Mourihino Leaves Chelsea?

Prakanong

Just to expand / update from Mr Toad's snippet

Grant set to take over at Chelsea

:o ....who ?

Mourinho was opposed to Grant's appointment in the summer

Chelsea are set to name Avram Grant as their new manager replacing former boss Jose Mourinho, BBC Sport understands.

The Israeli, who was the director of football, will now take charge with Steve Clarke as his assistant.

Grant is expected to be named at Stamford Bridge later today, BBC Sport's Garry Richardson has revealed.

The 51-year-old is a close friend of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and his summer arrival at the club came after opposition from Mourinho.

Once appointed, Mourinho told Grant not to interfere with team affairs but the Israeli held a strong position with a post on the board.

Grant previously held the position of technical director at Portsmouth before going to Chelsea.

And he guided Israel to the brink of World Cup qualification in 2006, having also coached Maccabi Tel-Aviv and Maccabi Haifa.

Former Chelsea player and BBC pundit Gavin Peacock said the appointment was a surprise and Grant would need to work hard to maintain team morale.

"If you're bringing in someone like (Russia manager) Guus Hiddink, then you're bringing in someone of great repute, as for Grant, I don't know.

"I think the heart of the team will be affected by (Mourinho's departure). It will be very difficult to get that team spirit that Mourinho managed to manufacture very quickly at Chelsea."

Avi Cohen, the chairman of the Israeli Football Association and friend of Grant said that the reaction in Israel was one of shock also.

"Avram Grant is very successful in Israel. He won the championship with several teams and he knows football," he said.

"Even so it is a shock that he was chosen. (Previously) he said that he had a very good position at Chelsea. With Abramovich, he is a very good friend and Abramovich believed in him.

"I'm not sure that he won't be successful more than anyone else. If he has the ability he can be successful."

This will be interesting.....if true.... :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just heard the news :D:D .

It's pretty obvious why he's left and for once I've got a bit of respect for Mourinho.

I can see Chelski going the way of Madrid from now who employ managers that are told who they must buy and if they go a few years with out one of the big 2 trophies then they get sacked.

I can't see Avram Grant lasting that long and I reckon Jurgen Klinsmann will be the one Abramovic opts for in the end. He was quoted recently when linked to the Spurs job that he wants to wait for the chance to manage a team in the champions league.

Wonder what the odds were on Mourinho being the first manager to leave :o:D .

Its a sad sad day when a good and successful manager has to leave a club, because of the owner.

Although, if you can't buy or sell players till the summer or January, why can you sack and appoint new managers. Maybe they should be governed the same way....!

redrus

why can you sack and appoint new managers. Maybe they should be governed the same way....!

I concur. At least it might stop all the premature sackings

Jock, can you set up a poll (up at your end of the main footy board-sticky) for a day or two.?

Me and MrB (and you-edit-posted same time) agree on the above, I'd like to know others feelings too....?

I only thought of it when I heard the news this morning and I think it'd be a sound move by the FA to implement it. I would presume, the only reason its not in place is that there are no transfer fee's to speak of but, for me, the rules should be the same.

redrus

Edited by redrus

why can you sack and appoint new managers. Maybe they should be governed the same way....!

Jock, can you set up a poll (up at your end of the main footy board-sticky) for a day or two.?

Me and MrB (and you-edit-posted same time) agree on the above, I'd like to know others feelings too....?

I only thought of it when I heard the news this morning and I think it'd be a sound move by the FA to implement it. I would presume, the only reason its not in place is that there are no transfer fee's to speak of but, for me, the rules should be the same.

redrus

You do the Poll and i'll pin it.

IMO it started to turn when Ballack and Shevchenko came , JM didn't want them - the balance was upset.

Now Chelski have some great players but who will be able to manage them like 'The Special One' could? Great players are not enough alone - just look at England.... :o

redrus

You do the Poll and i'll pin it.

Poll posted and pinned at the top of the main page. :o

redrus

IMO it started to turn when Ballack and Shevchenko came , JM didn't want them - the balance was upset.

Now Chelski have some great players but who will be able to manage them like 'The Special One' could? Great players are not enough alone - just look at England.... :o

Wasn't it at Hearts in the Scottish PL that all that discontent was stirred because their foreign owner chose the team over the manager ?

