Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I think it's time to get back to actual burger "trip reports"...and photos as well....

It's one thing to just say... such and such place was good...period... and nothing more... But that doesn't really help any of the readers here decide what's worth their time....and money...and taste.

So, to put in another way, get off your buns and bring on the beef!!! :o

I like Mosburger, but it is hardly a hamburger. THen again, I also like a Big Mac or a Whopper, but these, to me, are what I consider "beefy sandwiches." A "real" hamburger is 100% fresh ground beef, with only salt and pepper added before cooking. What you put on it is entirely different and can vary tremendously.

I guess the Whopper is technically a hamburger, but it is pretty low on the totem pole.

Previously, the best burger I have had in Thailand was at the Chockchai ranch on the way to Korat. It is merely an acceptbable burger. Following recommendations in this thread, however, I tried BBQKing today. It is now my top Thai burger, albeit the burger is not great, just good. The bun and fixings were nice, and the burger was well-prepared, but I think the quality of the beef is not that great. A great burger needs great quality freshly ground beef. No frozen patties, no butcher scraps. But for Thailand, this burger is pretty darn good. And the Tater Tots were a real welcome treat. I miss these while I am in Thailand, and these were done just right.

I also tried the ribs. THey didn't look real good, and I prefer a dry rib to a wet one, but the taste was excellent. Looks can be deceiving, I guess. The meat was tender, and the sauce really quite excellent.

I will be making the trip back to try some of the other offerings.

Got to recommend that American-diner place in Central World - can't remember the name. Awesome burgers and potato skins; I had a great visit until a bunch of kids fired up the communal playstation...... :o

Garage.

Funnily enough, one of those kids might have been my daughter :D But the other kids will have been the kids of the owner, and this happens only when they're not too busy.

Will try the BBQ Sandwich King burger next time - may have to pass this week though as I have a new staff member starting on Wednesday.

Got to recommend that American-diner place in Central World - can't remember the name. Awesome burgers and potato skins; I had a great visit until a bunch of kids fired up the communal playstation...... :o

I tried the burger there and found it pretty bad. The shake was decent, but I was very, very disappointed with the burger.

I wish Fuddruckers would open a restaurant here.  Best burger of any chain I have found.

Will try the BBQ Sandwich King burger next time - may have to pass this week though as I have a new staff member starting on Wednesday.

Indeed, BBQ King does a pretty good and very generously sized burger, though the restaurant's location is a bit of a drive outside the center of town. Below the top two photos are my recent Metro Burger there, for 209 baht. The third photo is the menu/web site photo of the 219 baht version that includes cheese and bacon (which I chose to skip for my order).

Need to also add, apart from the very good BBQ ribs on the menu, the freshly prepared BBQ beans and cole slaw (special add-ons to the permanent menu) are both outstanding and very addictive. They tend to be available on the weekends and often sell out then, so check or call the restaurant first if you're wanting either of them during the week, so you won't be disappointed.

Owner Mark is a gracious host and will go out of his way to make your order the way you want it. On the most recent visit, we also tried his smoked chicken quesadillas for 169 baht and found a very tasty favorite with plenty of melted cheese and chicken inside.

Note: BBQ King's regular burgers and sandwiches come with the standard side order of tater puffs (AKA tater tots), and NOT french fries.

http://www.bbqsandwichking.co.th/menu.html

post-53787-1222687468_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1222687488_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1222687600_thumb.jpg

Do notice in the #1 recipe above that it actually calls the burger basic... with the onion and bacon right inside the patty (becae that's not the norm).
Or you could interpret that to mean this is a basic - ie, normal - burger recipe. Ultimately I don't care - you can use your terms and I'll use mine :o

LOL. As far as I can tell, that means "basic burger WITH..." not "this is a basic burger".

It means this is a basic burger, and the rest describes how. But not THE basic burger, as if there were one, just A basic burger :D

Sounds like we're developing a consensus here: as I reported in my review earlier in this thread, I thought MOS had great fries.... fresh and tasty, not too salty... OneT, I thought the ones I had were just normal cut, not thick cut, but not shoestring either....

Sab, when I was there at MOS, I had two of their burgers, and the regular one I had didn't come with tonkatsu sauce at all, which would be the brownish, worstershire-type sauce, but rather was a not particularly tasty tomatoey slather of stuff. Put that together with a patty that tasted more like meat loaf to me, and it just didn't float my boat.

But I will confess, speaking personally, I love many varieties of "fusion" food as a native of Los Angeles, where all the different ethnic influences tend to blend together and create some vary interesting eating variations. So if someone wants to take the basic American hamburger and make it GOOD or BETTER thru adaptation, I'm all for that as an option.

Somebody around these parts, as I recall, is doing a blue cheese burger with the blue cheese as a stuffing inside the beef patty. Now that's an adaptation I'd be interested to try. Same with a good guacamole burger, bring it on. But tomato sauce???? Naaaaaahhhhhhhh......

Don't know if it's the one you mean, but the Roadhouse does a blue cheese burger. I haven't tried it but everything else I've ordered there has been very good.

