Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Philippines a couple of weeks ago, and I had a number of good and even one very good burger there.  I am not sure why the PI can have good burgers while I can't seem to find any in Thailand.

Mark's Metro Burger at the BBQ Sandwich King and the Landmark Hotel burger are merely adequate (Mark's pork sandwich is outstanding, though).  And I have even given up making burgers at home.  (I have switched to pork burgers.)

Some days, I would kill for a good burger!

I went to the Philippines a couple of weeks ago, and I had a number of good and even one very good burger there.  I am not sure why the PI can have good burgers while I can't seem to find any in Thailand.

Mark's Metro Burger at the BBQ Sandwich King and the Landmark Hotel burger are merely adequate (Mark's pork sandwich is outstanding, though).  And I have even given up making burgers at home.  (I have switched to pork burgers.)

I have great burgers all the time sonny bonobo - on my gas bbq in my back yard. :)

Is it that hard to make a good burger yourself ? I just go to the big C or Carrefour and buy some grinded pork (or beef if you like that). Then add some spices and breadcrumbs and make burgers. I then grill them on a grill i bought.. not really rocket science.

Is it that hard to make a good burger yourself ? I just go to the big C or Carrefour and buy some grinded pork (or beef if you like that). Then add some spices and breadcrumbs and make burgers. I then grill them on a grill i bought.. not really rocket science.

I have great burgers all the time sonny bonobo - on my gas bbq in my back yard. :)

Sorry Robblok and Bkkjames, I just haven't found decent-enough ground beef here in Thailand in order to be able to make a decent burger.  And by burger, I mean beef, not pork.  I happen to make pork brugers quite regulary, and they are fine, but they are not hamburgers. Hamburgers do nto have spices nor breadcrumbs, either, sorry to say.  That makes a meatloaf-tasting beefburger, the knd you might get in some European countries.  They can taste OK, but they are not hamburgers. And a gas grill!  Sacrilege!   :D  

I cook alot, and I both grill and BBQ.  And I am very picky on it.  The only ribs I will eat in BKK are from the BBQ Sandwich King.  As soon as I get out of this condo and into a proper house, I will bring in a New Braunsfel BBQ, and I think the ribs, Boston Butt, and even beer-butt chicken should be fine here.  BUt unless I start buying up the imported beef and grinding it myself, I really don't see much hope for a good hamburger.

Edited by bonobo

He said a burger, not a meatloaf sandwich. Your recipe sounds fine, for meatloaf! :)

He said a burger, not a meatloaf sandwich. Your recipe sounds fine, for meatloaf! :)

You've got that right!

Honestly... The best burger i've found in BKK is definately in Conrad Hotel's Deli - in CRC Tower, All Seasons Place, Wireless Road.

Deli is Conrad's beautifully airconned answer to Landmark's patio thing... I think the food at Conrad is better - I love Deli - I eat there regularly as i work just next door.

I think the burger is about 240 baht ish - brilliant coleslaw, nice fries (fries are fries right?) and brilliant burger - i have it medium rare and its always as juicy as anything and just plain mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Deli is in the same building and floor as Garage opposite the Tops supermarket thats also in there and next to Olive.

Cheers,

Not Konfuzed About This One!

@bonobo and Ulysses G

I admit im not a Yank so i have a different idea of what a hamburger is.

But i do have a machine here that grinds my meat so it is possible to grind Thai beef yourself. But i must admit that i have never fancied Thai beef. Give me dutch beef anyday.

Sorry Robblok and Bkkjames, I just haven't found decent-enough ground beef here in Thailand in order to be able to make a decent burger.  And by burger, I mean beef, not pork.  I happen to make pork brugers quite regulary, and they are fine, but they are not hamburgers. Hamburgers do nto have spices nor breadcrumbs, either, sorry to say.  That makes a meatloaf-tasting beefburger, the knd you might get in some European countries.  They can taste OK, but they are not hamburgers. And a gas grill!  Sacrilege!   :D  

I cook alot, and I both grill and BBQ.  And I am very picky on it.  The only ribs I will eat in BKK are from the BBQ Sandwich King.  As soon as I get out of this condo and into a proper house, I will bring in a New Braunsfel BBQ, and I think the ribs, Boston Butt, and even beer-butt chicken should be fine here.  BUt unless I start buying up the imported beef and grinding it myself, I really don't see much hope for a good hamburger.

Really? just go to villa pick out your cuts and have them grind it for you, that way you know what your getting. pretty easy really.

Villa has a couple of kinds of frozen hamburger patties...

--three-patty packs of smaller Thai French burgers for 62 baht (200g, so about 67g each)

--two-patty "hamburger" packs formed like cube steaks (each patty at 113g) for 42 baht

The smaller patties fry up pretty dry and not much taste. But the larger patties, presumably with a higher fat content though the packages don't say, fry up tender, juicy and tasting great... They're my favorite for homemade burgers... Gotta have some fat content in the beef to make a good hamburger.

