Bmw In Thailand - Year Of Manu. Descrepancy

rack201

Hi Folks,

I am (hopefully) about to buy a 2nd hand BMW 330i E46 through one of the BMW dealers. They faxed me the registration document today, and it says its a 2002 model, whereby the dealer has been telling me its a 2005 model.

When I look up the VIN online, it also tells me 2002. I queried this with the dealer, they tried to explain that Thailand models (E46s) all say 2002, yet this car is a 2005. Something was lost in translation - and needless to say I am not convinced.

Can someone explain how BMWs get here or what might be going on? In their favour, they point out that this car comes with BSI (BMW Service Inclusive), which is a 5 year program. If it was a 2002 model BSI would be over, but it has 2.5 years to go implying that it began in 2005.

Any help would be great before I splash my hard earned down.

Cheers

Could it have sat unsold for that long ?? Making 2005 the first registration ??

Certainly has alarm bells ringing..

Ok here is the apparent deal. Parts are manufactured in Germany 2002, shipped to BMW factory in Thailand. Car was assembled here and first registered in 2005. E46 model was produced in germany from 2000-2004 so sounds feasible.

A few things check out. Service books for one, and also the K's (53,000 in 6 years seems too low to me). Also the blue book shows first reg in 2005.

You can tell I want to buy it..

If the blue book says 2005 I would think it was reasonably certain that it is above board ( :o , vague, I know).

I had a new book issued for my old Toyota DX, and although it now appears that I have been the cars only owner, it still states on the first page that the car was first licensed in 2526.

Although it's not unheard of for reg books to be lost, along with the records, and the car to be re-registered in a different year!

If the blue book says 2005 I would think it was reasonably certain that it is above board ( :o , vague, I know).

I had a new book issued for my old Toyota DX, and although it now appears that I have been the cars only owner, it still states on the first page that the car was first licensed in 2526.

Although it's not unheard of for reg books to be lost, along with the records, and the car to be re-registered in a different year!

It's all good. I spoke with BMW Thailand head office today. The CKD kits/parts from which my car was assembled were made in Germany in 2002 then sent to Thailand. This is the only time E46 330i kits were shipped here. As its a niche model for thailand (thirsty engines etc) demand is low, and it was assembled in Dec 2004. Sold and first registered (and warranty date) is 2005.

Im happy enough.

It's all good. I spoke with BMW Thailand head office today. The CKD kits/parts from which my car was assembled were made in Germany in 2002 then sent to Thailand. This is the only time E46 330i kits were shipped here. As its a niche model for thailand (thirsty engines etc) demand is low, and it was assembled in Dec 2004. Sold and first registered (and warranty date) is 2005.

Im happy enough.

Sounds good. What's the price if u don't mind me asking?

Im happy enough.

Sounds good. What's the price if u don't mind me asking?

PM send.

Hi Folks,

I am (hopefully) about to buy a 2nd hand BMW 330i E46 through one of the BMW dealers. They faxed me the registration document today, and it says its a 2002 model, whereby the dealer has been telling me its a 2005 model.

When I look up the VIN online, it also tells me 2002. I queried this with the dealer, they tried to explain that Thailand models (E46s) all say 2002, yet this car is a 2005. Something was lost in translation - and needless to say I am not convinced.

Can someone explain how BMWs get here or what might be going on? In their favour, they point out that this car comes with BSI (BMW Service Inclusive), which is a 5 year program. If it was a 2002 model BSI would be over, but it has 2.5 years to go implying that it began in 2005.

Any help would be great before I splash my hard earned down.

Cheers

The car was assembled out of 3 year old new parts, it is an 02 model,