Foreigners To Study In Thai Uni

Also, this thread began with a dubious enquiry for an easy marketing course for an unmotivated Brit to take in a Thai undergraduate school. Even highly ranked graduate programs in the West are famous for having their graduate students teaching undergrad courses as teaching assistants to classes of 100 or more. I went to a lower level, low ranked, private liberal arts college where most classes were below 20 in size, and most professors had real doctorates in their field. Only Chula and Thammasat make it onto the list of world ranked unis, usually near the bottom if at all, and that's partly on the strength of their graduate programs.

It's an interesting discussion, even for the not-just-another-silly-absent-farang who has left the discussion.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s meant to be a topic on under graduate studies. I agree with you that Thai universities don’t seem to do much research but this doesn’t really have anything to do with how good their under grad degree programs are. Especially in fields such as marketing and business. You may be correct about M.A and higher programs. Most people appear to do there B.a in Thailand and go overseas to finish there studies.

Why are you reluctant to tell us what your field of work is?

Edited by madjbs

Top Thai universities such as Chula or Thammasat are well respected in academic world. If you have done well, it is enough to get you in top universities in US, UK or elsewhere. However, I'm not sure about employment prospect. I think it's worthless if you want to use a Thai degree to get a job in London.

To answer the OP (who's gone suspiciously quiet :o )

Why does your friend want to study in Thailand? Because of the cold in the UK???? :D

Secondly, how is he going to pay for it? Four years tuition, food, lodgings and "entertainmnt" wouldn't come cheap.

If he wants to learn about Thailand, why doesn't he try and get into SOAS in London? Or Leeds? A degree from either of these would be highly respected and he would more than likely spend a year or more abroad.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Some of the universities in Thailand are highly respected internationally. However, a degree from Thailand held by a farang may be met with a raised eyebrow. The graduate may be required to submit to thorough testing to determine conclusively whether he left his four year stay in Thailand with more than a mild collection of sexually transmitted viral entities.

what about western ladies who, like me, want to study in Thailand, does that also applies to the them..?

I can't see the degree being worth much in the eyes of say a UK employer, the experience gained might outweigh it, however some employers may just think he came out here to get laid.

My first thought would instantly be that he bummed around Thailand for a few years and bought a degree on his way home.

The universities in Thailand are worthless. Their sole function is to enrich the various deans/administrators. Thais that can afford it send their kids abroad to study. If you want to learn something, this is not the place to do it.

Complete utter rubbish, you dont know what your talking about im afraid.

Chula and Thammasat are both good, respected unis with english programs. And despite what you may think they are not there just to make the deans rich.

Here is the link to the Thammasat BBA program, http://www.bus.tu.ac.th/bba/

Whats the entrance requirements for the International Program at ABAC? Must be pretty high, right?

It is true that Thai Universities don't do much research and that hurts them in the international rankings but in my opinion I feel that the University rankings are far to heavily weighted in that direction. The more research the University does the less time professors tend to spend with their students and in many cases that means students are taught primarily by grad students.

That being said, this is the system we have to work within.

I am going to school at Mahidol University at will be graduating this year and I can say that I am happy with the quality of education that I received here and I feel very confident that I could market myself effectively for a job back in the US with my degree. I am studying International Business, so the international experience that I am gaining here is very marketable.

At the very least my resume will stand out a bit, which may help me to get an interview. If I can get into the interview, I am certain I can sell myself.

Another thing that students studying here or anywhere overseas should think about doing is getting their creditials evaluated, http://www.wes.org/students/index.asp , it is worth the money and will greatly increase your chances of gaining employment. Most people won't know your University or be bothered to research if it compares in anyway to a US education (I said US but you can insert any country you like here, I realize everyone is not from the US) so if the see this report then I think you should be ok.

If you are thinking about what schools to go to then go to the preview page and spend the 20 USD to get a preview of 2 Universities in Thailand to see how they compare.

To digress slightly. I am a 55 yo male farang, a senior Emergency/Remote nurse in Australia.