I can foresee a similar situation arising at Chelski.

From the BBC:-

Mourinho expecting £25m pay-off :o

Jose Mourinho is said to be relieved that he is leaving Chelsea

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is in line to receive up to £25m in compensation after his departure from Stamford Bridge, BBC Sport understands.

The Portuguese was swiftly replaced on Thursday by former director of football Avram Grant after three years in charge of the Blues.

But he still has another three years to run on his reputed £5.2m-a-year deal.

Lawyers for both sides are still working on the severance package that will include confidentiality clauses.

More here:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/7004780.stm

No pay off of any kind has been made.

Jose is still at Stamford Bridge, discussions are ongoing.

redrus

Chelsea say Mourinho had to leave

Jose Mourinho is said to be relieved that he is leaving Chelsea

Jose Mourinho left Stamford Bridge because the relationship between club and manager broke down, say Chelsea.

Mourinho stunned football by parting company with Chelsea late on Wednesday, and has been replaced by Avram Grant.

"The reason the decision has been taken is that we believed the breakdown started to impact on the performance of the team," said a Chelsea statement.

"Recent results supported this view. We did not want this to continue or affect the club further."

Mourinho made an emotional farewell to his players at Chelsea's Cobham training ground on Thursday, an occasion that is understood to have left striker Didier Drogba in tears.

And following the shock news, the club released an "open letter to its fans" to thank supporters for their "patience and understanding during what has been a difficult time".

We had all reached a point where the relationship between the club and Jose had broken down. This was despite genuine attempts over several months by all parties to resolve certain differences

Chelsea statement

The statement said: "It is only right that we explain the reasons behind Jose Mourinho leaving Chelsea and also recognise the immense contribution he has made to the club and to English football.

"Early this morning we announced that Chelsea and Jose Mourinho had agreed to part company by mutual consent.

"The key phrase here is that there was mutual agreement. Jose did not resign and he was not sacked.

"What is clear, though, is we had all reached a point where the relationship between the club and Jose had broken down. This was despite genuine attempts over several months by all parties to resolve certain differences."

And the club praised Mourinho for his achievements at the club, which included winning successive Premier League titles.

"Chelsea's long-term football objectives and ambitions remain unchanged and the appointment of Avram Grant and Steve Clarke is aimed at continuing to achieve those goals.

"We also must pay tribute to the great job Jose did for Chelsea. He has been the most successful manager the club has known and he rightly deserves that place in our history.

"Jose has been instrumental in putting Chelsea where it is today, among the leading clubs in European and world football.

"He will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge, whether as the guest of Chelsea or as the manager of another club, and he will be given the reception and respect his position in our history deserves."

Grant, 52, steps up to the role of Chelsea manager from director of football and will be assisted by Steve Clarke.

The Israeli is due to be unveiled at a news conference on Friday.

Mourinho, meanwhile, is in line to receive up to £25m in compensation after three years in charge of the Blues, BBC Sport understands.

The Portuguese still has another three years to run on his reputed £5.2m-a-year deal.

Lawyers for both sides are still working on the severance package that will include confidentiality clauses.

According to BBC football correspondent Jonathan Legard, discussions are said to be well advanced as the split was seen coming.

Legard has also been told Mourinho has felt a sense of relief since the departure.

"He's felt boxed-in from demands on high, he's felt boxed-in from the boardroom in terms of boardroom dealings," said Legard.

"And he's felt under pressure from those alongside him in the dugout, namely the man who has succeeded him, Avram Grant."

Chelsea have confirmed that Mourinho's backroom staff have also left the club, including assistant managers Baltemar Brito and Rui Faria.

Head opposition scout Andre Villas and goalkeeping coach Silvino Louro have also departed Stamford Bridge.

Okay, maybe the compo has not been sorted, but he cerainly isn;t there according to reports

You misunderstand me fella, by 'still there' I mean he is actually at Stamford Bridge right now this minute trying to sort his pay off....! :D

redrus

Sorry, redrus, my internet con went down in the middle of posting. :o

Yeah, I'd imagine it's going to be a long night there. Have to say, can't resist a smile at this farce though.

