Sadao ( Neem) Leaf Neeeded.

Can anybody please tell me if they can provide me with 'Sadao (known by the other name of 'Neem') leaf', probably need 1kg of young leaves and what it would cost in total to post it to me here in Thailand ?

The wife says it's so common here she could collect 500kg just driving along the roadside. She also asked if you were for real as the stuff grows wild everywhere!! Are you looking for dried leaves as I think the fresh ones would be quite dry by the time you received them. I believe EMS within the country is B35 per package.

rgds

Can anybody please tell me if they can provide me with 'Sadao (known by the other name of 'Neem') leaf', probably need 1kg of young leaves and what it would cost in total to post it to me here in Thailand ?

The wife says it's so common here she could collect 500kg just driving along the roadside. She also asked if you were for real as the stuff grows wild everywhere!! Are you looking for dried leaves as I think the fresh ones would be quite dry by the time you received them. I believe EMS within the country is B35 per package.

rgds

Many thanks for that. I understood that it does grow wild, but problem is that I don't know what it looks like! I know this sounds strange, but how do I identify the tree, does it have any distinctive features?

Many thanks for that. I understood that it does grow wild, but problem is that I don't know what it looks like! I know this sounds strange, but how do I identify the tree, does it have any distinctive features?

Here's 2 pics. One is a small tree that just sprouted in the garden and the second is an average size tree growing along the roadside. There was a thread on this forum about 6 months ago on sadao trees. You may want to do a search to get more info.

rgds

rgds

Did you know that Google has the ability to find images (pictures)? Open Google, click "Images" above the place where you type in your search words.....then type in "neem tree".......or whatever you think might be the correct search terms for what you would like to find pictures of.....and in a few moments pictures will appear....it's really neat!!!

Chownah

rgds

Did you know that Google has the ability to find images (pictures)? Open Google, click "Images" above the place where you type in your search words.....then type in "neem tree".......or whatever you think might be the correct search terms for what you would like to find pictures of.....and in a few moments pictures will appear....it's really neat!!!

Chownah

Many thanks 'Somthan' for the pics and 'chownah' for the google advice. Must say that I did think of that after I had posted.

Will now go out and search the area for the trees.

Don't know whether or not you have come across the use of 'Neem' in medical treatment, it has been used (particularly in India) for thousands of years as an anti-inflamatory. I used it some five years ago, when I was diagnosed with diveriticulitus; with amazing results - not had the problem again. Also used as a 'natural insecticide' . Thanks again for all the help.

Cheshiremusicman> I hadn't seen your post on the other sadao thread last march. In Bangkok you can find sadao leaves for sale on the markets sometimes, mostly during the cold season. Liquid sadao extracts are also available as pesticide in garden shops, but I wouldn't try to treat diverticulitus with that!

A general question: I find that some trees give a fresher shade than others, and wonder how the shade of a sadao feels compared to common garden trees such as mango trees?

Pete_r

Cheshiremusicman> I hadn't seen your post on the other sadao thread last march. In Bangkok you can find sadao leaves for sale on the markets sometimes, mostly during the cold season. Liquid sadao extracts are also available as pesticide in garden shops, but I wouldn't try to treat diverticulitus with that!

A general question: I find that some trees give a fresher shade than others, and wonder how the shade of a sadao feels compared to common garden trees such as mango trees?

Pete_r

Thanks for the reply 'Pete_r'. We found that the 'sadao' trees seem to be used a lot in India for shade and seem to remember that they had a lovely smell, but don't know how they compare to other trees for shade.

We saw some very big specimens that had been growing in palace grounds when we were in Goa - very impressive - particularly on a very hot sunny day, lovely and cool underneath.

Do many of the farming communities here in Thailand use liquid sadao as a pesticide and how does it compare to 'manmade pesticides' in your experience?

Good luck on your search. Here's the earlier thread on the topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry950524

There is a very good website that lannarebirth posted which is:

http://www.neemfoundation.org/growing_neem.htm

rgds

Thank you very much for the website info,it makes fascinating reading and I have learnt an awful lot from them.

Do many of the farming communities here in Thailand use liquid sadao as a pesticide and how does it compare to 'manmade pesticides' in your experience?

Sadao extracts seem to be used in small quantities for gardening (maybe also for commercial vegetable crops), rather than for farming. But I don't know whether it is because sadao is less efficient than man-made pesticides, or because the production is not enough in Thailand to supply large quantities for farming (resulting in higher prices than man-made pesticides).

Thanks for sharing your experience with sadao in India,

Do you need any sadao leaves sent to you or is it taken care of, now?

• 1 month later...