Have BSc etc. I am retiring to Toyland in January, but knowing me as I do, I will be on the grog every day unless I have a distraction. Anyone have any suggestions about picking up some teaching work in a Thai University? Do they teach nurses in English or Thai. Is an Australian BSc enough? I want to retire in Pattaya, anyone know if they teach Nursing in Chonburi?

post-46962-1190539906_thumb.jpg

I can't see the degree being worth much in the eyes of say a UK employer, the experience gained might outweigh it, however some employers may just think he came out here to get laid.

My first thought would instantly be that he bummed around Thailand for a few years and bought a degree on his way home.

The universities in Thailand are worthless. Their sole function is to enrich the various deans/administrators. Thais that can afford it send their kids abroad to study. If you want to learn something, this is not the place to do it.

Complete utter rubbish, you dont know what your talking about im afraid.

Chula and Thammasat are both good, respected unis with english programs. And despite what you may think they are not there just to make the deans rich.

Here is the link to the Thammasat BBA program, http://www.bus.tu.ac.th/bba/

An English Language program in even a top University in a 3rd world country still doesn't mean that much. It might if you know a lot about the University in particular but how many UK employees are going to? Likely if its a choice between this candidate and someone with a 'proper' degree (in their view) they will go with the other candidate.

So what Uni are you a visiting professor of?

Please remember that we are talking about international programs at the 2 Top Universities.

NOT teaching english at some unknown school in the suburbs of Bangkok (and some more well known ones for that matter)

And if you beleive that Thai academics are not respected then its purly a racist reason. For example, out of the faculty of economics international program staff at T.U, 95% have Phds from western universities.

I am not an English teacher...........my comments are not racially motivated. I am familiar with the top universities in Thailand. Being at the top of my field of study, I am qualified to judge the level of academic scholarship in Thailand and elsewhere. Having a Ph.D. means little in terms of top quality research.

This is not "my view." I have heard a few Thai scholars say the same thing about higher academia in Thailand. I have heard UN officials say the same thing. I have heard scholars from abroad say the same thing. If you are inside the loop, what I said is not controversial. It is obvious.

But think what you want. I am not saying there are not a few good scholars.........but they can be counted on one hand.

You are at the top of your field of study - that is quite some claim. And yet you live and teach at university in a country where you think the the universities "are worthless" ? There seems to be some inconsistency there.

Obviously there is no point trying to compare the top universities in thailand with those in the west. However I believe that Chula and Thamassat do compare similarly with middle-ranking institutions in the west, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level.

It’s meant to be a topic on under graduate studies. I agree with you that Thai universities don’t seem to do much research but this doesn’t really have anything to do with how good their under grad degree programs are. Especially in fields such as marketing and business. You may be correct about M.A and higher programs. Most people appear to do there B.a in Thailand and go overseas to finish there studies.

Why are you reluctant to tell us what your field of work is?

I value privacy......that is why I am not being more specific. Maybe I went a bit too far........Thai universities do produce competent dentists and nurses and some biologists.......I would say they are very weak in physics, chemistry, engineering, social sciences, IT.....

More on the possibility that I am being racists.........I would advise the OP to study and get a degree in any of the following Asian countries before considering Thailand: Singapore, Malaysia, China, India.

These four countries are way ahead of Thailand in terms of higher academia (many of the universities in these countries have outstanding reputations). In these countries you find scholars that are recognized worldwide.

I am painting with a broad brush. But I can say that I have never accepted a scientific article from any Thai scholar (I participate in several peer review scientific journals). The exact opposite is the case for the four countries I mentioned.

The business world is outside my domain of expertise.......so is teaching English. Maybe Thailand is better there. My advise to the OP is to check the situation out carefully before making a firm decision. Thailand is a place (or used to be a place) to relax and have fun........it has never been known for its academic scene.

I think folk are getting a little bit confused between whether the learning gained from a Thai degree is worth the same as a UK / US Degree AND whether it would be a marketable degree when it comes to employment.

FWIW..........

If your dream job involves your degree subject matter on the techincal side (being a Rocket Scientist? :o ) then better off sticking to a Farang university - both because the degree contents will be more relevent and because it's credibility is known.

Of course Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard (and a no doubt a few more I have never heard of who are the known "Good ones" for certain subjects / fields) are not going to be surpassed in reputation when it comes to job hunting in the West.

