Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the place that used to be Delaney's (sorry to out you there if I did). I've had the burger there a few times when I lived in the area and they're the only place I know of that serves the condiments in shot glasses like that. Since I've rated their burgers in other threads before, I don't mind saying that they're pretty bland and suffer from some of the common Euroburger afflictions (non-standard variations in toppings, bun-to-patty ratio, oddball seasoning of meat, etc). While it is expensive, some of their other food is (or at least was, haven't had it in months) quite good, though - the beef stew is excellent and the buffets can be great - and the staff, especially the head bartender, are the best pub staff in town as far as I'm concerned. However all that's niether here nor there in a burger-specific thread and their burger goes on the pile with most other burgers at farang pubs and restaurants in Bangkok: overpriced, mediocre and not really true in either taste or composition to what a burger is back in The States (though if you're looking for a European-style pub burger you might like it, I wouldn't be qualified to say due to my taste bias in the area).

Since I've just spilled out a Euroburger diatribe within a conversation involving John, I guess I should say that the reason John's burger sounds interesting is that (in spite of the troublesome cheese debate) he nailed the charcoal requirement (though there are two acceptable varieites, I'm partial to charcoal as well) and it sounds like he's on the ball about seasonings, being a chef and what have you. I'm looking forward to trying it and reporting back with my crappy phonecam pics.

I can say I have had John's burger and it is good, especially at 140 Baht. But what most impresses me is that On-on made the post at 0400 hrs, now that's dedication!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, if you're going to pan someplace, you ought to say WHAT place you're talking about...

That way, others can agree, disagree or at least know.... There's quite a few pubs near Silom....

hmmmm, it was ment more as a general statement that high price does not mean quality .. since I have an (if small) eatery myself and am in the business I feel that it would be in a way unethical to name/shame a particular place - however, if the newss were positive I would have no problem naming the place - example the carpchio at Le Opera :o - its been a while but always was excellent as was their wild mushroom risotto

John

John, since you're a restaurateur, I can understand you have some sensitivity to posting negative comments about the food at another NAMED restaurant...

However, if everyone adopted the view you espouse, it would be a great disservice to everyone who participates in TV... This is a place where the good can be praised and rewarded, the bad panned and avoided, and members can espouse and disagree over differing views. It's through that process that we hopefully inform each other and learn about the best places to patronize and the bad ones to avoid.

If some business gets a bad review here from one poster, I might note that in my mind, but not be swayed to avoid it for that reason alone. But if some business gets a raft of bad reviews here from different and diverse posters, then I'd certainly be hesitant to give it a try. Ditto for the good ones, working in the opposite direction...

John, if you're going to pan someplace, you ought to say WHAT place you're talking about...

That way, others can agree, disagree or at least know.... There's quite a few pubs near Silom....

hmmmm, it was ment more as a general statement that high price does not mean quality .. since I have an (if small) eatery myself and am in the business I feel that it would be in a way unethical to name/shame a particular place - however, if the newss were positive I would have no problem naming the place - example the carpchio at Le Opera :o - its been a while but always was excellent as was their wild mushroom risotto

John

John, since you're a restaurateur, I can understand you have some sensitivity to posting negative comments about the food at another NAMED restaurant...

However, if everyone adopted the view you espouse, it would be a great disservice to everyone who participates in TV... This is a place where the good can be praised and rewarded, the bad panned and avoided, and members can espouse and disagree over differing views. It's through that process that we hopefully inform each other and learn about the best places to patronize and the bad ones to avoid.

If some business gets a bad review here from one poster, I might note that in my mind, but not be swayed to avoid it for that reason alone. But if some business gets a raft of bad reviews here from different and diverse posters, then I'd certainly be hesitant to give it a try. Ditto for the good ones, working in the opposite direction...

John, i will answer this one for you. You see, although John has a small restaurant himself on Ekkamai, his core business is wholesale to restaurants / hotels in Bangkok and throughout Thailand. This is probably the bigger reason why he chose not to name the restaurant - not a good business move IMO.

Went to DQ in Siam Center today. Ordered a Classic Double Cheese with bacon, and onion rings instead of the fries.

Didn't take pictures of it because, unlike those of you who have patience, when I see a burger, all I can think about is eating it :o

I have to say - that wasn't a bad burger at all. Still processed fast-food burgers (in taste similar to A&Ws but seemingly a lot fresher, those at A&W border on rancid), but I enjoyed the burger. Would rate it pretty close to a BK Whopper - even though the Whoppers here are always nuked and sometimes quite dry, I still prefer a charbroiled taste. For a normal grilled burger, though, DQ was excellent value for money.