Can't remember a blue cheese burger at Roadhouse - especially not as a stuffing inside. I did have their burger though and it was pretty good on the whole - but seasoned/marinated, as I recall.

The food is quite good at Roadhouse - I personally prefer their smoked beef brisket.

It may not be the only one stuffed with blue cheese....but I think the one I saw and was thinking of was at the Woodstock Bar on Soi Thong Lor 13.... not exactly a traditional burger either...given that it's bunless.... :o

Black n’Da Blues Burger B.255

Blackened bunless hamburger (i.e. there is no bun), stuffed with blue cheese & topped with grilled onions and gravy.

Ok, I stopped by MOSburger on Sunday. I couldn't resist the Teriyaki burger but figured I needed to try the MOScheeseburger. The cheese wasn't quite melted and because the sauce is not warm it wasn't going to melt. The taste of the MOScheesburger was ok, but doesn't compare with the Double Whopper w/cheese and bacon at BKK BKs. I doubt I'd order the MOSburger again but the Teriyaki burger. That is another story. Maybe I need to make a point to try a different one of their burgers on each trip as a side or prelude to my Teriyaki burger. :o

I had a delicious burger at O'Reilley's (SalaDaeng BTS) but it was very expensive 280bt for the US Angus special with all the trimmings. I asked ofr it rare and it came well done... but it was the best patty, i've had in Bkk to date. The fries were mediocre and the onion rings terrible.

While I was waiting, a European man became quite upset, complaining that he wanted to call the police because he felt he was being robbed. The staff seemed to call the police but 15 minutes later the man got tired of waiting and started to leave.

The waiter tried to grab his arm but he freed himself and walked out the door. The waiter then ran behind the bar, grabbed a half filled bottle of vodca by the neck, ran out after the farang and proceeded to clubber him over the head! Then a waitress ran out with a what looked like the heavy end of a cue stick....

I thnk the man paid his bill but I gotta say I was unimpressed by the the show of bviolence on behalf of the staff for what couldn't have been all that much money. The police never arrived.

Anyway, when I got my check bin, I was shocked to see that I had been charged 60bt for a bottle of drinking water.. robbery! but i didn't try to walk out without paying... :o

I wonder how it would have turned out had the police actually come, considering the beating the farang received for what he considered to be an unfair bill...

It may not be the only one stuffed with blue cheese....but I think the one I saw and was thinking of was at the Woodstock Bar on Soi Thong Lor 13.... not exactly a traditional burger either...given that it's bunless.... :o

Black n’Da Blues Burger B.255

Blackened bunless hamburger (i.e. there is no bun), stuffed with blue cheese & topped with grilled onions and gravy.

Yeah Woodstock. Have to say I like the burgers there. Not mad about the venue, but the food's pretty good. Couldn't care less whether it is a carbon copy of what some TV poster used to eat back home in Des Moines.

I had a delicious burger at O'Reilley's (SalaDaeng BTS) but it was very expensive 280bt for the US Angus special with all the trimmings. I asked ofr it rare and it came well done... but it was the best patty, i've had in Bkk to date. The fries were mediocre and the onion rings terrible.

While I was waiting, a European man became quite upset, complaining that he wanted to call the police because he felt he was being robbed. The staff seemed to call the police but 15 minutes later the man got tired of waiting and started to leave.

The waiter tried to grab his arm but he freed himself and walked out the door. The waiter then ran behind the bar, grabbed a half filled bottle of vodca by the neck, ran out after the farang and proceeded to clubber him over the head! Then a waitress ran out with a what looked like the heavy end of a cue stick....

I thnk the man paid his bill but I gotta say I was unimpressed by the the show of bviolence on behalf of the staff for what couldn't have been all that much money. The police never arrived.

Anyway, when I got my check bin, I was shocked to see that I had been charged 60bt for a bottle of drinking water.. robbery! but i didn't try to walk out without paying... :o

I wonder how it would have turned out had the police actually come, considering the beating the farang received for what he considered to be an unfair bill...

I had contemplated trying this place before, and I wouldn't mind paying 280 for a good burger, but now that I have read yor post, I think I will pass!

Black n'Da Blues Burger B.255

Yeah Woodstock. Have to say I like the burgers there. Not mad about the venue, but the food's pretty good. Couldn't care less whether it is a carbon copy of what some TV poster used to eat back home in Des Moines.

Actually, I was rather disappointed with the burger at Woodstock, which was surprising as I think I enjoyed one there when they are at the previous location. (But, ahh, Des Moines! The Guinea Grinder on Merle Hay! Great burger! All that Iowa beef results in many great places to get a fantastic burger! :D )

As an aside to the burger comments, the Woodstock is the only place in Thailand I have ever been suckered into buying a bottle, but I figured that I could take it back after and cook with it (I use JD for several recipes.) I had given a drink apiece to two waitresses (I don't actually drink it myself), and when I was going to leave, I asked one to cap the bottle for me, which she did. Then, just before I left, the other one grabbed it and said she wanted it. I said no, but she insisted, then ran away with it. I should have spoken to management, but like an idiot, I did nothing. Then I find out later the girl was only 15 years old!

