Foreigners To Study In Thai Uni

As usual, let's not get into personal insults. You can insult universities, however!

Point taken. Thank-you. I hereby insult my own university. It sucked, dude. No, I won't name it. They don't deserve the PR.

Choosing a university is like choosing anything else: determine the basis on which you will be happy with a university and find a university likely to meet that.

If you really want to make the most of university (I failed dismally on this score), figure out what you will need from your university experience in order to progress further.

An often overlooked, but vitally important, aspect of a good MBA programme, for example, is the network you develop while doing your MBA. You can do an MBA via distance learning but it may be nowhere near as useful as an MBA completed on campus. Furthermore, there might be one particular area of MBA studies or business to which you are very attracted. Why not find out who are the most respected authorities in that area, see if they teach at any business schools (they most likely do) and try to do your MBA there?

Most fields offer similar ways to "super-tweak" your education. It takes 4-5 years of solid work to complete a decent undergrad programme and several years more to enhance that foundation. Surely it is worth investing some solid research and thought in as many of the critical details of your potential universities as possible?

On the otherhand, if you are not really sure how you want to specialize, you could be better off seeking a larger university, with a bigger student body and a better overall (or average) spread of educational options. If you get halfway (or all the way) through your first year and realise you've made a huge mistake in your choice of degree or major, it might be easier to shift sideways without a painful readjustment.

With such ideas in mind, rather than simply (and rather blindly - though it's understandable) reaching out for scant and perhaps ill-informed opinions (I am NOT accusing anybody here of offering ill-informed opinions. Honest. ;-) about which universities in Thailand might or might not be worth attending, try digging a bit deeper. Think tactically AND strategically.

Do some research into the faculties at the universities. Maybe have a look on places like hi5.com, facebook.com etc., for the relevant groups of former students and try asking them for their opinions. Try asking some of the universities in your own country (or a country whose universities you might wish to attend in the future) if they have any opinions or experiences.

If you have little or no career behind you, ask HR departments at companies where you might one day seek employment for their thoughts. Also, speak to recruitment firms, particularly, if you are going to enter a more technical area, there could be some specialized recruitment firms (they don't have to be in your own city or country, use the internet) who could advise you what they think.

The bottom line is this: few 17 or 18 year-olds really know how to maximise the academic experience of their undergraduate years. It's kind of like being a toddler again. It's mostly about meeting people, developing a whole new set of skills, finding your feet in early adulthood, and figuring out what you want to do for the rest of your life. Kinda. The social scene is vitally important.

On the other hand, if you're a "mature" student (I use the term loosely), you may have many of the skills needed to make the most of university and you will be much more interested in getting your "money's worth".

Having said all that, I can offer some of my own experiences with Thai universities (none of it directly of the universities).

1. Several farang I have known (men and women) who have taught at Thai universities (including the BIG names) have said the same thing: the amount of patently obvious cheating and corruption is staggering.

2. Several Thais I have known have complained about the rigid and backwards approach at Thai universities. They enjoy little of the rather grand tradition we Europeans enjoy of debate and introspection. We did weather the Ages of Reason and Enlightenment, after all. Individuality is neither fomented nor tolerated. There is only one way to do things correctly. Every other way is wrong and is assessed accordingly.

3. I have direct experience of a large number of undergrad and postgrad students from the biggest name in Thai universities. Some of them are very good. Some of them are pathetic. My opinion is that none of them received the level of education they deserved, they think they received, or that Thailand seems to think they received. I am disgusted that so many young people have such large and irretrievable chunks of their lives basically stolen by the faculties of these "educational" institutions. On the other hand, this is Thailand. Thailand can only try its best. I have to say that I thought the "educational" institutions I attended in the West also stole a large portion of my youth from me as well, so it's hardly a Thailand-only problem but there are curious aspects (by European standards) of Thai culture and thinking that extend into education. These aspects are not beneficial to real learning.

