Thai Beef

gennisis

Have been reading the suggestions following "Braised Beef Tonight" thread....so I tried this............

!.2 Kgm Thai Ku Rib Eye Beef at 650 /kilo.

Roughly chopped an onion and put it at the bottom of my slow cooker pot.

Seared the beef on all sides in the skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil...about 1 min a side.

Placed the beef in the pot with the searing oil and added 2 Tbl spoons water.

Added freshly ground black pepper.

Cooked on the low temp for 6 hours.

Removed the beef carefully.Surprisingly at least 1/2 pint of liquid in the pot.

Roast the beef in very hot..250 oC oven for 20 mins.

Results... Sliced a eaten hot with home made bread...probably the tastiest and most tender beef Ive had in years...which was a bit surprising considering the juices left in the pot.

Sliced cold today. with a salad....lovely!!...sandwiches tonight with Colemans Mustard.

So that will put an end to the US/N.Z/Aust beef Ive been buying before now and the lower costs will go towards some decent red wine for a change.

Will try to do the same with some cheaper cuts next week.

Sorry....no photos...I cook to eat...not to photograph. :o

Yep, I love Thai beef. Could never trust an English "chef" who said Thai beef was crap and then made gravy for his Sunday roast out of Bisto cubes. That ain't gravy. Oh, but Bt650 a kilo is WAY overpriced. More like Bt250.

650 baht per kilo ????????? where do you shop ???????

I shop at Carrefour and depends what cut but prices are 210 - 265 baht per kilo

Yep, I love Thai beef. Could never trust an English "chef" who said Thai beef was crap and then made gravy for his Sunday roast out of Bisto cubes. That ain't gravy. Oh, but Bt650 a kilo is WAY overpriced. More like Bt250.

Beef in Big C up here in the sticks: Topside (rump) = Bht 220.00 per kg.

I make my gravy with Oxo. :D:o

Have been reading the suggestions following "Braised Beef Tonight" thread....so I tried this............

!.2 Kgm Thai Ku Rib Eye Beef at 650 /kilo.

Roughly chopped an onion and put it at the bottom of my slow cooker pot.

Seared the beef on all sides in the skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil...about 1 min a side.

Placed the beef in the pot with the searing oil and added 2 Tbl spoons water.

Added freshly ground black pepper.

Cooked on the low temp for 6 hours.

Removed the beef carefully.Surprisingly at least 1/2 pint of liquid in the pot.

Roast the beef in very hot..250 oC oven for 20 mins.

Results... Sliced a eaten hot with home made bread...probably the tastiest and most tender beef Ive had in years...which was a bit surprising considering the juices left in the pot.

Sliced cold today. with a salad....lovely!!...sandwiches tonight with Colemans Mustard.

So that will put an end to the US/N.Z/Aust beef Ive been buying before now and the lower costs will go towards some decent red wine for a change.

Will try to do the same with some cheaper cuts next week.

Sorry....no photos...I cook to eat...not to photograph. :D

650 baht per kg. :o

lLiving in Chaing Mai I do all my shopping at Rimping. I know their prices are up over Tesco and Carrefore but having tried these supermarkets,Rimping, I find better quality and much more choice for the foods I want. Back home I would shop at Waitrose not Aldi.

Regarding Beef prices I did say that I had cooked Thai KU Beef. This I understand Is the top quality of home reared Beef and seems to be priced midway between imported Beef and the standard Thai product. I have tried the cheaper Thai Beef ...Fillet at 230 for example and found it lacking both in taste and tenderness,but Im going to try with it and cook it like this last effort...certainly its OK for casseroles but as a stand alone meat I have yet to be convinced that its price outways the satisfaction of the KU.

jayenram,sounds delicious.

Where did you get your OXO ?

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available in Thailand. I get mine hand carried from UK.

Dont want to sound like an agent for Rimping,but OXO and BISTO are on sale there.Only thing I cant get there (as yet ) is Frey Bentos Steak & Kidney pies,but have asked them if they can get.