I had contemplated trying this place before, and I wouldn't mind paying 280 for a good burger, but now that I have read yor post, I think I will pass!

Not exactly the kind of report that makes one want to run right out and visit this place. I've always avoided it myself, after having read multiple other TV posts about guests and their food there being beset by cockroaches.... No thanks.....

Not exactly the kind of report that makes one want to run right out and visit this place. I've always avoided it myself, after having read multiple other TV posts about guests and their food there being beset by cockroaches.... No thanks.....

Now I am interested, please provide us with the links to these posts concerning cockroaches.

Now I am interested, please provide us with the links to these posts concerning cockroaches.

OK James... I know... O"Reilly's is probably your FAVORITE place to eat.... But, since you're so curious (and too lazy to look for yourself), here's what you asked for....neither of them written by me... I will not frequent the place.

LINK

LINK 2

Bon Appetit!

Actually O'Reillys was not that bad under the previous owner. But cockroach free or not, I think you will find it hard to find any restaurant here that doesnt have a bug or two.

But come on now, we are all waiting for your list of fav restaurants.

Our gracious host Mark has made little cards, had them laminated & placed one on every table.

I'll paraphrase.

In case I'm not here you can call me anytime on 08x-xxx-xxxx to discuss catering needs - complaints about the food complaints about the service or anything else. We want you to enjoy our food.

He will still be around in 10 years time. Which not many can claim.

Our gracious host Mark has made little cards, had them laminated & placed one on every table.

I'll paraphrase.

In case I'm not here you can call me anytime on 08x-xxx-xxxx to discuss catering needs - complaints about the food complaints about the service or anything else. We want you to enjoy our food.

He will still be around in 10 years time. Which not many can claim.

Yea, I know what you mean, places like Chesa or Bei Otto on Suk 22 are bound to close, so too with Le Boulange and Zanotti for that matter. Do you really want a list of restaurants that have been here for more than 10 years?

Let's throw in the Huntsmen while we are at it. My question is, if this this restaurant is all that you say it is, surely Mark would think about duplicating it elsewhere? ChefsXP perhaps?

Let's throw in the Huntsmen while we are at it. My question is, if this this restaurant is all that you say it is, surely Mark would think about duplicating it elsewhere? ChefsXP perhaps?

Actually, I asked this in another thread somewhere... the reply was that ChefsXP said they were too far out, but were hoping to expand to their area sometime soon. I then added a post asking if ChefsXP might be interested for an additional delivery charge, but no answer yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Never forgetting the quest for a good (or even best) hamburger to be found in BKK, we ventured last night back to the Hard Rock Cafe in Siam Square to try their burger for the first time...and were pleasantly surprised. Judged on the standard of an "American" hamburger, it was generally a good burger, and very good by BKK standards.

We'd been there before for the BBQ ribs, which were very good, and reported on here previously... And it was the authenticity of those (that dinner was one of the few I've ever had in BKK where the food made me think I'm actually eating back in the USA) that made me want to come back to try the burgers.

For the record, HRC has a full page of their menu devoted to hamburgers, and two basic categories of offerings: a section of 10 oz. burgers with various choices of fancy toppings, all pricing at 550 to 600 baht including fries. Then there's the regular hamburgers section with 7 oz. choices with various toppings in the 350 to 400 baht range including fries. (I believe the menu indicates they use Australian ground beef for their burgers.) Not being a glutton, I opted for the basic "HRC Burger" with fries for 350 baht, which arrived plain except for a side garnish of lettuce, a couple onion slices, and a couple pickles and tomato slices.

post-53787-1224571419_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1224571431_thumb.jpg

(sorry for the less than optimal photos... My mobile doesn't have a flash, and the inside of HRC is dark....)

The fries were mediocre, regular medium cut style but not arriving particularly fresh or hot. But the burger (the beef) was very good in two respects... First, they ask how you want it cooked, I answered medium, and to my surprise, I actually got a hamburger that was pink inside...which is what I was wanting/expecting. (Too often, of course, no matter how you ask for meat here to be cooked, it arrives brown through and through.) That was a nice touch.

Then, second, the burger arrived with a wonderful charcoal grilled flavor to the meat.... not overcooked or burned on the outside. But just enough real grilling to impart that distinct and remarkable flavor that says HAMBURGER and blows away the flavor of any griddle fried offerings. If they did add any seasonings into the beef, they weren't detectable at all, with the charcoal grill flavor dominating.

And of course, at 7 oz., the burger was quite good in size and shaped as a large patty formed to maybe 1/4 inch thick... and filling out the width of the good sized bun it came with ... not the meatball shaped patty found elsewhere.

Next time, on a day when I'm feeling particularly ravenous, I may give a try to one of the 10 oz. burgers (just under 2/3rd of a pound)... first...to see if they can consistently replicate the quality of the burger last night, and second, sometimes ya gotta just go for the beef!!! ... :o

http://www.hardrockcafe.co.th/Food_Beverage_BURGERS.htm