Points 1 and 2, above, are only what I have been told. I cannot vouch for the veracity of the claims. Point 3 is my own opinion and may be hopelessly inaccurate. Don't take any of this as read. Just bear it in mind when doing your own investigation.

Crikey, I hope that lot actually helps and hasn't merely confirmed the suspicion that I'm a fool.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to note in that Higher Ed Commission report. #1 in Teaching and research was Mahidol University. Not Chula or Thammasat, although the seem to have the most vocal supporters.

I think you guys will find that in the last 10 years MU has rapidly outdistanced the other universities. They receive 3 times more research money and government allocations then their nearest rival.

I would agree with what you've said regarding Mahidol. I'm not sure Thammasat even belongs in the top 4-5 schools.

:o

T.U Belongs somewhere in the top 3 depending on what program your looking at. Just because one uni is good at one thing it doesnt mean it is better at everything.

I can't see the degree being worth much in the eyes of say a UK employer, the experience gained might outweigh it, however some employers may just think he came out here to get laid.

My first thought would instantly be that he bummed around Thailand for a few years and bought a degree on his way home.

The universities in Thailand are worthless. Their sole function is to enrich the various deans/administrators. Thais that can afford it send their kids abroad to study. If you want to learn something, this is not the place to do it.

-------------------------

FINALLY!

Thank You... :o

I initially considered merging this thread with the lengthy, pithy thread we have on the issue in the Teacher's Forum, but as it has become more of a thread about the quality of Thai universities, it's probably better off here.

In my professional opinion, you *can* get a quality education from a Thai university, but you don't really *have* to. Like most things, it's "up to you." Many people don't. Many people who do, and work hard, feel cheated later when they find out someone else just coasted through on their money. I've met extremely intelligent persons who were excellently educated from the "top" places like Chula and also from Ramkhamhaeng- and I've met absolutely idiots from both types of places, too.

I initially considered merging this thread with the lengthy, pithy thread we have on the issue in the Teacher's Forum, but as it has become more of a thread about the quality of Thai universities, it's probably better off here.

In my professional opinion, you *can* get a quality education from a Thai university, but you don't really *have* to. Like most things, it's "up to you." Many people don't. Many people who do, and work hard, feel cheated later when they find out someone else just coasted through on their money. I've met extremely intelligent persons who were excellently educated from the "top" places like Chula and also from Ramkhamhaeng- and I've met absolutely idiots from both types of places, too.

I think that can be the same in any country. Two friends of mine doing the same undergraduate course as me in the UK, were absent for most of the second and third years. One of them happened to be the son of a deputy prime minister (not UK) and it seemed none of the staff were willing to complain. Although they did their work they were just never there in person so they may just have well enrolled in Open University!

A friend of mine who has been to thaland many times, is going back to university in uk he thought as a mature student(25), but he wants to know could he go to a university in bkk instead and study marketing as he hates the winter in the uk and just wants a degree.

But the main problem is can he do the degree all through english, if so does that mean with other thai and farang students and will his degree from a bkk uni be any use to him in europe if he needed it.

i suppose he will have to pay for all of it himself cant see the uk goverment funding him in a foreign country?

There are several aspects to choosing a university. Some have to do with how well your degree will be respected by others: "name" and reputation, quality of the particular department you're interested in within that university, as well as "hook-ups" with potential employers (cooperative programs, internships, etc), chance for doing research as an undergrad and developing relationships with important professors, (important if you care about grad school), and some have to do with how much you will personally enjoy/get out of the experience: quality of the program, the teachers, the other students, location, etc. Then other things like cost, possibility for scholarships, etc. I have a good long think about all of these issues before choosing any uni, Thai or otherwise.

Personally, I went to one of the top unis in my country, the name looks good on my resume, and I feel proud for having made it through, (sorry for bragging -- I just graduated, so I'm feeling pretty happy about it :-) but I had a miserable time there. Knowing then what I know now, I might have chosen a second-tier place, or at least a slightly nicer top place. Top places provide access to professors doing good research, good quality students sitting next to you, but they are not always very kind places to be. Also, many schools get their prestigious reputations for their research and grad programs, which doesn't necessarily translate to a good experience for undergrads.