But if it is the case of "Just" getting a degree then IMO a University in Thailand is the same same as a degree from Bognor (or Birmingham?) University.........in my experiance any degree shows that a person is capable of some learning, but does not mean they are capable in the work place - but in practice a degree does tend to let folk in the door to be given the chance to prove themselves. Think of it as a glorified reference.

But if you have a work record then IME this more than trumps a Degree.........cos' then you are in the land of proffesional qualifications........which is where IMO a Thai Degree needs to be judged - would it let you start proffessional qualifications in exactly the same way as degree from the University of Bognor? (ie taking away completely any snob value and ignoring the fact that a degree in Papier Maché from either Thailand or Bognor is not actually worth anything in the real world apart from being an accredited degree).

Having said that if a CV passed my desk with a Uni in Thailand on it, it would stand out (which IMO is never a bad thing), but I would be curious to know the circumstances that led to someone taking a degree in that part of the world......and I would suggest that someone should have a good story to explain the decision to spend 3/4 years in the Land of Cheap Prostitutes instead of working. I know I have one :D

I am retiring to Toyland ......... in ... Anyone have any suggestions about picking up some teaching work

[\quote]

The words 'retiring' and 'work' don't really blend together in Thailand! Check out the visa forum for more details...

Simon

Having said that if a CV passed my desk with a Uni in Thailand on it, it would stand out (which IMO is never a bad thing), but I would be curious to know the circumstances that led to someone taking a degree in that part of the world......and I would suggest that someone should have a good story to explain the decision to spend 3/4 years in the Land of Cheap Prostitutes instead of working. I know I have one :D

So I guess that means I get my interview :o

But if it is the case of "Just" getting a degree then IMO a University in Thailand is the same same as a degree from Bognor (or Birmingham?) University.........in my experiance any degree shows that a person is capable of some learning, but does not mean they are capable in the work place - but in practice a degree does tend to let folk in the door to be given the chance to prove themselves. Think of it as a glorified reference.

Didn't realise that there was a Bognor University, maybe you meant Bangor? Anyway, what's wrong with Birmingham University? I think that you will find that it is a well respected University. Bangor, from my understanding is another well respected University in the UK, and certainly couldn't be compared to some of the Universities in Thailand.

According to recent Rankings it is at 92, whereas I fail to see any Thai Universities including Chula or Thammaset on the sjtu list, which from my understanding is a well established and credible source. I think to compare some of the universities in Thailand with an established red brick university in the UK is pushing it a little. Birmingham in other rankings is still rated higher than the two top Thai universities. :o

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

Sorry, had to defend Birmingham on this one.

From post #43:

"My advise to the OP is to check the situation out carefully before making a firm decision. Thailand is a place (or used to be a place) to relax and have fun........it has never been known for its academic scene. "

I find it strange that such a 'top academic' puts 'advise' where 'advice' would be correct. That is something that should have been mastered well before the time of taking even the first undergraduate courses.

"Academic scenes" are as useful to us as what we get out of roaming in them. I have interviewed, for academic jobs, graduates from both 'prestigous' universities and 'unknown' universities, and found some mundane graduates and some very competent graduates from both.

Where the studying had been done never had the slightest influence on whether or not I put the candidate on the shortlist. It was what shone out of the covering letter as to how the candidate had developed during the undertaking of the studies that decided that.

At interviews, however, I was always more impressed by the candidates who had made capital out of adversity than the ones who had had everything served up on a plate.

The reason for that was that I was looking for people who would likely measure up best to the job as it was envisaged, and who were likely to cope best with the unexpected that we weren't in a position to envisage.

My advice to all undergraduate and graduate students is that, wherever they study, they should reflect on what was valuable to them in the experience and be prepared to show that they have done so, first in their covering letter, and then in more detail at interview.

Didn't realise that there was a Bognor University, maybe you meant Bangor? Anyway, what's wrong with Birmingham University? I think that you will find that it is a well respected University. Bangor, from my understanding is another well respected University in the UK, and certainly couldn't be compared to some of the Universities in Thailand.