Daft,isnt it.....here I am in LOS surrounded by plenty,yet still crave goodies from UK.

buy thai beef from local markets in the morning

Baht 140/ kg

bleed it out and "age" it for about 5 days in the fridge

when it starts to get "greenish" on the outside it is well

and then any Thai beef is as tender as we Farangs used to get abroad :o

You could try this method for those not so expensive cuts of beef. This is from the website of the daughter of a friend of ours. Haven't tried it, but might be worth a shot if you want to grill your beef.

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/08/28/h...i-prime-steaks/

no Knead bread:

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/09/10/n...read-revisited/

Beachbunny

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many different qualities of Thai beef. The best I have had, was "Thai / French", and the piece was a Rib eye, looked the same as the best Australian grass fed or US corn fed beef, beautifully marbled but costs almost the same (THB 2400 /kg). The quality was excellent and in now way behind the best US or Australian. But the price is a bit to hefty for an every day diet. :o

Available at Villa Supermarket in Thonglor.

Baht 140/ kg

When you say bleed it out and age it for 5 days....what do you mean? Drain the bllod and then just stick in the fridge for 5 days? Let me know so I can try!!

Baht 140/ kg

When you say bleed it out and age it for 5 days....what do you mean? Drain the bllod and then just stick in the fridge for 5 days? Let me know so I can try!!

no, what I mean is Butchers at markets normally have "fresh meat" meaning slaughtered just a few hours before (provided you go early in the morning). In Western countries you buy beef, which is "aged".

I do my own ageing by:

1. having one of those larger rectangular plastic containers with a kind of tray inside (you get them at lotus, Big C etc

these containers they sell normally in order to put fresh vegetables into the fridge

2.I just put the 1-2 kg of Meat on top of that tray and seal the container airtight

3. put it in the fridge and normally you see after a while blood in the bottom of the container

4. this works very well even for frozen tenderloin from Thai-French etc

5. clean the blood out every day ! otherwise it starts smelling badly

6. wait 4-5 days (this is really up to taste) untill you see a greenish reflexion on the outside of the meat

7. ok, it smells a little, but many Chefs told me that's the way beef is the best

tried it many times and works ok

1-7 we normally don't know cause it is done by the western suppliers BEFORE the meat ends up in the supermarket

I heard from some "Nutritionist" that if the blood is still in the Meat, that's what makes it "hard" upon cooking, bbqing

Of course meat quality depends much more on how the cattle is fed and how the meat is cut.

Have you ever seen a Thai butcher cutting meat from a carcass ? O.M.G. !!

Anyway this is just a homemade "recipe", which gives you cheap, halfway decent steaks !

Maybe a real Chef or somebody who knows the why and how can explain us better here

good luck

Seppl :D

Baht 140/ kg

no, what I mean is Butchers at markets normally have "fresh meat" meaning slaughtered just a few hours before (provided you go early in the morning). In Western countries you buy beef, which is "aged".

I do my own ageing by:

1. having one of those larger rectangular plastic containers with a kind of tray inside (you get them at lotus, Big C etc

these containers they sell normally in order to put fresh vegetables into the fridge

2.I just put the 1-2 kg of Meat on top of that tray and seal the container airtight

3. put it in the fridge and normally you see after a while blood in the bottom of the container

4. this works very well even for frozen tenderloin from Thai-French etc

5. clean the blood out every day ! otherwise it starts smelling badly

6. wait 4-5 days (this is really up to taste) untill you see a greenish reflexion on the outside of the meat

7. ok, it smells a little, but many Chefs told me that's the way beef is the best

tried it many times and works ok

1-7 we normally don't know cause it is done by the western suppliers BEFORE the meat ends up in the supermarket

I heard from some "Nutritionist" that if the blood is still in the Meat, that's what makes it "hard" upon cooking, bbqing

Of course meat quality depends much more on how the cattle is fed and how the meat is cut.

Have you ever seen a Thai butcher cutting meat from a carcass ? O.M.G. !!

Anyway this is just a homemade "recipe", which gives you cheap, halfway decent steaks !

Maybe a real Chef or somebody who knows the why and how can explain us better here

good luck

Seppl :D

Great. Thanks a lot. I will be trying it next week. I plan to grill out next weekend!