Some people can really shine in a less prestigious uni when it turns out to be a good fit for them, where they might flop in a top place because they're not happy there. But they really have go above and beyond to distinguish themselves by getting work experience, research experience, contacts, relationships, etc, doing cool projects, etc in order to get noticed.

Your friend might get something out of studying in Thailand if he plans to have a career in Asia afterwards -- from the point of view of developing relationships and connections with rising stars and future leaders -- but in Thailand, my feeling is that the children of the elite go to school abroad, anyways, so he'd have better luck meeting them at Oxford and Harvard than at Chula.

The top unis in Thailand aren't cheap for foreign students, either.

As for anything else than the top schools in Thailand -- personally, I think he'd really be handicapping himself and his future career. Even the best schools in China and India, which turn out some really smart people, have little name recognition outside of Asia. Maybe they are recognized by people who do grad schools admissions and such, as we get a lot of bright graduates from those places applying to grad school here. But again -- when the children of the elites seek admission to Western schools, and the brightest undergraduates from Asia flock to grad school in the West -- perhaps this s a sign about the quality of education in Asia?

For all that's wrong with the West, education is one of the things we do best. Personally, I reluctantly left Thailand, crying all the way home, to finish my degree in Canada (as a mature student too, like your friend) to give myself the best chance for a good future in Asia, instead of transfering to a Thai uni.

Edited by canadiangirl

" Two friends of mine doing the same undergraduate course as me in the UK, were absent for most of the second and third years...... Although they did their work they were just never there in person so they may just have well enrolled in Open University! "

Careful!

There are things that it is wise to learn about, at that stage in life, that may conflict with 100% attendance on the university's campus. So your friends may, or may not, have been looking after their own best interests by taking those absences.

I had a considerable amount of absence on Fridays and Mondays during my Final Year.

The reason was that young graduates with my speciality (Electronics and Electronic Communications) were in very short supply and high demand, so interviews were very easy to get. One could even phone up and re-arrange the date of an offered interview.

So many a Thursday night was spent in a sleeper berth on the Irish Mail that left Holyhead at midnight to arrive in London at 0630 on the Friday morning. Factory and laboratory tours and interviews on the Friday and the Monday garnered me a wealth of insight that I wouldn't have got by being on campus. That paid off when I went after a really top job that wasn't really meant to be open to 'raw graduate' applicants, and got it.

And in some ways, the difficulties of making some sense out of my pal's lecture notes taken on the Fridays and Mondays were a blessing in disguise. If I had gone to the lectures myself, I would probably have been satisfied with a superficial understanding, but I had to dig deeper to get the gist by deciphering and finding some of the mistakes in his notes.

When I became a university lecturer myself, I found that a lot of what was lauded as 'best for the students' was really what was most convenient for the staff with some spurious justification dolloped on it.

Universities are now big businesses and, just as when you patronise any big business, it is best to keep 'caveat emptor' in mind.

My thanks to the original poster for starting and walking away from one of the best threads we've had in a long while!

And thanks to Nickbkk for this gem of a point #3: "3. I have direct experience of a large number of undergrad and postgrad students from the biggest name in Thai universities. Some of them are very good. Some of them are pathetic. My opinion is that none of them received the level of education they deserved, they think they received, or that Thailand seems to think they received. I am disgusted that so many young people have such large and irretrievable chunks of their lives basically stolen by the faculties of these "educational" institutions. On the other hand, this is Thailand. Thailand can only try its best. I have to say that I thought the "educational" institutions I attended in the West also stole a large portion of my youth from me as well, so it's hardly a Thailand-only problem but there are curious aspects (by European standards) of Thai culture and thinking that extend into education. These aspects are not beneficial to real learning."

Crosby Stills and Nash could have been saying to teachers as well, "Parents, teach your children well."