According to recent Rankings it is at 92, whereas I fail to see any Thai Universities including Chula or Thammaset on the sjtu list, which from my understanding is a well established and credible source. I think to compare some of the universities in Thailand with an established red brick university in the UK is pushing it a little. Birmingham in other rankings is still rated higher than the two top Thai universities. :D

Bangor, Bognor, Birmingham, Chula or Thammaset all same same to me = a "genuine" degree.

The point I was trying to make was (with the exception of the branded Unis - Oxford, Cambridge and Harvard etc AND those degrees which provide basic training / knowledge for your later job) a degree is just a degree and most are used primarily as a reference to gain entry into a job by showing you are capable of learning job related stuff - but it ain't a guarantee of any sorts. Unfortunately :D:o

After someone has their foot in the door a degree is as relevent as a GCSEl. (for our American freinds that is the equivalent of advanced crayonning :bah:)........Once in the door a degree only then needs to be accepted by proffessional societies as a genuine degree. So if a Thai Uni degree is accepted as equivalent to a Farang Uni degree then it does not matter that in reality the student in Farangland learnt more about the field of Papier Maché than his Thai equivalent - when you both are now doing Accountancy :D or working at McD :D or something equally not directly related to the actual Degree subject.

20 years after finally leaving school if you are relying principally on a piece of paper from school to be marketable then IMO you have / will have problems.

BTW No offence meant to Birmingham..................Poly :bah:

:D:D

But any further would depend on your "story".......not to say their are not 100% good reasons to have a Thai degree. And to be honest if I thought the person was right for the job then even a "bad reason" would not bother me - but I suspect I probably am in minority with that attitude :D

:D:D

But any further would depend on your "story".......not to say their are not 100% good reasons to have a Thai degree. And to be honest if I thought the person was right for the job then even a "bad reason" would not bother me - but I suspect I probably am in minority with that attitude :D

At the end of the day that remains true for all aplicants and all stories...

But I don't think I will be able to put my theory to the test because I have been given a couple of good job offers here in Thailand, so I don't have any plans on heading back to the US anytime soon.

According to recent Rankings it is at 92, whereas I fail to see any Thai Universities including Chula or Thammaset on the sjtu list, which from my understanding is a well established and credible source. I think to compare some of the universities in Thailand with an established red brick university in the UK is pushing it a little. Birmingham in other rankings is still rated higher than the two top Thai universities. :bah:

Bangor, Bognor, Birmingham, Chula or Thammaset all same same to me = a "genuine" degree.

The point I was trying to make was (with the exception of the branded Unis - Oxford, Cambridge and Harvard etc AND those degrees which provide basic training / knowledge for your later job) a degree is just a degree and most are used primarily as a reference to gain entry into a job by showing you are capable of learning job related stuff - but it ain't a guarantee of any sorts. Unfortunately :D:o

After someone has their foot in the door a degree is as relevent as a GCSEl. (for our American freinds that is the equivalent of advanced crayonning :bah:)........Once in the door a degree only then needs to be accepted by proffessional societies as a genuine degree. So if a Thai Uni degree is accepted as equivalent to a Farang Uni degree then it does not matter that in reality the student in Farangland learnt more about the field of Papier Maché than his Thai equivalent - when you both are now doing Accountancy :D or working at McD :D or something equally not directly related to the actual Degree subject.

20 years after finally leaving school if you are relying principally on a piece of paper from school to be marketable then IMO you have / will have problems.

BTW No offence meant to Birmingham..................Poly :o

I was taking the urine :D Don't worry the place is a dump, although the post grad courses are excellent.

I also agree with your point about an inital degree not being necessarily the most important piece of paper, certainly if it is not a specific job related one.

Edited by mrtoad

The weakness of this thread is that we all have a personal bias. For example, I think the ChuChu palace is great but only because I met some of their awesome braniacs. I never took a class there and I doubt the contributors in this forum have completed sufficient course work at a representative cross section large enough to allow a proper opinion. So, how about we look at some rankings to help the discussion;

1. Here's the ranking from Thailand's Higher Education Commission in respect to undergrad programs. (At least it gives a Thai opinion.) http://www.orientexpat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9411

2. Interesting article from Jamaica Gleaner that puts developing world rankings in perspective. (Chu Chu ranks 121). http://www.nalanda.nitc.ac.in/misc/general...niversities.pdf

3. This guy ranks SE Asia unis by class size, scholarly articles referenced and library size.(Thailand has a low rank.) http://www.geocities.com/universities06/SEAranking.pdf

As many of the contributors have noted, what counts most is what you do with the diploma. I had to take something like 4 organic chem courses in undergrad and grad school, not only did I do poorly but I can't remember most of the course material and have never used it for my job. No one has ever asked me to break down an aromatic ring and substitute some chlorine onto it.