Oh - and I liked the onion rings, way better than Burger Kings but you get a lot less too. Drinks appear to be bottomless since they are self-service... gotta like that.

After walking to MBK Center and getting my daughter's phone fixed, I decided to go and find the R Burger mentioned earlier in this thread - turns out it's at the far end of the station (heading towards Centralworld). Saw the bun on the posters and thought to myself "Hmm... not so sure about that" - then I walked in, looked at the menu, and walked out.

They only had pork, chicken and tofu burgers - no beef anywhere on the menu. So I think most of you can safely remove this restaurant from your list of burgers to try.

Edited by onethailand

What is DQ? I just woke up from a nap and may not be running on all cylinders yet.

I would assume that DQ is Dairy Queen, I used to enjoy their food as a youngster in Texas in the late 1970's, the quality seemed better back than.

What is DQ? I just woke up from a nap and may not be running on all cylinders yet.

DQ Dairy Queen Grill & Chill.

Burgers are big and good (I like the "Flame-thrower" with bacon, jalapenos, and cheese!), Chili Dogs are good with a lot of cheese, Onion Rings are good (lite and crispy), and they have THICK milkshakes hard to sip through a straw (I like the blueberry!) and have bottomless softdrink. A big meal is 139 Baht, onion rings and bottomless softdrink included!

Conveniently located...

:o

I would assume that DQ is Dairy Queen, I used to enjoy their food as a youngster in Texas in the late 1970's, the quality seemed better back than.

A lot of things did. I think that an adult learns to discriminate about the quality of food more. :o

DQ is a decent burger, nothing to shout about - and yes, it's the same Dairy Queen we grew up with :o

Went back to Garage yesterday - had the Haka Burger (double) again, and it was better - but still not quite as good as the one I had earlier this year. I had a long chat with the owners and I am sure they are looking into this. I think if they can improve the consistency of the grilling of the burger, it will make a big difference.

actually, one of the very best burgers in bangkok is not in bangkok at all, but approximately 20-30 minutes north of the big city in nonthaburi at a place called bbq sandwich king: www.bbqsandwichking.co.th. it's a true, classic, american-style burger, called the metro burger, and it simply rocks! but don't take my word for it. venture out there and try it yourself. you simply don't know what you're missing.

Good call JF -- This place's burgers are as good as it gets!

Tried the Metro burger recently (actually have "tried" it 3 times now in the last two months :o ), it is awesome! The old BK jingle comes to mind, "it takes two hands to handle a Whopper"...is as good as any burger I would get when home in Houston (TX, USA that is--Beck's Prime, Pappas Burgers, to name just a couple). The excellent quality beef and the real white cheddar cheese are notable...also the tater tots included as a side are more than a little addictive, probably due to the ever so slight seasoning which is applied. Those of you who are familiar with Sonic (US based chain) will love these even more, as the seasoning definitely steps it up a notch. Am glad it is "only" a 30 minute drive from town center (Chaeng Wattana Road/Samakhee Road), otherwise, I might be there even more often. Thankfully, my lovely Thai bride has developed an affinity for the chicken tender salad and the BBQ pork ribs (authentic Texas BBQ, more on that topic very soon)...

Metro Burger:

post-64717-1216362713_thumb.jpg

Chicken Tender Salad:

post-64717-1216362345_thumb.jpg

just went to MOS buger today...i dont see why this is classfied as 'asian' taste...its a light watery chili burger!...not bad, but you could tell the meat has some kind of bread filler in it....the pizza dog is a chili dog. with peppers on it.

I suppose they have to market the products for recognizability....a person not familiar with american chili would be like...huh? whats chili?....pepper?

I agree Bully's make a great burger. Which is suprising as the owner is from New Zealand. But I will try the landmark next week for a burger. I heard they have the best Steaks in BKK, but thats another story.........

Care to explain why it is surprising that a kiwi can make a good burger Waza, daza or whatever ya stupid ocker name is.

• 2 weeks later...
I have read through most of the Best Burger threads and can't believe that Doug's place on Soi Rangnam has never been mentioned.

Indeed, this place has closed. It is now called Seasoning. I go there quite often. I sampled their burger, and I found it to be tasty. They asked me how I would like to have it prepared. I ordered it medium, and it came exactly as I had ordered which seems to be quite rare.

I have had the burger at the new Big Mango a few times now. It is also quite good in my opinion. They use a fair bit of spice which makes for a different taste than I am used to in Bangkok.

