No Cards Through The Mail!

Bigbad

I am a recent member of Thai Visa, so this subject may have been aired before without my knowledge. I am wondering if any other members have experienced the following; I am a customer of Lloyds TSB Bank in the UK, (my Company pays me in Sterling in the UK) and Lloyds TSB have refused to post any replacement Credit or Debit cards to Thailand. I have tried everything I can think of to obtain my cards, all to no avail. Has anybody out there got a solution?

It's a rough situation for the UK banks with all the British gangsters hanging out here in Thailand running scams. Can't blame the banks for being cautious after they've been burned so many times. No solution but to have your card mailed to an address in your home country and forwarded on.

I am a recent member of Thai Visa, so this subject may have been aired before without my knowledge. I am wondering if any other members have experienced the following; I am a customer of Lloyds TSB Bank in the UK, (my Company pays me in Sterling in the UK) and Lloyds TSB have refused to post any replacement Credit or Debit cards to Thailand. I have tried everything I can think of to obtain my cards, all to no avail. Has anybody out there got a solution?

Open a HSBC or First Direct Account in the UK, my cards are sent directly to HSBC in Thailand, was with TSB then Lloyds TSB for over 35years....

2nd option open a Thai Bank account with Visa card, and transfer money from UK Bank to Thai Bank ??

Not too helpful when they refuse to send the cards to you in Thailand as you have a UK address. When my Visa card was eaten by a machine in Thailand I had to have a replacement sent to my son in the UK and forwarded on.Took 3 weeks in total. Then I had to have him text the new pin number they issued.

The other solutions to this type of problem are to have a Thai bank account (K bank were helpful in sorting a new account for me) and have either phone banking or internet banking with both the Thai bank and the Farang bank so it makes transfer of funds easier.

I had this same situation and neither of my bank branches in the States would send a card to Thailand. One of my banks was HSBC in New York. I ended up opening up a SCB account in LOS, and transferred my money to the States. However, I was also getting paid in Thailand so cash flow wasn't a problem.

If you need access to your UK account, you need to have them forward the card to another address, and then have it very carefully and deceptively mailed to you in LOS by a third party.

I use a family member's address in the UK for all my UK bank accounts. I've opted for paperless statements and do all my account checks on-line.

When cards are due for replacement they are sent on by my brother via a courier.

I've heard of people having their cards cancelled because they nolonger have a UK address, so maintaing that address is worth doing for that reason alone.

I use a family member's address in the UK for all my UK bank accounts. I've opted for paperless statements and do all my account checks on-line.

When cards are due for replacement they are sent on by my brother via a courier.

I've heard of people having their cards cancelled because they nolonger have a UK address, so maintaing that address is worth doing for that reason alone.

I strongly agree!!!

Mastercard (ABNAMRO) mails by courier from Holland to Thailand.

Seperate letter with pincode and seperate letter for phone activation.

Amex Refuses to mail but inform and instruct Amex BKK to issue a card with their info included in it.

(cost me a drive from Korat to Bkk!)

It's a rough situation for the UK banks with all the British gangsters hanging out here in Thailand running scams.

yeah like the OP, joined today, 1 post...

open a thai bank get a visa electron card on opening ,in 6 months apply for a real visa ,if you have been paying in money every month and using your electron card you will get a visa card issued,well thats what i did ........

It's a rough situation for the UK banks with all the British gangsters hanging out here in Thailand running scams.

yeah like the OP, joined today, 1 post...

open a thai bank get a visa electron card on opening ,in 6 months apply for a real visa ,if you have been paying in money every month and using your electron card you will get a visa card issued,well thats what i did ........

I opened a Savings Account with 'Be 1st' Visa account from day one in Bangkok Bank

I had the same problem, i lost my card no problems, reported it straight away, was told, sorry we can only post to your uk registered address, but im working in thailand, ! sorry,. anyway i had it posted to my uk address and a friend was coming here and brought it over, but it got worse, the alliance have now cut my daily atm limit from 250 pounds a day to 50 pounds, reason given ,too much fraud in thailand,luckily i can still go to the exchange booths with my passport and draw as much as i like, ( debit card,not cedit ).to answer your question for a solution, have them posted to the uk address and then DHL or similar them to thailand,.

I hold an acc with Loydstsb in the UK and get all my replacement cards etc sent direct to Thailand however my address for my statements is Thailand, they wont send anything here for you if your statement address is in the UK.

I've had a LloydsTSB card on my Thai address for many years, and there's always been a problem when it's come to card renewal time. On the last two occasions they asked my permission to courier a new card to Thailand, at a cost of £9 (I think it was) to me. Each time I refused to pay, and each time, after some delay, they ended up couriering the card to me free of charge. I had alternative cards I could use, so it was easy to play the waiting game with them, citing something like "please keep the card until my next visit to UK, but I'm not sure when that will be; possibly in about 6 months." I suppose they weighed up their likely loss of my business against the cost of couriering, and decided to give in. :o

+ SJ

Perhaps a courier service where you pay the charge? It's actually a good thing as credit card fraud is rampant in Thailand. Check some of the Pattaya News archives. It's a proper precaution for banks to take.

A good idea, depends on the charge of course, but worth considering until I can get back to the UK and open an account with HSBC.