"As many of the contributors have noted, what counts most is what you do with the diploma. I had to take something like 4 organic chem courses in undergrad and grad school, not only did I do poorly but I can't remember most of the course material and have never used it for my job. No one has ever asked me to break down an aromatic ring and substitute some chlorine onto it. "

No student will subsequently 'use' (i.e. build upon) the majority of what they study in their degree(s).

Even in my subject of Electrical Engineering, I soon twigged that great swatches of the curriculum would be of no use to me (unless I happened to become curator of an industrial museum!). They were just there to fill out the syllabus. So they could be put into short-term memory and flushed out by a pint of beer in the hour after the end-of-year exam.

However, there were some parts (especially the work that I did in my Final Year Project) that had relevance to possible employment futures for me. Those went into longer-term memory, and were reflected upon when preparing for interviews.

When I strayed out of industry to jobs in academia, I had to re-study some of that stuff that I had flushed out with the beer, in order to teach it!

Students should be advised that their university studies are but a means to an end, to develop foresight as to what are the possibilities that that end will be, and to act accordingly.

Re post #53, is there really any point to consulting such tables of university rankings?

A good student will get more out of their years at a lowly-ranked university than a bad student will get out of their years at a highly-ranked university.

Another thing for potential applicants to bear in mind is that the factors on which a university scores well, and so gets a high place in the rankings, may not be the ones that impinge upon their particular place in the institution.

I happened to go to a school that thought that the be-all and end-all was to get its pupils into Cambridge, and did Maths in its Sixth Form. 54 of my contemporaries from Maths and other disciplines went on to Cambridge. However, my father had been there, and I was a bit sceptical. When I probed, I found that it was sensible to go there if you wanted to read Maths, but the undergraduate course in Electrical Engineering was mundane, poorly taught and very out-dated, with hardly any Electronics in it. (This was 55 years ago.)

I was a lucky to be privy to some inside knowledge, which revealed to me that Bangor had a very, very small Electrical Engineering Department, but the Prof was Emrys Williams, who had written one of the best textbooks on Electronics (and which was used at Cambridge in the third year). Because it was such a small Department, all students got some lectures from Prof Emrys in all three years, and he was excellent at guiding the Final Year students into thoroughly up-to-date projects.

Everybody (except my Dad) thought I was crazy to turn down a place at Cambridge and go to Bangor. But they were just being dazzled by the (well-earned) reputation of the Cavendish Labs at Cambridge. However, though that meant that Cambridge was an excellent place to do a PhD in my subject, it had no relevance whatsoever to undergraduate studies.

The upshot was that, before I had even finished my Final Year at Bangor, I was signed up for a cracking good first job, which I certainly wouldn't have got via Cambridge. And my five years of exceptional industrial experience got me a full Lectureship in Cambridge (on the other side of Parker's Piece, in what is now the Polytechnic University of East Anglia) at the tender age of 26.

OK, I was very lucky in that the necessary 'inside gen' came my way virtually unbidden. But it was all knowledge that was available to anyone who had spent a bit of time digging for it.

My advice to all students, when choosing where to go on to, is to take a quite hard-nosed attitude, and ask: "Exactly what is there in it for me?".

Never mind what wonderful things a place does for other students in other disciplines and which have earned the university a high place in the rankings.

It is what you as an individual on your individual programme will get out of it that is all that matters to you.

Caveat: except if you want to be a teacher in a posh International School and rise to Headteacher.

In that case, get (Cantab), (Harvard), or (Oxon) into the spaghetti behind your name, no matter how crummily you are treated in the process.

One of those brackets will work wonders with helping rich parents to decide to send their scions your way when they are deciding at which posh international school to spend an inordinate amount of money.