I don't use Thai Visa that much, but I will check out some of these suggestions. The email notification for replies never seems to work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm.... in checking their web site today looking for an Olympics basketball venue...came across a real (not doctored) photo of the California Burger at the newly relocated Mango bar on a side soi of Suk Soi 4 (Nana).

Haven't been there yet.... but have to say... this burger pictured looks VERY good....

post-53787-1219392054_thumb.jpg

The "New Mango" burgers are okay, as you say all food reviews are very opiounated .. but for the price and setting ,, ie.. good staff .. music and beer prices .. 99b bht for pint Heinken ..is an ideal stop before venturing in to the dark belly of Soi 4 after dark

So tonight, I took a trip into the "dark belly" of Soi 4 to indulge in a bit of Olympic basketball on TV and the above pictured California burger at the relatively new/relocated Big Mango Bar there.

And, I must say, I was pretty pleased. For starters, the burger they served arrived at the table pretty much looking exactly as depicted above, which was a good omen. Nicely toasted bun, fresh onion and tomato slices, crisp iceberg lettuce, and a good sized, nicely formed beef patty that well filled out the bun. And, it had quite a good beef/hamburger taste to it... not with the meatloaf or boiled meat flavor you might find elsewhere.

The guacamole was ok, as were the couple of slices of bacon layed on top, though the bacon strips were a bit fatty/chewy, while I'd personally prefer crisp/crunchy.... But that was a small issue for an overall good meal. Added in a side order of tasty french fries... and I think the whole deal came to 250 baht total... I'd certainly go back for another....but meanwhile, the Great Bangkok Burger Hunt goes on!!!!

Still haven't yet tried the well-reviewed, gold-priced burger at the Landmark Hotel, or the Crossbar on Soi 23, or the Hard Rock Cafe's burger. But, from the myriad of others I have tried already, I'd rate the Mango burger as among the best I've had here...on a similar level with Bully's Pub nearby on Suk Road between Sois 2 and 4.

While on the subject, I wanted to add I had a very good and satisfying burger experience a while back at the Bus Stop bar/restaurant, also on the main Soi 4. But rather than opt for their regular hamburger that night, I took a chance and opted for their STEAK burger... and was quite pleased with a very tender, well marbled, good sized real steak (not chopped or cubed or pressed) that arrived on my sandwich, more than filling out the bun... Good flavor... just chewy enough to be satisfying...but not tough or grisly.... A very satisfying burger that was at a reasonable price... and it reminds me I want to go back there soon to see if they can replicate it...or ... maybe I just caught them on a good night.

A good hamburger is always nice...but sometimes... a real man needs to have steak!!! :o

So tonight, I took a trip into the "dark belly" of Soi 4 to indulge in a bit of Olympic basketball on TV and the above pictured California burger at the relatively new/relocated Big Mango Bar there.

And, I must say, I was pretty pleased. For starters, the burger they served arrived at the table pretty much looking exactly as depicted above, which was a good omen. Nicely toasted bun, fresh onion and tomato slices, crisp iceberg lettuce, and a good sized, nicely formed beef patty that well filled out the bun. And, it had quite a good beef/hamburger taste to it... not with the meatloaf or boiled meat flavor you might find elsewhere.

The guacamole was ok, as were the couple of slices of bacon layed on top, though the bacon strips were a bit fatty/chewy, while I'd personally prefer crisp/crunchy.... But that was a small issue for an overall good meal. Added in a side order of tasty french fries... and I think the whole deal came to 250 baht total... I'd certainly go back for another....but meanwhile, the Great Bangkok Burger Hunt goes on!!!!

Still haven't yet tried the well-reviewed, gold-priced burger at the Landmark Hotel, or the Crossbar on Soi 23, or the Hard Rock Cafe's burger. But, from the myriad of others I have tried already, I'd rate the Mango burger as among the best I've had here...on a similar level with Bully's Pub nearby on Suk Road between Sois 2 and 4.

While on the subject, I wanted to add I had a very good and satisfying burger experience a while back at the Bus Stop bar/restaurant, also on the main Soi 4. But rather than opt for their regular hamburger that night, I took a chance and opted for their STEAK burger... and was quite pleased with a very tender, well marbled, good sized real steak (not chopped or cubed or pressed) that arrived on my sandwich, more than filling out the bun... Good flavor... just chewy enough to be satisfying...but not tough or grisly.... A very satisfying burger that was at a reasonable price... and it reminds me I want to go back there soon to see if they can replicate it...or ... maybe I just caught them on a good night.