I have always planned to work overseas and in asia specifically (but not Japan or Korea or Signapore or Hong Kong), so I thought the experience far outweighed the fact that the school I went to was not as highly ranked. The school I transfered from was ranked 42 in the US for its MBA program by the Wall Street Journal about 5 years ago but I wasn't happy with the International Business program, it didn't seem to be much different from the general business degree.

The way I looked at it, experience trumps everything else. Many have already said that what university you go to only really matters for your first job. Thats because most graduates don't really have much to offer other than that.

Its important to keep in mind that I would only be aplying for jobs that would entail working with MNCs with the career path in mind of working outside the US.

Now you are screening applicants for this type of company who is looking for someone that will eventually be able to fill those shoes. Who do you want? Someone who was able to move to a strange country, learn the language in a very short time, study and work in an environment where cross cultural issues are common place, who has done internships with both an American owned company and 2 Thai owned companies in that country and so you know right from the start will be able to handle an overseas assignment without making a runner for the airport after a couple of months.

In addition to this he has also done short study abroad trips in 3 other countries and lived in another asian country for a year and speaks a third language (all be it quite poorly these days, but with a short refesher course...). He has also done internships with a large American auto maker (in the US) as well as some other non related work experience (also in the US).

Or do you take the guy who went to a bit higher ranked University and nothing else?

I don't have any regrets, I think I made the right choice...

Most but not all of the male foreign students studying in the thai universities are only in it for the girls lol ...

[\quote]

At Chula, it seems to me that maybe 90% of the students are 18 year old women, which could be a big temptation for me. However, I have to bear 2 things in mind:

1 - Most of them are 'daddy's' rich little girl and daddy would not be too pleased if some old farang started interfering with them :o

2 - My wife would kill me.

Still, it's nice eye-candy and makes my attendance more enjoyable

Simon

Concerning the comment that you can get good and bad from bad and good universities in any country:

My eldest brother graduated with a BA and PhD from Queens College, Cambridge in Natural Physics. He worked in government radar/maths research for 25 years, plays the violin with Nigel Kennedy and is the boyfriend of Kate Bush (yes really!). He is an extremely intelligent and likeable guy.

My middle brother graduated from King's College, Cambridge with an MA in Cosmology and studied/co-authored technical papers with his lecturer - Professor Steve Hawkins. He is a <deleted>

I graduated from University College London with an MSc in Space Communications. I am a <deleted> at times, but also a very likeable guy :o

Simon

My thanks to the original poster for starting and walking away from one of the best threads we've had in a long while!

And thanks to Nickbkk for this gem of a point #3: "3. I have direct experience of a large number of undergrad and postgrad students from the biggest name in Thai universities. Some of them are very good. Some of them are pathetic. My opinion is that none of them received the level of education they deserved, they think they received, or that Thailand seems to think they received. I am disgusted that so many young people have such large and irretrievable chunks of their lives basically stolen by the faculties of these "educational" institutions. On the other hand, this is Thailand. Thailand can only try its best. I have to say that I thought the "educational" institutions I attended in the West also stole a large portion of my youth from me as well, so it's hardly a Thailand-only problem but there are curious aspects (by European standards) of Thai culture and thinking that extend into education. These aspects are not beneficial to real learning."

Crosby Stills and Nash could have been saying to teachers as well, "Parents, teach your children well."

Please don't forget Neil Young ! Sorry to be anal - what I really want to say is that I fully agree with the quoted point by Nickbkk .