Villa has a couple of kinds of frozen hamburger patties...

--three-patty packs of smaller Thai French burgers for 62 baht (200g, so about 67g each)

--two-patty "hamburger" packs formed like cube steaks (each patty at 113g) for 42 baht

The smaller patties fry up pretty dry and not much taste. But the larger patties, presumably with a higher fat content though the packages don't say, fry up tender, juicy and tasting great... They're my favorite for homemade burgers... Gotta have some fat content in the beef to make a good hamburger.

Last week, I picked up some "All-American Patty" from Villa. These are two packs and all they say are Gourmet Villa on the package. They are absolutely wonderful, but the 2-pack was 60 baht. They seem to be about 80g patties and about 20% fat.

@bonobo and Ulysses G

I admit im not a Yank so i have a different idea of what a hamburger is.

But i do have a machine here that grinds my meat so it is possible to grind Thai beef yourself. But i must admit that i have never fancied Thai beef. Give me dutch beef anyday.

We certainly agree on that! :)

Went to Triple O yesterday with my daughter - actually we had already eaten downstairs at Pepper Lunch, but a good burger is something I can't refuse... so I ordered their Double Double burger, which is basically the BC with an extra patty, extra cheese, extra bacon - for 330 baht.

I have to say - it tasted a lot better than the last time I remember eating there... and my daughter said it was the best burger she's ever had.

dam_n expensive - but now my favorite, just can't have it that often, that's all. But I'd still kill for a Fatburger or a Fuddrucker's in Thailand...

Bullys Pub, near JW Marriotts, Soi 2 has been serving up some excellent burgers in a nice atmosphere. I say they are currently tops in the burger war.

The owner runs a tight ship I've noticed and I see his following has been growing, so give him a try.

JW Marriott, next door also plates up a juicy burger in the coffee shop along with some excellent sandwiches.

Bullys Pub, near JW Marriotts, Soi 2 has been serving up some excellent burgers in a nice atmosphere. I say they are currently tops in the burger war.

The owner runs a tight ship I've noticed and I see his following has been growing, so give him a try.

JW Marriott, next door also plates up a juicy burger in the coffee shop along with some excellent sandwiches.

You mean the Bangkok Baking Company at the JW Marriott? Tried their burger once... marinated. Not bad but not my type.

One day I will get around to trying Bullys, but I bet it's marinated as well, like every burger I've ever had in a pub.

You mean the Bangkok Baking Company at the JW Marriott? Tried their burger once... marinated. Not bad but not my type.

One day I will get around to trying Bullys, but I bet it's marinated as well, like every burger I've ever had in a pub.

marinated? you mean salt and pepper or like terriyaki and the like? actually had one at bully's 6 months ago and must admit wasn't bad at all.

Bully's burger is pretty good... If it is marinated (with some kind of seasonings), it's not overdone to spoil the hamburger taste.

Lately, I like the ground steakburgers at Chok Chai Steakhouse on Suk Soi 23/Soi Prassamit. Good flavor... good beef, cooked to order, about 160 baht including cheese, grilled onion and good bacon. A bit stingy on the french fries. A very good deal and burger at about half the price of many of the other premium HAMburger places.

Also, as I reviewed here lately, the hamburgers at the Outback Steakhouse at Siam Discovery are a very pleasant surprise. Good food and service, and the burger patty there is one of the biggest, and best tasting, hamburgers I've eaten here.

Either place makes a good/great hamburger meal for BKK.

\

BBC/JW Marriott's is definitely marinated.

I said I thought Bully's might be marinated because every pub burger I've ever had was marinated, but I haven't been there yet. Now I'm going to definitely stop by next time I'm in that area.

Same for Chokchai - next time I'm in the area. Problem is, I don't go to either of those areas very often any more.

Anyone know if either location has wi-fi?

Oh - and about that Triple O burger - I forgot to mention it was HUGE. I couldn't quite get my mouth around it to take a bite... about the same height as a triple Fatburger with cheese, bacon and egg added...

BBC/JW Marriott's is definitely marinated.

I said I thought Bully's might be marinated because every pub burger I've ever had was marinated, but I haven't been there yet. Now I'm going to definitely stop by next time I'm in that area.

Same for Chokchai - next time I'm in the area. Problem is, I don't go to either of those areas very often any more.

Anyone know if either location has wi-fi?

Oh - and about that Triple O burger - I forgot to mention it was HUGE. I couldn't quite get my mouth around it to take a bite... about the same height as a triple Fatburger with cheese, bacon and egg added...

Yeah, Bully's has free wi-fi.

Bully's is NOT marinated. It is pretty much an excellent American cheeseburger.

I should be more specific. In America, this would just be an average cheeseburger of the non-fast food variety - something like Clown Alley in San Francisco (was 20 years ago).

For Thailand, it is excellent. :)

Honestly... The best burger i've found in BKK is definately in Conrad Hotel's Deli - in CRC Tower, All Seasons Place, Wireless Road.

