Phrao.

My goodness, it was moment of revelation.

I had not tried them before. I had the Wagyu Beefburger with bacon and REAL cheese!, with a side of fries.

It was fantastic... Juicy and tasty. And they have real mayonaise.

Fresh lettuce, excellent ground beef, good buns.

220 for the basic Wagyu burger or 250 for the whole lot.

It brought me joy. Loved it.

Forget about all these fast food burger places, because they fry their burgers to a frazzle. Go to any Sizzler chain and ask the burger to be cooked medium. If you do not, they will cook it well done by default, and it will taste like a block of wood. Then go to their salad bar and top up burger with anything that takes your fancy - i recommend the blue cheese.

Forget about all these fast food burger places, because they fry their burgers to a frazzle. Go to any Sizzler chain and ask the burger to be cooked medium. If you do not, they will cook it well done by default, and it will taste like a block of wood. Then go to their salad bar and top up burger with anything that takes your fancy - i recommend the blue cheese.

Sizzler is OK, but you have obviously not tried the Chok Chai burgers at Central Lad Phrao. Most definitely not well done.

The Tavern gets my vote. As you said you can stand right next to girl as she cooks it. The owner is from the states and the meat seasoning is just salt and pepper. The meat is French/Thai which I favor over the bland Aussie beef. For the fries the potatoes are hand sliced. Recommend that if you like crispy fries you tell up fr

• 2 months later...

Been to the Burger Factory in Ekkamai twice last week. By far the best burger I have had in Bangkok and I've tried most of them. Duke's, Firehouse, Bangkok Burger Company etc. Good service too and one of the owners mans the kitchen (which you can see through a glass wall. Everything was spot on and they threw in a couple of free starters as well. Highly recommend it.

Went to Bangkok Burger Company the other day at Mega BangNa. Wife ordered the Aussie burger and enjoyed it, it certainly looked good. I had the Bacon Cheese Burger which was one of the worst burgers I've had in my life. The Beef pattie was huge but just ground beef slop that could have been dog food in another life. The bun was still dough.The bacon tasted like it wasnt real bacon and it was overcooked. Just a tasteless piece of rubbish to me. I couldnt finish it.

There are no kids burgers or kids meals so we were forced to buy a huge plate of chicken strips for our 4 year old that I ended up eating in lieu of the crappy burger.

By the time you add in drinks, curly fries etc the bill was 1500b for 3 of us, 2 adults and a child. Way too expensive for what is on offer.

Will never go back.......

• Like 1

Went to Bangkok Burger Company the other day at Mega BangNa. Wife ordered the Aussie burger and enjoyed it, it certainly looked good. I had the Bacon Cheese Burger which was one of the worst burgers I've had in my life. The Beef pattie was huge but just ground beef slop that could have been dog food in another life. The bun was still dough.The bacon tasted like it wasnt real bacon and it was overcooked. Just a tasteless piece of rubbish to me. I couldnt finish it.

There are no kids burgers or kids meals so we were forced to buy a huge plate of chicken strips for our 4 year old that I ended up eating in lieu of the crappy burger.

By the time you add in drinks, curly fries etc the bill was 1500b for 3 of us, 2 adults and a child. Way too expensive for what is on offer.

Will never go back.......

Have to Agree Gino... went there on wednesday. Had a great meal at the Thong Lo branch before and took the wife to the new one in Bangna... like chalk and cheese.. This Mega Bangna one was no where near the standard of what I had with them before. Like you we left halfway through.. No check back from the waitress either(pet hate of mine)

I just hope they don't lose themselves in expanding their brand too quickly

Edited by mightyharriss

IMO, the burgers at Sizzler are some of the best in Thailand (which is not saying a lot), but I do not want to have to pay for the salad bar too - as I am too full to eat both - and you can not order them separately. I used to go there for burgers before they raised their prices quite a bit, but not any more.

Edited by Ulysses G.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried Carls Jr at Suk 24 BKK. Western Burger 185 baht. It was OK, not bad, but the actual hambuger component looked like it had fillers. Not as good as I hoped. Bullys is a better burger for 200 baht and is a platter. The only bad thing at Bullys is a bottle of water is 80 baht, and even local beer way overpriced. Before the guy that claimed to be the manager/owner seems to have an alcohol problem, can be very nasty. Carls gives you as many refills as you need, self service.

Retro Cafe at Queen Sirikit Center has a wagyu beef burger platter for 150 baht that is tough to beat. The reg burger is also decent for about 100 baht. Hav not tried the place on Ekamai soi 10 yet.