Also, I would like to relate my own experience, gained as an undergraduate and postgraduate student at two of the UKs finest universities along with a limited amount of teaching at one of those universities and several years of part-time tutoring at a mid-low rated UK university (ex-polytechnic). First of all I feel strongly that students should really make the most of their time at university. I agree with previous posters that, depending on the subject and career choices, very large portions of the knowlegde acquired will never be used again in the students life; however this is missing the point. University education provides a wonderful opportunity to learn *how* to learn; rather than just learn how to assimilate facts and regurgitate them a short time later, as is the emphasis in most of secondary education (at least it was when I was at school). That is not to say that many students don't just follow the parrot-learning path at university too - and this is my point - there exists the opportunity for so much more. This is great for those students who really *want* to learn, rather than just get a degree, regardless of their own abilities - I never ceased to be amazed by the teaching staff at an ex-polytechnic where I taught - they were there principally because they wanted to teach - not to do research (although of course they welcomed the limited opportunites they got to do research) and the quality of their teaching was, IMHO, absolutely fantastic - they really made the effort to make their subjects interesting to the students, who for the most part were not high achievers academically. And it should go without saying that the subject matter at undergraduate level does not warrant having a lecturer who is the foremost talent in his/her field. Contrast that with the top universities where I studied in London, where some of the staff were at the pinnacle of their field, and had absolutely no interest at all in teaching undergraduates, except perhaps ones that were stand-out genius material. They only began to show a little interest in the final year as they observed who might become their next PhD students. I find it ironic that the brightest students were in the institutions where they received the worst teaching from staff who just wanted to do research; whereas the academically gifted benefitted from exemplary teaching from staff who actually wanted to teach. I suppose it's a kind of levelling out mechanism. Anyway, the fact is that universities tend to be judged on the basis of the research that is done, and not on something as subjective as the quality of teaching. When in comes to graduate recruitment into sought-after programs, many companies simply throw away any applications that are not from their short-list of universities. For this reason alone despite everything I just said, my advice to any prospective undergraduate is to go for the best ranked university that your education/experience/funding will allow, and most importantly to really make the most of it !

Most but not all of the male foreign students studying in the thai universities are only in it for the girls lol ...

[\quote]

It is not unknown for staff in British universities to have to tolerate a fair number who are "only here for the lager and the lasses". And their counterparts who are "nowt but husband hunters".

But if it is the case of "Just" getting a degree then IMO a University in Thailand is the same same as a degree from Bognor (or Birmingham?) University.........in my experiance any degree shows that a person is capable of some learning, but does not mean they are capable in the work place - but in practice a degree does tend to let folk in the door to be given the chance to prove themselves. Think of it as a glorified reference.

Didn't realise that there was a Bognor University, maybe you meant Bangor? Anyway, what's wrong with Birmingham University? I think that you will find that it is a well respected University. Bangor, from my understanding is another well respected University in the UK, and certainly couldn't be compared to some of the Universities in Thailand.

According to recent Rankings it is at 92, whereas I fail to see any Thai Universities including Chula or Thammaset on the sjtu list, which from my understanding is a well established and credible source. I think to compare some of the universities in Thailand with an established red brick university in the UK is pushing it a little. Birmingham in other rankings is still rated higher than the two top Thai universities. :o

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

Sorry, had to defend Birmingham on this one.

:D Their MBA is ranked quite well in the UK as well I beleive.

Never mind Jersey - he knows not of what he speaks

I have always planned to work overseas and in asia specifically (but not Japan or Korea or Signapore or Hong Kong), so I thought the experience far outweighed the fact that the school I went to was not as highly ranked. The school I transfered from was ranked 42 in the US for its MBA program by the Wall Street Journal about 5 years ago but I wasn't happy with the International Business program, it didn't seem to be much different from the general business degree.

The way I looked at it, experience trumps everything else. Many have already said that what university you go to only really matters for your first job. Thats because most graduates don't really have much to offer other than that.

Its important to keep in mind that I would only be aplying for jobs that would entail working with MNCs with the career path in mind of working outside the US.

Now you are screening applicants for this type of company who is looking for someone that will eventually be able to fill those shoes. Who do you want? Someone who was able to move to a strange country, learn the language in a very short time, study and work in an environment where cross cultural issues are common place, who has done internships with both an American owned company and 2 Thai owned companies in that country and so you know right from the start will be able to handle an overseas assignment without making a runner for the airport after a couple of months.