Getting back to the OP, don't be surprised, if you go to any Thailand university to find some really top notch women lecturers in the early years of their careers. And a goodly proportion of the women who are further on in their careers often have more than their fair share of 'intellectual horsepower'.

There are some very competent men, too, in Thailand's academia, but (judging from the ones that I have met or heard about) they are in a small minority.

I value privacy......that is why I am not being more specific. Maybe I went a bit too far........Thai universities do produce competent dentists and nurses and some biologists.......I would say they are very weak in physics, chemistry, engineering, social sciences, IT.....

More on the possibility that I am being racists.........I would advise the OP to study and get a degree in any of the following Asian countries before considering Thailand: Singapore, Malaysia, China, India.

These four countries are way ahead of Thailand in terms of higher academia (many of the universities in these countries have outstanding reputations). In these countries you find scholars that are recognized worldwide.

I am painting with a broad brush. But I can say that I have never accepted a scientific article from any Thai scholar (I participate in several peer review scientific journals). The exact opposite is the case for the four countries I mentioned.

The business world is outside my domain of expertise.......so is teaching English. Maybe Thailand is better there. My advise to the OP is to check the situation out carefully before making a firm decision. Thailand is a place (or used to be a place) to relax and have fun........it has never been known for its academic scene.

Based on your statements so far, we know that:

1. You are at the top of your field.

2. Your field is a scientific one.

3. You participate in peer review scientific journals to the extent that you can refuse submissions.

5. You have never accepted a paper for peer review from a Thai scholar.

4. You have taught at a wide range of universities around the world.

5. You have such formidable knowledge and experience of .."physics, chemistry, engineering, social sciences, IT..." in Thailand as well as all of the places 'known for their academic scenes' that you can pass such damning judgement on those fields in Thailand.

6. You obviously have a similarly deep knowledge of dentistry and nursing as you can state so authoritatively that Thailand produces competent graduates in both areas of medicine.

7. You appear not to know the definition of "racist". It is eminently possible for someone to adore the peoples of China, Malaysia, India and Singapore but still have a racist attitude toward Thais.

etc... (yawn)

The saying: "Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm the suspicion." goes very well with the words of Cicero (paraphrased): "To err is human. To continue in error is the domain of the fool."

The clarity of thought, command of the English language, precision of argument, and impressive depth and breadth of academic experience as well as achievement expressed in your postings must surely leave the more educated and intelligent of us utterly stunned (Of course, I am only guessing. I would never consider myself a member of this group.) at our good fortune to have such valuable and wise words squandered upon us by one who is surely far too busy and important to pay us any heed.

Oh wise one, I would beseech you in the most strenuous manner to continue preaching to us in private but then we might never discover who you are and, worse perhaps, your oh-so-blessed students (and peers, let us not forget!)would be denied the wholesome and educational opportunity to ask such an illustrious and learned scholar,

"Sir, please enlighten us, for we are thick of skull and light of mind - just what might we understand you to mean by 'the exact opposite' of '...I have never accepted a scientific article from any Thai scholar (I participate in several peer review scientific journals).'"

Interesting to note in that Higher Ed Commission report. #1 in Teaching and research was Mahidol University. Not Chula or Thammasat, although the seem to have the most vocal supporters.

I think you guys will find that in the last 10 years MU has rapidly outdistanced the other universities. They receive 3 times more research money and government allocations then their nearest rival.

Interesting to note in that Higher Ed Commission report. #1 in Teaching and research was Mahidol University. Not Chula or Thammasat, although the seem to have the most vocal supporters.

I think you guys will find that in the last 10 years MU has rapidly outdistanced the other universities. They receive 3 times more research money and government allocations then their nearest rival.

I would agree with what you've said regarding Mahidol. I'm not sure Thammasat even belongs in the top 4-5 schools.

I would agree with what you've said regarding Mahidol. I'm not sure Thammasat even belongs in the top 4-5 schools.

I have looked at several courses available through Mahidol, and it seems to offer the best courses in relation to Healthcare, such as Nursing and Medicine, although Chula still has the best rep for medicine as far as I am aware. As a few have mentioned, some less well known Universities are often leaders in certain areas, and I would assume that is the case even in Thailand.