Man Injured After Condo Elevator Plummets To The Ground

george

A man injured from an elevator accident

BANGKOK: -- A 40-year-old tenant in a Phayathai condominium in Bangkok was badly injured after a cable holding the elevator carrying his car snapped sending the lift plummeting from the second floor to the ground.

At the five-storey Urupong Condominium in Soi Phraya Nak, police at 7am on Wednesday helped Thitiwat Cholmaneekul, 40, who sustained severe back and neck injuries from impact, out of his Honda Accord car.

Another tenant who witnessed the incident said that the lift - which was used day and night - was old and the cables looked too flimsy to carry a modern car.

He said he had asked the condominium owner to check the lift's condition and was told the lift received a regular checkups and maintenance.

-- The Nation 2007-09-19

was badly injured after a cable holding the elevator carrying his car snapped sending the lift plummeting from the second floor to the ground.

A drop of two floors to the ground level.... I wonder what the results will be from the 91st floor of the Ocean 1 Tower Condo being built... :o

or for that matter, any other high-rise condo building... good luck to all those that reside in them.

I had a scare once in an elevator in the Siam paragon just after it had been opened. I got in the ground floor elevator which was the outside glass one. after pressing floor number 3 about 10 times without any movement I decided to get out and take the escalator WRONG !

The lift shot up past floors 2,3,4,5,6 etc until it went to the very top and just stopped. On front of me was a board covering the entrance to an unfinished floor and I could hear construction work going on behind it.

Not being a big fan of heights and being slightly hungover I was left with a birds eye view of BKK from a stationary elevator that was just stuck on that floor. :o !

After the lift finally decided to take be back to the ground floor I headed straight to the food court (with jelly knees) and ordered a large beer to be told "Kai mai dai kaa" for it was 5 minutes past the alcohol sales curfew.

to use an overused cliche,

T.I.T scary story though.........

was badly injured after a cable holding the elevator carrying his car snapped sending the lift plummeting from the second floor to the ground.

A drop of two floors to the ground level.... I wonder what the results will be from the 91st floor of the Ocean 1 Tower Condo being built... :o

or for that matter, any other high-rise condo building... good luck to all those that reside in them.

Thanks I live on the 20th floor, and the noises coming from above the cabins are scary. And very similar to the previous poster but in Fortune, I was in an elevator that made a full, very uncomfortable stop around floor 12 and then went to floor 30 to reset itself I guess.

At the five-storey Urupong Condominium in Soi Phraya Nak, police at 7am on Wednesday helped Thitiwat Cholmaneekul, 40, who sustained severe back and neck injuries from impact, out of his Honda Accord car.
A car lift? Is that normal?

well I spotted it too, head snake.

the cable snapped because he took his honda up to the flat, probably the shopping was too heavy

to carry up!

:o

seriously though, hope the guy makes a speedy recovery!

things like that can really get you down, so hope he bounces back real soon!

actually, I was being serious!

the poor guy, just trying to take his car back down, presumably, to park it safely.

And look what happens!

good thing he had his seat belt on, imagine his injuries without it!

anyone heard what colour the car was (the honda, not the lift car)?

Or fake locally made cables, which several well known lift manufacturers have told me is a disturbingly common practice here.

The irony of course is that's how all these rich pr+cks make their money here. They swap the 'contracted' part for a cheap immitation, invoice for the real one, and pocket the difference. Too bad Mr. Pumisumichiawongmaijingchainakrap wasn't the f+cker who's Benz was in the lift that day - with his mia noi of course for good measure, huh?

Oh and the part I love the most is how they think they are so clever. It's a no-brainer...and that why they are so afraid of competition cause they are no brainers...welcome the coup of course...keep the foreigners away!

Edited by thaigene2

Another elevator connected story here, bit a bit more light hearted.

This girl who lived in my old condo would wait ages for the elevator on the 9th floor, get in and take it to the EIGHTH FLOOR ! so she didn't have to walk down a couple of steps which were directly adjacent to the lift itself.

I have never seen a finer or more absurd display of laziness in my entire life :o

This girl who lived in my old condo would wait ages for the elevator on the 9th floor, get in and take it to the EIGHTH FLOOR ! so she didn't have to walk down a couple of steps which were directly adjacent to the lift itself.

I have never seen a finer or more absurd display of laziness in my entire life :o

Might not exactly be laziness. Could be fear of using the staircases. Ghosts? Theives?

Might not exactly be laziness. Could be fear of using the staircases. Ghosts? Theives?

Fear of ghosts is just laziness of the mind...

I have never seen a finer or more absurd display of laziness in my entire life :D

? :o

Actually just the opposite.

Happens all over the world. In a gym in London a few years ago a City worker was chopped up by a lift going doo lally when she was getting in / out.

Shhhhhh Terrenova,

Don't mention things like that, you'll ruin a perfectly good Thai bashing opportunity. :o

Edited by Maigo6

I thought modern lifts have a mechanism to stop that happening................

Modern is the operative word here, and yes it sounds like it was a car lift.The type normally found in old small condo buildings that occupy a small parcel of land with insufficient room to construct a car park with ramps, so they use car parking lifts instead.

Seeing how *ehem* well car parks are looked after in grade A condo's may give you an idea of how well a lift in a car park of an old condo in Phayathai will be maintained...

Edited by quiksilva

the poor guy, just trying to take his car back down, presumably, to park it safely.

And look what happens!

How did you know he had his seat belt on? And also I don't see seat belts are going to help in this accident.

Did she scrape her feet when walking?

And look what happens!

How did you know he had his seat belt on? And also I don't see seat belts are going to help in this accident.

not factual, just a guess. assumed it, as there was no mention of him going thru the windscreen.