A good hamburger is always nice...but sometimes... a real man needs to have steak!!! :o

OK, I've now been back in town for a couple of weeks, during the first week I took a couple of expat mates to the Landmark for the burgers...they are now addicted! I also had the California burger at the Big Mango and must say it wasn't bad, the bar is quite nice too, with free pool tables and Internet terminals upstairs (which are also free). I have also been to the re-named Bradmans sports bistro on Soi 23 (used to be called the Down Under Sports bistro) they have a reasonably good burger there. Had a burger at Livingstones in Soi 33 last night, it was OK.

Whilst the cost is high for the burger at the Landmark, it is far and away the best I have had anywhere!

I don't want to divert the main subject of this thread.... But on the subject of The (aforementioned) Landmark, their reuben (corned beef) sandwich also has gotten very good TV member reviews in other threads here. I think someone else already opined, just skip The Landmark's overpriced drinks/sodas and stick with the burger and fries....

It's on my list to try, especially since I live nearby... But I keep getting diverted by other priorities, such as last night's Olympic Basketball (and burger) outing.

I don't think she starts cooking until around 9pm.

The burgers are very good but I've usually had several beers by the time I'm eating mine, so that might cloud my judgement.

I usually have a cheese or bacon burger and pay 80 baht.

She is definately worth a try if you are in the area.

Also, don't forget to try the bugers at the new Mango Bar in sio 4. They are in the small sub soi opposite 7/11, open from 10am.

A frind took me to try the burgers that the bird at Nana cooks, I took one look at the dirty cow with her sweat dripping on the burgers and changed my mind, Nasty ! :o

---The guacamole was ok---

:o They had guacamole? At what price? If you calculate with Sunrise taco prices guacamole is more valuable than gold (69 baht for a plate so small that you need a CERN standard microscope to see it).

Edited by Hawkup2000

I just made the best burgers in BKK!

50/50 beef / pork mince handily packaged straight from Fuji.

1 onion

1 egg

1 cup of bread crumbs

Salt and Pepper

Grilled on my balcony on the charcoal BBQ.

Toasted sesame seed bun + lettuce , Tomato , slice of pickle , Hellmans Mayo and Harrods Christmas Mustard.

Beet that Mac!

Cheers

---The guacamole was ok---

:o They had guacamole? At what price? If you calculate with Sunrise taco prices guacamole is more valuable than gold (69 baht for a plate so small that you need a CERN standard microscope to see it).

If you look at the photo I posted earlier of the California Burger at the Big Mango Bar in the Soi 4 area, you'll see a greenish sauce the bar calls guacamole...

It's certainly not the same as the Sunrise Taco's offering (however minimalist in size), which is thick, very tasty, and clearly made mostly from actual avocados.... Something that can be and is scooped with tortilla chips.

The Mango offering may be closer to an avocado flavored sauce.... But since I'm not the chef, hard to say for sure on the makings involved.

Two places I have good luck with that haven't been mentioned in this thread...

Bradman's Sports Bistro, formerly the Downunder Sports Bistro on Suk soi 23. They have a great Aussie Burger, and there is an American Burger on the menu too which I haven't tried (more meat and without the beetroot etc). Your choice of french fries, wedges, aussie/english chips or a parmasan potato bake. Decent selection of sauces and mustard at your table.

And for a good American style Burger, The Tavern on soi 4 (small bar near Jools and the new Big Mango). If you are picky about how it is made and the ingredients, the 'kitchen' is actually the corner of the bar so you can supervise. 140 Baht for the basic burger but up to just under 200 for egg, bacon & decent cheese. Order fries seperate, available with cheese and/or chilli if you are into that. I'm not thrilled with their chilli though. When the burger is cooked, you put your own lettace, tomato etc. from a limited but functional selection and a wide range of sauces.

Best burger was certainly at the Belgian Dog, now closed (probably because the owner was almost certainly selling burgers at a loss and not enough beer to make up for the loss leader). Great charcol grilled meat on a custom baked bun with toppings of your choice from a huge selection (and if he didn't have it, he would get it).

I like the burgers at the Dubliner too but find them pricey.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree Bully's make a great burger. Which is suprising as the owner is from New Zealand. But I will try the landmark next week for a burger. I heard they have the best Steaks in BKK, but thats another story.........

Care to explain why it is surprising that a kiwi can make a good burger Waza, daza or whatever ya stupid ocker name is.

Bully's is run by a guy from Houston but maybe he's not the owner.

I like the burgers at the Dubliner too but find them pricey.

You've got to be kidding. First time I had a burger at the Dubliner it was worse than terrible. The meat tasted like soggy cardboard. I figured it can't really be that bad can it? Maybe I just hit a bad day or the cook was new or something so I tried another one a few weeks later. Just as bad as the first time. Never again.