In addition to this he has also done short study abroad trips in 3 other countries and lived in another asian country for a year and speaks a third language (all be it quite poorly these days, but with a short refesher course...). He has also done internships with a large American auto maker (in the US) as well as some other non related work experience (also in the US).

Or do you take the guy who went to a bit higher ranked University and nothing else?

I am with you most of the way but the limiting of your countries would have me asking questions.

I am totally mobile and i would want my guys mobile - saying you want to work in Asia but not certin countries would limit you - I work as a Asia regional mamager in IT for a very large company - we can move jobs and projects around pretty quickly - would you run for the airport in 2 months because you were not in Thailand?

Guys who are doing anything just to be in Thailand set alarm bells ringing big time and we do not want to find out anything later.

But if it is the case of "Just" getting a degree then IMO a University in Thailand is the same same as a degree from Bognor (or Birmingham?) University.........in my experiance any degree shows that a person is capable of some learning, but does not mean they are capable in the work place - but in practice a degree does tend to let folk in the door to be given the chance to prove themselves. Think of it as a glorified reference.

Didn't realise that there was a Bognor University, maybe you meant Bangor? Anyway, what's wrong with Birmingham University? I think that you will find that it is a well respected University. Bangor, from my understanding is another well respected University in the UK, and certainly couldn't be compared to some of the Universities in Thailand.

According to recent Rankings it is at 92, whereas I fail to see any Thai Universities including Chula or Thammaset on the sjtu list, which from my understanding is a well established and credible source. I think to compare some of the universities in Thailand with an established red brick university in the UK is pushing it a little. Birmingham in other rankings is still rated higher than the two top Thai universities. :o

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

Sorry, had to defend Birmingham on this one.

:D Their MBA is ranked quite well in the UK as well I beleive.

Never mind Jersey - he knows not of what he speaks

mmmmm, I don't recall ever mentioning MBA's........and BTW the reference to Bognor Regis (part of the English Riviera :D ) was half a joke. Well, a couple of days ago it was.

I am with you most of the way but the limiting of your countries would have me asking questions.

I am totally mobile and i would want my guys mobile - saying you want to work in Asia but not certin countries would limit you - I work as a Asia regional mamager in IT for a very large company - we can move jobs and projects around pretty quickly - would you run for the airport in 2 months because you were not in Thailand?

Guys who are doing anything just to be in Thailand set alarm bells ringing big time and we do not want to find out anything later.

I am not limiting my countries, I would be willing to work else where. I am just saying that my original plan was to work in a developing country in Asia but if other opportunities presented themselves I am still interested. But for now it looks like Thailand, I have been offered a couple of good positions here.

I am not limiting my countries, I would be willing to work else where. I am just saying that my original plan was to work in a developing country in Asia but if other opportunities presented themselves I am still interested. But for now it looks like Thailand, I have been offered a couple of good positions here.

OK - I just read it as limiting when you said "but not XXX".

From what i see the "newer" guys tend not to be sent to developing MNC's - ie usually guys with decade or so of experience under their belt.

Having said that i know a guy who did 1 year of a UK Uni degree in Thailand and he got a pretty decet job in the hotel industry in Thailand.

Just a personal view but my ideal would be HQ - then Regional HQ then a country in a region as the path but it obviously can not always work like that.

I work for a very large company as I said and the numbers working outside their own country are in Asia-Pac. Europe probably next, then latina with USA/Canada and Africa/ME following up.

This week on a course back in Europe it is the Canadian lobbying me most for work in Asia but only as a placement not a move

Yeah, the origonal plan was to get the international experience here, go back to the states and work for a few years but being very up front about what my career goals would be with my employer, and try to move myself down the path that would bring me back to asia. I thought I would try to find something here but I wasn't certain if it would be posible, I figured worst case I will go back and go that route, best case I can find something here. Since I have been here I have found opportunities than may allow me to skip the going back to the US part and continue to work and gain experience here.