Deli is Conrad's beautifully airconned answer to Landmark's patio thing... I think the food at Conrad is better - I love Deli - I eat there regularly as i work just next door.

I think the burger is about 240 baht ish - brilliant coleslaw, nice fries (fries are fries right?) and brilliant burger - i have it medium rare and its always as juicy as anything and just plain mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Deli is in the same building and floor as Garage opposite the Tops supermarket thats also in there and next to Olive.

Cheers,

Not Konfuzed About This One!

I've eaten at the Conrad, but not at the Deli there.  Thanks for the advice, though.  I will give it a try.

Yeah, Bully's has free wi-fi.

Thanks, that convinced me. So I'm here now on their free wi-fi (which is True and fast), and even remembered to take a picture!

post-15263-1242896357_thumb.jpg

I ordered the California Burger (guacamole and bacon) and added cheese. As you can see from the picture, the guacamole looks more like a manufactured dip than fresh... but overall the burger was very good. Three napkins to clean up all the drippings on my hand... burger not marinated. Fries were - well, fries. Cole Slaw was about the same quality as KFC's cole slaw though - not very good but I don't mind.

Cost would be 230 baht plus 20 for the cheese. Overall, I'd call this a pretty decent value - certainly one of the best I've had so thanks to everyone for the tip.

BTW, this pub is more like an American pub (country music playing) - which may explain why the burger is not marinated. Got pool tables too so that interests me.

so tell me onethailand - if they didn't have wifi, you wouldn't go? :)

It's a bit like starting a thread "where can I get free wifi in Bangkok" - and because they have good burgers you are sold!

Anticipating Onethailand's review

"Went to Bully's and ordered the American Classic Cheeseburger - took 15 mins - portions were very big - included a good selection of condiments. Overall the burger taste was good but slightly overcooked IMO.

However, because they had free-wifi, I ended up spending the afternoon there until the owner came over and suggested he may start charging me rent.

Final Rating: Burger 7.5 out 10. Wifi 10/10 while it lasts.

:D

BTW, this pub is more like an American pub (country music playing) - which may explain why the burger is not marinated. Got pool tables too so that interests me.

They have all different kinds of music and it is usually quite good. It is modeled after an American establishment, but the owner was a European last time I was there.

Bully's charges 90 baht for a very good sized basket of quite tasty french fries...

But they also charge 110 baht for bottles of San Miguel Light in the middle of the afternoon.

I'd go for the fries, but some kind of decent happy hour/drink specials there would be really nice...

That, and, they appear to not have a printed drinks menu... Every time I ask, they say...mai mee....

However, the waitress today quite admirably was able to recite from memory every beer they have on tap and started into a long list of their bottles, before I told her STOP.... I'll settle for a San Miguel....

Bully's is NOT marinated. It is pretty much an excellent American cheeseburger.

I should be more specific. In America, this would just be an average cheeseburger of the non-fast food variety - something like Clown Alley in San Francisco (was 20 years ago).

For Thailand, it is excellent. :)

That's about right. Bully's burgers are about like a homemade burger slapped together out of supermarket ground beef in the States. Not that that's a bad thing, but for it to be hailed as a great burger seems a bit odd.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Bully's charges 90 baht for a very good sized basket of quite tasty french fries...

But they also charge 110 baht for bottles of San Miguel Light in the middle of the afternoon.

I'd go for the fries, but some kind of decent happy hour/drink specials there would be really nice...

That, and, they appear to not have a printed drinks menu... Every time I ask, they say...mai mee....

However, the waitress today quite admirably was able to recite from memory every beer they have on tap and started into a long list of their bottles, before I told her STOP.... I'll settle for a San Miguel....

I can recite every beer that they have on tap too and I haven't been there for 6 months It's not as if they have 100 taps. Best thing they have there is the Paulaner Heffeweisen, only downside is that they charge 280 Baht for a half litre of it.

Edited by OriginalPoster

so tell me onethailand - if they didn't have wifi, you wouldn't go? :)

It's a bit like starting a thread "where can I get free wifi in Bangkok" - and because they have good burgers you are sold!

Anticipating Onethailand's review

"Went to Bully's and ordered the American Classic Cheeseburger - took 15 mins - portions were very big - included a good selection of condiments. Overall the burger taste was good but slightly overcooked IMO.

However, because they had free-wifi, I ended up spending the afternoon there until the owner came over and suggested he may start charging me rent.

Final Rating: Burger 7.5 out 10. Wifi 10/10 while it lasts.

:D

Actually, I probably wouldn't have gone today for sure. The fact that most of my work is online means I can go anywhere I can get access to the Net.

Met up with JF there and we had a good chat, before I moved to one of the pool tables where one of the waitresses proceeded to kick my butt - before I discovered they had decent cues as well... then I ordered another burger to top it all off!

Won't be a regular stop as the pool tables are a big distraction... but convenient enough that I will probably go back every now and then.

Anyone tried their chili?