You misunderstand me fella, by 'still there' I mean he is actually at Stamford Bridge right now this minute trying to sort his pay off....! :D

redrus

Yeah, I'd imagine it's going to be a long night there. Have to say, can't resist a smile at this farce though.

redrus

I'm saying nothing, not till after 6pm Sunday anyway.... :D

redrus

The below c&p'd rant does not necessarily entirely represent the views of the poster - but it's highly amusing nevertheless.

"Maureen-eo. This egotistical freak has just been moved on by an irredeemably evil institution who have no right to be playing football as they should be bankrupt and pleading for a game Up The Kassam, or Droylsden.

Furthermore, the charmless one, has done ABSOLUTELY FAKKING NOTHING to aid our sport.

He's famous for being full of it and a 'character', well Michael Barrymore is a 'character', need I say more?

Also for winning the Champions League with Porto - did anyone see those Porto games? They were completely full of diving, cheating, hacking, and generally conniving and odious play. Where's the greatness in that?

He has since made Filthski play the same with billions of quidsworth of players, and no style at all.

I hope he never is seen again (some hope!) and even more I hope that this is the small thing that sets in motion the great screaming vortex of doom that ends with the bluescum in the same league as Wimbledon, as they would probably have the same amount of fans."

:o

Breaking News:

Jose Mourinho has truned down the chance to be the replacement for Martin Jol at Sp*rs claiming:

"I'm not that f*cking special."

More Breaking News:

There's been an explosion at Chelsea.

Police say it's nothing to worry about as it's only the bubble bursting.

Keep an eye on the situation on the international situation at Portugal

This must be J.M,s ultimate goal and it looks very achievable from my perspective at the present time ???

If not now he will for surely be looking in that direction sometime soon, and i feel it will be mutual for the Portuguese football association and not least of all, the supporters / and it,s citizens.

As for the statement that was released by Chelsea.

It,s a diplomatic load of <deleted> and doesn,t even begin to explain the real reason behind the fall out.

What an insult to their supporters for them to be fobbed off like this first and foremost.

Then there are all the other x millions of football followers who are also well aware of the reality of the scenario of the 2006/7 season and the start of this one.

As an example of how to treat your manager look no further than Man.Utd.

In spite of several ups and downs ( by Man. Utd,s high standards that is ) the club have backed A.F. to the hilt and never comtemplated sacking him, or even thought about coming up with a lame load of cobblers to kick him out of the door.

Mutual agreement my armhole Chelsea, Sacked is the word you meant to use to facilitate the whims of your owner, who as we all know doesn,t give a shit about his proven ability, nor does he know much about the running of a team and it,s players like the ex manager, J.M. who still remains a special one, in spite of what has happened.

Make no mistake both managers have a similar passion for their teams / players / football and while one has been allowed to use his proven ability to go forward without interference from the owners, the other one hasn,t.

IMHO as always

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Keep an eye on the situation on the international situation at Portugal

This must be J.M,s ultimate goal and it looks very achievable from my perspective at the present time ???

If not now he will for surely be looking in that direction sometime soon, and i feel it will be mutual for the Portuguese football association and not least of all, the supporters / and it,s citizens.

To be fair, the possibility of Mourinho as the next Potugal manager has been touted more or less since news of his departure from Chelsea was first announced. I think that'll be reflected in the shortest betting odds that you'll find concerning his managerial future.*

*Coral have suspended betting on where Jose Mourinho's next job will be, after him taking the role as Portugese national coach was backed from 14/1 into 1/2.

The below c&p'd rant does not necessarily entirely represent the views of the poster - but it's highly amusing nevertheless.

"Maureen-eo. This egotistical freak has just been moved on by an irredeemably evil institution who have no right to be playing football as they should be bankrupt and pleading for a game Up The Kassam, or Droylsden.

Furthermore, the charmless one, has done ABSOLUTELY FAKKING NOTHING to aid our sport.

He's famous for being full of it and a 'character', well Michael Barrymore is a 'character', need I say more?

Also for winning the Champions League with Porto - did anyone see those Porto games? They were completely full of diving, cheating, hacking, and generally conniving and odious play. Where's the greatness in that?

He has since made Filthski play the same with billions of quidsworth of players, and no style at all.

I hope he never is seen again (some hope!) and even more I hope that this is the small thing that sets in motion the great screaming vortex of doom that ends with the bluescum in the same league as Wimbledon, as they would probably have the same amount of fans."

RIGHT ON